ESS AMT 1b Bookshelf Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-30-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have come upon a pair of ESS AMT 1b bookshelf speakers. The passive radiators are gone and the woofers need rebuilding. For not too much money, under $400, I can rebuild them. I will first listen to make sure the Heil tweeter-midrange is working. What should I expect sound wise when rebuilt? I own a pair of Klipsch Kg 3's and in my edit room I have a pair of UREI 811bs. Will these ESS speakers approach either of my other pairs of speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohncox View Post

I have come upon a pair of ESS AMT 1b bookshelf speakers. The passive radiators are gone and the woofers need rebuilding. For not too much money, under $400, I can rebuild them. I will first listen to make sure the Heil tweeter-midrange is working. What should I expect sound wise when rebuilt? I own a pair of Klipsch Kg 3's and in my edit room I have a pair of UREI 811bs. Will these ESS speakers approach either of my other pairs of speakers?

I have a pair of 1b's that I bought in the 70's. These are big speakers-floor models. I didn't know that 1b's could also be had as bookshelf speakers. Anyway-I refurbished the surrounds on the active & passive woofers a few years ago. Aside from that, no problems. As to the "sound" of these-I have no knowledge of Klipsch speakers. But, my 1b's are extraordinarily pleasing to me. I know that, technically, they are not a "flat" response speaker. But, the "highs" and upper mid-range on these speakers are to die for. Very "airy" and light sounding. It feels like the speakers are not at all stressed in the upper range. They are a delight! The bass is ok, but nothing to brag about. I never thought I would still be using these after have bought them over thirty years ago.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM

I've had the Heil ESS AMT 1B bookshelf speakers since 1977. I have replaced the drivers and the passive radiators once each. The highs are incredible. Violins are really sweet sounding, although bass is somewhat lacking, these are great even today
post #4 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

By the two responses I have received today, I think I will get the speakers rebuilt by ESS. I appreciate your feedback.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM

I bought a pair back in the early 80's. Kept blowing out the Heil AMT tweeters. They sounded great though when they worked. After blowing the tweeters for the second time they went into the attic.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM

I mentioned above (posting #2) that I had replaced the surrounds on the active/passive woofers. I have no problem with the speakers and enjoy them. My questions is-are there replacement woofer cones (both active/passive) that provide a better bass response than my stock ones? If so, what company sells them? If anybody has bought replacements, have you been pleased with the new sound or do you think the originals sounded better?
post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I plan to have mine rebuilt by ESS. Send them the components to be rebuilt, tell them what enclosure and they balance them for you.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the info about refurb from ESS. I'll look into it.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page