22feet viewing distance – where to place speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is my first post, and I'm an extreme newbie when it comes to surround sound. I'm setting up my first room with surround sound, and I have a question on the distance speakers can from the couch. I've been reading and researching this forum for months (and also the entire Internet), and I didn't find anyone with the concern I have with surround sound at over 20 feet in distance. I apologize if there is a forum dedicated to this, but I couldn't find it.

Here's my scenario: I don't want the best surround sound system possible, I just want something much better than the built-in TV speakers of my 55 Sony KDL-55HX800. I want to be able to hear sound all the way to the other side of the room. However, since researching surround sound, now I want something pretty decent, because I feel I've been missing out by not having it. Maybe I will eventually someday become and audiophile, but for now I want something good and impressive to someone who never really watched a movie at home with surround sound.

So my distance from my couch to the TV is 22 feet (the room is 22' long x 12' wide). The couch is against one wall and the TV along the other wall 22 feet away. I'm pretty much set on in-wall speakers from Monoprice (because of price, reputation, and very good reviews in this forum). I don't want floor standing speakers because I have a 2-year old and a newborn on the way. So this room is going to have toys, a TV, kids running around, etc.

Now here are my options for 7.1 speaker placement (or should I do a 5.1 in this size room?)

Option #1 - Left, Center and Right in-walls installed against the wall where the TV is located. Center will be above the TV. R and L will be to the left and right of the television. Probably will get the monoprice #7604 for all three speakers. Surrounds will be in-ceiling above the couch on the other side of the room.

Option #2 - I have a header board that splits the room (actually its exactly 12' 7 from the couch). If you don't know what a header is, it's 2x4's that extend 10 inches down from the ceiling and boxed off with drywall. Basically if you are standing under a doorway in your house, it's the wall that comes down to where the top of the door is. Now extend that all the way across the room and that's what I have in my scenario (but I don't have a door in the room - it's all open with a header). Now I have the option of installing my L/C/R speakers into the header - so the speakers will be 12 feet 7 inches from the couch and about 6 inches from the top of the ceiling, but these speakers can be facing the couch (although they will be high up right under the crown molding. So these speaker would be 9' 4 away from the TV. I've been reading that the center speaker should be near the TV - so I don't know if this would cause any problems. Surrounds will go in ceiling above the couch.

My question is would option #1 or #2 be better for me. If I went with option #1 would I be able to get good sound all the way across the room? Would the speakers be too far away from the TV in option #2?

I don't have a receiver yet, but I wanted to get the wiring and speakers installed now because the room is currently under construction. I don't even need to use the speakers now, but now is the time to wire and install the speakers. Maybe Santa will get me a decent receiver.

Thanks for reading and any opinions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
What's your budget for the speakers and sub. Would you be ok with wall mounting the L/C/R speakers? this will give you far more options then in-walls.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

I really want to install in-wall or in-ceilings because of aesthetics reasons. I just need to know where to place them? Will the sound travel 20+ feet? I really don't have a budget, just looking for the best quality for cheap. Maybe $200 for a floor sub and the 6 monoprice speakers will probably be another $200 or so.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Those speakers are not going to do very well at 22 ft
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Then what if I install speakers in the header board, which is about halfway from the TV to couch? Will the left, right and center be too far from the TV?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
A 55" TV that you're going to sit 22' away from??? Check out this Viewing Distance Calculator:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

In-wall, unenclosed speakers 22' away??? Are you aware that you lose 3 to 6 dB for each doubling of distance? (Google "Inverse Square Law.") Going from 3' to 6' to 12' to 24' is 3 "doublings." IOW, if you want 80 dB, (not particularly loud by this forum's standards), at the listening position, the speakers will need to be outputting somewhere between 92 and 104 dB. With 89 dB sensitivity and 80 watt power handling, I don't think those Monoprice in-walls are up to that.

Second, those in-walls don't have enclosures. They use the wall as the speaker enclosure. Check this article:
http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...er_systems/D1/

My suggestion is to move the seating closer to the system. Do this for viewing as well as listening. Then use in-walls with enclosures to avoid the problems noted in that article.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

A 55" TV that you're going to sit 22' away from??? Check out this Viewing Distance Calculator:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

In-wall, unenclosed speakers 22' away??? Are you aware that you lose 3 to 6 dB for each doubling of distance? (Google "Inverse Square Law.") Going from 3' to 6' to 12' to 24' is 3 "doublings." IOW, if you want 80 dB, (not particularly loud by this forum's standards), at the listening position, the speakers will need to be outputting somewhere between 92 and 104 dB. With 89 dB sensitivity and 80 watt power handling, I don't think those Monoprice in-walls are up to that.

Second, those in-walls don't have enclosures. They use the wall as the speaker enclosure. Check this article:
http://www.cepro.com/article/how_to_...er_systems/D1/

My suggestion is to move the seating closer to the system. Do this for viewing as well as listening. Then use in-walls with enclosures to avoid the problems noted in that article.

Craig

The 55" screen is temporary for now. I will upgrade to a larger screen sometime soon. If you were to recommend floor standing speakers for L/C/R for $300 what would you recommend? I might go this route.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-28-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar31 View Post

The 55" screen is temporary for now. I will upgrade to a larger screen sometime soon. If you were to recommend floor standing speakers for L/C/R for $300 what would you recommend? I might go this route.

You're going to need to re-evaluate your plan here. The cheapest decent speakers I can think of that will be capable of sufficient output are Polk Monitor 70s @ $200ea.

You might also consider rearranging things, so you are closer
post #9 of 9 Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I still think you should rearrange your setup so you're not sitting 22' away, but I just happened to come across some speakers that fit your original want/need.

Bic FH8-W for in wall LCRs

Bic FH8-C for in ceiling surrounds
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page