AudioQuest Vs. Monoprice - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 286 Old 02-19-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
The only Monster cables I bought immediately started coming apart (years and years ago when Monster was fairly new on the scene when I had been sold on the idea of having a "premium" cables (rca type) being a good use of money; later I found no sonic differences and was not happy the connectors came apart in a fairly short time period....went for Radio Shack stuff after that. Have only a little experience with monoprice but aside from the cable I inadvertently tripped over and forced in the wrong direction and bent the connector in the port, that was my fault and just glad the connector gave way; one other cable doesn't fit my ports very firmly and is so heavy it pulls out but that's more about my bad choice in selecting such a heavily jacketed cable....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 286 Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The only Monster cables I bought immediately started coming apart..
Their first generation of electric instrument cables were equipped with Asian 1/4" plugs that weren't 1/4", they were 6.5 millimeter. They'd fit into most 1/4 inch jacks, but not all. More than a few guys struggled to get them to go in, and once in they wouldn't come out. eek.gif
Just as a higher price doesn't mean it will sound any better it also doesn't mean the quality is any better. They'll tell you that, but truthfulness isn't high up on their list of priorities. Profits are, and that means sourcing from the least expensive supplier.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #273 of 286 Old 02-19-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The only Monster cables I bought immediately started coming apart..
Their first generation of electric instrument cables were equipped with Asian 1/4" plugs that weren't 1/4", they were 6.5 millimeter. They'd fit into most 1/4 inch jacks, but not all. More than a few guys struggled to get them to go in, and once in they wouldn't come out. eek.gif
Just as a higher price doesn't mean it will sound any better it also doesn't mean the quality is any better. They'll tell you that, but truthfulness isn't high up on their list of priorities. Profits are, and that means sourcing from the least expensive supplier.

Yep, a few fit very tightly and the screw on cover and "o-rings' would then come apart as you tried to work with 'em....didn't know it was the old metric/English measure in the background but makes a lot of sense!

post #274 of 286 Old 02-19-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

It's not exceedingly rare. I've bought many cables from monoprice and have had many fail on me. The cables themselves are fine. The connectors are crappy. I've had roughly 3 HDMI ends break and a couple of subwoofer RCA ends break. I bought a couple of products from monster back in the 1990's and they still work fine. I'm not advocating buying products from monster over monoprice since even with having to replace a few cables I'm ahead dollar wise. I'm just pointing out that, in general, monster cables are better built. At least that's been my experience.

It's not exceedingly rare.

In general, yes it is. 

I bought a couple of products from monster back in the 1990's and they still work fine.

I only guess this is a slight of hand here on your part going from HDMI cable discussion to analog cables since HDMI wasn't around in the early 90s. I have some cheap no name RCAs from the 70s before Monster Cable was around, and they still work too. This certainly is a poor argument for buying Monster Cable. 

The connectors are crappy. I've had roughly 3 HDMI ends break and a couple of subwoofer RCA ends break.

You are only giving your personal anecdotal experience that wires bought from Monoprice have had bad connectors.  You're not proving that Monster, or similarly priced cables are the only ones that never break, or that other brands similarly priced to Monoprice break more than Monster Cable, or that Monster Cable has a overall build quality to justify their price over all other economy priced cables.  

I'm just pointing out that, in general, monster cables are better built. 

And I'm pointing out that you can find adequate build quality in a cable without the Monster Cable price. If Monoprice failed for you go elsewhere before you go with a premium priced cable.

post #275 of 286 Old 02-19-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Their first generation of electric instrument cables were equipped with Asian 1/4" plugs that weren't 1/4", they were 6.5 millimeter. They'd fit into most 1/4 inch jacks, but not all. More than a few guys struggled to get them to go in, and once in they wouldn't come out. eek.gif .

They would also ruin some of the jacks they did fit into, bending contacts so that only Monster cables would work. I don't think they are smart enough to have done that on purpose, but if they did, I have to admire their malicious ingenuity.
post #276 of 286 Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 168

In general, yes it is. 

It's happened to me several times. I don't know what your definition of extremely rare is, but having something happen many times isn't extremely rare in my book.

I bought a couple of products from monster back in the 1990's and they still work fine.

I only guess this is a slight of hand here on your part going from HDMI cable discussion to analog cables since HDMI wasn't around in the early 90s. I have some cheap no name RCAs from the 70s before Monster Cable was around, and they still work too. This certainly is a poor argument for buying Monster Cable. 

They were toslink and subwoofer cables. I've had monoprice subwoofer cables fail while my older monster hasn't. Not sure how it's not a valid comparison. I never advocated buying monster cables. As a matter of fact I posted that I've come out ahead by buying cables from monoprice.

The connectors are crappy. I've had roughly 3 HDMI ends break and a couple of subwoofer RCA ends break.

You are only giving your personal anecdotal experience that wires bought from Monoprice have had bad connectors.  You're not proving that Monster, or similarly priced cables are the only ones that never break, or that other brands similarly priced to Monoprice break more than Monster Cable, or that Monster Cable has a overall build quality to justify their price over all other economy priced cables.

Of course it's my personal anecdotal evidence. What are you basing your statements on? Proven facts?

And I'm pointing out that you can find adequate build quality in a cable without the Monster Cable price. If Monoprice failed for you go elsewhere before you go with a premium priced cable.

I don't get your beef with what I posted. I never stated that Monster Cables are the only company that makes decent cables. Again, I buy cables from monoprice even though I've had some fail because their price is lower. I'm just pointing out that monoprice isn't a panacea.
post #277 of 286 Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

In general, yes it is. 

It's happened to me several times. I don't know what your definition of extremely rare is, but having something happen many times isn't extremely rare in my book.

They were toslink and subwoofer cables. I've had monoprice subwoofer cables fail while my older monster hasn't. Not sure how it's not a valid comparison. I never advocated buying monster cables. As a matter of fact I posted that I've come out ahead by buying cables from monoprice.

Of course it's my personal anecdotal evidence. What are you basing your statements on? Proven facts?

I don't get your beef with what I posted. I never stated that Monster Cables are the only company that makes decent cables. Again, I buy cables from monoprice even though I've had some fail because their price is lower. I'm just pointing out that monoprice isn't a panacea.

Earlier you said...

The monoprice cables work as well as the others provided they don't fall apart. If you have an HDMI cable snap off inside a port rendering it useless, you may rethink if spending a few extra dollars on monster cables is worth it.

Implying that one avoids economy priced cables for premium priced cables because of your experience with an economy priced cable maker. If I had these poor experiences with Monoprice, I'd go with an economy priced brand which didn't fail as often before I considered Monster Cable.  

Simply stating your personal experience with one economy priced cable maker doesn't provide anyone enough data to make a rather large leap of logic and consider premium priced alternatives. Even providing data that monoprice are the worst cables doesn't mean one should then consider Monster Cables. 

post #278 of 286 Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

Earlier you said...
The monoprice cables work as well as the others provided they don't fall apart. If you have an HDMI cable snap off inside a port rendering it useless, you may rethink if spending a few extra dollars on monster cables is worth it.

Implying that one avoids economy priced cables for premium priced cables because of your experience with an economy priced cable maker. If I had these poor experiences with Monoprice, I'd go with an economy priced brand which didn't fail as often before I considered Monster Cable.  

Simply stating your personal experience with one economy priced cable maker doesn't provide anyone enough data to make a rather large leap of logic and consider premium priced alternatives. Even providing data that monoprice are the worst cables doesn't mean one should then consider Monster Cables. 

Earlier you said...

I've had bad experiences with cables from meritline also. I think their products are pretty much the same as what monoprice sells. I don't think there are any economy priced brands that are different than what monoprice sells.

This is a pointless exercise.

Monoprice cables are inexpensive and I've had some break on me. I've never had a monster cable break on me. Make your own buying decisions. If you want to believe what I stated, fine. If you think I'm making it up, fine. I don't care either way.
post #279 of 286 Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM

Liked: 10
Ah...no.
My old BMW would run on any kind of gas, but was noticably slower and got worse MPG with 87 octane vs. 91-93 octane. The engine was designed for the higher octane and was running at sub-optimal timing with 87. I figured the cost per mile was about even either way.

Nothing to do with cables though. I can't even imagine what physics or electronics would allow my old extension cord to not sound as good as $5000 speaker cables ROFLMAO.
Quote:

Regular gives higher MPG, not less. Higher octane gas is less volatile than lower octane gas. That's to prevent pre-ignition with high compression ratio engines. That was a real issue in the days of mechanical ignition timing, but not with computer controlled electronic ignition timing. High octane gas can be useful with some engines in extreme acceleration scenarios and exotic engines, like a Ferrari, but not with family automobiles.
post #280 of 286 Old 02-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post

Monster Black Platinum HDMI cable to test. This cable is capable of 27Gbps

Why do you need an HDMI with this capability? Trying to get ready for 4K? Your current HDMI cables will do it just fine. 

First things first. The build quality of this Chinese piece of garbage is atrocious. Cheap, plastic, ugly connectors. Molded all crooked.

So you are buying it for looks? Build quality for HDMI is meaningless (unless it's cut in two, or doesn't work at all).

Monster advertises these cables as being active (w/ Redmere) The cables are not active at all.

For an 8' cable? Unless you're doing a 30-40 feet, you have no need for an active HDMI cable. Avoid buying one since if it actually is active, you'd be wasting your money. 

So I'll take that as some sort of false advertisement.

Monster Cable is one big walking false advertisement. 

I must say. Yes, Audioquest cables are incredibly expensive and I was not impressed by their performance, but... Their build quality was flawless

Thats because these premium HDMI cables are just for looks, as we've been trying to tell you. You didn't notice performance gain because there wasn't one.

So how does the Monster perform? It looks slightly better than Audioquest, but is not as good as Monoprice's Redmere. The Monster cable sounds slightly better with more controlled bass than Audioquest, but again, not as good as Redmere.

Now, you're embarrassing yourself. In blind tests no one can tell the difference between the most expensive and cheapest HDMI cables. This is confirmation bias on your part, there's no difference. 

You've also condescended to Chinese manufacturing as if that matters. Everything is made in China. This is a fallacious emotional appeal. 

For further reading. 
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57540275-221/still-more-reasons-why-all-hdmi-cable-are-the-same/
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57592539-221/4k-hdmi-cables-are-nonsense/

Take back the Monster Cable, and don't waste your time writing a 'strongly worded' letter. 

Read this...
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57551588-221/hdmi-cable-buying-guide/

And go from there. 

You do realize that he sells cables right ??? What he is doing is the stunt publicity to advertise the High-end cables without mentioning his own product ???
post #281 of 286 Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Would that be like pushing the genre? Seems we have some visitors here who aim at that....

post #282 of 286 Old 04-20-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Most any dealer will let you borrow a cable you're considering for home demo.

If you find it makes a significant improvement in your system, purchase it.

If you find it makes zero or a negligible improvement, don't.

Simple as that, really.
post #283 of 286 Old 04-21-2014, 12:30 AM

Liked: 12
Not this again!

The same Wolf vs Federal HST
The same 9mm vs .45acp
The same PC vs Mac
The same Timex vs Rolex
The same Ford 427 Cobra vs Ford Fiesta
The same Canvas Converse vs Nike Air Jordan

Ho Hum! If someone wants to spend a lot of money on cables, so what! All those others above work as intended. One is cheaper than the other. Why the *ell would someone spend $300 for a pair of sneakers?!! A fool, that's who! Basically sounds like the cable issue. Do any of you wear jeans? Do you buy the cheap Wally $10 ones or the way over priced same jeans made by Levis for $60? Why would you buy the Levis? They are both cheap jeans! One with a brand name paying for their marketing and name brand logo. But it is just jeans! See how this is.

I was one of those cable people back in the 80's. Spent quite a bit on them back then, but you know what, I still have them, still am using them! But nowadays if I want cable, I shop around. It could be Monoprice, CL, Ebay, the local Hardware store, it doesn't matter. I am looking for the least expensive for a decent product.

I bought a bunch of bulk Kimber Kable interconnect cable with more than 100 Ultraplate connectors, and Silver Solder, I made them anywhere from 3" to about 30'. Had them for home audio and car audio. Rewired inside car amps, rewired turntables, you name it, I put it everywhere. I also bought a bunch of bulk Kimber Kable 4TC and 8TC speaker cable. Same thing, I have rewired inside speakers and car amps. I am running a double run of 8TC to my center channel speaker that is running Kimber 4TC wired inside in my bedroom right now.

I think it has been roughly fifteen years since I have spent any money on speaker cables. don't need to, I still have a bunch. I also have 9 pairs of Audioquest Midnight 3's 10awg, 2 pairs of Audioquest Forest 11awg, 6 pairs of Audioquest Argent + 12 awg speaker cables and 2 pairs of Audioquest Diamond interconnects. All purchased extremely cheap back then.

I was doing the DIY cable thing back then with buying bulk and making custom lengths. With more expensive cable though. smile.gif

I don't think that it really made a big difference in sound but it was fun to get to make the custom lengths and especially for the car audio side.

So, if someone wants to spend their money on snake oil, what's the big deal, it's their money, not yours! If they want to believe the bs, oh well. I still see Monster and Bose are somehow still in business! eek.gif
post #284 of 286 Old 04-21-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBugs View Post

So, if someone wants to spend their money on snake oil, what's the big deal, it's their money, not yours!
True, but if someone is asking advise on whether or not there's any benefit to spending more than what Monoprice charges they're entitled to an honest answer based on engineering fact, not advertising hype and/or the imagined results of those already hoodwinked by the cable crooks. Should they then choose to ignore fact in favor of fantasy that's their choice to make, keeping in mind that every buck they spend on wire is a buck that they won't be able to spend on something useful...like Male Enhancement drugs. rolleyes.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #285 of 286 Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

True, but if someone is asking advise on whether or not there's any benefit to spending more than what Monoprice charges they're entitled to an honest answer based on engineering fact, not advertising hype and/or the imagined results of those already hoodwinked by the cable crooks. Should they then choose to ignore fact in favor of fantasy that's their choice to make, keeping in mind that every buck they spend on wire is a buck that they won't be able to spend on something useful...like Male Enhancement drugs. rolleyes.gif

Well said. The audiophiles think we are trying to convert them away from their audiophilia. The truth is we just want the newcomers to the hobby to have correct information so that they can make better decisions.
post #286 of 286 Old 04-21-2014, 09:18 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Most any dealer will let you borrow a cable you're considering for home demo.

If you find it makes a significant improvement in your system, purchase it.

If you find it makes zero or a negligible improvement, don't.

Simple as that, really.

If you find it makes a significant improvement in your system, do a bias controlled listening test. You have just discovered the strength of your hearing bias. Simple as that, really.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page