Goldenear or Klipsch? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have been discussing this comparison in anothe forum, so I thought I would throw it out here and see what kind of response I would get.

My previous speaker setups have consisted of Axiom speakers for the past 8 years. Most recently I had the M80's and VP-180 for the front three.

A few weeks ago I picked up a pair of the Tritontwos and a SS50C for the center but I am not 100% happy with them after several hours of trying to get them setup.. Not sure if it is my room or if I am used to the sound that I heard from my Axioms..

So I started looking at what other options, if any, I might have. Klipsch is also sold by the same dealer and I might be able to exchange them out..

Here is the setup I am considering:

RF-82II and a RC-64II.

*The price is about the same as my Goldenears. Would love to be able to consider the 7's..but the price is a tad high.

This is 100% for HT. I have an Anthem MRX-500 and Emotiva XPA-3 to drive it.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Golden Ear towers look like good speakers but the center looks awful. If movies are the #1 focus of this system I would go with the Kilpsch as the center looks like it's in a different league.
post #3 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
If you want high SPL go for the Klipsch. If you like the smooth sound of ribbons go for the Golden Ear.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #4 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They do have a pretty weak looking center channel. I will say that it does play bigger than its size, but I still feel it is lacking. Other people disagree with me and that is why I think it could be my room. This is why I am looking at possibly making a change.
post #5 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

If you want high SPL go for the Klipsch. If you like the smooth sound of ribbons go for the Golden Ear.

Wish it was that easy for me to decide...lol

Only way I am going to know for sure is if I demo both and see if I can hear a difference. Hopefully I can get that done this week.
post #6 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh you'll hear a difference all right. The Klipsch, being much more sensitive will get way louder with less power and have a much more in your face type sound. The Goldenears will be more laid back and smooth. Ribbons have a very characteristic sound. To some they sound very smooth and detailed while to others they sound a bit fuzzy and too laid back. It'll be very much a preference thing as both are excellent speakers. They just go about it different ways.

post #7 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

They do have a pretty weak looking center channel. I will say that it does play bigger than its size, but I still feel it is lacking. Other people disagree with me and that is why I think it could be my room. This is why I am looking at possibly making a change.

What is it about the Goldenears that you do not like? Before you start changing out speakers, I would suggest that you try treating your room with some sort of acoustic pannels and bass traps. If the Goldenears sound bad, then I seriously doubt that the Klipsch speakers will sound any better. I have a Definitive Technology system that was designed by the same guy that started the Goldenear brand. I demoed a klipsch rf-83 system powered by a Marantz 7005 and thought my Definitive Technology system sounded much much better.
post #8 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

What is it about the Goldenears that you do not like? Before you start changing out speakers, I would suggest that you try treating your room with some sort of acoustic pannels and bass traps. If the Goldenears sound bad, then I seriously doubt that the Klipsch speakers will sound any better. I have a Definitive Technology system that was designed by the same guy that started the Goldenear brand. I demoed a klipsch rf-83 system powered by a Marantz 7005 and thought my Definitive Technology system sounded much much better.

I am having an issue with the center channel and the placement in my room. It needs to be wall mounted and I don't have that ability nor do I want to do that. So I have been playing around with different configurations without much luck. Based on my old system, it was suggested to me that I might be used to a different sound...

This probably doesn't make much sense the way I am writing it but it does to me..lol
post #9 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey Coach,

First off, don't be a stranger! I'm right down the road (sort of) in Murfreesboro. I don't have the Klipsch you're looking into, but you can get an idea if you're ever down this way.

Second, can you go a little further about how the room is in regards to your center placement? Could you not build or purchase a short stand possibly?
post #10 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Hey Coach,

First off, don't be a stranger! I'm right down the road (sort of) in Murfreesboro. I don't have the Klipsch you're looking into, but you can get an idea if you're ever down this way.

Second, can you go a little further about how the room is in regards to your center placement? Could you not build or purchase a short stand possibly?

I am down that way quite a bit.. family lives in Shelbyville and I work in Nashville sometimes..

Which Klipsch do you have?
post #11 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
^
Don't go to his house or you will step over to the dark side and no way back. Be warned.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #12 of 52 Old 11-15-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Any thoughts?

Coach, Here's my 2 cents...

1. Unfortunately, I'm working in Jacksonville now or you could hear some seriously large Klipsch and that experience would show you how some statements are idiotic (regarding loudness)

Yes, they "will" or "can" play loud, just like a Ferrari might be able to go 200 MPH. However, the Ferrari can ALSO drive down to the grocery store at 25 MPH and carry back a loaf of bread.

Right as I'm typing this, I'm listening to my 109 db/1 watt Klipsch monsters with a dbx BX3 amp powering them (about 100 watts/channel) Biamped, active crossover (100 watts x 4, one for each section of speaker)

Guess what.... it's not blistering loud. What some people fail to comprehend is that just because a Ferrari CAN go 200 MPH, doesn't mean that it HAS to go 200 MPH.

Likewise, just because my speakers CAN blow you out of the room, doesn't mean they are ever taken to that level.

What part of that logic does mean though is, you can usually get a Klipsch speaker to maybe play to a certain loudness with less distortion than another that has a woofer pumping one inch each direction.

(remember, "if it moves, it distorts")

alas...I'm rambling on.

I'm an admitted fan of Klipsch. My comment above isn't so much of me being a Klipsch fan but rather, others displaying the attitude that it's 1,000 db's or nothing with Klipsch.

I can guarantee you that my 109 db monsters will play JUST as softly as someone elses 85 db/watt "audiophile" speakers.

(might even sound better while doing it )

If you're ever near Jacksonville..... gimme a call!

post #13 of 52 Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am down that way quite a bit.. family lives in Shelbyville and I work in Nashville sometimes..

Which Klipsch do you have?

I am full on klipsch heritage and pro line. La scalas for mains and kpt-100's for surrounds and center channel. Let me know if you're over this way and I'll let you come by for a listen. Do you need a receiver too? I have a buddy in nashville selling one.
post #14 of 52 Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Liked: 10
I have not heard the Golden Ear speakers, and I admit Im kind of a Klipsch fanboy. Currently for my front 3 I am running RF-82's and an RC-62. The sound is FANTASTIC! Clarity is great, even though I dont have the 64 the vocals and everything else associated with the center is superb. So I will give my opinion in going with the Klipsch, you will not be dissapointed.... btw the RC-64 is a monster... enjoy it.

Going Deaf.... And Lovin' It
post #15 of 52 Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hopefully on Friday I will be going to demo the 82's, 7's and the RC-64. Still not sure if I will be able to exchange the Goldenears out for them but I need to know if Klipsch sound is something I would like since I haven't heard them in YEARS...
post #16 of 52 Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wanted to update everybody that had made a comment regarding my recent inquiry into the Klipsch family...

Today, I was able to go back to the dealer I purchased the GoldenEar speakers through and spend some time listening to other speakers with the salesperson. He let me use the same scenes I had been using with my GE's and we tried a couple different setups.

First setup was a set of the RF-7II's and a RC-64 paired with a Revel V-120. I had never heard or listened to a Revel sub before, so I had nothing to compare it to. I was in a pretty poorly setup room compared to their other demo rooms. Apparently this room was an afterthought after the company grew so much... Anyways, I could tell right away that the dialog and sound coming from the RC-64 was EXACTLY what I was looking for in a center channel. The scenes that I struggled to listen to with my GE, SHINED with this center. Those 7's are REALLY, REALLY impressive too as far as the overall build and sound the give off. Even the sub did a great job and is something I am considering as well...

In the same area, we then switched to a Def Tech center(8080), Revel and then a B&W setup. Each center was listened with its matching fronts and rears.. None of them compared to incredible soundstage the Klipsch setup gave me. We did go in and take a listen to some higher end B&W setups that sounded pretty good.....but WAY out of my price range.

Then we headed over to another room where I listened to some RF-82II's. I had some lower expectations for the overall build of these since the 7's impressed me so much. These looked and sounded great too! The salesperson explained that these would match up just fine with the RC-64 center channel, something I had guessed would be okay.

Lastly, he did tell me that the RF-83's are still available and that he could get them. A previous post stated they had been discontinued, so I am not sure if they are and perhaps they still have some left in the warehouse?!?

As far as price goes, the 83's were closer to the 7's in price than they were to the 82's. The size of the 82's would be more ideal as well, especially if I upgrade my sub and go with the RC-64's. My current sub is lacking and I could tell it evenmore after listening to some Klipsch subs and the Revel subs. I haven't spent any time at all on subs, but the Revel seemed like a good deal at $599.00... Guess I will need to do some research before deciding on one.

When I got home, I called back to ask a question about something and the salesperson told me his boss would let me return my GE's for FULL credit towards some Klipsch speakers. He was honest and said he might not be able to work with me on pricing all that much since they were taking my speakers back. I just have to decide by tomorrow and then let him know so he can give me some pricing on which set I want. My backup plan was to try and sell my GE's, then shop around for the best price on the Klipsch speakers. Since they are willing to work with me and take these back, I will give them my business. If they discount some off of MSRP, then I will definitely buy a sub from them. If not, I will most likely research subs and see if what else is out there but will still consider the Revel.

Based on MSRP, I can get the RF-82II's and the RC-64's for practically an even exchange. Moving up to the RF-83II's would add about 1500.00 and the 7's would be about 1900.00.

It would be great to have the best right now, but that is a significant price difference. I would be better off going with a good sub and then down the road look into getting some 7's once I have more space...

Tonight I will play around with my GE setup again and see if I can get things to sound better. Then go from there tomorrow..

Any input would be great!

Thanks..
post #17 of 52 Old 11-19-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

And how are the good people at hifi buys? They are really trying to push that revel sub. I'd have a listen to something else before that one, even at $600. Glad you got to hear the klipsch setups. They have a very wide selection to listen to.
post #18 of 52 Old 11-19-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

That is a terrible deal for the RF-83's! My local dealer tried to sell me a pair last week for $1,200, and they were brand new! I am also curious to hear more of how the RF-7ii's with the 64ii compared to the Def Tech bp-8080's and the 8080 center?? If you could give us your thoughts on how those sounded compared to each other, then I would be forever gratefull!
post #19 of 52 Old 11-19-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee View Post

Yes, they "will" or "can" play loud, just like a Ferrari might be able to go 200 MPH. However, the Ferrari can ALSO drive down to the grocery store at 25 MPH and carry back a loaf of bread.

Right as I'm typing this, I'm listening to my 109 db/1 watt Klipsch monsters with a dbx BX3 amp powering them (about 100 watts/channel) Biamped, active crossover (100 watts x 4, one for each section of speaker)

Guess what.... it's not blistering loud. What some people fail to comprehend is that just because a Ferrari CAN go 200 MPH, doesn't mean that it HAS to go 200 MPH.

Likewise, just because my speakers CAN blow you out of the room, doesn't mean they are ever taken to that level.

What part of that logic does mean though is, you can usually get a Klipsch speaker to maybe play to a certain loudness with less distortion than another that has a woofer pumping one inch each direction.

(remember, "if it moves, it distorts")

alas...I'm rambling on.

I'm an admitted fan of Klipsch. My comment above isn't so much of me being a Klipsch fan but rather, others displaying the attitude that it's 1,000 db's or nothing with Klipsch.

I can guarantee you that my 109 db monsters will play JUST as softly as someone elses 85 db/watt "audiophile" speakers.

(might even sound better while doing it )

If you're ever near Jacksonville..... gimme a call!

That is not what I was referring to. My point was, that if he likes to listen at or near reference, the Klipsch will be able to do it effortlessly, whereas the GE will struggle and probably start to compress and distort a bit. If he doesn't care about listening at reference, then he could pull that variable out of his equation.

Klipsch are definitely much better suited for HT than GE's are.

post #20 of 52 Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 145
My apologies for misinterpreting.
post #21 of 52 Old 11-20-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

And how are the good people at hifi buys? They are really trying to push that revel sub. I'd have a listen to something else before that one, even at $600. Glad you got to hear the klipsch setups. They have a very wide selection to listen to.

I have done some research on those subs since I posted it and I am not sure which direction I am going in with my sub yet. Currently I have a sub, but it isn't very good... So, we will see...
post #22 of 52 Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I wanted to update everybody that had made a comment regarding my recent inquiry into the Klipsch family...

Today, I was able to go back to the dealer I purchased the GoldenEar speakers through and spend some time listening to other speakers with the salesperson. He let me use the same scenes I had been using with my GE's and we tried a couple different setups.

First setup was a set of the RF-7II's and a RC-64 paired with a Revel V-120. I had never heard or listened to a Revel sub before, so I had nothing to compare it to. I was in a pretty poorly setup room compared to their other demo rooms. Apparently this room was an afterthought after the company grew so much... Anyways, I could tell right away that the dialog and sound coming from the RC-64 was EXACTLY what I was looking for in a center channel. The scenes that I struggled to listen to with my GE, SHINED with this center. Those 7's are REALLY, REALLY impressive too as far as the overall build and sound the give off. Even the sub did a great job and is something I am considering as well...

In the same area, we then switched to a Def Tech center(8080), Revel and then a B&W setup. Each center was listened with its matching fronts and rears.. None of them compared to incredible soundstage the Klipsch setup gave me. We did go in and take a listen to some higher end B&W setups that sounded pretty good.....but WAY out of my price range.

Then we headed over to another room where I listened to some RF-82II's. I had some lower expectations for the overall build of these since the 7's impressed me so much. These looked and sounded great too! The salesperson explained that these would match up just fine with the RC-64 center channel, something I had guessed would be okay.

Lastly, he did tell me that the RF-83's are still available and that he could get them. A previous post stated they had been discontinued, so I am not sure if they are and perhaps they still have some left in the warehouse?!?

As far as price goes, the 83's were closer to the 7's in price than they were to the 82's. The size of the 82's would be more ideal as well, especially if I upgrade my sub and go with the RC-64's. My current sub is lacking and I could tell it evenmore after listening to some Klipsch subs and the Revel subs. I haven't spent any time at all on subs, but the Revel seemed like a good deal at $599.00... Guess I will need to do some research before deciding on one.

When I got home, I called back to ask a question about something and the salesperson told me his boss would let me return my GE's for FULL credit towards some Klipsch speakers. He was honest and said he might not be able to work with me on pricing all that much since they were taking my speakers back. I just have to decide by tomorrow and then let him know so he can give me some pricing on which set I want. My backup plan was to try and sell my GE's, then shop around for the best price on the Klipsch speakers. Since they are willing to work with me and take these back, I will give them my business. If they discount some off of MSRP, then I will definitely buy a sub from them. If not, I will most likely research subs and see if what else is out there but will still consider the Revel.

Based on MSRP, I can get the RF-82II's and the RC-64's for practically an even exchange. Moving up to the RF-83II's would add about 1500.00 and the 7's would be about 1900.00.

It would be great to have the best right now, but that is a significant price difference. I would be better off going with a good sub and then down the road look into getting some 7's once I have more space...

Tonight I will play around with my GE setup again and see if I can get things to sound better. Then go from there tomorrow..

Any input would be great!

Thanks..

Did you find the midrange lacking at all on klipsch? I had f3's and replaced them with def tech bp7000. With the klipsch, male vocals sounded very thin and not very forward sounding although most female vocals did sound very good.
post #23 of 52 Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I actually preferred the overall sound of the Klipsch compared to the Def Techs they had there. Overall, I thought the midrange did well....at least to my ears.

Also, I haven't heard anything since Friday regarding trading in the GE's...so I am starting to get worried that he might be backing out. That would be really disappointing after really liking the Klipsch speakers.

If they do back out, I will look to sell the GE's and find somewhere else to buy the Klipsch speakers..
post #24 of 52 Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually preferred the overall sound of the Klipsch compared to the Def Techs they had there. Overall, I thought the midrange did well....at least to my ears.

Also, I haven't heard anything since Friday regarding trading in the GE's...so I am starting to get worried that he might be backing out. That would be really disappointing after really liking the Klipsch speakers.

If they do back out, I will look to sell the GE's and find somewhere else to buy the Klipsch speakers..

Dont buy anything until you spend some extensive time listening with your own ears. You don't want to get home with a new set only to find yourself in the same boat.
post #25 of 52 Old 11-20-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

That is not what I was referring to. My point was, that if he likes to listen at or near reference, the Klipsch will be able to do it effortlessly, whereas the GE will struggle and probably start to compress and distort a bit. If he doesn't care about listening at reference, then he could pull that variable out of his equation.

Klipsch are definitely much better suited for HT than GE's are.

You are most certainly wrong! The goldenears will do just fine at reference levels. To say that the Goldears will distort and sound all bad and that the Klipsch is going to sound significatly better is only a guess. Sure the klipsch will be able to get louder before they distort BUT I am sure the Goldears or better yet Def Techs will get as loud as he can possibly stand to sit and listen without having to turn them down. Yes the Klipsch are more sensitive but I don't think he is returning the Goldenears because they are distorting! You act like any speaker that is not as effecient as the Klipsch are going to sound bad. That is totally false!
post #26 of 52 Old 11-20-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dont buy anything until you spend some extensive time listening with your own ears. You don't want to get home with a new set only to find yourself in the same boat.

I want to return the GE's because I feel the Klipsch sound best to my ears for what I use them for....just home theater. Two channel music does nothing for me since I never use my setup for anything but movies and TV watching.

The Klipsch is what I want and I will get them one way or another. If I can't return my current speakers, I will just look to sell them and save towards the Klipsch setup and a new sub..
post #27 of 52 Old 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

You are most certainly wrong! The goldenears will do just fine at reference levels.

Really?

I'd believe just fine some dB below reference level, but pulling reference just fine with any 91 dB sensitivity speakers is unlikely unless they are very close to you. I would think you'd be at the limit of the speaker's output capability and 5 to 10 dB past some amount of compression. Caveat: I have never heard these speakers.

post #28 of 52 Old 11-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't get it it seems you are all judging a speaker you never listened to(an assumption). I listen to the GE in the same room with Klipsch RF-7 and B&W's CM-9 and they are all in the same price range, the sound of the GE I liked the best followed by the B&W's. I played the same music at various db's at volumes that are louder than I would listen and the GE shined. It's all down to what type of sound you like if you like Klipsch than buy them, but don't try to justify your purchase by which one you think will play louder and sound better. My 2 cents.
post #29 of 52 Old 11-21-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are most certainly wrong! The goldenears will do just fine at reference levels. To say that the Goldears will distort and sound all bad and that the Klipsch is going to sound significatly better is only a guess. Sure the klipsch will be able to get louder before they distort BUT I am sure the Goldears or better yet Def Techs will get as loud as he can possibly stand to sit and listen without having to turn them down. Yes the Klipsch are more sensitive but I don't think he is returning the Goldenears because they are distorting! You act like any speaker that is not as effecient as the Klipsch are going to sound bad. That is totally false!

If you have the data to back up your claim let's see it. It is well known that ribbons don't get up to reference level without starting to struggle. That is just the nature of the design. I love ribbons, I think they sound wonderful. But at high volume levels they cannot compete with horns. It is up to the purchaser which one he likes the sound of better at all volumes he intends to listen to them at.

post #30 of 52 Old 11-21-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I feel like I might have indirectly started a heated debate over this. Guess I should have thought about it more before I started this thread but I needed some input. LOL

Great thing about this hobby is that we all have different options to choose from when it comes to speakers. Some of us like certain brands, sounds,etc.. compared to others. Turns out I prefer horns over the ribbons..
Reply Speakers