choise of speakers for Pioneer VSX-31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Appreciate any input on this. Newbie to the world of experts on this forum.

So I got the VSX-31 form costco, someone said "good deal buy it". I did but now what. Considering that I invested good money still on it I decided to get some decent speakers to go with it for my new house.

Room I am looking to add these speakers is media room in basement.
Size is about 15x25 Sofa set is at about 15 feet from TV and there is another 10 feet space behind for threadmill.

I placed my budget for speakers to 600$ approx.
Now that I am looking for some speaker choices to go along, here is what I narrowed down to:

110$ Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker @ Amazon
79$ Polk Audio Monitor Series CS1 Center Channel @ Amazon

100 $ Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch @ Amazon
185 $ Front-firing 12" 475-watt peak powered subwoofer @ shopblt.com
210 $ Lava 10" sub $245, take off 15% as an AVS Forum member. @ lavasubs.com

150$ Polk Audio RTi4 High Performance Bookshelf/On-Wall Speakers (Pair, Black) @ Amazon
120$ Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair @ newegg

90$ Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair @ newegg

90$ Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair @ newegg

Does it look like a good choice that I made?

I am confused especially on the choice of Bass and Front speakers, which will hold a good share of audio experience.

Any input is appreciated, Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
some general comments... in the Polk line you do not want the PSW10 - it was made to a price point and little else. The PSW505 is as low as you should go with Polk subs.

Newegg.com also has Polk Monitor Series II speakers at excellent prices. Sign up for their daily email specials and you can save some serious money on these speakers.

You do not want to mix series in the "front 3".....don't mix the RTi4's in with a Monitor (same as TSi) center. Your center channel is one of the most important speakers you use, so match it to the L & R fronts.

I would not use a Monitor30 for a center, get the CS1 or CS2 (large, but very good if you have the room).

And just to confuse the issue, a great bundle from Jamo http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../jamo-s606hcs3
post #3 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

some general comments... in the Polk line you do not want the PSW10 - it was made to a price point and little else. The PSW505 is as low as you should go with Polk subs.

Newegg.com also has Polk Monitor Series II speakers at excellent prices. Sign up for their daily email specials and you can save some serious money on these speakers.

You do not want to mix series in the "front 3".....don't mix the RTi4's in with a Monitor (same as TSi) center. Your center channel is one of the most important speakers you use, so match it to the L & R fronts.

I would not use a Monitor30 for a center, get the CS1 or CS2 (large, but very good if you have the room).

And just to confuse the issue, a great bundle from Jamo http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../jamo-s606hcs3

I think you are right on the money.

The Jamo system is a great buy, but right now, he can get from Newegg the Polk Monitor 60 (pair), the Monitor 30 (pair) and the CS2 for about $415.

Add in the BIC F12 and he is within his budget of $600.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

I think you are right on the money.

The Jamo system is a great buy, but right now, he can get from Newegg the Polk Monitor 60 (pair), the Monitor 30 (pair) and the CS2 for about $415.

Add in the BIC F12 and he is within his budget of $600.

Thanks for the input.
I had an eye on jamo but decided to ignore it for being 5.0 now that you have mentioned..
Should I think about hooking my 7.1 amp to 5.0 speakers in together or I still need to add some speakers to make it a complete set?

Regarding "Newegg the Polk Monitor 60 (pair), the Monitor 30 (pair) and the CS2 for about $415."
Unless I am getting wrong:
Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Black) Each is 150$
Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair is 90$
Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker (Black) for 100
This comes to 150*2 + 90 + 100 = 490, is there another rebate to make it to 415 instead? How about rear speakers, I guess will need to add them also isnt it?
post #5 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutta81 View Post

Thanks for the input.
I had an eye on jamo but decided to ignore it for being 5.0 now that you have mentioned..
Should I think about hooking my 7.1 amp to 5.0 speakers in together or I still need to add some speakers to make it a complete set?

Regarding "Newegg the Polk Monitor 60 (pair), the Monitor 30 (pair) and the CS2 for about $415."
Unless I am getting wrong:
Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Black) Each is 150$
Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair is 90$
Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker (Black) for 100
This comes to 150*2 + 90 + 100 = 490, is there another rebate to make it to 415 instead? How about rear speakers, I guess will need to add them also isnt it?

Here is the link to the Monitor 60's.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290207

You will need to add the coupon code to get the price I quoted. For that, you will need to login or create an account if you don't already have one.

If I understand your question correctly, no, you do not need to use your 7.1 receiver with 7.1 one speakers. It should work fine and dandy as a 5.1 one system.

Is that helpful?
post #6 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd hold off on 7.1 for now. Most soundtracks are 5.1. I'd invest in either a pair of stands or the best blu-ray player you can get for now.

Newegg puts Polk speakers on sale all the time. I think this week the 60s are down to 109 each. Look for the discount code if you're going to pull the trigger on those.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinFan View Post

I'd hold off on 7.1 for now. Most soundtracks are 5.1. I'd invest in either a pair of stands or the best blu-ray player you can get for now.

Newegg puts Polk speakers on sale all the time. I think this week the 60s are down to 109 each. Look for the discount code if you're going to pull the trigger on those.

it seems like the 60s go for anywhere from 110-140 every other week. Question for the Polk owners, on the other thread an owner mentioned that the 60s should be matched with the CS1 and the 70s with the CS2, any truth in this?
post #8 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I would get the CS2 with either set of towers since the price difference isn't all that much, usually around $30.

Polk recommends either center with the Monitor 60 but I'd go for the bigger center.
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...ent/monitor60/

Afro GT
post #9 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I would get the CS2 with either set of towers since the price difference isn't all that much, usually around $30.

Polk recommends either center with the Monitor 60 but I'd go for the bigger center.

Thanks for the link, table made perfect sense to me now.
Also thanks for other info posted regarding "I'd hold off on 7.1 for now. Most soundtracks are 5.1." definitely helps my short term budgeting.

Also since that I was considering Black only couldn't take the cherry Monitor 60 deal "Homeminister order" :P

Looking now at choices I got:
Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Black) Each = 150*2
Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker (Black) Each = 95
Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair = 120
& mayhem FORMULA F-12 FRONT = 185$

I see my budget comes to 700+shipping without the rear speakers added for now.
I was thinking not to get everything in rush but to get speakers as and when the prices drop to best value to comfort me.
To me it looks like CS2 and Monitor40 are a good price at newegg currently. I am thinking to hold of on Monitor60 for black hoping if they come on better sale again sometime. what do you think of monitor60 prices is at low point of what newegg ever offered ?.
Appreciate your insight if you know on this.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutta81 View Post

Thanks for the link, table made perfect sense to me now.
Also thanks for other info posted regarding "I'd hold off on 7.1 for now. Most soundtracks are 5.1." definitely helps my short term budgeting.

Also since that I was considering Black only couldn't take the cherry Monitor 60 deal "Homeminister order" :P

Looking now at choices I got:
Polk Audio Monitor60 Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Black) Each = 150*2
Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker (Black) Each = 95
Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair = 120
& mayhem FORMULA F-12 FRONT = 18http://camelegg.com/product/N82E168822902065$

I see my budget comes to 700+shipping without the rear speakers added for now.
I was thinking not to get everything in rush but to get speakers as and when the prices drop to best value to comfort me.
To me it looks like CS2 and Monitor40 are a good price at newegg currently. I am thinking to hold of on Monitor60 for black hoping if they come on better sale again sometime. what do you think of monitor60 prices is at low point of what newegg ever offered ?.
Appreciate your insight if you know on this.

The $108 price on the M60's was pretty low. Here is a chart on the price history for them:

http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16882290206

You should be able to get them for $120 a piece pretty soon.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

The $108 price on the M60's was pretty low. Here is a chart on the price history for them:

You should be able to get them for $120 a piece pretty soon.

ah very nice link thank you. I will check all my choices on newegg and how they fared over the past now
post #12 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM

i don't think its 100%..just a few months ago the monitor70s were 149.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Monitor 60's in black will be on sale for $60 within a week, two at most. Its pretty consistent. Just wait it out to save yourself $80+

Order everthing else now while it's on sale.

Afro GT
post #14 of 16 Old 08-15-2011, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Monitor 60's in black will be on sale for $60 within a week, two at most. Its pretty consistent. Just wait it out to save yourself $80+

Finally ordered form newegg:
Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel Speaker (Black)
Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Black) Pair
a dent of 226$ on CC.

Waiting for Polk Audio Monitor60 to go on sale hopefully a 1-2 week at-most, will order a pair then.

BTW,
I was noticing Sony SA-W2500 and it mentions
- Power Consumption (in Operation) : 70W (Subwoofer)
- Power Consumption (in Standby) : less then .3W (Subwoofer)
So it looks like this may be a good thing when not in operation to eye for.
I am lazy and hate keeping to switch off appliances when not in use at times. Switching of subwoofer will have to be manual since, remote wont work here.

[Ques]-1
My question is does BIC F-12, Polk PSW505, LSP10-lavasubs also offer energy saving features? I couldn't find anything for power saving info on all 3 of them. Is it worth to think of power savings. I see them like a 100W bulb active all the time unless manually turned down otherwise.

[Ques]-2
How is Sony SA-W2500 with the polk 40,60 and CS2 combination to go with.

[Ques]-3
What is better considering that I already choose remaining speakers (if all have power savings of some sort):
230$ - Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)
185 $ Front-firing 12" 475-watt peak powered subwoofer @ shopblt.com
210 $ Lava 10" sub $245, take off 15% as an AVS Forum member. @ lavasubs.com
post #15 of 16 Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All those subs have an auto mode. they sit idle and only power up when a low frequency signal is being sent to them. I think you're worrying too much about power saving to be honest with you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrogt

That was supposed to say on sale for $60-80 less per pair, which means $109 each at their lowest price instead of the current $149. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Afro GT
post #16 of 16 Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

All those subs have an auto mode. they sit idle and only power up when a low frequency signal is being sent to them. I think you're worrying too much about power saving to be honest with you.

That was supposed to say on sale for $60-80 less per pair, which means $109 each at their lowest price instead of the current $149. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Thanks for clarifying my power saving doubts.

No sorry need to be mentioned, honestly you folks on this forum have helped me a alot especially in this thread itself, let alone be the amount of info posted on other threads comments etc.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page