Speaker System Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-05-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning on starting to order in everything for my new speaker system in the next week or so, but I am still considering how I'd go about setting it up.

Components
- amp - http://www.audiosavings.com/products...P/PVX3500.aspx
- speakers - http://www.audiosavings.com/products...%29+PV115.aspx
- cables 1 - http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
- cables 2 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...30498000000601

The idea is to be able to play music off my computer, so this is was i have come up with so far.

Computer - 3.5mm to dual xlr (M) cable - amp - (Channel A) xlr (F) to 1/4" jack cable - speaker - (Channel B) xlr (F) to 1/4" jack cable - speaker

So the question is, do you think I would run into any problems with this setup, or is there a better way of setting this up. Also what do you think about the hardware I have picked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM

Are you planning on throwing a rave or some other type of warehouse party?
post #3 of 16 Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

house parties mostly.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoeatspie View Post

house parties mostly.

What's the size of your room where the parties will be occurring? Do you want pa speakers?
post #5 of 16 Old 10-06-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

the speakers will be set up in the rec-room/TV room, like 20'x20', but the parties is through main floor, but its an open layout so sound flows through the entire floor pretty well. I would like to go with the pa speakers, and I've got a active 15" sub, and some like $100 monitor speakers hooked up to the media computer right now. Do you think I should be looking for something other then pa speakers? The plan is to ditch the monitor speakers and just have the pa speakers and the sub playing.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhoeatspie View Post

the speakers will be set up in the rec-room/TV room, like 20'x20', but the parties is through main floor, but its an open layout so sound flows through the entire floor pretty well. I would like to go with the pa speakers, and I've got a active 15" sub, and some like $100 monitor speakers hooked up to the media computer right now. Do you think I should be looking for something other then pa speakers? The plan is to ditch the monitor speakers and just have the pa speakers and the sub playing.

I absolutely suggest ditching PA's. You can get much better sound out of a good pair of monitors. Check out PSB's, Monitor Audio, and Paradigms. Good speakers at fair prices. However, there are many speakers out there and you should go listen to as many as possible.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-07-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
PA speakers are crap unless you are simply looking for loud imo. I've never heard a pair of PA speakers that I thought were even remotely smooth. I'm sure they exist, but at a much higher price point than those. Def. get something else.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofarzong View Post

I absolutely suggest ditching PA's. You can get much better sound out of a good pair of monitors. Check out PSB's, Monitor Audio, and Paradigms. Good speakers at fair prices. However, there are many speakers out there and you should go listen to as many as possible.

They won't last lengthy house parties if they're loud. He will need something that can take a beating. I know from experience that monitor series from paradigm won't do it. Tweeters on all speakers that were hooked up blew. High sensitivity heavy built speakers that can handle abuse is what he needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

High sensitivity heavy built speakers that can handle abuse...

I am having trouble finding some speakers, most of the ones I have found have a sensitivity of around 98-100db. That is higher then the Peavey ones i link before, but sense I'm new to this I don't know what high sensitivity would be (100-120)?

I did look around and I found some nice speakers with lots of good reviews, but I am thinking of staying with the amp I chose sense it gives lots of head room.

Speakers
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...00347000000000
Amp
http://www.audiosavings.com/products...P/PVX3500.aspx

Let me know what you think.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The 98-100 db sensitivity will be fine as long as you put the right power behind it. When I said higher sensitivity I meant higher than home typical speakers. Those should get plenty loud for parties. Get a pair or more subwoofers to fill in the bass. If you're not against trying to build some speakers have a look at www.billfitzmaurice.com. He has designs for more pro oriented speakers and subs and you can save some money building them.

post #11 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the help, I do have an active 15" sub, not sure about the power, but I'll be trying that with the speakers and seeing how it sounds, then I'll go from there.

Another question though, the speakers specs say "Recommended amplifier power: 250-500W @8Ω". So should I get a slightly less powerful amp with like a 400w rms per channel?(link to amp below). Also that amp i was looking at states that it has an independence of 10k ohms. I don't understand the 10k part, is it going to be too powerful for the 8 ohms speakers?

I hope you guys can help.

Link to amp:
http://www.audiosavings.com/products...P/PVX2000.aspx
post #12 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The 400 watts per speaker would be fine with those. My potential problem lies in that amp. I'll admit I don't know all the pro audio companies, but that's one I'm certainly not familiar with and I doubt many others are either. Their specs are very sketchy. Signal to noise ratio "more that 100 db". 10k ohms with no specifier as to what that relates to. Things like that, and the fact they feel necessary to say they are built in the same factory as yamaha...in china.

I'd spend a little more money on something proven. Doesn't have to be much more expensive. Have a look at a behringer ep2000. Or find something local on craigslist used. I think you'd be surprised what kind of deals you can get that way.

post #13 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I looked at the ep2000 and it looks really good I think that might be the one I will end up buying, but i have another question. I noticed the amp was 750W @ 4ohms per channel, so if I'm powering my 8 ohms speakers, how much power will they be getting? Will the amp be putting out 375w @ 8 ohms per channel or does it not work that way?
post #14 of 16 Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

The specs are a bit hyped on most amps and the behringer is no different. It will still give plenty power for your parties. Have a look at these actual measurements of some amps...http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855865. Look at the ep1500 measurements. Its the same amp as the ep2000 with a different badge, that's all. From those measurements you get 260 real Watts at 8 ohms.

post #15 of 16 Old 10-10-2011, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I use the EP4000 for sub duty. It gets plenty loud.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-10-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks again for all the help, I'll be getting the ep2000 amp with the jbl speakers, then i'll just set up my active sub, and it should sound really nice.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page