AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Here is my subs response

I am having a hard time balancing the loudness of my subs and speakers for some reason. When my subs are set to 75 db's with the rest of the speakers and watching a movie I hardly get any bass like before. I only moved the outside subs into the corners and not behind the screen. I have to turn it up to 87 db's when calibrating just to hit the same spl during a movie. Something seems off to me. Notice the graph for the subs are usually around 85-105 db's for me and not it is 65 db's and I did not change the volume. Why is it so low? I might have to reboot something. Anyways, the DR's are very clear at reference and lets in more detail than I can remember. It is just louder than before but the bass is less. The speakers are set to 75 db's and the subs are set to 87db's.

Can you explain why you replaced your old CHT subs? Or have you already explained that? I might have missed it. I though I recalled them extending at least an octave deeper and also had no problem easily playing at reference + levels. It seems like the horns are a step backwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1145 Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Did you do the Check Levels step in REW?

http://www.hometheatershack.com/room...level.html#top

If your SPL meter shows 75 from the LP/mic position when running pink noise from REW, but REW doesn't, you just need to adjust the input level on the sound card until the REW SPL meter matches the level that your standalone SPL meter shows.

I am pretty sure REW is right, it is my test tone's at 75 db's with the subs that seem off. I will measure with REW at the seats and see where the subs are in reference to the speakers. I will run all speakers on with subs. Usually when they are flat with this mode everything is setup perfect. Maybe the corner placements of the 2 subs is sucking out bass but it should indicate that on calibration. I am sure I will figure it out. Just think, once I get my new MIC up and running I will EQ this all over again and include above 10KHz which could have a peak and causing the DR's to sound too loud at reference. BTW, the M&K's were slightly too loud for reference as well. The Triads compressed at Reference but below sound quite good. Once all these speakers are tested the winner will stay and I might compare them to newer Triads.
post #273 of 1145 Old 09-01-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Can you explain why you replaced your old CHT subs? Or have you already explained that? I might have missed it. I though I recalled them extending at least an octave deeper and also had no problem easily playing at reference + levels. It seems like the horns are a step backwards.

Actually the CHT subs had the same kind of rolloff when I did not use a cal file in REW for the RS meter. I measured the CHT subs with cal files and the horn subs without. Not really an apples to apples comparison. The best comparsion is that the CHT sub system could hit 122 db's at 10 hz and this one could hit 110 db's at 10 hz both with 10% THD. My conclusion is over 110 db's with sine waves is not needed for movies since I have not seen any movie scene with a 0dbFS at 10hz and below, they are usually recorded at -10dbFS which means 105 db's is needed to hit reference during that scene. Maybe 110 db's if all the speakers and LFE were summed but the horn system could still handle that. I have 2 Cap1000's coming my way and I will test them the same way. I originally changed subs for room and needed some cash flow for my roof. Well, now that is over I am back at it again. From 20hz and up the F-20's are monsters and extend enough in my room. I love the design and will swap out the drivers(when available) to get another 6 db's at 10hz or 116 db's but it would be overhead. In summary, these F-20's in room have no trouble playing reference during any movie scene with just 250 watts into each one. I find myself turning them down all the time except for this new problem.

BTW, getting back at my spl problem with the subs, When I played FOTP the other day(for the guy that brought me the BFM system) my subs were calibrated to 78 db's and I noticed the bass was missing(what I am used to) so I had to turn it up 6 db's to get it right. When I went back to calibrate again I had to turn down the subs 10 db's to hit 75 db's but the bass was missing again. Maybe one or 2 of the subs came unplugged while I moved it, quick and easy check will rule that out. I have never needed to turn up the bass to 87 db's during calibration to get what I call normal bass(120-122 peaks). Usually 87 db's pins the meter all the time like back when I had the eD system. Maybe my amp is having trouble? There are no gain knobs on the amp.

I am using the older version of this amp which I had the many internals replaced so it is like new inside.

http://www.ada.net/products/ht/mpa_502.php
post #274 of 1145 Old 09-01-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You guys will never guess what the problem was. I would set the subs to 90 DBS which is 15 DBS hot and still the bass was compressed during a movie. As a matter of fact the test tone at 90 DBS was stronger than the movie. I knew it had to do with DTS-HD and true HD or the PS3. I started thinking on what I changed recently besides processor and speakers. It then hit me and I thought impossible but let's try anyways. I had switches HDMI cables running from the PS3 and processor. I swapped back in the original and to be safe I turned the gain back down to 78 DBS on the LFE trim and BAM!!! The bass was so much stronger and all the dynamics came back. It was no longer too loud just crystal clear and huge dynamic sound. I put in Tron, FOTP, WOTW, The Dark Night, Dave Matthews and my friend said holy crap as it was very loud and clear. The dynamics are the best on this system and the detail is the best. Also, the sound is huge again with extended and lots of energy in the high frequencies. It is like combining the JBL's and M&K's but more dynamics than both. The Midbass is on par with the JBLs but remember the JBLs were in a room too small for them. I also have these wired and not properly crossed over but letting them play the whole range each so it can only get better. These are not laid back speakers they are in your face and will take your ears off if you let them. I played Dave Matthews with sustained peaks of 102 DBS at the seats or 114 DBS at the speakers with all the detail and no compression and it was very loud. This was -5 on the master volume. I also discovered on Tron that my side surrounds can't handle reference levels. I had to watch it at -5 MV which never happened with DTS HBR thru optical. The back surrounds did fine. My friend said this is the best ever. I guess you can say that the BFM system wins the shootout for now and becomes the new reference for me. This front stage will be cheaper than the JTRS but slightly more than the rest. They will be difficult to beat. It is the first system I would take over the JBLs outright. The MKs did some things better but not all so it was a lateral move and downgrade in some regards but much smaller. BTW I played all the movies at reference and started to hear the farting noises from the side channels so by time I got to Tron I turned it down. I might just throw the 5000's back there so I can have peace of mind although temporary because they are too big for surrounds.
post #275 of 1145 Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Mk,

Not sure if you have covered this, but why do you have two center channels?
post #276 of 1145 Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa View Post

Mk,

Not sure if you have covered this, but why do you have two center channels?

The top one is not in use right now but the DRS act like line arrays when stacked. When I try it out I will aim down at my lp even more.
post #277 of 1145 Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Ok just so I know..... Are you using the ported DR200, Or are you using the sealed DR200's for L/C/R?
post #278 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post

Ok just so I know..... Are you using the ported DR200, Or are you using the sealed DR200's for L/C/R?

Ported.
post #279 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1224
Quote:

If we can create a DR speaker with a jbl 2225 or 2226 you can call it a day.

DR280, but with a 2206.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #280 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

DR280, but with a 2206.

Nice! Not needed at all incorporating the T-39's. Amazing dynamics and huge sound. The detail is also on another level.
post #281 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Bill,

Question.....what are the polars like for a DR280 vs DR200? Does the main horn get more directive near the XO freq? Also, how is the pathlength difference mitigated between the main horn and the piezos, or is it inaudible?

Looks like MK has found a great solution. Can't wait to see measurements/impressions after proper XO and EQ....

The DRs must be one of the biggest values around in $$/dB.

JSS
post #282 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Bill,

Question.....what are the polars like for a DR280 vs DR200?

Being wider the 280 LF horn has narrower dispersion than the 200. It's one reason why the 280 isn't recommended for smaller venues.
Quote:

how is the pathlength difference mitigated between the main horn and the piezos,

It isn't.
Quote:

or is it inaudible?

It's audible to the extent that the highs lead the lows, so precedence effect makes them seem brighter, especially when compared to a direct radiating woofer/horn loaded HF cab where the lows lead the highs.

post #283 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The brighter sound leads to crystal clear sound of all the details in the soundtrack. I have been doing this for a while now and I noticed things I never did before including bad things in recordings. It makes a very exciting cinema experience.
post #284 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Very cool, thanks for the replies, Bill. And with MiniDSP, you could Bi-Amp with miniscule amounts of power to reach reference and compare the two, time aligned vs not....

I bet there will be many more DR HT builds in the future....they seem to be very good for a room like yours, MK.....long, relatively narrow, and well treated with absorption to absorb any lobing issues in the vertical direction with the stacked piezos, and any power response issues in the horizontal direction.....well aimed at the seating position, and with the absorption mentioned above, you have a low power, high spl winner with good EQ...

Have you thought of turning your T39's upside down to have the LF mouth closer to the MF mouth? But maybe the floor bounce wouldn't be so nice, freq response-wise....

JSS
post #285 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I never thought anything yet. The response was pretty good as is so I did not bother with different placement yet.
post #286 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The brighter sound leads to crystal clear sound of all the details in the soundtrack.

Also be aware that 'piezo harshness' can be them highlighting distortion in the signal chain. They're so revealing of it that you can use them as clipping detectors.

post #287 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Also be aware that 'piezo harshness' can be them highlighting distortion in the signal chain. They're so revealing of it that you can use them as clipping detectors.

With the new HDMI cable everything is back to normal as reference levels is concerned. I am watching priest right now at reference with no problems. I agree that you can hear clipping mics in recordings as I now can clearly hear it during Tron air attack scene.
post #288 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

TRON clips in several locations in the soundtrack....I thought I had a bad disc at times the first time I saw it, but nary a scratch....and another disc clipped at the same spots....

Some of the clipping is intentional (Daft Punk at work), some I don't think was.....

Transformers 2 also has lots of clipped mics when people are shouting...I keep thinking my speakers are distorting out, but I playback at lower volume to find the artifact is still there....FilmMixer commented that Greg Russell's job mixing the film was a difficult one with the varying quality of the actual shoot audio vs the stuff recorded later in ADR....

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.....

JSS
post #289 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I started noticing mic clipping in scenes I had watched many times before when I upgraded from my Paradigm studio setup to the JTR setup. I felt the same way you did maxmercy until I ran similar tests.

David Budo
post #290 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

TRON clips in several locations in the soundtrack....I thought I had a bad disc at times the first time I saw it, but nary a scratch....and another disc clipped at the same spots....

Some of the clipping is intentional (Daft Punk at work), some I don't think was.....

Transformers 2 also has lots of clipped mics when people are shouting...I keep thinking my speakers are distorting out, but I playback at lower volume to find the artifact is still there....FilmMixer commented that Greg Russell's job mixing the film was a difficult one with the varying quality of the actual shoot audio vs the stuff recorded later in ADR....

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.....

JSS

Sometimes but I like the accurate detail. I will give a difference between these and others. During WOTW when everyone is surrounding the hole in the ground you can hear the sizzle from the smoke. With the BFM system can really hear it and I just looked to my friend(he picked this for demo as t s his favorite) and we both commented on how good that was compared to the past. It is little things like that I look for because overall they are all great systems. While watching priest the clarity is just awesome. I am liking this more and more. I bet the speakers are breaking in better as they were brand new. I think Bill did a great job with these. I would recommend the 20 inch T-39 since it is much smaller and is almost the same width as the DR-200. The bad news with these re 2 things. They need lots of tweaking but they are for DIYers anyway and you an clearly hear when something was not recorded as good as something else. You can hear it before but not at this level. Now the T-39's reallyare not needed for thwarted since we would cross over to cable subs but they are pure fun. Just think of all the systems I have had and my friend was just laughing at the pure dynamics.
post #291 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok I just ran thru LOTR on a few scenes and this DTS-HD track is one of the loudest and reference levels was just great. No harshness just loud clear sound. If you guys have not figured it out by now these win the shootout so far and await the next challenger. I remember playing a certain scene from fellowship and the jbl 3622n almost sound harsh as t thru the sound sound at me too much which did not happen often. I think that was the only time and the DR's played it nice and smooth. It is the part when they come out of the cave after losing Gandoff and the girl starts to sing. It gets loud and the JBL got too loud at reference, just for a second. Nothing like that happened tonight which actually surprised me. I still can't believe that brand new HDMI cable from monoprice compressed the LFE and made the highs too loud. I have 2 more I should try to see if t was just one bad cable and not the design.
post #292 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Good Stuff MK!

I'm not sure if swapping HDMI cables automatically changes the PS3 settings some how but when you swap cables you may want to check your PS3 settings and make sure that DRC is turned off. That may have caused the problem. Just incase you were not aware, it's in the PS3 Menu under:

"Settings > Video Settings > BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control"

You will want to make sure this is set to "OFF".

I have no idea why its under "Video Settings" either nor can I see why swapping cables would impact this unless the setting was previously set to "Automatic" or as you stated a bad cable.

Thx,
Claude
post #293 of 1145 Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Good Stuff MK!

I'm not sure if swapping HDMI cables automatically changes the PS3 settings some how but when you swap cables you may want to check your PS3 settings and make sure that DRC is turned off. That may have caused the problem. Just incase you were not aware, it's in the PS3 Menu under:

"Settings > Video Settings > BD/DVD Dynamic Range Control"

You will want to make sure this is set to "OFF".

I have no idea why its under "Video Settings" either nor can I see why swapping cables would impact this unless the setting was previously set to "Automatic" or as you stated a bad cable.

Thx,
Claude

That was the first thing I checked and it was still off. It was the cable.
post #294 of 1145 Old 09-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
1) Do the DR's have their own crossovers?

2) What kind of equipment is needed to "tweak" this in order for them to be suitable for Home Theater?
post #295 of 1145 Old 09-04-2011, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisafa
1) Do the DR's have their own crossovers?

2) What kind of equipment is needed to "tweak" this in order for them to be suitable for Home Theater?
Not sure but I just use eq. I think there are filters.
post #296 of 1145 Old 09-05-2011, 11:07 AM

Liked: 10
The Dr's have a high and low pass filter installed.
I am the builder that built them for him.

MKtheater has shown me the light....My wife and I are making plans on building our own in the near future.
post #297 of 1145 Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDrums View Post

The Dr's have a high and low pass filter installed.
I am the builder that built them for him.

MKtheater has shown me the light....My wife and I are making plans on building our own in the near future.

You should hear the Speakers running together for a movie. Dynamics and detail have gone up. I am still having trouble with my bass going in and out. It might be a HDMI issue between my processor and PS3. I am going to hook up an optical to see what happens. BTW, the bass was off when you heard them.
post #298 of 1145 Old 09-05-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
There has to be something else going on with your system. I could understand if 1 hdmi cable was bad, even though you're only losing a portion of the sound which is weird in the digital domain, but for 2 cables to be bad I think something different is going wrong. I have 3 hdmi cables I got from my cable company and they have been beat to hell and at times stored in my attic where daily temps in the summer feel like an oven. All of them still work fine. I guess its completely possible but not very likely. Maybe a connection somewhere else?
post #299 of 1145 Old 09-05-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

There has to be something else going on with your system. I could understand if 1 hdmi cable was bad, even though you're only losing a portion of the sound which is weird in the digital domain, but for 2 cables to be bad I think something different is going wrong. I have 3 hdmi cables I got from my cable company and they have been beat to hell and at times stored in my attic where daily temps in the summer feel like an oven. All of them still work fine. I guess its completely possible but not very likely. Maybe a connection somewhere else?

Your right I never had problems with my HDMI cables before. Maybe my PS3 is having issues. I swapped between bitstream and linear PCM and it was the same. I will also connect my optical to see if it is a HDMI issue which I think it is.
post #300 of 1145 Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Can you achieve chest pounding frequencies without the T39's?

Just wondering if by using a sub that goes to 200hz would do the same thing or not. I know the T39 adds alot in the 60hz and up as you have it setup but I didn't know if my subs going to a higher frequency would achieve the same results.

Remember reading how others with dual 15/18's tuned to around 40hz gave an amazing slam you could feel in your chest. SO didn't know if you felt without the T39's you would have this slam?

I would be building the DR200's and just using the sealed subs I have for a while. Then down the road when I have more money and a dedicated room I would add the T39's if needed.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl Professional 4645c Cinema Thx Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page