Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post

My budget for speakers is in the $1500ish range.

Paradigm seems to fill the room more, the Klipsch seem to have a wall. It's like you're listening to the Klipsch while Paradigm puts you into the sound.

There are times those horns really come in handy on the Klipsch, especially in action. Listening to missile fly by on the Klipsch has a bit more impact, a bit more wow. The paradigm is probably more on the realistic side, but it's warmer tones, at least for me in that kind of scene, hurts it a bit.

Definitely not as huge of a gap as there was with Klipsch and Pioneer. Of course not a big money difference either. Tough call to make.

I was expecting a bigger difference, makes me wonder if I just don't have a picky ear and maybe should just buy some satellites and save that money (or put it towards the projector).

I've spent countless hours listening to various speakers and reading about audio theory. At the end of the day, I think people overthink this stuff way too much. The goal is to get a flat response in your room and have enough dynamic range without distortion to play the material. You can easily effect how a speaker sounds with EQ and the various modes within a receiver. Speakers all sound different, but there's not one that's perfect. Theoretically, the more accurate a speaker gets the more they should sound the same. Speakers shouldn't add any coloration, but we all know that they do. I can't tell you which is better, but both Paradigm and Klipsch make great speakers.

In helping you with your decision, I'll give you my take on it; though keep in mind everyone is different. Good speakers will easily last you 10-years or more. A projector may last a few years and even if it lasts longer, you'll want to upgrade it sooner as prices always tend to come down and the quality improves. Think of it like this: how do you think 10-year old speakers sound compared to the new offerings versus a 10-year old TV or projector compared to a new one? Big difference, which is why I didn't want to go overboard spending too much on a projector. For example, the BenQ W1070 is around $900 while moving up to something better is 2x the cost or more. I figure in a few years the same blacks (and some features like Frame Interpolation, iris, brightness, noise, etc.) available today in the mid-range ~$2500 projectors will be available in the lower-end projectors in a few years. I bet a few years ago nobody thought you could get the features of the W1070 for under $1k.

I would get better speakers & sub versus a better projector, but that's me. When I say better, I don't mean more expensive, I mean more dynamic... more SPL, less distortion, good range for your needs, etc. Don't know what your budget and system setup will be, but hope this helps.

Good luck!

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

I've spent countless hours listening to various speakers and reading about audio theory. At the end of the day, I think people overthink this stuff way too much. The goal is to get a flat response in your room and have enough dynamic range without distortion to play the material. You can easily effect how a speaker sounds with EQ and the various modes within a receiver. Speakers all sound different, but there's not one that's perfect. Theoretically, the more accurate a speaker gets the more they should sound the same. Speakers shouldn't add any coloration, but we all know that they do. I can't tell you which is better, but both Paradigm and Klipsch make great speakers.

In helping you with your decision, I'll give you my take on it; though keep in mind everyone is different. Good speakers will easily last you 10-years or more. A projector may last a few years and even if it lasts longer, you'll want to upgrade it sooner as prices always tend to come down and the quality improves. Think of it like this: how do you think 10-year old speakers sound compared to the new offerings versus a 10-year old TV or projector compared to a new one? Big difference, which is why I didn't want to go overboard spending too much on a projector. For example, the BenQ W1070 is around $900 while moving up to something better is 2x the cost or more. I figure in a few years the same blacks (and some features like Frame Interpolation, iris, brightness, noise, etc.) available today in the mid-range ~$2500 projectors will be available in the lower-end projectors in a few years. I bet a few years ago nobody thought you could get the features of the W1070 for under $1k.

I would get better speakers & sub versus a better projector, but that's me. When I say better, I don't mean more expensive, I mean more dynamic... more SPL, less distortion, good range for your needs, etc. Don't know what your budget and system setup will be, but hope this helps.

Good luck!

This sounds like pretty sensible advice. I think there is a good argument in there for passive subwoofers too.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page