Speaker and placement advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-27-2011, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Want to have surround sound in a room that is 9ft. 9in x 13ft 3 in. Right now I have Mirage 595is floorstanding front speakers with a matching center and I don't remember the model of the surrounds but they are decent size and have a flat front, sides that angle back and a flat wider back than the front. I am in need of a receiver and am trying to think about the whole setup before buying one. I have not had this system hooked up in several years and even then it was only the front and center, the surrounds have never been hooked up. The sub is 18 3/4 lengthwise x 15 1/2 wide. Without going into detail I can't set the room up lengthwise.

My sofa has a thick top so my head is about a foot and a half from the back wall so that would leave 8 feet from the opposite wall before I even move the speakers out from the wall. Needless to say if I move the speaker out much from the back wall the distance between me and the speaker will be 6 feet or less. The fronts have a rear port, the manual is confusing it mentions at least 15inches and at least 18 inches from the back wall. Should be palced 6 to 10 feet apart and the distance between the listener and the speakers should be 1 to 1.5 times the distance seperating the speakers. There is a doorway that goes into the kitcken in the right front corner as I sit and face the tv that is 10 feet over fron the wall on the other side lengthwise. so I would have 10 feet from there to the other wall for the speakers and rack for the electronics. Wouldn't leave much room for the sub because of it's size between the front speaker and wall so I would have to believe I would need to put it on the opposite side of the room to the right of the sofa. I hear subs really do need to be in the front near the center so I don't know how it would work on my right next to the sofa. If I pull the speakers out 18 inches from the back wall my head will be 6 ft away.

My questions are. Should I just get a receiver and hook up these speakers and see how they sound? I can barely have them set up within manufacturer recommendations. Should I worry about whether I can place them within the manufacturer recommendations or should I not worry about that and just see how they will sound setup best as possible with the space I have available? Or would you suggest not bothering and look at something like Orb Audio or a decent sub sat system that would have plenty of room to fit instead? I do understand that going to a smaller speaker system there are tradeoffs but some of them can have good sound. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions. The fronts are bipolar and I believe the rears are dipolar.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-28-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The fronts being bipolar are meant for people who really want that sound. They're not a typical speaker for home theater, as they add their own ambiance with the rear reflections coming out the back of the speaker, reflecting off the front and side walls.

The average direct radiating speaker will not be bipolar, so I don't know that you need to move to orb audio unless you want architectual speakers like that.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so you should really draw one and upload it, so we know what you have to work with. It's tough trying to picture it from your descriptions, and know what your concerns are.

Surround speakers in 5.1, especially with your couch against back wall, will need to be to your right and left, mounted on the side walls.

One subwoofer works best in the most common rectangular room at the front-center much of the time. But its highly dependent on YOUR room, the other front speakers, and where you listen. For all I know, your bipolar fronts, with their placement too close to the walls, and you sitting at the back wall, may mean that the sub SHOULD be in some other location, that's NOT at the front-center.

Set it up, listen to it, play with it, cruise the subwoofer forum, get a sound meter and download test tones and experiment with what works best.

If you find later you don't like the bipolar fronts, sell them and buy something else that yields the least compromises in what's important to you.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page