Building a room - need audio advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-06-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After having a home built over 3 years ago, I finally have the ability to build a room in the basement just for me. With that being said, I have to be budget conscious. The room will be roughly 12x24 with 8 foot ceilings. I intend to put a plasma in the middle of one of the 24' walls and would need to add a surround system, receiver, blu ray and a directv box. The plasma, tv and blue ray I have under control. But it has been many years since I have bought any type of surround systems and now seek advice.

My research so far has basically been cnet reviews and random forum reading. I like the idea of the Energy Take Classic 5.1 as I can mount everything to the wall and out of the way of a 2 year old. Floor speakers are out because of that. I've seen some mention that if I choose that system, I should only buy the sats and center channel, opting to purchase an ungraded Energy sub, but I can't seem to locate a way to make that purchase for $400. However, I am open to other options for wall mounted, semi small system for both movies and music. I listen to quite a range of things and I'd like the speakers to be able to handle movies as well as being able to play the music pretty loud when I want.

As for a receiver, I am completely lost. My old systems had CDand DVD players but this one will not. I'd like to be able to connect something like an ipod if needed. But I don't have an iphone or ipdad for the airplay function so that isn't important to me. I'd say that spending no more than $500 on the speakers and $400 on the receiver would be ideal.

I hope I've given enough info to warrant advice from you folks. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 784
If it were me, I'd put $600 into the speakers an $300 into the receiver. Something like the Denon AVR-1611. Get the Energy Take Classic 5 Pack at $300, and then the Energy S10.3 sub. Or use Polk Monitor series or Infinity Primus speakers with that Energy.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 9 Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 210
The energy take classics are a bit small for your room might want to look at Infinity P152's with a Infinity pc350 center with a Bic F12 subwoofer
post #4 of 9 Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

With infinity set, would I need to match them somehow? I guess I've always gotten the impression that the premade sets are balanced and takes the guess work out of having to piece together a system for it to sound good?

post #5 of 9 Old 11-06-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaison View Post

With infinity set, would I need to match them somehow? I guess I've always gotten the impression that the premade sets are balanced and takes the guess work out of having to piece together a system for it to sound good?

Well the Infinity Primus P152 are matched to other speakers in the Primus line So buying other speakers in the Primus line gives them the same balance sign you are looking for
http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/...USA&Country=US
post #6 of 9 Old 11-06-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
I have a question to the OP:

Is this "man cave" a dedicated room for A/V or a theater? The reason I ask is that you have a 12x24 room and you're placing your TV on one of the wide walls. Usually, if it's possible, you want to orient your TV or screen with it placed on one of the short walls and work from there.

Just asking...

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #7 of 9 Old 11-06-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

No, it isn't going to be a dedicated room. I understand what you are saying about putting the set on the shorter walls but it doesn't work well for me. I would prefer floor speakers up front, but that wont work either. I may build everything in wall or RF if so everything is hidden and clean. I just want something that rocks without having to destroy my wallet. Building the room is going to be pricy enough.

post #8 of 9 Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

So with the deals on Crutchfield, I can get the Infinity P162 for $85 each plus the PC350 for $200 more - $540 total. But I need still need a sub. Do you think this set would be good for my room at that price? What sub would fill these?

post #9 of 9 Old 11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaison View Post

So with the deals on Crutchfield, I can get the Infinity P162 for $85 each plus the PC350 for $200 more - $540 total. But I need still need a sub. Do you think this set would be good for my room at that price? What sub would fill these?

You have a decent sized room, so you need speakers and a sub that can handle it.

A nicer sounding alternative to those particular Infinity's, IMHO, that would play well in that room would be these due to price vs. performance. Get a little bit at a time, if you need to.

HSU HB-1 mk2 bookshelf monitors... $129 each (sale price)
HSU HC-1 mk2 center... $209 each (sale price)... some use an HB-1 as a center for three identical speakers across the front, depending on space requirements.

http://www.hsuresearch.com

Denon AVR-1712 - $399 (probably will go on sale towards the holidays)... 90 watts / channel.

Add a sub later.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page