Living Room 5.1 for $600 - Suggestions? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You all have been great! Thanks to all for your replies on this thread. It has been very informative!

I've Narrowed It Down...

It has also been challenging to sort through the options against my size constraints. I have found that outside of an HTIB solution, I can come close with just a few non-HTIB solutions.

I've ordered the TV and will know precisely my size constraints for the center speaker later this week, right now I estimate 4 inches are available from bottom of TV stand to top of the TV's bottom bezel. I've also found a shelf that seems the right size and able to support the TV to give me extra 2 inches height, totaling approximately 6 inches for a center speaker's height.

Because of where I am going to place them, and the detailed/thoughtful feedback I received from sholling about the effects of having bass ports / vents, it took quite some time to research, but I have found that the speakers from Definitive Technology are best fit. They have speakers that have good performance specs, that are almost the right size (i.e. 4 inch center) or have a few more that are close (i.e. within 6 inches for center), and that are sealed / passive radiator.

BarnacleBill is right that suggestions provided tend to bust the budget. Fortunately, I can stretch my budget (hey, I can spend way more, but I think there are clearly diminishing returns here and I'm trying for a practical balance of performance to a reasonable budget...just like I drive Ford/Toyota vs BMW/Lexus, even though I could).

Clearly, my budget is blown going the non-HTIB route (and that is going 3.1 with DefTec and, say, the Emotiva Ultra 12), even with the lowest priced units. Brand new, the minimum will be $840, and the maximum $1430 (ouch!). Perhaps I can mitigate this and get close to my budget if I find a good deal used (more on this later).

Questions on Matching...

For folks who know DefTec, is there tonal match between the Mythos line and the StudioMonitor or ProMonitor speakers?

I am prompted to ask, as one of the recommended configurations from DefTec is ProMonitor 800 satellites with Mythos 3 center (and Mythos 6 fronts). This seems to imply some tonal matching, though, granted, satellites are less critical for this. If I can match Mythos, Studio, Pro then I can have the greatest flexibility when hunting for deals. For instance, the Mythos 7 has the best fitting height at 4.1 inches (if it comes to that) and I'd like to use Studios or Pros work with this.

Questions on Sound Quality...

How should I rank the following Bookshelves for sound quality? Based on frequency response, it seem to be as follows, but price per pair (lowest I could find) does not follow this order. There may be other factors/characteristics that play into SQ that I am not knowledgeable about (e.g. Mythos Gems have the angled drivers).
  1. StudioMonitor 450 - $658 (nearly most expensive)
  2. StudioMonitor 350 - $498
  3. ProMonitor 1000 - $438
  4. Mythos Gem XL - $698 (most expensive)
  5. ProMonitor 800 - $290 (cheapest)
  6. Mythos Gem - $558
How should I rank the following Centers for sound quality?
  1. C/L/R 2002 - $356
  2. ProCenter 2000 - $349 (may be too tall at 6.5 inches)
  3. Mythos 3 - $300
  4. ProCenter 1000 - $220 (cheapest)
  5. Mythos 7 - $399 (this is most expensive and is the shortest at 4.1 inches)
Not sure what I can land through the used market, but the ProMonitor 800s with the ProCenter 1000 is the cheapest way to go new. Assuming I pick up a good sub, will I find anything lacking with this combo?

Question on Subs...

If I were to go with ProMonitor 800s and ProCenter 1000, that would be just over $500. An Ultra 12 is another $330. I could stretch a couple hundred more to get a better sub (as recommended by a few folks here, as making a noticeable difference for our enjoyment). It seems that threshold is reaching 20Hz (thanks sholling).

Hsu was recommended, and I checked them out...looks like VTF-2 MK4 fits the bill at 18Hz. It goes for $519, which keeps me at about the $1000 mark. If feedback here on the 800s + 1000 indicates I ought to upgrade from them, I think my backup plan is the Ultra 12 for a sub to keep cost down.

Thoughts/Recommendations?

Question on Buying Used...

Being an noob and not being an audiophile, how do I evaluate a used speaker for condition? What discount from retail should I expect (>50%?)?

In my city, through Craigslist I see some DefTec speakers advertised. They are not much below current new prices, but I presume that is negotiable. I presume I should test them first, but what should I bring and what should I look for (i.e. potential problem areas)?

Thanks!

I know I've put a lot out there today for feedback, but I do appreciate all the responses so far. It has been an education, and I feel that when the dust settles I'll have a system our family can really enjoy, while not busting the bank, thanks to your knowledgeable input.

I look forward to you responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted99 View Post

You all have been great! Thanks to all for your replies on this thread. It has been very informative!

I've Narrowed It Down...

It has also been challenging to sort through the options against my size constraints. I have found that outside of an HTIB solution, I can come close with just a few non-HTIB solutions.

I've ordered the TV and will know precisely my size constraints for the center speaker later this week, right now I estimate 4 inches are available from bottom of TV stand to top of the TV's bottom bezel. I've also found a shelf that seems the right size and able to support the TV to give me extra 2 inches height, totaling approximately 6 inches for a center speaker's height.

Because of where I am going to place them, and the detailed/thoughtful feedback I received from sholling about the effects of having bass ports / vents, it took quite some time to research, but I have found that the speakers from Definitive Technology are best fit. They have speakers that have good performance specs, that are almost the right size (i.e. 4 inch center) or have a few more that are close (i.e. within 6 inches for center), and that are sealed / passive radiator.

BarnacleBill is right that suggestions provided tend to bust the budget. Fortunately, I can stretch my budget (hey, I can spend way more, but I think there are clearly diminishing returns here and I'm trying for a practical balance of performance to a reasonable budget...just like I drive Ford/Toyota vs BMW/Lexus, even though I could).

Clearly, my budget is blown going the non-HTIB route (and that is going 3.1 with DefTec and, say, the Emotiva Ultra 12), even with the lowest priced units. Brand new, the minimum will be $840, and the maximum $1430 (ouch!). Perhaps I can mitigate this and get close to my budget if I find a good deal used (more on this later).

Questions on Matching...

For folks who know DefTec, is there tonal match between the Mythos line and the StudioMonitor or ProMonitor speakers?

I am prompted to ask, as one of the recommended configurations from DefTec is ProMonitor 800 satellites with Mythos 3 center (and Mythos 6 fronts). This seems to imply some tonal matching, though, granted, satellites are less critical for this. If I can match Mythos, Studio, Pro then I can have the greatest flexibility when hunting for deals. For instance, the Mythos 7 has the best fitting height at 4.1 inches (if it comes to that) and I'd like to use Studios or Pros work with this.

How should I rank the following Bookshelves for sound quality? Based on frequency response, it seem to be as follows, but price per pair (lowest I could find) does not follow this order. There may be other factors/characteristics that play into SQ that I am not knowledgeable about (e.g. Mythos Gems have the angled drivers).
  6. Mythos Gem - $558
  1. C/L/R 2002 - $356
  3. Mythos 3 - $300
Not sure what I can land through the used market, but the ProMonitor 800s with the ProCenter 1000 is the cheapest way to go new. Assuming I pick up a good sub, will I find anything lacking with this combo?

Question on Subs...

If I were to go with ProMonitor 800s and ProCenter 1000, that would be just over $500. An Ultra 12 is another $330. I could stretch a couple hundred more to get a better sub (as recommended by a few folks here, as making a noticeable difference for our enjoyment). It seems that threshold is reaching 20Hz (thanks sholling).

Hsu was recommended, and I checked them out...looks like VTF-2 MK4 fits the bill at 18Hz. It goes for $519, which keeps me at about the $1000 mark. If feedback here on the 800s + 1000 indicates I ought to upgrade from them, I think my backup plan is the Ultra 12 for a sub to keep cost down.

Being an noob and not being an audiophile, how do I evaluate a used speaker for condition? What discount from retail should I expect (>50%?)?

In my city, through Craigslist I see some DefTec speakers advertised. They are not much below current new prices, but I presume that is negotiable. I presume I should test them first, but what should I bring and what should I look for (i.e. potential problem areas)?

Thanks!

I know I've put a lot out there today for feedback, but I do appreciate all the responses so far. It has been an education, and I feel that when the dust settles I'll have a system our family can really enjoy, while not busting the bank, thanks to your knowledgeable input.

My friend, unfortunately, the Emotiva is sold out.

post #63 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 778
As I mentioned previously, the Ultra 12 was on closeout and appears to be no longer available. The X-Ref 10 appears to be comparable based on data from a recent review.

My choice would be the HSU VTF2.4 because I feel that the extra low frequency extension is worthwhile for movie watching. Or, for a little less money, the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus (similar performance to the VTF2.4) can be had for $549 shipped with a free wireless setup as part of black friday sale; sell the wireless on ebay for $50 if you don't need it.

The Epik Legend which is a dual sealed sub is $499 shipped at the moment. It will be in between the HSU/Outlaw and the X-Ref/Ultra 12 in low frequency extension and musicality.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #64 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I've Narrowed It Down...

Questions on Matching...

6. Mythos Gem - $558
  1. C/L/R 2002 - $356
  3. Mythos 3 - $300
Not sure what I can land through the used market, but the ProMonitor 800s with the ProCenter 1000 is the cheapest way to go new. Assuming I pick up a “good” sub, will I find anything lacking with this combo?

Question on Subs...

Thanks!

Care to share where you found this shelf to raise you TV? Also the Emotiva Ultra Sub12 is no longer available so you might want to scratch that from your list.
post #65 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1 View Post

Care to share where you found this shelf to raise you TV? Also the Emotiva Ultra Sub12 is no longer available so you might want to scratch that from your list.

Sure, depending on size of the TV stand as measured when it is here, I found two shelves on Amazon that look like they could support what I need, while aesthetically pleasing. 36 inches wide x 10 deep and 48 inches wide x 12 deep

I presume the Ultra 12 will be restocked at some point in the next 30 days, however, I am interested in comparable alternatives at $500 or under that would be the next step up.
post #66 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Sure, depending on size of the TV stand as measured when it is here, I found two shelves on Amazon that look like they could support what I need, while aesthetically pleasing. 36 inches wide x 10 deep and 48 inches wide x 12 deep

I presume the Ultra 12 will be restocked at some point in the next 30 days, however, I am interested in comparable alternatives at $500 or under that would be the next step up.

I don't think the sub will be back in stock since they were on clearance. Thanks for the links.
post #67 of 80 Old 11-27-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not likely. Most people on the AVS subwoofer forum believe the Ultra 12 has been discontinued in favor of the new X-Ref sub series. That's why it was on clearance at that very low price.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #68 of 80 Old 12-07-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Harpo1 and Cel4145, thanks for your replies!

Now that the TV has arrived (just yesterday), I convinced my wife that we can place the center at the top of the media cabinet - so no need to lift the TV up. However, obviously, it will need to be angled downward.

Do you (or anyone else out there) know of a product that would be able to securely hold it thus, be stable, and aesthetically appealing?

To give an idea of what I am thinking, so far I have found these, though not sure how they would look in real life, but they (in the right size) seem to be in the right direction: Or, perhaps going pricier with something like this:
post #69 of 80 Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all who responded. It was a real education.

Also, every time I turned, it looked like my budget had to stretch to get the level of quality I was expecting.

Well, I ended up finding a great deal at Newegg with a special promotion, which was so good it enticed me to double my budget.

I've ordered the following Definitive Technology speakers:

2x Mythos 2 fronts
1x Mythos 3 center (my wife did acquiesce and let me put it on top of cabinet)
1x SuperCube I (should be awesome for the money)

If I ever find as good a deal, I'll pick up a pair of Mythos Gem satellites too.
post #70 of 80 Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:

Thanks to all who responded. It was a real education.

Also, every time I turned, it looked like my budget had to stretch to get the level of quality I was expecting.

Well, I ended up finding a great deal at Newegg with a special promotion, which was so good it enticed me to double my budget.

I've ordered the following Definitive Technology speakers:

2x Mythos 2 fronts
1x Mythos 3 center (my wife did acquiesce and let me put it on top of cabinet)
1x SuperCube I (should be awesome for the money)

If I ever find as good a deal, I'll pick up a pair of Mythos Gem satellites too.

Unless the SC1 was less than $400 it's probably not as awesome for the money as you might want.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #71 of 80 Old 01-06-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Unless the SC1 was less than $400 it's probably not as awesome for the money as you might want.

Agreed.

Unless you compromised on the sub and got the small Supercube because of WAF, you should read this thread on the AVS subwoofer forum from today warning people that the Supercube is not that great a deal.

post #72 of 80 Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Liked: 10
I'll throw in JBL Studio 180 5.0 set that often goes for $500. Watch deal sites such as bensbargain or dealnews etc. I have a pair of Studio 190's , the bigger speakers, and they sound so good I'm getting a pair of 180's for a smaller room. These speakers do stereo imaging like nobody's business, throwing spacious sound stage with great sense of location.
Pioneer FS-51 and BS-41 are my other favorite budget gems. These don't image as well, but still throw big sound stage. They have very smooth and attractive midrange, which is the strongest point about them. A 5.0 set can be had for under $500, and sometimes there are amazing deals too.
post #73 of 80 Old 01-10-2012, 11:47 PM

Wish I would have read this thread earlier, theres a great seller on ebay who sells refurb def tech stuff for a fraction of the price you probably paid. He's very friendly and offers free shipping and has really good feedback, on top of that hes authorized from def tech to sell stuff.

While I love the brand of speakers and own 4 studio monitor 450's (great speakers)I would say you could have done better on the subwoofer decision and saved alot of money as well. While def tech makes great speakers their subs to me just aren't up to par and they are way over priced. I dont mean any of this in a negative way so please dont take it wrong. Let us know when you got everything hooked up and how you are enjoying the sound.

On a side note you should also be fine with sticking the mythos in that entertainment center, I once had mine in an enclosed area and they sounded fine because they are not ported speakers. I think they sound better in an open environment but thats just my picky ears, I'm sure its going to sound fine to you the way you'll have them setup.
post #74 of 80 Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrJr View Post

Wish I would have read this thread earlier, theres a great seller on ebay who sells refurb def tech stuff for a fraction of the price you probably paid.

Thanks...other posters put me onto that seller...had been watching all through November and December for pricing, then this deal hit from Newegg.

After all the thumbs down on the SC I, I thought it was going to suck! Boy, folks really like to be picky based on specs. It sounds just fine and waaay better than what I had before. I wonder how much better the other ones in the price range I paid really can be. Perhaps I need to buy several and take them home to test out to see what my ears tell me.
post #75 of 80 Old 02-04-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

At that sale price of the supercube, for just a little more (cost of shipping), one can buy a 12" driver Rythmik FV12 or Epik Legend. Those subs can put way more volume and will hit with more authority down low with HT than the supercube. But yeah, the supercube at $500 is a much better deal than a majority of the subs in that $500 range. You came out very good

post #76 of 80 Old 02-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleBill View Post

I concur that the left, right and center speakers should match. With your budget and space requirements, the system that may best meet your needs is the HSU Performance 2 package at $550 plus shipping. The center is 5" high which may be too big. Wait until you install your TV, then determine your exact clearance. You can easily raise the TV an inch or two by buying a piece of wood shelving and cutting it to size. It would probably look best if it was the full with of the center section where the TV sits.

HSU is a sponsor of AVS so just click on it at the top of the page.

The center channel for the Energy Take Classic 5.1 ($400) is just 4.1." This will not give you the bass that the HSU will.

Keep in mind that for home theater the center channel is by far the most important speaker. That's where 70% of the sound comes from including all the dialog.

One thing that I've noticed on all these forums is that whenever someone states a budget, the suggestions immediately bust that budget. I don't think you can afford a $300-$400 sub with your $600 budget for a 5.1 system.

Good Luck.

I second Dr. HSU

He has some great product.

The OP seems concerned about size and TV cabinet restraints.

I'd take a look at this

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/performance2.html <--$549

Or if your willing to spend a little more you can't do better "for the money" than Ascend Acoustics.

CBM-170 SE front pr + CMT-340 SE center + HTM-200 SE rear pr with an HSU or Emotiva sub.

We are almost doubling the price here but it's well worth it IMHO.
post #77 of 80 Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, cel4145 and Solid State for your responses.

At this point, the trigger is pulled and had I any buyer's remorse I might be considering a change, but I think I am done for a while.

Only question remains for me and that is...

What is the typical life-cycle for speakers?

I'm not asking about annual model changes, but really about where the technology changes significantly, coupled with the future age/useful life of my current new speakers, that it makes practical sense to start looking again.

By then, I might be in a position to step up the price scale a bit. Also, hopefully, the resale price would not have withered to nil by that time.
post #78 of 80 Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM

You will get tired of there style or size before the speakers will be of no use. Speakers have minimal changes over the years. In fact most quality speakers that were built 30 years ago will sound better than today's models which are small and geared towards loud mids.

I have a 25 year old Yamaha receiver I would not trade for the world. There's just something about the warm sound you get from tubes that digital technology just can not reproduce.
post #79 of 80 Old 02-25-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodscomp View Post

You will get tired of there style or size before the speakers will be of no use. Speakers have minimal changes over the years. In fact most quality speakers that were built 30 years ago will sound better than today's models which are small and geared towards loud mids.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking this was the case, but have not followed audio technology for years. Loud mids - is that to accomodate their use with home theaters maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodscomp View Post

I have a 25 year old Yamaha receiver I would not trade for the world. There's just something about the warm sound you get from tubes that digital technology just can not reproduce.

Cool. Does that apply to the higher end products/product lines, or across the board? I ask because my wife has a Technics receiver from the 80's - it came as part of a bundle of components, cabinet (for housing components), and speakers, so not high end by any means. It is packed away and I never thought of giving it a go for audio, as my current Yamaha AVR covers all the bases for HT and Stereo function.
post #80 of 80 Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 PM

Yes I do believe the inherent nature of small speakers is that you will get better mids and highs as that is what the smaller cones can produce best. However when looking at home theater setups in general that's where most of your voices are anyways so it makes sense and is more aesthetically pleasing to boot to have the small(er) speakers. We make up for there lack of the deep sounds with subs.

The Yamaha might be able to do just want you want it to do. Personally I added a HDMI splitter to my setup and it seems to fill the gap just nicely. The $20 splitter keeps my video signal separate from my receiver and lets it do what it's always done so well, process sound.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page