Jamo S606 - Wiring? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone that owns the S606 Jamo 5.0 set, was hoping for some insight.

The instruction manual shows to connect positive to the left terminal, and negative to the right terminal, at least in the picture that's what it shows.

However, on the speaker itself the left terminal is "black" and the right terminal is "red", indicating to me at least that negative would go to black, and positive to red, which is the opposite from the manual.

The last curve ball that was throw at me was, when I ran the Auddesey calibration on my Denon, I had red connected to red, and black to black.

This gave me an "out of phase" error on the receiver. Upon reversing the wires, I no longer got this error.

So now I'm really confused about the right way to connect the wires.

Any insight on this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Trust Audyseey. Just make sure that ALL speakers are connected the same way.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-21-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Trust Audyseey. Just make sure that ALL speakers are connected the same way.

Well it's strage you say that because in the auddesey setup thread, they say that sometimes it will report out of phase incorrectly?

I'm really confused lol.

Is there any easier way to tell what the proper wiring is?
post #4 of 14 Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I have never heard of a manufacturer using "red" for anything other than the + lead and the connections from the receiver to the speaker are red to red (that's what a color code is for). Get in contact with Jamo customer support and see what they say....it could be a simple misprint in the manual. If all the speakers are wired the same, phase should not be an issue one way or the other.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM

It's a good question as according to the owner's manual it does indeed seem to be contradictory when looking at the color of the terminals. I emailed Jamo to see what they have to say but haven't heard anything yet.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-22-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo4 View Post

It's a good question as according to the owner's manual it does indeed seem to be contradictory when looking at the color of the terminals. I emailed Jamo to see what they have to say but haven't heard anything yet.

I also e-mailed Jamo but no response yet.

Definitely weird and I'm not sure if there is a really good way to test?

It's just concerning that audessey is tell me they aren't in phase.

Dumb question, but in this set is there a "left" and a "right" speaker for the front 2?
post #7 of 14 Old 09-22-2011, 10:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasoa2000 View Post

I also e-mailed Jamo but no response yet.

Definitely weird and I'm not sure if there is a really good way to test?

It's just concerning that audessey is tell me they aren't in phase.

Dumb question, but in this set is there a "left" and a "right" speaker for the front 2?

No either can be used interchangeably. There is no defined left or right. I have never paid attention to the manual as to how to hook it up I have always just matched red to red and black to black.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasoa2000 View Post

in this set is there a "left" and a "right" speaker for the front 2?

My understanding from looking at the owner's manual is that there is no defined left and right speaker. Jamo say via one of their diagrams that if you place the woofers facing each other you will get less pronounced bass compared to if you have them facing away from each other. That's what I got from the picture.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I posted about this in another thread. The illustration in the Jamo manual is wrong. Follow the normal convention of hooking up the positive terminal on your amp (red, presumeably) to the red terminal, and negative to black, on the back of the Jamos.

If you look closely at the area below the connections on the back of the Jamos you'll see the +/- symbol molded into the plastic below the appropriate red/black terminals. They're kind of hard to see because they're low to the floor and the plastic is matte black. All the other speakers are marked the same way for comparison. You can feel the +/- symbols with your finger if you've placed your speakers and don't want to/can't move them easily.

My 606 L/R towers also showed out of phase, but according to the Audyssey website for various reasons this sometimes happens. They recommend checking your connections and if they are correct simply ignoring the warning then continue running Audyssey.

Hope this helps.
smartby25 likes this.

hi-fidelity — why fight it?
post #10 of 14 Old 09-23-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by defmoot View Post

I posted about this in another thread. The illustration in the Jamo manual is wrong. Follow the normal convention of hooking up the positive terminal on your amp (red, presumeably) to the red terminal, and negative to black, on the back of the Jamos.

If you look closely at the area below the connections on the back of the Jamos you'll see the +/- symbol molded into the plastic below the appropriate red/black terminals. They're kind of hard to see because they're low to the floor and the plastic is matte black. All the other speakers are marked the same way for comparison. You can feel the +/- symbols with your finger if you've placed your speakers and don't want to/can't move them easily.

My 606 L/R towers also showed out of phase, but according to the Audyssey website for various reasons this sometimes happens. They recommend checking your connections and if they are correct simply ignoring the warning then continue running Audyssey.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I found another threat on a different forum that seems to confirm connecting red to red and black to black. Which seems to make the most sense.

I'll re-run Audyssey tonight (now that I have the rear surrounds hooked up) and see if it still complains. If so, I'll ignore it and see how it all sounds.

Thanks all for the help.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 PM

This is the reply I received from Jamo regarding the speaker terminals:

"The owner’s manual will only show a line-art diagram of one of the speakers…the S606 are mirror image pairs…the “+” and “-“ connections themselves should be marked on the speakers would have a red (+) and white/black (-) connection. Red will always be positive."
post #12 of 14 Old 09-24-2011, 11:22 AM

I ran YPAO on my RX-V867 with my S606HCS3 setup a few times, and one of the times it indicated one of my surrounds was reversed. I reversed it despite being confident that I had wired it correctedly and when I ran it again it still showed up as reversed. So I put it back to normal/correct/original and the last time I ran YPAO it was okay. I guess it can happen and give a "false reverse."

My concern was that the receiver would somehow try to compensate for the reversed wiring by sending a modified signal, but I guess that's not something to worry about.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM

It looks like 'Out of Phase' for front speakers are generic..I got that on my Denon 1613 with Jamo S606 5.0 too...I talked to both the mfg CS, they both said its the issue with Audyssey..
I still havent figured out best crossover yet..and Im looking for some help to do the manual setup..
post #14 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Liked: 11
I bought (and then returned) the Jamos just yesterday. When I ran Audyssey, it had my do the switch which i did. It sounded like it was correct when i ran my sound tests. I agree with a previous poster, trust Audyssey.

My modest Setup:
Panasonic 60ST50
Onkyo NR-616 (no reliability issues yet...fingers remain crossed)
Klipsch F20 Towers, C10 Center and B10 Surrounds
Polk PSW 110 Sub
PS3
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page