AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Speaker Setup for Yamaha RX-A2000 - Please Comment. (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1373786-speaker-setup-yamaha-rx-a2000-please-comment.html)

mickey79 11-18-2011 08:45 AM

Guys,

I'm planning on hitting the Black Friday sales to get speakers for my brand new Yamaha RX-A2000 Receiver. I bought the receiver a few weeks ago when it hit some good discounts but I haven't bought speakers yet.

Eventually I'd like to setup a 7.2 Configuration, but due to budget constraints, I need to go in stages. I'm hoping to setup a 3.1 or 5.1 configuration to begin with.

I'm pretty much frozen on Polk after a lot of research, listening & budgeting.

This is what I have in mind ....

Front Left + Right: Polk RTi12 Floorstanding Speakers
Center: Polk CSi5 Center Channel

Is this a good pairing for the Yamaha RX-A2000? Will these speakers work with the receiver without any problems?

For the Subwoofer, I wanted to spend under $500 ... or $500 max; I'd love to get the HSU VTF-2 MK-4 but after shipping and all it's $639 for the Sub. That is WAY over my budget. Can anyone recommend anything that's somewhat comparable to that for around $500 or under ??

For the Surrounds, depending on if I can score a good deal ... I'll either go with Monitor 40's or 50's or LSi's. But the bulk of my budget is going in the Fronts, Center & Sub.

One more question I have is about Connections. I'm not familiar with all the different connection Types. I know how to take 16 or 14 AWG speaker wire, install Banana Plugs on it and connect Speaker to Receiver. I'm not familiar with Bi-Amps and Pre-Amps and what not. Will I have trouble connecting these speakers to my receiver or will the old-fashioned Wire/Banana Plugs method work?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks Guys!!

Dan Hitchman 11-19-2011 07:42 PM

HSU will probably discount shipping towards next week's holiday push. Watch your sales. It's a good sub.

I'm not going to comment on the Polk's. I'm not a fan, but this is a subjective area. They'll work with that receiver. I'd stick with the RTi line for your surrounds to keep everything sounding the same. Or if you want wall mount surrounds, the matching FXi models.

Go to Monoprice.com and get 12 gauge speaker wire and HDMI cables. They're pretty cheap with good quality. If you're fishing the speaker wire through walls, get the in-wall type.

Really good, bang vs. buck locking banana plugs:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...y_Code=locking

Don't bother bi-wiring or bi-amping your speakers. Too much trouble for so little advantage.

The pre-amp outs on your receiver will primarily be for hooking your subwoofer to the receiver's sub out with a good, shielded subwoofer cable.

If you want more substantial amplifier power, use the pre-amp RCA outputs of the Yamaha to hook your receiver up to a separate power amplifier like an Emotiva, Parasound, Outlaw Audio, etc. That would bypass the internal amps in the receiver. More dynamic sound, less distortion and your speakers will really rock. 250 watts/channel is a good average.

callas01 11-19-2011 08:12 PM

You could look at elemental designs for subwoofers. I compared the VTF-2 MK3 to the A2-300 I had and they were very close to one another, made me happy I saved over $200.

For speakers, I agree with Hitchman, Im not a polk fan, and Id buy and shop for something different. Personally, Id look at the Focals on musicdirect.com or look for the Energy Veritas speakers on Vanns.com, or the PSB Image speakers, you can find PSB at audio advisor and other online sources.

as for speaker wire, look for Knukonceptz 12 gauge wire, you can buy it on ebay, the problem Ive read about monoprice is that the wire is thinner then other 12 gauge wire, as a matter of fact, the KnuKonceptz has 294 strands of wire, were the Monoprice has 65, even if the mono's individual strands are twice as thick, it still isn't the same thinkness.

cel4145 11-19-2011 08:29 PM

There is a chance that the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus and/or LFM-1 EX will be on sale next week, both of which are comparable to the 12" HSUs. In the past, these have been discounted heavily down close to your sub budget. There is information on how to register for their private sale in the Outlaw Owners Thread if you read the last couple of days.

Here's the recent review on the EX.

ObsceneJesster 11-19-2011 09:51 PM

If you want some kick ass banana plugs then I suggest you take Emotiva up on their offer. Stay away from those cheap Ebay knock offs. Emotiva is selling terminator kits for $5 but after the holiday, it will go back up to $10. The kit includes 4 high quality banana plugs, 4 pieces of rubber sleeving to add some protection and make the wire look nice and 2 pieces of black heat syringe wrap that says Emotiva on it. You can use that for securing the banana plug or attaching the rubber tubing to the cable. I know all of this is confusing and you dont need to use all of the extra **** that comes with the plugs. Either way, your getting 4 very nice looking plugs for $5.

mickey79 11-20-2011 08:45 AM

Guys - First of all thanks for responding with all the views & comments - I much appreciate them. I'll have to respond to each one ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

HSU will probably discount shipping towards next week's holiday push. Watch your sales. It's a good sub.

I'm not going to comment on the Polk's. I'm not a fan, but this is a subjective area. They'll work with that receiver. I'd stick with the RTi line for your surrounds to keep everything sounding the same. Or if you want wall mount surrounds, the matching FXi models.

Go to Monoprice.com and get 12 gauge speaker wire and HDMI cables. They're pretty cheap with good quality. If you're fishing the speaker wire through walls, get the in-wall type.

Really good, bang vs. buck locking banana plugs:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...y_Code=locking

Don't bother bi-wiring or bi-amping your speakers. Too much trouble for so little advantage.

The pre-amp outs on your receiver will primarily be for hooking your subwoofer to the receiver's sub out with a good, shielded subwoofer cable.

If you want more substantial amplifier power, use the pre-amp RCA outputs of the Yamaha to hook your receiver up to a separate power amplifier like an Emotiva, Parasound, Outlaw Audio, etc. That would bypass the internal amps in the receiver. More dynamic sound, less distortion and your speakers will really rock. 250 watts/channel is a good average.

Dan ... Yes I'm definitely keep my eyes peeled around Black Friday; trust me - I'll be up like a night owl watching for any movement in final costs. And yes, I do agree with you that choice of speakers is highly subjective. I'm no audiophile by any means, and my untrained ears would probably not know the difference between good & extremely good either. I think for now I'll stick with Polk because I've heard them & like them - for me that suffices.

I'm also considering sticking with RTi for the Surrounds - I may have to buy them at a later date but it makes sense. Thanks again for clarifying the bi-amp, bi-wiring & pre-amp. I'll stick with the regular connections on the back. I'll definitely get the 12 AWG wire from Monoprice and the Closed-Screw Banana Plugs as well. The Sub will connect to the Pre-Amp. I don't think I need additional amp power so I'll stick with the Receiver alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

You could look at elemental designs for subwoofers. I compared the VTF-2 MK3 to the A2-300 I had and they were very close to one another, made me happy I saved over $200.

For speakers, I agree with Hitchman, Im not a polk fan, and Id buy and shop for something different. Personally, Id look at the Focals on musicdirect.com or look for the Energy Veritas speakers on Vanns.com, or the PSB Image speakers, you can find PSB at audio advisor and other online sources.

as for speaker wire, look for Knukonceptz 12 gauge wire, you can buy it on ebay, the problem Ive read about monoprice is that the wire is thinner then other 12 gauge wire, as a matter of fact, the KnuKonceptz has 294 strands of wire, were the Monoprice has 65, even if the mono's individual strands are twice as thick, it still isn't the same thinkness.

I will definitely take a look at the Sub you've suggested - I'm open to ALL Sub suggestions cause the current prices on the HSU's & Outlaw's are breaking the bank!! For speakers although I'll take a look at what you're suggested, I think more then likely I'll be sticking with my choice.

I'll also take a look at the Wire you've recommended -- Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

There is a chance that the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus and/or LFM-1 EX will be on sale next week, both of which are comparable to the 12" HSUs. In the past, these have been discounted heavily down close to your sub budget. There is information on how to register for their private sale in the Outlaw Owners Thread if you read the last couple of days.

ABSOLUTELY ... I have my eyes peeled on to those Outlaw's. They are undoubtedly my first choice in Sub's, but for their cost!! If there's any drop around Black Friday that can fit them in my wallet - I'm game. And man - thanks for that link, I'm totally there - registering as we speak!!! THANKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

If you want some kick ass banana plugs then I suggest you take Emotiva up on their offer. Stay away from those cheap Ebay knock offs. Emotiva is selling terminator kits for $5 but after the holiday, it will go back up to $10. The kit includes 4 high quality banana plugs, 4 pieces of rubber sleeving to add some protection and make the wire look nice and 2 pieces of black heat syringe wrap that says Emotiva on it. You can use that for securing the banana plug or attaching the rubber tubing to the cable. I know all of this is confusing and you dont need to use all of the extra **** that comes with the plugs. Either way, your getting 4 very nice looking plugs for $5.

I got some pretty decent closed-screw type from Monoprice in the past but I'll definitely take a look at your suggestions.

THANKS again guys.

mickey79 11-20-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Hey -- thanks -- I found the link & registered. Hoping this would resolve my Sub woes.

Dan Hitchman 11-21-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

Hey -- thanks -- I found the link & registered. Hoping this would resolve my Sub woes.

Outlaw or HSU... they're practically the same subs. They should be since HSU makes Outlaw's subs for them.