Low volume in R surround speaker -- Denon receiver problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a pair of Polk OWM3 surround speakers to add to my home theater system. After connecting the surround speakers I have noticed that the volume coming out of the R surround speaker is extremely low.

I believe I have isolated the problem to the output of the R surround speaker coming out of my Denon AVR3311 receiver. I believe it is NOT the speaker wire or actual surround speaker, as I have tried switching the connections between the L and R speakers and the low volume problem switches to the other speaker -- this suggests that is is the R surround speaker output.

I have tried using the Audyssey auto setup and it still has the same problem. I have also tried the manual speaker setup -- even if I jack up the volume to +12DB for the R surround speaker it still has lower volume than the L surround speaker at normal volume. I am connecting the speakers to my receiver using simple stripped speaker wires, but even when connected to banana plugs i continue to have the same problem.

I believe there is a problem with my Denon AVR3311 receiver but I am not 100% sure -- does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2011, 10:39 PM

Did you buy it from an authorized source? If so, you have a warranty.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Schan, yes, i do have warranty so that's what i'll likely do, send it to Denon for repair. I just wanted to check to make sure I haven't missed anything before taking it to Denon. Thanks
post #4 of 10 Old 08-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Try putting on some music and switching to 7 channel stereo mode and see what happens. I recently thought the same after setting up my in laws 1910 last year. I only heard high frequencies coming from the speaker and it sounded odd. They have a very large room and the right rear is about 20 feet from the listening area. Then I realized audyssey sets the delay/level to be optimized for the listening position. At the center of the room where you sit, it sounded correct. Standing next to it, It sounded not right. Just to check, I turned on 7 channel stereo and the speaker sounded fine.

Possibility 2 is that the receiver is not handling the channels properly. I just recently had my 1910 get "confused" with Dolby digital. DTS HD & Dolby TrueHD were fine as was 2 channel stereo. DD would mix things up and my center channel would be misdirected but only when music played. Dialogue was still as it should be. Very strange. It happened with both directv and DVDs. Started after I was rerunning audyssey when I bought my new sub and it got stuck during setup. I did a microprocessor reset and it fixed the problem.

Good luck. Hope you get it figured out.

post #5 of 10 Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

thanks cjsiv, i'll try resetting the microprocessor.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Before you focus on the receiver I would switch the two Polk speakers to make sure that the problem is not in the new right speaker. If the sound problems moves to the left you have a speaker rather than receiver problem.

Home Theater is GREAT
post #7 of 10 Old 08-14-2011, 09:41 AM

He says he did that in his original post...in section 2.

I did forget that as well. You should also have a DIRECT mode. Find a 5.1 channel(or a BD/DVD) and play it direct.

Direct removes all audyssey/EQ/everything(accept volume trim). If it is still much quieter, even with raising it to +12(or whatever the highest is), then you definitely have a bad amp section.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

He says he did that in his original post...in section 2.

I did forget that as well. You should also have a DIRECT mode. Find a 5.1 channel(or a BD/DVD) and play it direct.

Direct removes all audyssey/EQ/everything(accept volume trim). If it is still much quieter, even with raising it to +12(or whatever the highest is), then you definitely have a bad amp section.

I've tried both DIRECT/PURE mode as well as resetting the microprocessor. Still the same problem. Looks like I'll be taking it in for repair...
post #9 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 AM

I bought a Denon 4311 and I have same issue this month ( August 2011). The Surround Right has very low to zero volume . It does not get detected in a Audessy Setup and neither is there a test tone from the speaker. This happens only for the Surround right channel . All other channels are working fine .

Is this becoming a common issue . Is there a problem with the Surr right amplification unit ?

I have done my research and and tried switiching the speakers . I have tried resetting the unit ... no use .
I have consulted a friend who works in this area and he said it is the amplification unit of the channel which will need replacement . This is a hardware issue . Maybe a batch of transistors that does the amplification was defective .
post #10 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 03:51 PM

My Denon AVR-886 has a similar problem except I typically don't get any sound from the right surround. If I crank the volume up loud briefly the channel kicks in and will continue to work for quite a while with the volume reduced. Web searching suggests that the problem is with the output protection relay for the channel which needs to be either cleaned or replaced. Unfortunately the unit is over 4 years old so no warranty.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page