How to keep speakers on stand? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-11-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased Sanus speaker stands and they are flat, with no mounting bracket or anything. They came with little adhesive triangles for each of the four corners, but I'm not confident that they will keep the speaker secure.

What are some suggestions? I've heard blue-tack works well, not sure where to buy it other than amazon, of course.

Also, I thought about using velcro strips to secure it to the stand.

And looking at home depot, I saw these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Would those maybe work better?

Which is the best of these three suggestions, and if there are, any better ones?

Also, will I lose any sound quality using an adhesive to secure the speaker to the stand?

Thanks, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Bluestik or bluetac will work just fine. they have a small adhesion without marking or maring the finish.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-11-2011, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
+1, Been using BluTack for years. It holds the speakers tight and doesn't leave a mark.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #4 of 14 Old 08-11-2011, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

+1, Been using BluTack for years. It holds the speakers tight and doesn't leave a mark.

are there any big stores (walmart, target, home depot, lowes, etc.) that carries blue-tack or is it online only?
post #5 of 14 Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFank View Post

are there any big stores (walmart, target, home depot, lowes, etc.) that carries blue-tack or is it online only?

BluTack isn't as easy to find as the BlueStik, FunTack or QuakeHold. I got FunTack at Wally World or the local hardware store, also check office supply and crafts stores.

The main thing to remember is that you are looking for museum putty. Ask for that.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

post #6 of 14 Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

BluTack isn't as easy to find as the BlueStik. I use both, I got the BlueStik at Wally World or the local hardware store.

The main thing to remember is that you are looking for blue museum putty. Ask for that.

So in other words, the link i posted from homedepot will be just the same or of equal quality as blu-tack?

Thanks.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

That will do it! Sorry for the confusion.

post #8 of 14 Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That will do it! Sorry for the confusion.

cool deal, thanks
post #9 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just did a google search and hit this as the first result. I too have the Sanus stands and was wondering how to add some security to my S30s that now sit on them (proudly I might add). Bumping for anybody else who may find this of use.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

I just did a google search and hit this as the first result. I too have the Sanus stands and was wondering how to add some security to my S30s that now sit on them (proudly I might add). Bumping for anybody else who may find this of use.

Use Blu-tack for my bookshelves on their individual stands. Great stuff. Try here:

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-Reusable-Adhesive/dp/B001FGLX72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361327751&sr=8-1&keywords=blu+tack

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #11 of 14 Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Please read the previous 8 post and you'll have your answer.

Afro GT
post #12 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I have two DefTech Studio 450's sitting on five foot plant stands with a flat metal base that matched the dimensions of the bookshelf speakers like they were made for them. Like you I was concerned since I have two big dogs and a clumsy as heck girlfriend. I found the perfect solution. Went to Home Depot and bought black flat bungee cords they are made of soft flat bungee cloth that stretched over the top of the speakers all the way to to the underside of the plant stand where they were locked together by the attached hooks. They are ultra secure and have never moved one iota. The bungees were cheap also about 2.00/ea.

Though not a great pictures only ones I could find where if you look at the top of the bookshelf you can see the bungee wrapping around the speaker sitting on Mopads and the metal plant stand. It is very secure and the bungee makes sure the speaker is very secure and never moves.

post #13 of 14 Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was bumping this thread because it helped me find the answer to keeping my speakers more secure on the stands. Since the thread was old, I thought maybe others would benefit form the nugget of knowledge that I found here.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

The bungie solution above gave me another idea. I went to Depot and found some 12' length velcro straps (non-sticky kind). I cut four lengths and wrapped 2 per speaker around the top and under the bottom plate. I may put a very small screw through the bottom of the strap and into the plate to keep the straps from floating around underneath.

I can rock the stands back and forth - my S30s are not going anywhere. I'm happy with it; thanks for the inspiration all.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page