Goldenear or Klipsch? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 11-21-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
And that's just fine. If people didn't prefer certain designs over another, there would only be one way to build speakers.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 11-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I feel like I might have indirectly started a heated debate over this. Guess I should have thought about it more before I started this thread but I needed some input. LOL

Great thing about this hobby is that we all have different options to choose from when it comes to speakers. Some of us like certain brands, sounds,etc.. compared to others. Turns out I prefer horns over the ribbons..

You did nothing wrong, you just prefer the sound of one speaker over another. I am just saying that there are others making claims that may not be true.
post #33 of 52 Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

If you have the data to back up your claim let's see it. It is well known that ribbons don't get up to reference level without starting to struggle. That is just the nature of the design. I love ribbons, I think they sound wonderful. But at high volume levels they cannot compete with horns. It is up to the purchaser which one he likes the sound of better at all volumes he intends to listen to them at.

Well I will be honest, no I do not have the data on paper to back up my claims, but I have a buddy that has had a Golden Ear setup for a couple of months now and his will hit reference no problem. It was setup and calibrated by our local sound shop. Now granted we haven't pulled out a SPL meeter and tested the exact db's but I would assume that the guys at the local sound shop would have calibrated everything just fine.
post #34 of 52 Old 11-21-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I feel like I might have indirectly started a heated debate over this. Guess I should have thought about it more before I started this thread but I needed some input. LOL

Great thing about this hobby is that we all have different options to choose from when it comes to speakers. Some of us like certain brands, sounds,etc.. compared to others. Turns out I prefer horns over the ribbons..

Aww hey bro you did nothing but stir up a little good debate! Nothing wrong with that at all! I actually prefer to have threads like this where people debate back and forth and try to prove/justify our opinions! Much better then every one saying "Only way to tell is to listen for yourself" ect...Its good to hear what others like and dislike.
post #35 of 52 Old 11-21-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Nope there's just many,many different opinions and egos on forums.Get what sounds best to your ears.I have Klipsch RF-82II,RC-52II,RB-61II and Outlaw LFM-1 EX and it sounds fantastic but that is what my ears liked the most.
post #36 of 52 Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Well I will be honest, no I do not have the data on paper to back up my claims, but I have a buddy that has had a Golden Ear setup for a couple of months now and his will hit reference no problem. It was setup and calibrated by our local sound shop. Now granted we haven't pulled out a SPL meeter and tested the exact db's but I would assume that the guys at the local sound shop would have calibrated everything just fine.

At very close seating distances you probably could pull it off. But further away horns have a distinct advantage in this regard.

post #37 of 52 Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Talked to the sales guy a few minutes ago. Decided to go with the RF-82II's and a RC-64II for now. Probably going to hold off on another sub for a couple of reasons. Sounds like the sub that I was going to get might not be worth the cash and I still need to sell the other two subs I have. My setup won't let me easily place two subs, so I can only go with one sub at a time. The current sub, AXIOM EP350, isn't all that great but will work for now.

I would have loved to have jumped into the RF-83II's or the 7II's but the difference was more than I can really spend right now with the holidays coming up..
post #38 of 52 Old 11-21-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Talked to the sales guy a few minutes ago. Decided to go with the RF-82II's and a RC-64II for now. Probably going to hold off on another sub for a couple of reasons. Sounds like the sub that I was going to get might not be worth the cash and I still need to sell the other two subs I have. My setup won't let me easily place two subs, so I can only go with one sub at a time. The current sub, AXIOM EP350, isn't all that great but will work for now.

I would have loved to have jumped into the RF-83II's or the 7II's but the difference was more than I can really spend right now with the holidays coming up..

Congrates welcome to the club hope you enjoy them as much as I have.
post #39 of 52 Old 11-23-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Had a crazy thought this morning as I started boxing up my GE's. Wonder if the ribbons will play nice with the horns. Eventhough it isn't recommended at all. Keep the Tritons and add a RC-64II...
post #40 of 52 Old 11-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

If you have the data to back up your claim let's see it. It is well known that ribbons don't get up to reference level without starting to struggle. That is just the nature of the design. I love ribbons, I think they sound wonderful. But at high volume levels they cannot compete with horns. It is up to the purchaser which one he likes the sound of better at all volumes he intends to listen to them at.

Ribbons can't play at reference level without distorting? Is this a general blanket statement? The drawback to ribbons is their dispersion characteristics, not their ability to play loud.

Will a similar priced horn tweeter play louder, sure, but to say they can't play at reference levels without distorting is a stretch.

Have you heard of BG Speakers? They make ribbon in wall speaker systems and their speakers can easily hit reference levels.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #41 of 52 Old 11-23-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

...I would have loved to have jumped into the RF-83II's or the 7II's but the difference was more than I can really spend right now with the holidays coming up..

Fwiw, there are is no such thing as an RF-83II (only issued those once) and you may consider keeping an eye open for the original RF-7s for a good price in your local market.

Quote:

Had a crazy thought this morning as I started boxing up my GE's. Wonder if the ribbons will play nice with the horns. Eventhough it isn't recommended at all. Keep the Tritons and add a RC-64II...

I wouldn't think so.
post #42 of 52 Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I see your jumping ship. Congrats on deciding, it's real tuff at times making those expensive decisions. Enjoy your new speakers. The ears want what the ears want. Guess what, no center channel speaker stand for you. Peace out!
post #43 of 52 Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb View Post

Ribbons can't play at reference level without distorting? Is this a general blanket statement? The drawback to ribbons is their dispersion characteristics, not their ability to play loud.

Will a similar priced horn tweeter play louder, sure, but to say they can't play at reference levels without distorting is a stretch.

Have you heard of BG Speakers? They make ribbon in wall speaker systems and their speakers can easily hit reference levels.

I said they can't do it easily. I did not say that they are incapable of reference volumes.

post #44 of 52 Old 06-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Went and compared Klipsch to Goldenear at HiFi Buys in Nashville today. They were in a small room on the end with a lot of equipment, very poor set-up. Found the Goldenears to be veiled at the high-end and very unsatisfying (listened to both the Aons and 50's). I preferred the sound of the Klipsch RC52 and RB61 speakers MUCH more. While they are more forward in the top end, I found them to be more open and satisfying for both music and movies. Interestingly, I found the RC62 center to be noticeably brighter and more colored (cupped hand sounding) than the RC52. I also listened to the RC64-sounded good, similar to the RC52.
I defintely preferred the Klipsch.
post #45 of 52 Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 PM

Liked: 13
I know I'm late to this party but I just saw this thread for the first time and noticed the question about ribbons and horns in the same setup and thought I'd share. I once emailed Sandy Gross (founder of Goldenear) and asked him if he thought his Triton speakers would integrate well with the rest of my speakers which are Polks and he flat out said that he would not recommend it. He could have easily lied to sell me his speakers or even tried to push me into getting rid of everything I had and getting a full Goldenear system but he was honest and said it would never work well. I've since emailed him a couple more times because I've been interested in the Aon 3s for a while and he's always been up front about the pros and cons of his designs. Pretty nice guy.

Off topic but my other main concern was the bass extension of the Aon bookshelf speakers and he wasn't afraid to tell me that based on my taste in music, I probably wouldn't be happy with them but I'm going to audition them anyways just to be sure.
post #46 of 52 Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post

Went and compared Klipsch to Goldenear at HiFi Buys in Nashville today. They were in a small room on the end with a lot of equipment, very poor set-up. Found the Goldenears to be veiled at the high-end and very unsatisfying (listened to both the Aons and 50's). I preferred the sound of the Klipsch RC52 and RB61 speakers MUCH more. While they are more forward in the top end, I found them to be more open and satisfying for both music and movies. Interestingly, I found the RC62 center to be noticeably brighter and more colored (cupped hand sounding) than the RC52. I also listened to the RC64-sounded good, similar to the RC52.

Wow another nashville area av guy. If you would like to hear some heritage series let me know. I'm down in murfreesboro.
post #47 of 52 Old 06-29-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

Flyingfool- I must appologize and retract my statement in reference to the Golderears doing reference. I purchased a new spl meter and went to my buddies house yesterday play with it, and yes, you were correct. What we thought was reference, was indeed not reference. When we turned up the volume high enough to hit reference levels, the Goldenears were distorting, bad. You were right and I was wrong, I will now sit down and enjoy my breakfest of crow!. smile.gif
post #48 of 52 Old 06-29-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Wow another nashville area av guy. If you would like to hear some heritage series let me know. I'm down in murfreesboro.

I would take Brandon up on his offer. The La Scalla's are very nice sounding speakers. They do excellent for HT and music.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #49 of 52 Old 09-09-2012, 09:42 PM

Liked: 10
I was looking to purchase the RF-7 II home theater system (as showin on their website) minus the sub as I currntly have a Rythmic F15 HP Sub (20x19 inch great room which is open to the kitchen- definitely not an ideal home theater room). This is going to absolutely max out my theater budget. My question is, can I power this with my Yamaha RX-A1000 receiver, or would it be best to upgrade my power source? If that's the case, I am going to have to take the next step down to the RF-82 II system. I was thinking about the Goldenear Triton II system, until I read this thread. I am going to stick with my original plan smile.gif Thanks in advance.
post #50 of 52 Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattohio77 View Post

I was looking to purchase the RF-7 II home theater system...My question is, can I power this with my Yamaha RX-A1000 receiver, or would it be best to upgrade my power source? If that's the case, I am going to have to take the next step down to the RF-82 II system. I was thinking about the Goldenear Triton II system, until I read this thread. I am going to stick with my original plan smile.gif Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't step down the to the RF-82s regardless and I don't have direct experience with your Yammi (looked at online specs), but feel it could power the RF-7II/RC-64II in a small to moderate size room, especially if you run them as small and cross them over at 80 Hz. That said, if you decide that you want to play material louder, then be on the lookout for a two channel amp but you may not need one. Fwiw, in my experience the speakers tend to get bright when you start to overdrive them and that would be the clue not to turn it up higher.

{EDIT: Your best bet would be to find a place that has the RF-7ii/RC-64II and audition them with a similar AVR..It won't sound exactly the same as in your room but at least if would give you an idea}
post #51 of 52 Old 09-10-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice! I found a place that has them pretty close to me. I will have to take a listen when I have time. So since I will be using these in a 5.1 set-up, dont I want a 5-channel amp? and is Emotiva the best bang for the buck? What I never understood is how klipsch speakers (unless you go with the p37f or higher) sound so good without a really true midrange driver. I suppose its all in how you cross them over. Im no expert by any means. I bought my 1500 sub simply by reading opinions... many opinions. I didnt go wrong! smile.gif So I appreciate the help.
post #52 of 52 Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I have been discussing this comparison in anothe forum, so I thought I would throw it out here and see what kind of response I would get.
My previous speaker setups have consisted of Axiom speakers for the past 8 years. Most recently I had the M80's and VP-180 for the front three.
A few weeks ago I picked up a pair of the Tritontwos and a SS50C for the center but I am not 100% happy with them after several hours of trying to get them setup.. Not sure if it is my room or if I am used to the sound that I heard from my Axioms..
So I started looking at what other options, if any, I might have. Klipsch is also sold by the same dealer and I might be able to exchange them out..
Here is the setup I am considering:
RF-82II and a RC-64II.
*The price is about the same as my Goldenears. Would love to be able to consider the 7's..but the price is a tad high.
This is 100% for HT. I have an Anthem MRX-500 and Emotiva XPA-3 to drive it.
Any thoughts?

thanks for the thread - I have the same Klipsch setup RF-82II and RC-64II and ever since I read the Sound and Vision review of the Goldenear's - keep visiting and revisiting the idea of switching to the GE's. I also use my setup for home theater movies. I have a smaller room (12x25) and have just begun to acoustically treat my room - so I can't give much help / advice to you - especially since I'm not an audiophile, just someone who keeps getting upgrade-itis. Anyway, thanks for thread - I've subscribed to it- looking forward to more input.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page