Advent Legacy Loudspeaker for use in 5.1 setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of Advent Legacy 2-way speakers (10" woofer) that have been re-foamed and sound incredible. I'm powering the pair with a Denon AVR-2807 for listening to music, and I'm starting to plan my home theater project. My question is whether these speakers would be a good fit in a 5.1 setup used as the front left/right speakers? I'm looking to spend about $1500 in speakers and would be willing to put that towards a better subwoofer, center channel, and surrounds if I can make use of the Advents; otherwise, I'll need to use the money to buy a complete 5.1 setup.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-29-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
You'll never find a matching center channel for that. It probably makes a lot more sense to start from scratch for the HT and keep those as music speakers.

What's the room like?
post #3 of 12 Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

The room is decent sized (22' x 24') and perfectly rectangle with cathedral ceilings. My guess is the front speakers will be approx 6 to 8 feet apart.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

That is a large, large space. It'll be tough to get good bass in there without spending significantly more money.

I'd suggest you look at HSU's HB-1 speakers. 4 of them plus the matching center would be about $900 shipped I think. That leaves you about $600 for a good sub. A Rythmik F12 is in the budget, but it's also worth looking at an SVS PB-12 NSD or an HSU VTF-3.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
IMO Pioneer's Andrew Jones-designed center channel would be good match for those Advents. Not perfect but close, because they are both on the warm side sonically-speaking. An Infinity Primus series center would work O.K. too but it's a little brighter. I have owned Advents myself for years, Laureates and Babys to be exact, so have experience with their sonic attributes.

And I think the Advents would make great front mains, because specially for music because they would blend smoothly with a sub x'ed over at 80Hz or even lower because those 10" woofers have no problem whatsover dealing with the frequencies at that xover point, unlike so many of the soup can-sized sats that are currently fashionable. Though I would try to use the Advents with stands to get them as close as possible to the horizontal centerline of the TV, or at least have them even with the center.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I had a quadraphonic system with four original Advents. I suspect that the Advents would work fine as a front-speaker pair.

At one point when I went with ungraded speakers with a new home theater, I temporarily used a Baby Advent as my center channel until the price came down on the center channel that matched my speakers.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 11:48 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutfan View Post

IMO Pioneer's Andrew Jones-designed center channel would be good match for those Advents. Not perfect but close, because they are both on the warm side sonically-speaking. An Infinity Primus series center would work O.K. too but it's a little brighter. I have owned Advents myself for years, Laureates and Babys to be exact, so have experience with their sonic attributes.

And I think the Advents would make great front mains, because specially for music because they would blend smoothly with a sub x'ed over at 80Hz or even lower because those 10" woofers have no problem whatsover dealing with the frequencies at that xover point, unlike so many of the soup can-sized sats that are currently fashionable. Though I would try to use the Advents with stands to get them as close as possible to the horizontal centerline of the TV, or at least have them even with the center.

That is funny, because I am currently using that Pioneer C-21 with my refoamed Advent 5002's. They do blend pretty well considering the differences. Not a bad idea, if you have a large space to fill and want to play loud, they might not be the best.

Have you considered doing the Zilch econo-wave Advent conversion?

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Econ...Speakers/181/1

You could then pickup the new eD Cinema series center channel:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...oducts_id=1009

and back surrounds:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...oducts_id=1007

Since the Advents reach halfway low, you could then continue to save for a sub-woofer but already have a high performance system. They would also all share the same compression driver since eD uses the same one as used in the Advent conversion.

post #8 of 12 Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

I had a quadraphonic system with four original Advents. I suspect that the Advents would work fine as a front-speaker pair.

The first surround sound system! Too bad there were five(!) different competing formats which helped to kill it off by the late 70s.
[/quote]
Quote:

At one point when I went with ungraded speakers with a new home theater, I temporarily used a Baby Advent as my center channel until the price came down on the center channel that matched my speakers.

Good idea.

Quote:

That is funny, because I am currently using that Pioneer C-21 with my refoamed Advent 5002's. They do blend pretty well considering the differences. Not a bad idea, if you have a large space to fill and want to play loud, they might not be the best.

Yes Advents definetly are not made for the concert level listening but for normal listening levels in so-called average sized rooms they work well.

Econo-wave: I am not a huge fan of horn speakers and the thought of cutting up an Advent makes me cringe. Too bad Advent is gone, and I am refering to the REAL Advent before Recoton bought them and they abandoned acoustic-suspension bass systems.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Dummy post since I need 3 to include url's...
post #10 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the responses/recommendations. Although it seems rather obvious now, I hadn't taken the room size into affect when looking at speakers. I came across a used 5.1 setup yesterday and decided to purchase. I took a chance by not hearing the setup prior to purchasing, and not auditioning other speakers; but these were all in original boxes, consecutive serial numbers, with manuals, and overall looked in mint condition. I was able to stick well within my budget, have matching brands for all components, and *hopefully* have speakers that will fill the room with quality sound.

The setup...
Klipsch RF-3 II floorstanding fronts
Klipsch RC-3 II center channel
Klipsch RS-3 II surrounds
Klipsch RSW-12 Subwoofer

I'm waiting for black Friday to purchase a TV (I currently don't have one) and the wait is going to be BRUTAL!
post #11 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 AM

I liked that particular series of Klipsch speakers even though normally I am not particularly fond of horn-equipped speakers. A lot of people think Klipsch have a very bright sound but I have not found that to be true to my ears anyway. If anything their upper treble actually seems a bit muted the past decade or so, but a lot of their gear sold before around 2000 did "sparkle" with rock and pop music.

As far as a TV, until you buy a new one if you do not mind a CRT set, you ought to visit the thrift stores in your city. If they are like the ones here they will have many CRT TVs priced at crazy low prices, like a hundred bucks for a barely used 36" 4:3 Sony Trinitron or similar sized 16:9 CRT set from Toshiba or Panasonic. Just make sure you have someone around to help you carry it into your house!
post #12 of 12 Old 10-01-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy View Post

Thanks everyone for the responses/recommendations. Although it seems rather obvious now, I hadn't taken the room size into affect when looking at speakers. I came across a used 5.1 setup yesterday and decided to purchase. I took a chance by not hearing the setup prior to purchasing, and not auditioning other speakers; but these were all in original boxes, consecutive serial numbers, with manuals, and overall looked in mint condition. I was able to stick well within my budget, have matching brands for all components, and *hopefully* have speakers that will fill the room with quality sound.

The setup...
Klipsch RF-3 II floorstanding fronts
Klipsch RC-3 II center channel
Klipsch RS-3 II surrounds
Klipsch RSW-12 Subwoofer

I'm waiting for black Friday to purchase a TV (I currently don't have one) and the wait is going to be BRUTAL!

That's a pretty awesome setup for you.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page