Front Height Experiences....?!? Yamaha Presence, Audyssey DSX, Dolby IIz & DTS NEO X. - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Your Experience with Front Heights...?!?
Awesome.. Go for it...!!! 0 0%
I was not Impressed...!!! 0 0%
Can't Say for sure. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-08-2011, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi people,

I'm buying a new AVR and most probably it will come with one of the variations of Front Height or probably all. I really can't be making holes and hang speakers on top of my fronts in my living hall as my parents won't be too happy if it didn't sound good and wasn't worth the effort.

Then i'd have to remove them and also have to cover up and redo the damage done to the walls by the speaker mounts.

So what i'm trying to do here is gather experiences from members who have tried Front Heights and know how they feel about it.

So member who have tried out Front Height Speakers...

1. In what ways does it add to the movie experience ?

2. Is it useful for all types of movies or only particular genres or particular types of scenes ?

P.S I've also added a Poll.

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Since there are no actual dedicated height channel recordings for movies, the sound won't be as spectacular and accurate as, say, surround speakers, BUT I do think they enhance the movie watching experience. (I have a Pioneer receiver with DPLIIZ btw)

It makes the front soundstage sound a wee bit more full. Also helps give height to things in a movie (you laugh now, but I'm serious).

As far as what sounds it helps with, I'd say weather (thunder, wind, etc.), and things that are obviously in the sky (helicopters, planes, etc). I also have noticed if I watch sports or play a sports video game I can hear the crowd in the arena/stadium better. Almost like I'm on the field with people watching that are screaming from high above in the nosebleeds.

If your height speakers can't go at least 3-4 feet above the top of your main R/L though, I wouldn't waste the money. They work optimally when they're much higher than the mains.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #3 of 12 Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I use a Yamaha receiver and the front heights are enabled any time you use one of the DSP modes such as Action, Sports or Drama. It has a lot of options ranging from role playing game sound enhancement to playing music back and adding ambience to make it sound like you are actually in the music hall in which yuo choose. Another cool thing you can do with Yamaha's front height speakers is use the option called dialog lift. It does what it says it does. It brings the dialog up a little bit to make it sound lime its coming from the middle of the TV and not under it.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Honestly if you are getting a receiver that can do Heights, do DSX Wides instead. They do a TON more to improve the front soundstage - provided you have room for them and can get speakers in the same family and voice matching as the left, center, and right channel.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

Honestly if you are getting a receiver that can do Heights, do DSX Wides instead. They do a TON more to improve the front soundstage - provided you have room for them and can get speakers in the same family and voice matching as the left, center, and right channel.

I agree, but like you said, you need the room for them. I had to settle for the next best thing which are Yamaha Pressence Channels that are placed 2 to 3 feet outside the right and left channel. You are still getting the benefit of a wider front sound stage if you only have room on the front wall.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

Another cool thing you can do with Yamaha's front height speakers is use the option called dialog lift. It does what it says it does. It brings the dialog up a little bit to make it sound lime its coming from the middle of the TV and not under it.

How is this? Do you like/use it?

Onkyo/Integra offers a similar feature they call "screen centered dialog", which lets the user send an adjustable amount of the center signal to the height speakers. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

It bugs me at times when the dialog is obviously not coming from the screen, so this interests me.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer amp with IIz. I opted to go height + 5.1 instead of 7.1 due to my room layout. After about a year of use, I can only name ONE time where I thought "wow, the height channel added something". Otherwise I don't notice the height channels doing anything at all.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

It bugs me at times when the dialog is obviously not coming from the screen, so this interests me.

To fix this you just have to aim your center channel directly at your ear height (tilt it up or down depending on where it is). My center channel is 2 feet ABOVE my TV and the sound is perfect regardless of its position. I have it angled down to the listening area.

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #9 of 12 Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I like the height effect (there was no "I like it" catagory ) and think it was worth the time, money and effort. My room does not lend itself to wides or I would have tried that first. Using Audyssey DSX.

I can say that given a choice of only one, I would rather have height speakers than my surround backs.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #10 of 12 Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock R View Post

I have a Pioneer amp with IIz. I opted to go height + 5.1 instead of 7.1 due to my room layout. After about a year of use, I can only name ONE time where I thought "wow, the height channel added something". Otherwise I don't notice the height channels doing anything at all.

I can comment on the height speakers with Pioneer since I never heard them. Although I know for a fact is that Yamaha makes use of them quite a bit. If you watch a movie in the Yamaha DSP mode called Spectacle, it enhances the sound stage in every single movie. Also, the Yamaha presence speakers can be utilized during music which has a nice sounding effect as well.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-12-2011, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I also have a Pioneer SC 35 and like the height speakers. They offer more than surround back speakers. They can be thought of as added front presence speakers. I used small satellite speakers for height speaker with my HT and did not feel that they made a difference. Then I changed to better height speaker and boy, that made a big difference. I hear things out of them all the time now. So, you can't just throw up any speaker for the height effect. Make sure the speaker used for height are a good match for your mains. I have a 7.1 avr and run a 9.1 setup. This setup lends itself well to HT and music. Depending on the source, the avr switches to the most the correct surround mode. My wife was not crazy about me putting holes in the walls, but she loves the system now!

Pioneer SC 35 AVR
Klipsch VF 35 Front
Klipsch VS 14 Front Height
Klipsch VS 14 Surround
Klipsch VC 25 Center
Klipsch VB 15 Surround Back
AA RW 15 sub

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #12 of 12 Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 AM

I've put up pliiz heights and I really like them. I think the important thing is to aim them at the listening position. Some of the reviewers had them aimed over the listening position and never heard them but I have them directed at the listening position and I hear them often. Transformers 3 really gave them a workout. Pliiz is subtle though it will only play when the same sound plays in every channel so they aren't playing all the time, they really kick in at dramatic moments. I'm really happy with them, I actually have a perfect layout for 7.1 and tried it for a year but I just like the heights better so I've gone back to it. I haven't tried DSX so I can't really comment on that. Sounds like they are more aggresive in how much content they send to the heights but I haven't heard it.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page