Pioneer A. Jones set + BIC F-12 VS anything < $1200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently researching equipment for my first real (non-HTiB) HT system. My budget is an absolute max of $1200 for speakers/sub only. I'd like to go 7.1 since I've never heard a 5.1 that I've really felt immersed within, though I've never heard an expensive 5.1 before. I've picked out the Onkyo 809 AVR and have set the money for that aside already.

I've been diligently educating myself on the forums for the past three days and have some ideas for builds. I'd say I have an above-average ear for quality -- and quite a taste for it, too -- but I also like spending the least amount of money possible. I'm really fond of the price point on the Pioneer/BIC combo in 7.1 flavor coming in at around $800 give-or-take, and I've heard nothing but praise for this set as well.

However, I've seen posts that say if you can upsale yourself a bit you should go with SVS or something in that range. Problem is, if I went SVS (probably the SCS "Front Three" and two pairs of SBSs [and what happened to the STS? I can't find it anywhere on the SVSound website!]) I'd feel like the BIC was too cheap and try and go with a HSU VTF-2MkIII. There's other sets I've heard talk about out there like Aperion and whatnot, but I really need to know...

Is the extra $$$ really worth it?

I'm willing to go DIY if there's any cheap, proven, well-laid-out projects you could link me to. I'm okay with B-Stock stuff as long as it's reputable. I love eBay. I'm also (reluctantly) willing to be talked off of the 7.1 cliff for now since I'm OCD about setting things up perfectly, so enough people telling me if I can really dial-in with a suggested 5.1 set it'll be worth holding back will make me back off of 7.1. (for now)

P.S. - I'm planning on finding a new apartment as well, so for the sake of discussion, let's say my room is 15Wx12Lx8H and has an opening opposite of the television side to the rest of the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 07:00 AM

If you are highly concerned with audio quality and have a fixed budget I'd probably skip the 7.1 and go with a better 5.1 setup. You can always upgrade to 7.1 later.

Just to be clear - your budget is $1200 for just speakers? Not including a receiver?
post #3 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Have you listened to the pioneers? A lot of people like the Polk Monitor series ii speakers from newegg.com when they are on sale. You can hear the Polk TSi's at best buy which sound very similar to the Monitor-line. Other popular speakers are the Infinity Primus line

The Bic f12 is a bottom of barrel subwoofer and generally the minimum people would recommend. Steppinng up to an HSU vtf-2 mk3 would be a huge improvement.

Starting at 3.1 and slowly adding to it allows for better sound quality over all. HSU speakers are gaining popularity if you can deal with bookshelves on stands

Personally I doubt you have the room to properly set-up a 7.1 in your apartment so stick with the 5.1 and you will be golden
post #4 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 AM

a) $800 AVR and $1200 speakers is unbalanced and you'd be overspending for electronics without noticeable benefit

b) HSU vtf-2 mk3 sub is a big step up from Bic F-12, but not be sufficient if OP has larger room - 6000 cu ft or larger

c) my rec for small to medium rooms:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

4x Infinity Primus P163 bookshelf speakers - $340
1x Infinity Primus PC251 Center - $150
HSU vtf-2 mk3 or even better two of them

for larger rooms - Change fronts to P363 - $200/ea and sub to VTF-3 MK4
post #5 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just to be clear - your budget is $1200 for just speakers? Not including a receiver?

Correct

Quote:

Have you listened to the pioneers? A lot of people like the Polk Monitor series ii speakers from newegg.com when they are on sale. You can hear the Polk TSi's at best buy

I'm currently unable to get out and about, but I'll hit up BB and compare the two next week. I haven't looked into Polks yet, thanks.

I DO have a set of Logitech Z5500 speakers (the preamp died) that I could throw in for surrounds for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup if you guys think it wouldn't sound like trash to mix them in for the time being.

Point noted about the BIC. Sounded too good to be true, but I've read a few posts that make it seem incredible. I like bass I can feel. I've even looked into getting tactile transducers in the future.

Quote:

$800 AVR and $1200 speakers is unbalanced and you'd be overspending for electronics without noticeable benefit

Splitting hairs: It's actually $700 right now on Amazon. Plus, I'd assume the HQV Vida processor far outdoes the DCDi, which is why I picked it. I also like the programmable remote. ISF calibration is also a plus, but my TV is a Samsung D7000 PDP, so I might not need it. Is there a discernible difference in the upscalers? I'll be using it to upscale PC content, so if there's a better upscaling/processing filter set I can use on PC that doesn't require days of scripting in Avisynth I'd be interested in a link to it. My CPU is a i7 EE oc'd to 4.1, so it should be able to handle whatever.
Quote:

4x Infinity Primus P163 bookshelf speakers - $340
1x Infinity Primus PC251 Center - $150

You'd recommend the Infinitys over the Pioneers?

Also, I'm wondering about towers vs bookshelves for the fronts. I've already got two pairs of speaker stands, so either is fine.

Oh, and my use will be 99% movies/games. Music isn't really important.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izbu View Post

Also, I'm wondering about towers vs bookshelves for the fronts. I've already got two pairs of speaker stands, so either is fine.

Towers would be a more important consideration if you were planning to do a lot of serious music listening. In a setup primarily for HT, it's important not to over privilege budget allocation on the LR speakers over the center and subwoofer, which are very important. And a good subwoofer will be a significant budget allocation because you are buying a speaker and a built in amplifier.

post #7 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izbu View Post

Point noted about the BIC. Sounded too good to be true, but I've read a few posts that make it seem incredible. I like bass I can feel. I've even looked into getting tactile transducers in the future.

You'd recommend the Infinitys over the Pioneers?

Well the Bic F12 for $187 is a great subwoofer though it can't compare to something that is double its price like the HSU STF-2. and get into the $600 mark the VTF-2 is a prime choice

I would recommend the Infinity P162's with the better center though the PC351. For its price its a great center channel and with your large focus of gaming and movies you would benefit

As for the Monitor series ii on newegg with their current sale on the Monitor 70's for $178 per speaker, and $99 for a CS2 center they are a great deal, just wait on the Monitor 30's to go on sale at $85 a pair you will just be under your 1,200 budget with a subwoofer
post #8 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 08:48 AM

If your primary listening need is movies/games, definitely get a decent sub.
post #9 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info about the speaker quality priority and tower/ bs comparison. Now that you mention all that, I feel like I should have known it in the first place. I'm so used to my Z5500 and others' cheap HTiBs that I never bothered to think about the intricacies of speakers.

I guess I'll post in the Video section about the 808/809 processors. If I can save $200 I'll jump on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions; I've definitely got new stuff to look into. If there's anything else you guys think I should know, I'm open to clicking some links.
post #10 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 10:07 AM

What video components will you be running to the onlyo? And I would listen to the pioneers at bb. To me they sound great. And are at a really good price.

This being, that becomes;
On the arising of this, that arises.
This not being, that does not become;
On the cessation of this, that ceases.
post #11 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Xbox360, PC, HD cable box, (possibly; and I'd probably only be watching the HD channels since they're the only channels I watch anyways. They may only be 720p though. Not sure how my local provider broadcasts.) and that's it. I'll be playing BR/DVDs through the compy. I'm mostly concerned about lower quality content I have. (480p, etc) I wasn't planning on really looking into it til the time comes, but my idea was to run VLC in a mode that auto resizes the resolution based on content, thereby letting the HQV do all the upscaling. The processing (noise reduction, edge enhance) are something I'd want as well. I honestly don't even know if VLC can do the auto-res in the first place, though.

Anyways, since the 808 is pretty much the 809 sans the HQV, I'd be interested to know if the processing and upscaling are discernibly different.
post #12 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 10:30 AM

I don't know if they'll be better than anything else at this price range, but I'm going to go ahead and put in a plug for the A. Jones Pioneers + BiC sub. I'm running the Pioneer towers LR, BS21's as surrounds, F12 smack in the middle, and still waiting on the center speaker to come in. I'm using it for 80% music.

I can tell you that these sound great. Really, really great. The speakers have got an excellent, 'meaty' sound--drum thwacks sound superb. Their beefy midrange makes vocals shine. Bass tones are addicting to listen to. They project a decent soundstage, and really position vocals in the middle of the LR. My only gripe: I feel like whenever there's instruments playing alongside vocals, the instruments do have a tendency to fade in the background. I set the sub down to 60hz crossover, or else it sounds a bit bloated. Highs could be crisper, but for me, I prefer a non-fatiguing sound quality, so they're excellent. Their treble extension is excellent, just a bit rolled off towards the higher freqeuncies, which makes for easy listening. The sub mates really well if you wrangle it in a bit--reaches real deep, and rounds out those lower frequencies.

If this sort of sound quality is what you'd like in a sound system, believe the hype: the Pioneer speakers are really very good for the price. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'll chip in another opinion once my center speaker gets here and I can test a few movie soundtracks.

Note: they sound noticeably better with some tweaking and burn-in.

P.S. - How did you arrive at $800 for the set? $199 for towers + $90 center + $100 surrounds + $200 sub = roughly $600
post #13 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simanick View Post

P.S. - How did you arrive at $800 for the set? $199 for towers + $90 center + $100 surrounds + $200 sub = roughly $600

You're totally right! I was going off of the BB 5.0 package deal and adding a pair of the bookshelves for 7.1, but I guess I added another coupla pairs. Altogether, it looks like a lil over 600 including tax from getting the speakers locally.
post #14 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

BTW, That's nice to know. I'm definitely a tweaker. Never used the Audyssey stuff before and I know it works, but I'd love to grab a multichannel EQ and pink the room.
post #15 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Lots of good advice in this thread, but the one key thing that may not have come through clearly - how you are going to arrange the speakers in your room, and the layout of the room. That matters almost as much as your choice of speakers, and more than your choice of receivers.
post #16 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

Lots of good advice in this thread, but the one key thing that may not have come through clearly - how you are going to arrange the speakers in your room, and the layout of the room. That matters almost as much as your choice of speakers, and more than your choice of receivers.

This is very important. I can tell you that the Pioneer towers sound their best when placed about a foot-and-a-half to two feet away from the wall. MultEQ should help with some of the tweaking, but I definitely suggest making sure you have the room for floorstanding speakers, if you're going that route.
post #17 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 PM

Here is my 2 cents. I would go for a cheaper receiver. Like a Yamaha A800 or A1000. At newegg. From what I read on here onkyos are not that reliable. And DVDs, cable box, pc etc no matter how good your upconverison is there gonna look horrible. If the content is not 1080p to begin with. (Compared to blue ray) So with the extra $200.00 or whatever you save go and get a blue ray player. And with the isf on the onkyo. Go get disney wow calabration disc.

This being, that becomes;
On the arising of this, that arises.
This not being, that does not become;
On the cessation of this, that ceases.
post #18 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

That's the difficult part. As I said before, I haven't moved into the new place yet. I've looked at the floor plan of all the places I'd want to move to, and all the living rooms look like they're 12Wx15L, and I can't imagine them having anything higher than 8' ceilings in my area. Most of the rooms open up in the rear (relative to watching direction) without any partial walls whatsoever.

I've no one else living with me. It really doesn't matter if I've got speaker stands in the way of everything; (I like cables to be neat -- I'm not a total bum ) I prefer audio quality over visual aesthetics.

I'd love for all my questions to be answered here and now, but I understand that as long as I'm not living there yet and not even able to go to BB to listen to speakers (I'm in an experimental drug study facility right now, which is where I'm getting the money for all this) that I'm not going to be able to get concrete answers. I very much appreciate everyone's replies, though; never been on a forum that helped this much.

I also like sitting pretty close to the TV. (4-6 ft, 59" TV) Bad habit, I know, but it's the reason I thought I could fit a 7.1 in the room since I'll have plenty of space behind me to distance myself from the surround rears. I'd like to recreate the THX/Dolby models as accurately as possible as far as placement goes, but beyond that, I'm not sure what you mean, buzzy_.
post #19 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Onkyo reliability issues? I heard about issues with the last generation as far as heat generation and weird DOAs, but not much about the current X09 generation. Quite a few people in the owner's thread seem to say the heat issue is gone.

I'd definitely want to go with Onkyo or Denon. I'm pretty petty when it comes to Yamaha. Ran BoH with some of their gear once and (long story short) it put a bad taste in my mouth. I've never really liked them since then.

I understand the upconversion isn't going to be perfect. I just want something better than the Lanczos filter in VLC and some decent postprocessing.

I'll look into the Disney disk. Thanks for the tip.
post #20 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'll chime in here.

I can't say enough good things about the Pioneer speakers. I have the towers, center, and 21's for the rear and I'm completely in love with them. The sound the produce for the amount I paid is unreal.

At first I thought I wouldn't be able to get over the way they look but after finally bringing them home and hooking them up, I now actually like the way they look. My wife likes them too, which is always a plus. Also, my niece and nephew have curious hands and they can't hurt my speakers.

I'd get the Pioneer 5.0 (If you get it from BB sometimes they throw in the 21's for free - I saw the deal online recently) and then use the extra $$ for a quality sub from one of the often mentioned ID companies (HSU, Rythmik, Outlaw, Epik, SVS, etc.)

Good luck!

post #21 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
post #22 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone who has experience with these Pioneers also listened to or even upgraded to any ID company speakers? I'm specifically interested in SVS, since I've seen about as many nods for those in other posts as I've seen for the Pioneers.

Like my OP says, I'd really like to know if the extra money is really worth it or if you can even hear the difference.

I also like the idea of getting these cheap Pioneers now since I'm basically building a HT from the ground up, then upgrading to a nicer ID set some time from now when I can devote the money specifically to a set of speakers. I make money in lump sums, so this isn't far from my future financial reach.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I may actually be leaning towards the Pioneer set plus an HSU VTF-2MkIII at this point, but I still have over a week to decide.
post #23 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
At its price point, the Pioneer package doesn't really have any competition. However, you asked about other ID companies as well and I would recommend Ascend Acoustics. For around $1200 including shipping you could get a 5.0 setup which includes the 340-CMT-SE FR/FL, 340-CMT-SE C, and CBM-170-SE SR/SL. These are very neutral, accurate speakers compared to the "warmer" sounding Pioneers. Ascend Acoustics has a 30-day guarantee so you can send them back if you don't like them.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #24 of 27 Old 10-15-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

I see. So, for a noticeable jump in quality I'd have to spend about $700 - $1000 more then, is the consensus I'm getting.

Pioneer 5.0 set - $285
Ascend, Aperion, Paradigm, SVS, etc. 5.0 sets - $1k - $1.3k

Am I wrong here? I mean, I understand the HSU sub is a good investment as I can just add another one later if need be, but reselling the Pioneer set and upgrading to a nice ID set later on is sounding more and more enticing.

I don't mean to step on the toes of anyone who's given me advice on this thread, but given the price/quality gap there seems to be here, it just seems wiser to do it the way I'm proposing. ...Right?
post #25 of 27 Old 10-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Izbu, the BS41's are on sale for $99 on Woot. I HIGHLY suggest you jump on this, as this is an awesome deal--I never thought they'd drop down in price again ever since J&R finished up their stock. I just bought a pair myself, and will return the BS21's (which I bought for $99 at best buy, go figure)

I say just go ahead and get the FS51's, BS41's surround, center, and F12 sub. For the price, I don't think anybody would doubt the badassery of your setup. You'd have Stereophile and Home Theater Mag's blessings, I'm sure! I literally cannot stop listening to my setup, it sounds better every day. I sit here in this 'sweet spot', unmoving, for hours. I can unabashedly tell you this setup sounds great!
post #26 of 27 Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

$99? Thanks for the tip! Hopefully they stay that way for a few days til I get my check. Yeah, the F12 looks like a sweet deal, and now that I've learned I can have some variability in my choice as far as subs go, I'll have a little emergency buffer for unexpected expenses while I'm moving to the new place. The HSU is still my priority, though. I'm actually getting a LOT more money than my proposed budget, but I wanted to have a pretty large buffer for the move for furniture, etc. So who knows? I might end up with a really nice ID setup circumstances allowing. I'm just glad I got my question answered to the best of people's subjective opinion.
post #27 of 27 Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I don't think you will be disappointed at all with the Pioneer+F12 setup. However, you could go with a higher end setup and start with 2.1/2.0 or 3.0/3.1 and then upgrade as finances allow. Also, the most important thing you can do is listen to the speakers you're interested in (in the case of ID companies most allow returns after 30 days or less). Our subjective opinions are nice but ultimately it is your ears that must decide.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page