Building new media room - $10k budget for gear - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm about to embark on a remodel job for a basement media room, and I'm going to budget $10k for the following:

TV(yeah, doing a flatpanel of some sort)
5.1 speakers
Receiver or go separates?

I met with a very knowledgeable local guy today, and he gave me his opinion, and I plan to work with him further, but I'd like to hear from the people on this forum.

The room(roughly 20 x 25) will be used almost exclusively TV/movies, and with some video games. If I were to sacrifice on the video vs audio stuff, I'd spend rather spend more on audio, no question about it. Aesthetics will also be important for this room, so no hideous looking speakers, though floor standing speakers are fine. Looking forward to hearing opinions. At some point, we're also going to integrate something to get music throughout the house, but that might not be part of this project, if that helps. Thanks!

Also - previously, in my old home(before marriage), I had an M&K 750 THX setup with a lower end Denon 5.1 receiver, and it was fun, but I'm looking forward to an upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 145
First, assuming 3k for a tv, that would leave you 7k for AVR, speakers and subs. As a generality, and considering your intended use, I would suggest looking at high sensitivity controlled directivity speaker designs since that lessens the need for high amplification - allowing the use of an AVR instead of an amp. Also, the sub is a critical component to the sound and enjoyment of movies/games, so spend heavy on it.

For your budget, my suggestion is as follows:
AVR: Denon 4311ci @ $1800.00

Speakers: eD Cinema Series - 3 x eD[c]12 fronts/center, 2 x eD[c]6 surrounds and all with upgraded B&C DE250 compression drivers, upgraded woofers and gloss black finish @ ~ $2800.00

Sub: Seaton Sound SubmersiveHP @ $2400.00 delivered

As to the whole house audio distribution, I recommend Sonos. As an owner for many years, I don't think there's a better distributed audio system on the market anywhere near its cost.

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #3 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. If I were to back down to something like the Denon 3312 instead, and back down the TV to something more in the $2k range, what would you do on the speaker side of things? I'm not familiar with eD, though in looking at their speakers, they look to be bookshelf size, and I think I would prefer floor standing speakers in the front.
post #4 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 07:16 AM
NBR

Have you thought about going projector? It's quite an amazing thing watching a 100"-120" screen over something that a tv can offer. The quality may not be as good but in my opinion, it's just amazing.

The Denon 3312 should be a fine receiver and you can always ad an amp in the future if you want more juice.

I believe eD started out with subwoofers but for the past few years have been branching out to speakers as well. There has been a trend lately for home theater. People are moving toward pro speakers like JBL Pro, JTR speakers, Klipsch THX Ultra II, and so forth. eD's new speaker seems to move toward that direction as well.
post #5 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR View Post

Have you thought about going projector? It's quite an amazing thing watching a 100"-120" screen over something that a tv can offer. The quality may not be as good but in my opinion, it's just amazing.

The Denon 3312 should be a fine receiver and you can always ad an amp in the future if you want more juice.

I believe eD started out with subwoofers but for the past few years have been branching out to speakers as well. There has been a trend lately for home theater. People are moving toward pro speakers like JBL Pro, JTR speakers, Klipsch THX Ultra II, and so forth. eD's new speaker seems to move toward that direction as well.

I agree. Take a look at projectors. If we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #6 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJ View Post

Thanks for the response. If I were to back down to something like the Denon 3312 instead, and back down the TV to something more in the $2k range, what would you do on the speaker side of things? I'm not familiar with eD, though in looking at their speakers, they look to be bookshelf size, and I think I would prefer floor standing speakers in the front.

You can't do much better than the eD's for HT for anywhere around their price. The JTR Triple 8's would be the next step in my opinion. Any savings from a lesser display etc, should be applied toward room optimization. Purchasing OmniMic from Parts Express, and some simple acoustic treatments would enable you to take a set of parts and mess them into a jaw dropping, realistic HT experience. OmniMic, is extremely simple to use. Minutes, no kidding, minutes from unpacking, you can be performing simple measurements to optimize the blend of the sub/mains to your space. It's all about the room.

At your budget;
Panasonic plasma
Denon receiver (or whatever,...find the features you want,..Audyessy etc.)
eD mains, all identical, smaller surrounds and stick with 5.1
Seaton Submersive/JTR Captivator (Seaton for regular spaces, Cap for large spaces)
OmniMic, and some simple acoustic treatments and optimizing techniques(bass traps first, first reflection points second, additional diffusion third)

This system would blow you away. If you've never had the pleasure of experiencing what high sensitivity/high output/low distortion loudspeaker designs, it takes you closer to the ideal. Typical hifi speakers, with dome tweeter approaches have served us well for decades for music. However Home Theater and the incredible soundtracks that accompany releases these days are phenomenal. The transients and huge dynamics that occur in these soundtracks task loudspeakers with dynamic swings that easily encompass 30-35db. These huge transients, and the amounts of energy needed for realism aren't suited for typical dome tweeter offerings.

This brings us to todays loudspeaker designs, and many of the best have compression drivers. These eD mains in a typical room, with these drivers and modern HT material, would enable low distortion reference level at the listening position, and likely high resolution bass w/extension down to 10hz depending on cabin gain. This would be quite capable.

If dynamic realism isn't a priority, then you could easily pursue other approaches. But if dynamic realism is an aspect you're interested in, then I'd certainly contact eD, JTR, and Mark Seaton.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #7 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IMO, take the savings on those items and go on a vacation. Or, as was suggested, buy measuring gear and room treatments. Those savings are not enough to "upgrade" to something better than the eD's.

You gain nothing with floorstanders in your situation if you have the proper sub. Unless its purely an asthetitics issue. My guess is your local dealer is trying to sell you some "audiophile" floorstanders? All I can say is those eD's and the Submersive would make those "audiophile" floorstanders pee in their cabinets from embarrassment and performance anxiety. Not even a fair fight in the HT/gaming arena where dynamics are the highest priority.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #8 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:

Hi all,

I'm about to embark on a remodel job for a basement media room, and I'm going to budget $10k for the following:

TV(yeah, doing a flatpanel of some sort)
5.1 speakers
Receiver or go separates?

I met with a very knowledgeable local guy today, and he gave me his opinion, and I plan to work with him further, but I'd like to hear from the people on this forum.

The room(roughly 20 x 25) will be used almost exclusively TV/movies, and with some video games. If I were to sacrifice on the video vs audio stuff, I'd spend rather spend more on audio, no question about it. Aesthetics will also be important for this room, so no hideous looking speakers, though floor standing speakers are fine. Looking forward to hearing opinions. At some point, we're also going to integrate something to get music throughout the house, but that might not be part of this project, if that helps. Thanks!

Also - previously, in my old home(before marriage), I had an M&K 750 THX setup with a lower end Denon 5.1 receiver, and it was fun, but I'm looking forward to an upgrade.

How much value do you place on aesthetics? The pro driver speakers mentioned so far are far from aesthetic IMO.
post #9 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gooddoc and FOH have given you great advice. However, if you want floorstanders for aesthetic reasons, maybe consider JTR Quintuples, or Triple 12s. Downside is that these are around 5K with custom finishes so that eats up alot of budget. Still fits right within your 10K budget, but I doubt the upgrade from the eD 2ways will be significant. I'm sure there are other floorstanders that are good performers but I can't think of them right now. Main thing is, you need to decide how much you prefer the look of floorstanders over large bookshelves.
post #10 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Aesthetics are fairly important, but not at the expense of performance. I'm sure there is a way to implement something like the eD speakers on a mount or something that would make them look good. Actually, wall mounted may not be a bad idea as we could get cable into the wall too. Lots of planning to be done, but I really appreciate the recommendations to this point.
post #11 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBR View Post

+1 Good points

Depending on how one would like to approach potential upgrade paths, a receiver with modest power levels will be just fine. Then, ultimately, add bigger amps for mains, letting the receiver's more modest amps to power surrounds/rears. Now, or even in the future,...high quality outboard power is absolutely dirt cheap. $175 shipped, for each channel of 600 watts of power,...can't beat it. Typically, amps like Behringer's EP2000/4000 are available so reasonably, and so quick,..ie, just a phone call away.

Cheap, high quality power is here, it hasn't always been that way. Don't allow anyone to convince you there's big differences in amp sound quality either. Amps working within their linear envelope are virtually identical.

Good luck

post #12 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Aesthetics are fairly important, but not at the expense of performance. I'm sure there is a way to implement something like the eD speakers on a mount or something that would make them look good. Actually, wall mounted may not be a bad idea as we could get cable into the wall too. Lots of planning to be done, but I really appreciate the recommendations to this point.

Line 'em up horizontally just above the display, and place them on custom shelfs,.... similar to soffit mounted mains at recording studios. I've done it, works well. Just toe in and down, aiming directly at the listening area. Having continuity horizontally, is more important than having them at ear level. As long as they're aiming at the front/center position,..it's all good.

post #13 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Let's see. I would get five Philharmonic 1 tower speakers for $800 each = $4,000.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/philharmonic1.html

I would get four Rythmik FV12 subwoofers for $500 each = $2,000.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

Then get Denon, Yamaha, or Pioneer Elite AVR.

Denon 3312 for $1100:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR3312C...0689769&sr=1-1

Denon 3311 for $857:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-3311...0689951&sr=1-2

Yamaha RX-A1000 for $687:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A100...0689846&sr=1-1

BenQ W6000 for $1500.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

120" screen for $500:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...0689531&sr=1-2

Or get six KEF Q900 for $1289/pr delivered, which = $3867 for six speakers (which would be 6.1 system or keep a spare in closet and do just 5.1)
post #14 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Cheap, high quality power is here, it hasn't always been that way. Don't allow anyone to convince you there's big differences in amp sound quality either. Amps working within their linear envelope are virtually identical.

Good luck

Just wanted to build on that point by stating that any differences that might exist between expensive and well built cheap amps are diminutive compared to the difference between a well treated room and an untreated room. I'm not saying you absolutely must treat the room(especially since aesthetics are important to you). Rather, it is much more important to treat your room before worrying about differences in amp sound quality.
post #15 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Let's see. I would get five Philharmonic 1 tower speakers for $800 each = $4,000.

Denon 3312 for $1100:

Denon 3311 for $857:

BenQ W6000 for $1500.

120" screen for $500:

Or get six KEF Q900 for $1289/pr delivered, which = $3867 for six speakers (which would be 6.1 system or keep a spare in closet and do just 5.1)

Those Philharmonics look like nice music speakers, but to hit reference level at a distance of 12 ft. would require 1K watts of power. As well, the Kef's are rated for a maximum output of 102 dB at 12 ft.. I don't doubt their musical chops at moderate volumes, but they're far from ideal HT/gaming speakers.

Keep in mind that my perspective is that an HT speaker should be capable of reference level playback at reasonable listening distances and do it well within their performance envelope. I realize that is not everyone's benchmark so I like to be clear about the angle I'm looking at things.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #16 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I am still months away, but something like the Seaton sub looks great, along with the eD speakers. With that said, what would you recommend regarding the mounts for the speakers? With regards to room treatment, I think I can do that too, but give me some idea about:

1)Cost for 'some' room treatment and how difficult a process this is to eliminate the unwanted resonance etc. The Omnimic appears to be $250'ish. I still have my old RadioShack SPL device, and I would probably go that route...for now. I'm sure at some point my ears will pick up on the nuances of the system and I'll want to address them, but I also realize that this thing is a process, and there are always upgrades.

2)At my price point, is something like the Denon a better way to go than considering separates? It sounds like this is the case, and I'm fine with that. Again - I can(and probably will), upgrade down the road a bit.
post #17 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I'd unequivocally third and fourth the suggestion of a 1080p projector/screen over a wall mount TV. I wouldn't go 3D unless you're willing to put up some cash for a Sony or JVC or more expensive DLP unit.

I don't think you need to spend over $1,000 on a receiver... just use it as a pre-amp. The Onkyo 809 would do you just fine. Around $650 to $730 on the internet. Amazon is sold out right now.

Get an Outlaw Audio 5 or 7 channel power amp next. A much better combo.

Are you sure you only want 5.1 surround? 7.1 is better...

Don't discount checking out Triad Gold speakers. Phenomenal, accurate sound. Better than some of these cheaper compression/horn speakers. Perhaps use their boxed in-wall L/C/R's and do an acoustically transparent screen... SeymourAV, SMX, etc. or DIY with SeymourAV screen material and build your own frame.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #18 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Ok, I am still months away, but something like the Seaton sub looks great, along with the eD speakers. With that said, what would you recommend regarding the mounts for the speakers? With regards to room treatment, I think I can do that too, but give me some idea about:

1)Cost for 'some' room treatment and how difficult a process this is to eliminate the unwanted resonance etc. The Omnimic appears to be $250'ish. I still have my old RadioShack SPL device, and I would probably go that route...for now. I'm sure at some point my ears will pick up on the nuances of the system and I'll want to address them, but I also realize that this thing is a process, and there are always upgrades.

2)At my price point, is something like the Denon a better way to go than considering separates? It sounds like this is the case, and I'm fine with that. Again - I can(and probably will), upgrade down the road a bit.

You can always go with Diy for your roomTreatment Look here this guy did a pretty nifty job, with his. Sure he got some help, and he explains how you can cut cost, there are a few threads around here on the subject. I wouldn't skim on the acoustic treatment one bit knowing what I know now.

I have a Denon 4311ci, with a 3 channel amp for the front three speakers in my opinion the most important of the speakers in HT, and then the AVR pushing the rears, so it's a pseudo separates system, sort off.

Good luck
post #19 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
No offense to the Submersives, but I'd go DIY for the subwoofer all the way, perhaps having someone make the cabinets if you're not interested in that part. I'd go with dual LMS5400 and either Seaton or JTR for the speakers and call it a day.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #20 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I've read some of the buzz surrounding Seaton speakers, but I've never heard them. One of these days.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #21 of 33 Old 11-07-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
My link to emotiva doesn't seem to be working, sorry about that.

Djoel
post #22 of 33 Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

No offense to the Submersives, but I'd go DIY for the subwoofer all the way, perhaps having someone make the cabinets if you're not interested in that part. I'd go with dual LMS5400 and either Seaton or JTR for the speakers and call it a day.

DIY is a great way to go if there's the desire and skills required. Until very recently, I wasn't interested in DIY and even amongst the forum members DIY'ers are a small minority. Good suggestion nonetheless.

JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
post #23 of 33 Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post

....., it is much more important to treat your room before worrying about differences in amp sound quality.

+1 This is spot on

post #24 of 33 Old 11-08-2011, 10:53 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could perform room treatments yourself with a DIY effort.

Here's a couple crucial reads;
Ethan's take on things.
Floyd Toole's approach to good bass in room.

Good luck

post #25 of 33 Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I would too! I merely considered commercial offerings. A couple LMS5400's in custom boxes by eD, powered by a pair of EP4000, EQ'd with a MIC2200. $3k plus, and you've got world class LF

For that matter, for half that price, ~$1500, one could have a quad 18" set IB, powered by an EP4000, and hit 128db@20hz@1m before clipping in a typical 3500 cube room, with 225watts per driver (no compression) and no EQ needed for a LT circuit

Or, you could ........

post #26 of 33 Old 11-08-2011, 11:08 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I've read some of the buzz surrounding Seaton speakers, but I've never heard them. One of these days.

Do yourself a favor,....it's worth the effort.

Also, IMO their is only two mfrs making properly designed sealed subwoofers that truly possess high resolution extension into the single digits, and understand the entire signal path (onboard amps, etc.) must accommodate these goals as well.

Thanks

post #27 of 33 Old 11-08-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I would too! I merely considered commercial offerings. A couple LMS5400's in custom boxes by eD, powered by a pair of EP4000, EQ'd with a MIC2200. $3k plus, and you've got world class LF

For that matter, for half that price, ~$1500, one could have a quad 18" set IB, powered by an EP4000, and hit 128db@1m before clipping in a typical 3500 cube room, with 225watts per driver (no compression) and no EQ needed for a LT circuit

Or, you could ........

Hehe, God bless DIY. DIY for the win!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #28 of 33 Old 11-08-2011, 03:36 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Denon 3312 for $1100:

Denon 3311 for $857:

BenQ W6000 for $1500.

120" screen for $500:

Those Philharmonics look sweet. A wonderful little 2 channel rig would be well served by those bad boys,...I've not spent much time checking them out,..so thanks for the heads up for sure. The upgraded Raal ribbon would be tempting too.

post #29 of 33 Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yah, about 6 years ago, I might have considered the DIY route, but that just isn't in the cards for me. Not that it isn't worth the money, but I don't have the time, tools, or inclination to build the stuff myself(yeah, even the sub). The guy I met with spoke highly of the B&W CM8's - thoughts? How would they do as fronts if paired with something like a Seaton Submersive? I've read comparisons between the JL Audio stuff and the Seaton, and it seems the Seaton is preferred. What do you folks think?
post #30 of 33 Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Lynn will you listen much above 75db? Do you like really loud? If so, then the Elemental Design can play loud and I'm sure clean. If you don't listen at that kind of level, you don't need to worry about buying something that can hit reference levels. So many people make a big fuss about "hitting reference levels" without ever asking the person buying if they listen to anything at that volume. There are lots of speakers that will sound better(subjectively speaking) than the ed's...but they may not hit reference levels.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page