Dana Owners' Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
einsteinjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since one didn't exist, I thought I'd go ahead and start an official Dana owners' thread. There is one thread I had started several years ago but it's full of very outdated info and the thread title is now incorrect since the brand name has simply become "Dana" (and I didn't see how to change the thread title, if that's even possible for a non-mod).

FYI, Dana has a history as a Danish speaker manufacturer which I believe was owned by (or a division of) Gamut. The brand is now exclusively available through Jon Lane at The Audio Insider. (That link may change soon -- Jon tells me the site is being redesigned for a fall relaunch.) Jon was heavily involved in the design of the current model line, which at this time includes 3 models, all in a classy matte/satin cherry finish -- the 640i and 630i (both standmount monitors) and the 630iLCR. The 630i and 640i feature interesting mirrored pairs with the tweeters placed off-center towards the inside.

For those who enjoy speaker history, here's the old "Unauthorized Official Avance/Aspen Dana Thread":
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=912039

And here's a recent review thread I posted that many might find interesting: "Review and Comparison - new Dana 640i and Swan D2.1se+ Custom":
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1341386

So Dana owners, let's hear from you! There aren't that many of us compared to other more popular ID brands so if you like, go ahead and post which model(s) you have and what you love (or don't) about them. I'll start:

Ah-hem. Hi, I'm Jeff, and I'm a Dana speaker owner (lol). For the last four years, I've owned and enjoyed a pair of rare and very special Dana 930 standmount monitors. The 930s featured Scan-Speak drivers (7" midwoofer with phase plug and 1" soft dome tweeter), in the same (basically) matte cherry finish as the current models. These wonderful speakers are now for sale, since I've auditioned and decided to keep a pair of the new Dana 640is. My detailed review can be found in the link above with comparisons to the 930s and the Swans D2.1se+ Customs.

OK who's next?
einsteinjb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Endorsed by Dana - original Dana thread here, begun four years ago.

Thanks, Jeff!

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
Jon Lane is offline  
Old 09-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Member
 
jch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi einsteinjb & Jon,

I just read your impressions on the Dana 640is and they have greatly piqued my interest in picking up a pair. One question (for both of you I suppose) : I am looking to set up a new 5.1 system, and would require a center channel speaker that would fit the bill. According to Jon's site, it doesn't appear that there is a matching center channel speaker for the 640is, rather only the 630is. Will you be releasing a matching center for the 640i in the near future? If not, will the 630i provide a suitable match for the 640i bookshelves? And one final question, if this setup would not be optimal, could you briefly explain the differences between the 630is and the 640is?

All the best,

Jon
jch1 is offline  
Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post

I am looking to set up a new 5.1 system, and would require a center channel speaker that would fit the bill. According to Jon's site, it doesn't appear that there is a matching center channel speaker for the 640is, rather only the 630is. Will you be releasing a matching center for the 640i in the near future? If not, will the 630i provide a suitable match for the 640i bookshelves? And one final question, if this setup would not be optimal, could you briefly explain the differences between the 630is and the 640is?

Good questions, all.

The Dana 630iLCR is the center channel designed for both the 630i and 640i. It's a dual 5.25" MTM system that uses the same bass driver as the 630i, but two of them. Pairing them gives us a usable off-axis response as well as enough cone area to play loud enough to match the larger 640i and it's single 6.5' woofer.

All systems are 8 ohms, meaning that the 630iLCR has a pair of 16 ohm woofers in parallel. Sensitivities are all within normal range for a set of matched models.

It's also worth noting that all three of these woofers - two 5.25" drivers and one 6.5" driver - use the same magnetics, which gives them close sonic agreement.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
Jon Lane is offline  
Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
einsteinjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jon, "LCR" of course means left-center-right, so by that moniker, the 630iLCR should be suitable as mains (standing upright, I would think) as well as a center. Could you give us some thoughts on their use as mains please? Are they really designed for this and if so how do they sound compared to 640i? Bit pricier option than the 640is but I would imagine they'd sound great... Thanks.
einsteinjb is offline  
Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post

Jon, "LCR" of course means left-center-right, so by that moniker, the 630iLCR should be suitable as mains (standing upright, I would think) as well as a center. Could you give us some thoughts on their use as mains please? Are they really designed for this and if so how do they sound compared to 640i? Bit pricier option than the 640is but I would imagine they'd sound great... Thanks.

The 630iLCR is intended to have good off-axis dispersion and as such could be used in either orientation. Having doubled voice coils makes for good thermal power handling, and doubled cone area halves distortion. We designed all three new models for good sonic agreement with one another as well.

Whether a vertical MTM images as well as a usual asymmetrical TM array is up for debate, but we did design the 630iLCR with the crossover type that gives it good off-axis response, something that's not always common. (Only a true first order MTM with time aligned driver centers really creates a "perfect" impulse and theoretically near-flat off-axis distribution but I don't think I've seen one of those since Dunlavy...)

I'd sum the 630iLCR up as a higher power main speaker with larger soundfield, higher peak levels, and a reduced F3 than the 640i. Parametrically it's a very big 630i.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
Jon Lane is offline  
Old 09-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Member
 
jch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the information. I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of the 640 and the 630lcr. decisions....
jch1 is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Member
 
miller8b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post
Thanks for the information. I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of the 640 and the 630lcr. decisions....
Over the last couple of months I had the Ascend Sierra-1 NrTs, Swan D2.1SE+Customs and the Dana 640is for the 30 day in home demos.

I'm now down to 1 pair and I'm listening to my new Dana 640is

I have a center that works well for me but I'm thinking about auditioning the Dana center as soon as I pay off a few bills.
miller8b is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Member
 
jch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8b View Post

Over the last couple of months I had the Ascend Sierra-1 NrTs, Swan D2.1SE+Customs and the Dana 640is for the 30 day in home demos.

I'm now down to 1 pair and I'm listening to my new Dana 640is

I have a center that works well for me but I'm thinking about auditioning the Dana center as soon as I pay off a few bills.

What steered you away from the sierras and towards the 640is?
jch1 is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Member
 
miller8b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post

What steered you away from the sierras and towards the 640is?

In my listening area the Dana 6401s were better all around. They are bigger so they didn't strain when I wanted to fill a large area with music. They were both detailed but the Sierras (in my room) were too forward when I put a little volume to them. When I was in the back of my room, around 20 ft or more and turned the speakers up to fill the room the Sierras sounded like small speakers trying to sound big and the Danas just sound big.

Don't get me wrong, all three speakers had their pluses and all sounded good in their own right but in my room with music I like to listen too the Danas won out.
miller8b is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Member
 
jch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8b View Post

In my listening area the Dana 6401s were better all around. They are bigger so they didn't strain when I wanted to fill a large area with music. They were both detailed but the Sierras (in my room) were too forward when I put a little volume to them. When I was in the back of my room, around 20 ft or more and turned the speakers up to fill the room the Sierras sounded like small speakers trying to sound big and the Danas just sound big.

Don't get me wrong, all three speakers had their pluses and all sounded good in their own right but in my room with music I like to listen too the Danas won out.

I actually think I recall you saying that in another thread. I spend WAY too much time scouring for other people's impressions on equipment and way to little time just buying something and trying it out. As you can see, I've been registered since 2010 with very few comments- I've frequented the site for a much longer time than that even! But thanks for your advice it is greatly appreciated!
jch1 is offline  
Old 09-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Member
 
miller8b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1 View Post

I actually think I recall you saying that in another thread. I spend WAY too much time scouring for other people's impressions on equipment and way to little time just buying something and trying it out. As you can see, I've been registered since 2010 with very few comments- I've frequented the site for a much longer time than that even! But thanks for your advice it is greatly appreciated!

I did pretty much the same as you. I struggled over what to order. I just didn't feel right getting new speakers from someone, using them for a month and then sending them back but everyone kept telling me and others that is what the 30 day in home demo is about and if it really hurt the ID companies they wouldn't offer it. I wanted to order the Songtowers and demo those but my wife begged me to not get speakers that were 48 inches tall so I told her I would "test" some standmounts. After much research I had it narrowed down to the Ascend Sierra-1 NrTs and the Swan D2.1se+Customs and I agonized over which to order and I finally just said "what the hell" and I ordered both so I could compare and get the ones that I really liked. They both sounded good but as I said the Ascends were a little too forward in my small listening area so I sent them back. I had a little over 2 weeks left to demo the Swans and I liked them a lot but then I saw einsteins review of the Danas vs. the Swans and everything he said about the Swans sounded like what I felt so I wondered if I would feel the same about the Danas. After talking to Jon at AudioInsider he told me he wasn't someone that would jump up and say "you've had the swans for 31 days so I'm not taking them back" but instead said he would send me the Danas and I should hold onto the Swans for a couple extra weeks so I could compare them side by side. That was really good "business" in my book so I did what he suggested and after everything I liked the Danas best. I will say that if you have poorly recorded music that the Danas won't color it in any way they will just give it to you straight but if you have well recorded music you will be greatly rewarded by great sound, very detailed.

If you do bring in 2 or 3 pairs of speakers for trial you will end up spending $200 to $300 for shipping since you pay shipping to your house and then have to pay shipping for the speakers, stands, etc. that you send back but knowing that you chose the speakers you liked best instead of thinking "well I spent around $1000 give or take but I wonder what those others sounded like".
miller8b is offline  
Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Newbie
 
pureanalog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now that I have lived with the loudspeaker for 6 mos i can chime in on a follow up. Simply Superb!!
The overall detail and sound stage are what set these apart from other loudspeakers. They provide an effortless yet full musical sound that is not edgy or harsh.. I actually prefer their sound to my Thiel 1.6s. The fit and finish is also superior to my Thiels.
Having just come from the RMAF, I can tell you all that Loudspeaker design from the big companies is on the decline in my opinion. In their pursuit for this super detailed focused sound, they have convinced themselves that the high def, edgy shrill sound of metallic/ ceramic drivers and metal dome tweeters are really where its at. Their loudspeaker enclosures may have been impressive, but all I heard were the drivers, not music. Using the Classic RCA/ Western Electric/Altec driver sound as my benchmark, the designers still using super high quality paper drivers were the rooms i tended to gravitate toward...Jon Lane is definitely one of them.


My System:
Galibier Stelvio Turntable with Triplanar Arm/ Dyna XV1S Cart
THeta Compli digital player with Theta Gen VIII DAC
J-Corder Custom Technics 1500 Reel2Reel
Experience Music Jeff Jackson Passive Slagle autoformer passive preamp
Sonus Veritas Kevin Carter Phono Stage
CUstom GM70 SET Monoblock Amps
Slynkylinks Silver Cabling
pureanalog is offline  
Old 10-26-2011, 11:46 PM
Newbie
 
zhouf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys....

I've been a long-time lurker and a first-time poster.... I'm not sure where to post this, but I recently wrote up a review of the Dana 630i's.

Any ideas of where to post it?
zhouf is offline  
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Newbie
 
zhouf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just posted it in the other "Unofficial" Dana thread!

Let me know what you think guys!!!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21132421
zhouf is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Newbie
 
kzinti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, AVS newb here. Im looking at stand speakers for a medium sized room and the Dana 640i caught my eye. I talked to Jon Lane and he thinks they would work for my application both in terms of my systems and my space. The 640i are a big speaker for their type and before I commit, I'm looking for others in their size and output. Any ideas?
kzinti is offline  
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Newbie
 
kzinti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because so far I cannot find a more interesting mix of technologies and value I think I am going to trial the Dana 640i. This model has a lot going for it like fast drivers and above average build, and they are said to be carefully designed and voiced. They look like a winner so I am going to give them a listen.

I was hoping for some input first but I understand that with new models it is harder to come by. I will offer some impressions soon.
kzinti is offline  
Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
einsteinjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzinti View Post

Because so far I cannot find a more interesting mix of technologies and value I think I am going to trial the Dana 640i. This model has a lot going for it like fast drivers and above average build, and they are said to be carefully designed and voiced. They look like a winner so I am going to give them a listen.

I was hoping for some input first but I understand that with new models it is harder to come by. I will offer some impressions soon.

Hello and welcome. Sorry no one responded to your posts. Excellent as they are, I'm afraid we don't have nearly as many Dana owners here as we do other, more established brands (including Jon Lane's Swans). I suspect the lack of other finish options has something to do with that; the cherry is gorgeous but obviously won't match every decor.

The speakers really are excellent especially at their price point. It's really a matter of your own tastes rather than the quality of the product. Jon provides outstanding service both before and after the sale so if you don't like them for some reason, he'll take care of you. I love that about ID brands... You can try out speakers in your home on your gear for a month and if they don't work for you, you're only out shipping charges. Pretty cheap rental price.

I haven't personally heard anything else in this price range that comes close to the sound and quality of the Danas. Ascend's products are very popular and very well made but I've only heard the CBM-170ses so I can't comment on their bigger ones. The Sierras are well liked, but from all the reading I've done I suspect the 640i would best them for most people. Again, don't know from experience. There are certainly other standmounts that would compete well, but for under $800? I don't know of any. You could try some Paradigms or B&Ws but I think you'd have to spend at least 2-3x as much to get performance even close to the Danas (and I personally have heard a lot of B&Ws and while they're fantastic, they don't do it for my ears quite like the Danas do).

You might, if you have the means, try comparing them to a pair of the Swan D2.1SE+ (also from theaudioinsider). As per my review, I didn't like them nearly as much as the Danas but others generally love them so that's an option.

Good luck. Looking forward to your impressions.

Jeff
einsteinjb is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
einsteinjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Just found out Jon Lane is running a promo right now -- 15% off all Dana products for the first 15 buyers with a coupon code:

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/forum...irst-20-buyers

If you've been on the fence about buying Dana, now's the time.

Jeff
einsteinjb is offline  
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Member
 
CabCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post

Hello all,

Just found out Jon Lane is running a promo right now -- 15% off all Dana products for the first 15 buyers with a coupon code:

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/forum...irst-20-buyers

If you've been on the fence about buying Dana, now's the time.

Jeff

^^^^
I`ve had the Dana 640i for about a month and a half. Excellent speakers! I`ll post my thoughts on them later this week.
CabCT is offline  
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Question for you Dana owners. How are the 630s? From reading it seems that everyone owns the 640s. but im really curious to how the 630s fair at their reduced pricepoint. Ive been interested in these speakers ever since reading einsteinjbs thread compairing them to the 930s and Swan 2.1s.

They would be used them in a 2.0 setting for mostly music. Casual/background listning.
Sibuna is online now  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

Question for you Dana owners. How are the 630s? From reading it seems that everyone owns the 640s. but im really curious to how the 630s fair...

The two models share tweeters, midwoofer motors, cone and suspension technologies (athough the 630i's midwoofer has 1mm less cone travel), and very similar crossovers. The differences are therefore mostly in the behaviors of the respective bass drivers, both of which are custom for Dana. The 640i system is much larger and therefore has bass to match, whiile the 630i will have a little more "light" in the midrange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

...at their reduced pricepoint.

For the time being...

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
Jon Lane is offline  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post

...[Dana] cherry is gorgeous but obviously won't match every decor.

Thanks, the book-matched finishes deepen over time too, as natural cherry will.

We'd like to know what other finishes would suit Dana too, if anyone would like to share.

Jon Lane
Chane Music & Cinema
Jon Lane is offline  
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
JEFFREY GTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
Posts: 649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinjb View Post


Hello and welcome. Sorry no one responded to your posts. Excellent as they are, I'm afraid we don't have nearly as many Dana owners here as we do other, more established brands (including Jon Lane's Swans). I suspect the lack of other finish options has something to do with that; the cherry is gorgeous but obviously won't match every decor.


The speakers really are excellent especially at their price point. It's really a matter of your own tastes rather than the quality of the product. Jon provides outstanding service both before and after the sale so if you don't like them for some reason, he'll take care of you. I love that about ID brands... You can try out speakers in your home on your gear for a month and if they don't work for you, you're only out shipping charges. Pretty cheap rental price.


I haven't personally heard anything else in this price range that comes close to the sound and quality of the Danas. Ascend's products are very popular and very well made but I've only heard the CBM-170ses so I can't comment on their bigger ones. The Sierras are well liked, but from all the reading I've done I suspect the 640i would best them for most people. Again, don't know from experience. There are certainly other standmounts that would compete well, but for under $800? I don't know of any. You could try some Paradigms or B&Ws but I think you'd have to spend at least 2-3x as much to get performance even close to the Danas (and I personally have heard a lot of B&Ws and while they're fantastic, they don't do it for my ears quite like the Danas do).


You might, if you have the means, try comparing them to a pair of the Swan D2.1SE+ (also from theaudioinsider). As per my review, I didn't like them nearly as much as the Danas but others generally love them so that's an option.


Good luck. Looking forward to your impressions.


Jeff


Well hello Jeff, I am a Jeff too. And I have really enjoyed your review thread on the comparison between the Dana 640i and the Swan D2.1se+
I think I have enjoyed it a little too much as I have read it multiple times. I printed it off and use it for bedtime reading material. My wife is always saying "Are you reading about those darn speakers again?"
Anyway, what initially brought me to the audioinsiders website were the Swan Diva 6.2's as I was looking for some tower speakers to replace my beloved Rocket RS450's. Then I came across the Arx A5 that really sparked my interest and they still do but after having a long conversation with Jon over the phone I think I am really sold on the Dana 640i's. They seem like quite the amazing speaker and something that I can really afford. Seems like a crime to be able to afford a speaker like that but I am not going to complain. smile.gif I wanted to wait to put the Dana's in a dedicated two channel set up in my bedroom but I simply am too excited about these speakers to wait, so they will go in my multimedia room. Since you have a lot of experience with the Dana's, will the 640i's be fine serving as a multi purpose speaker? They will play everything from movies, to television shows, Blu-Ray movies, SACD, Concerts and video games. I just want to make sure that the Dana's can do it all. Which according to Jon, they should do just fine as long as I am not trying to recreate club/party like levels of volume, which I won't. Don't get me wrong, I do turn up the volume on movies and do rock out with some Metallica or Rage Against The Machine but not to ear bleeding levels. My genre of music is pretty wide open,so thats why I want a do it all speaker. Plus if I do end up with the Dana 640i's I will be getting the center to match it and a couple of surround sound speakers for a full 5.1 system. So my question to you, do you think that the Dana 640i's will perform at the levels you are used to on the variety of things I plan on using them for?
Thanks

I'm your Huckleberry
JEFFREY GTS is offline  
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
JEFFREY GTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
Posts: 649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post


Thanks, the book-matched finishes deepen over time too, as natural cherry will.


We'd like to know what other finishes would suit Dana too, if anyone would like to share.

Hello again Jon,

To answer your question, I love the finish of the Dana's already. Beautiful speaker. But if I had a choice about it, maybe a little darker. I used to own a Peachtree iNova and it was called Rosewood, it is a beautiful finish. Plus you know I owned the Rocket RS450's and that too was a beautiful finish.

I'm your Huckleberry
JEFFREY GTS is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
einsteinjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

Well hello Jeff, I am a Jeff too. And I have really enjoyed your review thread on the comparison between the Dana 640i and the Swan D2.1se+
I think I have enjoyed it a little too much as I have read it multiple times. I printed it off and use it for bedtime reading material. My wife is always saying "Are you reading about those darn speakers again?"
Anyway, what initially brought me to the audioinsiders website were the Swan Diva 6.2's as I was looking for some tower speakers to replace my beloved Rocket RS450's. Then I came across the Arx A5 that really sparked my interest and they still do but after having a long conversation with Jon over the phone I think I am really sold on the Dana 640i's. They seem like quite the amazing speaker and something that I can really afford. Seems like a crime to be able to afford a speaker like that but I am not going to complain. smile.gif I wanted to wait to put the Dana's in a dedicated two channel set up in my bedroom but I simply am too excited about these speakers to wait, so they will go in my multimedia room. Since you have a lot of experience with the Dana's, will the 640i's be fine serving as a multi purpose speaker? They will play everything from movies, to television shows, Blu-Ray movies, SACD, Concerts and video games. I just want to make sure that the Dana's can do it all. Which according to Jon, they should do just fine as long as I am not trying to recreate club/party like levels of volume, which I won't. Don't get me wrong, I do turn up the volume on movies and do rock out with some Metallica or Rage Against The Machine but not to ear bleeding levels. My genre of music is pretty wide open,so thats why I want a do it all speaker. Plus if I do end up with the Dana 640i's I will be getting the center to match it and a couple of surround sound speakers for a full 5.1 system. So my question to you, do you think that the Dana 640i's will perform at the levels you are used to on the variety of things I plan on using them for?
Thanks

Hello Jeff,

Very sorry I haven't had time to respond to your post sooner. Lol I'm flattered that you enjoyed my review so much (though I know it's nothing to do with me, it's just the speakers). I've done similar things while shopping for gear, I understand. smile.gif

I'm not sure if you dug deep enough in the archives to see it, but I owned the Swan 5.2Fs for a while, and I still have the 5.2C center speaker. It was almost comical to walk into my 12' square room and see those monsters, but I loved it. tongue.gif I really loved those 5.2Fs and hated to sell them, but I made the decision to do so because I thought a smaller but somewhat higher end set of stand-mounts would be more appropriate in my room. I had a chance to grab one of a very few sets of the original Dana 930s that Jon had, and leaped at the chance (especially after reading his almost poetic descriptions of their high end ScanSpeak drivers and other advanced technologies). Believe me though, I grieved when I parted with the 5.2Fs. They are OUTSTANDING speakers and to me they're a fantastic balance between smooth, refined and accurate reproduction of detailed material and rock-the-house acoustic horsepower, a term Jon is fond of using. I even did several mixes using them as my studio monitors with very good results. I definitely gave up some things when I upgraded to the 930s, including the sheer "bigness" of their sound. They utterly filled any room I tried them in with ease, and if I was putting together a medium to large home theater room I would definitely consider going with X.2s all around. They look fantastic too. I'm still loving the 5.2C center and though it would be great to have matching Danas all around, I'm totally satisfied with the 5.2C and the way it blends with the Danas for home theater.

I'm very curious about the Arx models too and would love to hear them at some point. I doubt they'd suit my needs as well as the Danas but I'm sure they're amazing based on the reviews so far.

The 640is are absolutely a great multi-purpose speaker. I use them for surround for home theater, for music, and as my studio monitors for mixing (they've turned out to be excellent as studio monitors). I will say this though -- I personally feel they need a sub for truly full-range listening, though they do have outstanding bass response for a standmount. My crossover is set at 70 Hz for my mains, which really says something about their bass response. Normally for standmount mains I'd go higher than that. At 70 Hz, I hear no hole whatsoever in my system's bass response, and with the sub I have that "big" sound back that I missed after selling the 5.2Fs. If your expectations are realistic about what a pair of standmount-sized speakers can do, and you're not putting them in a very big room (or using them for hip-hop or dance music), I think most people would be more than happy with their bass response in a 2-channel system.

It's true that they're definitely not party speakers (unless of course it's an AVS Forum party!) -- they're way too refined and subtle to waste on people or situations where you just want thumping bass or screaming guitars. You probably wouldn't use a Stradivarius as a fiddle at a hoe-down or a Mercedes to lug a load of dirt around a farm, or serve a really fine expensive wine at a frat party. The 640is can play loud without distortion, no doubt, but their detail and resolution isn't (in my opinion) best suited for lo-fi music like Metallica or Rage. That kind of material might come off sounding too screamy and harsh, without the throbbing impact you would want. Fine, accurate reproduction is not generally a great asset with heavy guitar- or synth-based music. The Arx might be a better choice if that's all you listened to, or the X.2s. THEY can rock the house. (Again, not dissing the Arx models as I haven't heard them. Knowing Jon Lane, it's quite likely they do a great job on detailed, subtle music too.)

But since you said you want a speaker than can do it all, I think the 640i would be a fantastic choice. You might find they show off too many of the flaws in your rock and metal collection, but when you put on anything really musical and properly recorded, the 640is will put you right in the room with the artist. Their imaging is phenomenal, their soundstage big and engaging, and that midrange detail and resolution, damn. Kills me every time. It just makes every instrument sound more REAL. I think I've said it before; it's like the difference between a picture taken with a 3 megapixel camera and a small lens and one taken with a really high-end 12 MP pro camera. The low res picture is OK for everyday use and you can certainly see what's in it just fine, but you want the pro high res camera for really stunning and realistic reproduction. The 5.2Fs were, to me, in between those two extremes, closer to the high end, but not quite at the level of the 640is.

And yes, I still prefer the 640is over the much more expensive older 930s. Bit overkill using $1600 Dana 930s as surrounds in a tiny room, but there ya go. smile.gif

Hope this helps. Love to hear what you decided on and how it worked out for you.

Jeff
einsteinjb is offline  
Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 AM
Member
 
luvthefloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Burbs of Seattle
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anybody running the 630i LCR center channel? I haven't been able to find a write-up anywhere.

For Sale:

Salamander Synergy Triple 20 walnut/black aluminum. Like new.
B&W HTM62 Wenge
Rotel RSX-1057

Local only. Photo's up in gallery, PM for additional info.
luvthefloyd is offline  
Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Newbie
 
sseyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to let those viewing this post know, I have relocated what's below to a separate thread; I don't want to hijack the central focus of thread. However, I would still greatly appreciate feedback if possible!

I've been really intrigued by what people have had to say about the Dana 640is and have upgrade-itis. As it stands, I am interested in a pair of bookshelves that are below $850 shipped (yes, I upped my budget to accommodate the Dana 640is). Currently, I have a pair of SVS MBS-02s that I obtained for $400 while SVS was liquidating their stock to make room for their Ultra line of speakers. My MBS-02s have replaced older PSB GB-1s - I have always thought that the GB-1s had some musical depth to them (especially when positioned correctly) for some songs that I couldn't quantify when compared to the MBS-02s; however, I stuck with the MBS-02s due to what I perceived to be a flatter response that I enjoyed for a wider range of music. While I have been very happy with them, I would like to add an extra pair of bookshelves to play around with and potentially replace the MBS-02s in the relatively near future. rolleyes.gif

My main setup is as follows:
  • 2.1 digital music setup
  • Midwoofers/tweeters: MBS-02
  • Subwoofer: SVS SB12-NSD (may add a second one relatively soon)
  • DAC: Emotiva XDA-1 (unning USB/Toslink from Windows-based HTPC)
  • Amps: 2 x Emotiva UPA-1

Some key things to mention are:
  1. I mostly listen to music and my collection is almost entirely in FLAC with some 24-bit 96kHz and 192kHz recordings mixed in (despite my doubts about audible differences due to the sampling limits imposed by the Nyquist frequency).
  2. I enjoy classic rock, folk rock, modern rock, indie rock, indie synth pop/dream pop, classical (mostly Bach and Mozart), house, electrohouse, melodic dubstep, drum and bass, trance and bass, a cappella, and acoustic guitar. Occasionally I watch movies, but this isn't a priority.
  3. I am really interested in incorporating DSP in my system to implement active bi-amping and parametric equalization/room-correction. Thus, a speaker with binding posts for each driver is a significant plus.
  4. While the XDA-1 is adequate for my needs, I may end up starting a DIY project incorporating the all-digital nanoDIGI and a Buffalo III 8-channel DAC board.
  5. I may add a matching SB12-NSD in the near future to smooth bass response.
  6. Will probably add a small stereo amp like the Emotiva Mini-x a-100 or my Peachtree Nova for the tweeters (if I go active).

Since my project is very expensive (for me at least), $850 is an absolute upper bound - I am already going to be taking long enough to acquire all of the pieces necessary for my final system. I have come up with the follow list of potential speakers and prices for which I believe I can obtain them shipped:
  • Dana 640i -- $835 (amazing reviews, but not easily bi-ampable)
  • Swan D2.1e+ -- $585 (bi-ampable)
  • Ascend Sierra-1 -- $850 from Ascend Acoustics, $550 from a friend (strong following, not easily bi-ampable)
  • Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf -- $630 B-stock (not many reviews, but bi-ampable)

My initial thoughts are that I should try the Dana 640is despite their not being as easily bi-ampable as the Verus Grands or the Swan D2.1e+s. However, in particular, I wonder how an active system consisting of the D2.1e+s or Verus Grands would compare to a passive 840i (or Sierra-1) system. I know my post is becoming a long rant, so I will leave it for people to comment (if they wish!) biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

sseyler
sseyler is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off