Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 11-08-2011, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

From what I read about the OP's receiver, it is capable of doing just that. Most new and mid to high expense AVRs can do this. My older receiver doesn't even have a HDMI port, only RCA/Component & Optical/Coax. Wouldn't most new receivers with HDMI, not need a dual cable set-up, if they are using HDMI? I know the new receiver I'm getting this week has a pass through HDMI connection, so I wouldn't need two cables from the tv or Blu Ray, if I was using HDMI.

From what I understand, those AVRs that are labeled "3D", have this pass through connection, and don't need dual hookups with HDMI. They are also labeled HDMI 1.4 capable.

What's new in the HDMI 1.4 specification?
Audio Return Channel
The new specification adds an audio channel that will reduce the number of cables required to deliver audio "upstream" from a TV to an A/V receiver for processing and playback. In cases where a TV features an internal content source, such as a built-in tuner or DVD player, the Audio Return Channel allows the TV to send audio data upstream to the A/V receiver via the HDMI cable, eliminating the need for an extra cable.

Its more of a function of how new your receiver is rather than how good it is. If you have a flagship most expensive receiver from 3 years ago you don't have ARC. If you have even the cheapest receiver from last year you probably have it.

3D passthrough is completely separate. That just means if your receiver isn't 3D capable it can still pass the video signal along to the TV and process the audio signal normally. This was mainly for if your TV and blu ray player could do 3D but your receiver couldn't you wouldn't have to bypass the receiver to watch 3D blu rays.

If you get a receiver from last years batch onward neither of these things will be an issue as I think just about any HDMI receiver will already be 3D capable and have ARC. You would just have to make sure your tv also has ARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 11-08-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

10dB S/N, and my system does not have any issues, other than those intrinsic to all gear that uses unbalanced connections. OTOH my subwoofer also has roughly 10dB higher sensitivity than average, so 60Hz noise that would not be noticed with other subs is audible with mine.

If I can ask... what did you use for measurement gear?

And again I suggest that 60Hz "hum" is usually indicative of ground/power issues. Sensitivity of the sub is not part of the equation. Hum at -10, 0 or +10 is still a 60Hz hum. Also... as I alluded, by your insertion of a "light pipe", you eliminated one of the potential culprits.
post #33 of 36 Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240 View Post

The 2nd cable is going from the TV to the receiver, not from the receiver to the TV.

I thought we were talking about digital audio cables and the ones I know of have the same connection on each end. What kind of cable is different tv to receiver than receiver to tv?
post #34 of 36 Old 11-09-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I think what he is saying is that your are sending the audio signal from the TV to the receiver.

Afro GT
post #35 of 36 Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

I thought we were talking about digital audio cables and the ones I know of have the same connection on each end. What kind of cable is different tv to receiver than receiver to tv?

The cables have the same connections on each end. The ports you are plugging them into are either inputs or outputs however. An input will read data and an output will transmit data. When he says from the receiver to the TV he is saying the output of the receiver is connected to the input on the TV.
post #36 of 36 Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thank you for the clarification.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page