JBL studio L vs B&W 600 series vs alternatives? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone compared these two systems? Are the JBL L890s and B&W 683s of comparable quality? What were your impressions?

I want to build a 5.1 system. I have been leaning toward getting B&W 683s as fronts, 685s as rears and a 685 as a center (didn't like the HTM61).

I've listened to multiple speakers at Magnolia and liked the 683s the best.

I already bought a receiver (onkyo 809) and a sub (rythmik fv-12). What other speakers in the 2-3k range should I listen to? I've been unable to find a dealer in Los Angeles that has the Revel F12s to audition.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I haven't heard the JBLs. The B&W setup you have in mind is a good one. Some others to consider are Vienna Acoustics, Monitor, Paradigm, and PSB if you have the chance to audition.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 08:58 PM

Liked: 13
I doubt the JBLs are as good as the B&Ws. I haven't heard this particular JBLs, but based on overall experience with the brand I'd say B&W is in a different league.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-25-2011, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post

I doubt the JBLs are as good as the B&Ws. I haven't heard this particular JBLs, but based on overall experience with the brand I'd say B&W is in a different league.

I'd say that's a generalization that doesn't stand up under scrutiny. OP: is there any way you can listen to both? Your ears are the better test rather than blind opinion based on familiarity with only one of the two speakers you've inquired about. Since I've heard theJBLs but not the B&Ws, how could I give you a useful opinion? Same goes for anyone who's only heard the B&Ws.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #5 of 6 Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

I'd say that's a generalization that doesn't stand up under scrutiny. OP: is there any way you can listen to both? Your ears are the better test rather than blind opinion based on familiarity with only one of the two speakers you've inquired about. Since I've heard theJBLs but not the B&Ws, how could I give you a useful opinion? Same goes for anyone who's only heard the B&Ws.

I would like to, but I have not found a store near me to listen to them. How did you like the JBLs?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 PM

My reference HT system is a B&W HTM61 center, B&W 684s for fronts and M-1s for rears. My secondary system, which I just purchased, is JBL ES90s and an ES25c for the front and center and JBL CSB6s for the rears. I paid well over $2k for the B&W setup, and just $800 for the JBL setup via J&R and Newegg. The JBL system is 85% as nice as the B&W (leaving subwoofers out of the equation), and, in some respects, better:

Bass: JBL, hands down, whether it is depth, tightness, sweetness, you name it. The JBL ES90s kick arse, period. This is what JBL does best. Always has.

Mids: B&Ws, hands down. This is what they do and there are none better for the money. JBls can have a laid back midrange, and these do. L series, per my understanding, may not be as laid back.

Treble: A tie; both have a great presence, detail and imaging, the B&Ws are a hair sweeter as the JBLs can get a little bright if you let them (but never annoyingly so), but not much. The JBLs however, with their dual tweeters, provide better detail oftentimes for special effects in movies over the B&W, at the ultra high end of the spectrum.

I learned long ago to never assume certain brands are better than others. Harman has a big portfolio of companies and an extraordinary professional division and the benefits of that trickle down into their mass market stuff. I could buy 2 of the JBL systems for the price of the B&W and be very happy, and that is a testament to JBL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page