Speaker Shootout!! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 1145 Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

You'll pick it up in no time at all. there is always more to learn, naturally, but just to get the grand jist of things, read up all you can, ask questions when you hit road blocks. Most importantly, experiment and try new things out!! It hasnt even been a full year since I joined and the information ive learned just over this past year has put me WAY ahead of the knowledge I had coming into it

I don't want to derail the thread, was just curious is all. Sometimes reading through all of these graphs makes me feel like a complete noob sometimes. Guess it is time to get some of the software people use on here and see what I can learn in my own time.

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

my blu ray collection -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


my modest theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smigro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 1145 Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I am still learning and ask questions all the time. I am just having fun. Some say you need flat to 3 hz and others say no as bAss is concerned. I can tell you that the bass with both is just crazy. I just happen to like to play what is on the disc and damn it, 3hz is there. Oh well and it keeps me trying new gear
MKtheater is online now  
post #453 of 1145 Old 10-05-2011, 12:47 PM
 
BiGBADDABOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
By the way, MK I think what you want is the 2ohm IB318's. 4 in series on each channel of the FP14000?

Probably need a second opinion from someone who knows what they're talking about. I'm not sure I've got the math right there, or haven't missed another obvious alternative.
BiGBADDABOOM is offline  
post #454 of 1145 Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGBADDABOOM View Post

By the way, MK I think what you want is the 2ohm IB318's. 4 in series on each channel of the FP14000?

Probably need a second opinion from someone who knows what they're talking about. I'm not sure I've got the math right there, or haven't missed another obvious alternative.

Thanks this is info I need very soon though so I can get the ball rolling.
MKtheater is online now  
post #455 of 1145 Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
The Truth Hz
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,441
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Thanks this is info I need very soon though so I can get the ball rolling.

Check that! four 2 ohm drivers wired is series will yield an 8 ohm load per channel. parallel is not doable as it will show a .5 ohm load.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beastaudio is online now  
post #456 of 1145 Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post


Check that! four 2 ohm drivers wired is series will yield an 8 ohm load per channel. parallel is not doable as it will show a .5 ohm load.

How do I wire this up from driver to driver to amp channels?
MKtheater is online now  
post #457 of 1145 Old 10-05-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mjaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Do you want to wire them up for 4 or 8 ohm? If you want a 4 ohm load then get 4 4ohm subs and use the calculator below to wire them up:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...4&I=41#results

4ohm subs would probably be better for re-sale as well.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
mjaudio is offline  
post #458 of 1145 Old 10-05-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Do you want to wire them up for 4 or 8 ohm? If you want a 4 ohm load then get 4 4ohm subs and use the calculator below to wire them up:

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...4&I=41#results

4ohm subs would probably be better for re-sale as well.

I guess I would want a 4 ohm load so the amp is running 2 4 ohm loads per channel. The amp can handle that than I am fine. I still don't understand the wiring.
MKtheater is online now  
post #459 of 1145 Old 10-05-2011, 04:12 PM
 
BiGBADDABOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The only problem with that is you're now feeding 1100w per driver instead of 587.5w:

BiGBADDABOOM is offline  
post #460 of 1145 Old 10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
The Truth Hz
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,441
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 728
the amp wont be running 2 four ohm load perchannel, you wire the speakers up together and into the amp so with doing 8 speakers, your impedance for four four ohm speakers per channel will be a choice between 1 ohm and 16 ohm, neither will work. the two ohm setup you had decided on is perfect and running the amp at 8 ohms, youll never have any problems.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beastaudio is online now  
post #461 of 1145 Old 10-06-2011, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

the amp wont be running 2 four ohm load perchannel, you wire the speakers up together and into the amp so with doing 8 speakers, your impedance for four four ohm speakers per channel will be a choice between 1 ohm and 16 ohm, neither will work. the two ohm setup you had decided on is perfect and running the amp at 8 ohms, youll never have any problems.

I am sorry but I still don't remember how to wire the drivers together. I did this once for buttkickers. Will all 4 drivers be wired in series or from + to - ?
MKtheater is online now  
post #462 of 1145 Old 10-06-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I am sorry but I still don't remember how to wire the drivers together. I did this once for buttkickers. Will all 4 drivers be wired in series or from + to - ?

From my days in car audio, I used to have a Chevy S10 low rider with 6 12" JLW6, and I think that is how I had them wired.

Xbox GT / PSN ID - Smigro

my blu ray collection -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


my modest theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Smigro is offline  
post #463 of 1145 Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 AM
The Truth Hz
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 7,441
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I am sorry but I still don't remember how to wire the drivers together. I did this once for buttkickers. Will all 4 drivers be wired in series or from + to - ?

go to the link that mjaudio linked, and put them in a series (really series/parallel wiring), basically think of the drivers in pairs. You will have TWO pairs of drivers PER channel of the amp. You will only have ONE +/- wire going back to the amp PER CHANNEL. for each pair of subs, you wire one driver's positive to the other driver's negative, do this for both pairs, no wire should be going to the amp yet, just a wire from the + of one driver to the - of the second driver in the pair.

now lets look at a single channel of the amp. You now have 4 drivers, each with only ONE of the + or -'s free, that means you have two positives and two negatives free if you are doing it right so far. wire the two negative wires together with a single lead heading back to the amp and the two positives together with a single wire back to the amp. Now you have one channel done, did I lose you anywhere? haha now do it all over again for the other four drivers on the second channel DONE

this will yield the same impedance as the drivers you are wiring to correct my previous statement. true series wiring for 2 ohm drivers will get you 8 ohm, the above on 2 ohm will get you 2 ohm.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beastaudio is online now  
post #464 of 1145 Old 10-08-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post


go to the link that mjaudio linked, and put them in a series (really series/parallel wiring), basically think of the drivers in pairs. You will have TWO pairs of drivers PER channel of the amp. You will only have ONE +/- wire going back to the amp PER CHANNEL. for each pair of subs, you wire one driver's positive to the other driver's negative, do this for both pairs, no wire should be going to the amp yet, just a wire from the + of one driver to the - of the second driver in the pair.

now lets look at a single channel of the amp. You now have 4 drivers, each with only ONE of the + or -'s free, that means you have two positives and two negatives free if you are doing it right so far. wire the two negative wires together with a single lead heading back to the amp and the two positives together with a single wire back to the amp. Now you have one channel done, did I lose you anywhere? haha now do it all over again for the other four drivers on the second channel DONE

this will yield the same impedance as the drivers you are wiring to correct my previous statement. true series wiring for 2 ohm drivers will get you 8 ohm, the above on 2 ohm will get you 2 ohm.

It looks like the JTRs will get here first. They ship on monday.


Hey guys, can the FI IB3 fit into a 10 cubic foot box? I mean 2 of them. Just checking all options.
MKtheater is online now  
post #465 of 1145 Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
That means 5 cuft worth of volume to each driver. They are not meant for small sealed enclosures, I do not think they model all that well either.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #466 of 1145 Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I am sorry but I still don't remember how to wire the drivers together. I did this once for buttkickers. Will all 4 drivers be wired in series or from + to - ?

2 drivers 2 ohms each wired in series (+ wired to - ) will yield 4 ohms. If you want to see wiring, just google "series wiring", lots of pics out there.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #467 of 1145 Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Thanks Penn I will stick with IB then. I am just wondering how or what I should be using for the wall(construction). I will then have to seal the speakers very well too.
MKtheater is online now  
post #468 of 1145 Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
smbsocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

It looks like the JTRs will get here first. They ship on monday.

Looking forward to the review. . .
smbsocal is offline  
post #469 of 1145 Old 10-12-2011, 05:54 AM
Senior Member
 
smbsocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Did the JTRs arrive?
smbsocal is offline  
post #470 of 1145 Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post

Did the JTRs arrive?

Thursday.
MKtheater is online now  
post #471 of 1145 Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Updates???
mojomike is offline  
post #472 of 1145 Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dbuudo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

updates???

+1

David Budo
Dbuudo07 is offline  
post #473 of 1145 Old 10-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
jmalto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hmm.. I feel a disturbance in the force.
jmalto is offline  
post #474 of 1145 Old 10-15-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Delivery guy had the wrong number so I have to wait until Monday now. We are getting really close. I am also building an IB to replace the F-20's just because.
MKtheater is online now  
post #475 of 1145 Old 10-15-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dbldare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Broomfield, CO USA
Posts: 2,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Now I guess we know what the great disturbance in the force was

Sorry James....


dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
dbldare is offline  
post #476 of 1145 Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM
 
BiGBADDABOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Delivery guy... success?!
BiGBADDABOOM is offline  
post #477 of 1145 Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGBADDABOOM View Post

Delivery guy... success?!

Tomorrow from 1-5 is delivery time.
MKtheater is online now  
post #478 of 1145 Old 10-18-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bunga99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Tomorrow from 1-5 is delivery time.

Thats great but how's your recovery going for the knee surgery? Please remember to take it easy. I have a good friend that had the knee replacement surgery just a month ago and he went overboard with trying to walk to quick and doing to much at all at once and now he's back in the hospital having that same knee worked on again.

Thx,
Claude


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bunga99 is online now  
post #479 of 1145 Old 10-18-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post


Thats great but how's your recovery going for the knee surgery? Please remember to take it easy. I have a good friend that had the knee replacement surgery just a month ago and he went overboard with trying to walk to quick and doing to much at all at once and now he's back in the hospital having that same knee worked on again.

Thx,
Claude

Thanks. My younger friends want me to be better already but have no idea how long a double TKR really takes. Walking is easy but bending and getting to a certain degree is much more important. I can tell you guys that the pain is worse than anything I have felt before. It is crazy!! I try to get my friends to carry and move everything as I can not an should not.
MKtheater is online now  
post #480 of 1145 Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Avliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Best luck on your recovery, MK!

Maybe you better NOT have the delivery guy knocking at your door by now, as you might be tempted to do some extra effort carrying your new babies inside, though

Wish you all the best

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Avliner is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Jbl Professional , Jbl Harman Kardon , Jbl Professional 4645c Cinema Thx Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - 4645c by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off