Does anyone have info on the Acoustic Research AR2C Center? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had been looking to upgrade from my Polk CSi25 center to better match my Paradigm Phantom V2's and PDR-12. My friend said that he had an Acoustic Research AR2C center sitting in storage for many years(due to his not having any room for it). He gave me the speaker for free and it is in prisitne condition. I have intergrated it into my HT, ran Audyssey on my Onlyo Sr608. The speaker was set at 40hz by Audyssey. Now I see that the speaker has two toggle switches on the back(which I left at 0). Are these switches for level control? I have looked online and have found some reviews and so on, but no manual or real info this center. Do any of you guys have info(maye a manual) on this speaker or own\\owned it? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Owner's Manual that came with my AR1's (AR3,5 mentioned too), but it only shows the specs for your center's mid and high speakers and its back panel controls. Don't know if a copy of it would be helpful, but will send if desired.

If you or anyone reading this comes across an AR2C in good condition and for sale I need one to complete my all AR home theater.
post #3 of 35 Old 12-12-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hi ShyAnn,

I would appreciate the info if you can send it. I found mention of the sopeaker here and there on the net, but there is not much info available out there. I really like the speaker so far, Audyssey set it at 40hz and I was wondering if that was ok. I realize it can handle lows, but was wondering if my Onkyo receiver set it incorrectly.

post #4 of 35 Old 12-12-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 413
If you've got a subwoofer, bump the center crossover to 60hz or 80hz. Your sub should be able to handle lower frequencies better than the center speaker.

Afro GT
post #5 of 35 Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

If you've got a subwoofer, bump the center crossover to 60hz or 80hz. Your sub should be able to handle lower frequencies better than the center speaker.

That is what I was thinking, also. I have my two Paradigm Phantom v2s at 80hz, so I may as well set the center at 80hz also. It is just that because of the way the center is built, it threw me off.

post #6 of 35 Old 01-10-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I own this center chanel with the entire Hi-Res line, I have the phase switch set to '0' and have all of my speakers XO @ 60hz. I think I have the owner manuel but i will have to look thru all my gear docs to find it, but here are the specs.

Dimensions (HxWxD): 8 5/8"" x 19" x 12"
Driver complement: Plasma Transferred Diamond Hardened 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter
Dual 5 1/4" MagAlloy Monocoque Mid-Range
6 1/4" High Excursion Woofer

All transducers are Magnetically Shielded

Frequency response: 45Hz-23KHz ±2dB
Crossover frequency: 120Hz and 3.2KHz
Sensitivity: 94dB @ 2.83 Volts/Meter
System impedance: 8 Ohms Nominal
Recommended amp. power: 20 Watts~250 Watts

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #7 of 35 Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence View Post

I own this center chanel with the entire Hi-Res line, I have the phase switch set to '0' and have all of my speakers XO @ 60hz. I think I have the owner manuel but i will have to look thru all my gear docs to find it, but here are the specs.

Dimensions (HxWxD): 8 5/8"" x 19" x 12"
Driver complement: Plasma Transferred Diamond Hardened 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter
Dual 5 1/4" MagAlloy Monocoque Mid-Range
6 1/4" High Excursion Woofer

All transducers are Magnetically Shielded

Frequency response: 45Hz-23KHz ±2dB
Crossover frequency: 120Hz and 3.2KHz
Sensitivity: 94dB @ 2.83 Volts/Meter
System impedance: 8 Ohms Nominal
Recommended amp. power: 20 Watts~250 Watts

Hi Terence,

Thanks for the info. If you could find the manual that would be great. I have looked everwhere on google and have not been able to find much info on it. The sound port(I don't know the technical term) on the back of the was loose and I was able to pull it back out(it had fallen in). The speaker had been used for one year by a friend and had been left in storage for something like over 9 years. Anyway, I really like the sound of the speaker.

post #8 of 35 Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post

Hi Terence,

Thanks for the info. If you could find the manual that would be great. I have looked everwhere on google and have not been able to find much info on it. The sound port(I don't know the technical term) on the back of the was loose and I was able to pull it back out(it had fallen in). The speaker had been used for one year by a friend and had been left in storage for something like over 9 years. Anyway, I really like the sound of the speaker.

red71rum;21475415,

Sorry I looked for the manual last night and could not find it.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #9 of 35 Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

red71rum;21475415,

Sorry I looked for the manual last night and could not find it.

No problem, thanks for looking.

post #10 of 35 Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a this center too... lost the instructions long ago though...
it is a crappy center... I just blew another mid driver...
anyone know where to get replacement drivers and foamy front from?

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #11 of 35 Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

I have a this center too... lost the instructions long ago though...
it is a crappy center... I just blew another mid driver...
anyone know where to get replacement drivers and foamy front from?

Well fist I have to strongly disagree that the AR2C is a "crappy" center, IMO it is one the best I have heard when driven with clean pwr.

Also the center sensitivity is pretty high so it does not need a lot of juice to play loud & clean. I don't see how you blew the mid drivers unless you have your receiver/Pre/Pro speaker settings set to large. That my friend will blow your drivers b/c the center is not a full range speaker, you need to set the center to small, set the XO to 60hz and let the sub do the heavy lifting.

You can buy replacement drivers here: http://abtechservices.com/arspeakers.html

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #12 of 35 Old 04-05-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well fist I have to strongly disagree that the AR2C is a "crappy" center, IMO it is one the best I have heard when driven with clean pwr.

well, I am only driving it with 200W(? maybe its 400W, but I thought it was only 200W, who knows?) from a sunfire signature series amp... seems clean enough anyway...

FWIW, I do agree that it is one of the best center's, or at least it was in its day, when all the drivers are working like they should...
I have no clue how it stacks up against any current speaker though...
whats AR been up to anyway? what is their replacement for the hi-res line? I have had this setup for like 10-15 years or so, and they still sound great (except the center)... just wondering what their new and improved AR speakers sound like?

Quote:

Also the center sensitivity is pretty high so it does not need a lot of juice to play loud & clean. I don't see how you blew the mid drivers unless you have your receiver/Pre/Pro speaker settings set to large. That my friend will blow your drivers b/c the center is not a full range speaker, you need to set the center to small, set the XO to 60hz and let the sub do the heavy lifting.

pretty sure I have the xover set to 60... maybe even 80 or 120... not sure really... haven't touched that in like 10 years or so...

Quote:

You can buy replacement drivers here: http://abtechservices.com/arspeakers.html

FWIW, My Setup:
center: AR2C
front L&R: AR1
side L&R: AR3
rear L&R: HO? something like that,fairly large bookshelf's with similar drivers to the Hi-Res line...
Subs L&R:Rythmic 15" servo's..

pre/pro: LEx MC12
Amp1: Sunfire Signature 2ch (600W?)
Amp2: Sunfire Cinema Signature 5 channel (200W?)

anyway, it may all be really old stuff, but when it all works, I really like the sound it puts out....
although it does kinda look a bit like Stonehenge... (Speakerhenge?)

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #13 of 35 Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyAnn View Post

I have the Owner's Manual that came with my AR1's (AR3,5 mentioned too), but it only shows the specs for your center's mid and high speakers and its back panel controls. Don't know if a copy of it would be helpful, but will send if desired.

If you or anyone reading this comes across an AR2C in good condition and for sale I need one to complete my all AR home theater.

While doing research for the AR2c I was going to put on ebay I found this post.
Have one that I would like to sell. Great condition!
post #14 of 35 Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM

If you're still looking for info on the AR2C, I have the Owner's Manual. In fact I also have the older model HO (High Output) series manual if you need any info about that line.

The Specs. in my manual are similar to what Terence posted except the lower Crossover frequency which is 300Hz (instead of 120Hz) and the woofer size which is 6 1/2" (instead of 6 1/4")...maybe I have a different version. My AR2C speaker would be at least 10 years old.

Here's the blurb about the switches on the back:
"On the back of the AR2C are two switches, one for Mid Frequencies and one for High Frequencies. This Voice Matching Equalization Circuit enables the AR2C centre channel speaker to be timbre matched to other speakers in the system or to compensate for frequency anomalies caused by the room environment. This type of frequency compensation is especially critical in multi-channel systems to ensure a seamless soundstage across the from channel.

Initially, each switch is set to flat ("0") which is the recommended factory setting. By moving either switch to the -1.5 setting, those frequencies will be attenuated or rolled-off. Fell free to experiment with each setting to determine the best switch position for your system and room acoustics."

I noticed Outlaw has a similar switch (among other switches) on their LCR speaker: [I don't have enough posts to specify the URL but look for the LCR under products/speakers and subwoofers on the outlawaudio website] You might find more detailed information on their forums on how people are using it.

Other that that the manual mostly describes how to care for your speakers finish, how to hook up speaker wire for bi-wiring or bi-amping and how to place them. PM me if you like and I can scan it in and send you the PDF, it's only about 6 pages for each language.

I have a pair of AR 310HO for fronts, the AR2C centre and a pair of AR 206HO speakers for surround. I have the switches set to flat and it sounds great to me BTW, anyone have thoughts on a decent $1000ish or less AVR with hi-res audio/room correction/hdmi for this setup? I'm still running a non-hdmi receiver so am getting the itch to upgrade. Was leaning towards the Anthem MRX-300.

Thanks,
Crispy
post #15 of 35 Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispAndClean View Post

If you're still looking for info on the AR2C, I have the Owner's Manual. In fact I also have the older model HO (High Output) series manual if you need any info about that line.

The Specs. in my manual are similar to what Terence posted except the lower Crossover frequency which is 300Hz (instead of 120Hz) and the woofer size which is 6 1/2" (instead of 6 1/4")...maybe I have a different version. My AR2C speaker would be at least 10 years old.

"On the back of the AR2C are two switches, one for Mid Frequencies and one for High Frequencies. This Voice Matching Equalization Circuit enables the AR2C centre channel speaker to be timbre matched to other speakers in the system or to compensate for frequency anomalies caused by the room environment. This type of frequency compensation is especially critical in multi-channel systems to ensure a seamless soundstage across the from channel.

Initially, each switch is set to flat ("0") which is the recommended factory setting. By moving either switch to the -1.5 setting, those frequencies will be attenuated or rolled-off. Fell free to experiment with each setting to determine the best switch position for your system and room acoustics."

I noticed Outlaw has a similar switch (among other switches) on their LCR speaker: [I don't have enough posts to specify the URL but look for the LCR under products/speakers and subwoofers on the outlawaudio website] You might find more detailed information on their forums on how people are using it.

Other that that the manual mostly describes how to care for your speakers finish, how to hook up speaker wire for bi-wiring or bi-amping and how to place them. PM me if you like and I can scan it in and send you the PDF, it's only about 6 pages for each language.

I have a pair of AR 310HO for fronts, the AR2C centre and a pair of AR 206HO speakers for surround. I have the switches set to flat and it sounds great to me BTW, anyone have thoughts on a decent $1000ish or less AVR with hi-res audio/room correction/hdmi for this setup? I'm still running a non-hdmi receiver so am getting the itch to upgrade. Was leaning towards the Anthem MRX-300.

Thanks,
Crispy

Thx for the info Crispnclean!

I would look into Onkyo TX-NR809, it has everything you are looking for but I'm a seperates guy and if you go that route look at the Integra DHC-40.2 or the DHC-80.3 Pre/Pro.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #16 of 35 Old 05-11-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:

whats AR been up to anyway? what is their replacement for the hi-res line? I have had this setup for like 10-15 years or so, and they still sound great (except the center)... just wondering what their new and improved AR speakers sound like?

Somewhatlost,

You're not going to like this...they were bought by audiovox a few years back. As far as AR speakers, all I see is line of outdoor wireless ones ....
http://acoustic-research.com/

Here's the audiovox parent web-site...hmmm, I didn't know they owned Jensen and Klipsh as well.
http://voxxintl.com/

CrispNClean.
post #17 of 35 Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're not going to like this...they were bought by audiovox a few years back. As far as AR speakers, all I see is line of outdoor wireless ones ....
http://acoustic-research.com/

I would like to take this moment to say ewww....
bummer... AR had some nice stuff...

post #18 of 35 Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would like to take this moment to say ewww....
bummer... AR had some nice stuff...

Yeah that what can happens when another company takes over and just want the name to push crapy, cheap products.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #19 of 35 Old 05-18-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks,
Crispy

Thanks for the info, look for a pm from me.

post #20 of 35 Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Crispy,

I sent you a PM.

post #21 of 35 Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM

Red71Rum,

Just scanned and sent it to you...I seem to have lost all my old messages with this new system so I just attached it to the PM rather than email, let me know if you don't get the PDF. Hmmm...actually it looks like I can just attach it to this message...I'll give that a shot as well. AR HI-RES Series Manual.pdf 2320k .pdf file

CrispNClean
post #22 of 35 Old 10-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Walldude:

Can't believe that I walked away from this discussion and just found out that you "had" an AR2C for sale. Any chance you still have it.
Thanking you in advance for the courtesy of a response,
ShyAnn
post #23 of 35 Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 PM

Hello, I just found this thread after searching for information on my AR2C and my other Acoustic Research speakers. I was about to put my AR2C on ebay but just wanted to throw this offer here to anyone who may be interested.
post #24 of 35 Old 10-25-2012, 05:11 PM

PM sent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyllama View Post

Hello, I just found this thread after searching for information on my AR2C and my other Acoustic Research speakers. I was about to put my AR2C on ebay but just wanted to throw this offer here to anyone who may be interested.
post #25 of 35 Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 AM

You must be mistaken. I have owned two of the lower priced Acoustic Research Center channel speakers, as well as currently both the RC4 and the RC2 in my Marantz SR8200 6.1 setup.
All of them have rubber surrounds, not foam.
Also, the RC4 and even more so, the RC2 are two of the finest center channel speakers at any price.
post #26 of 35 Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM

The two switches on the RC2 are simply level switches, one for the Titanium-Diamond plasma deposited tweeter, and one for the two Mag-alloy 5.25" Mids.
This is done to help balance them against the slot loaded 6.5" subwoofer.
In the plus position, they adjust the level up about 3db.
They are, at 92 db, approximately 3 db more efficient than the AR Holographic speakers I have in the rest of my system.
post #27 of 35 Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have TWO AR2C center channel speakers in MInt like new condition, with original box and manual. 1200.00 for both.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
post #28 of 35 Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

I have TWO AR2C center channel speakers in MInt like new condition, with original box and manual. 1200.00 for both.

I am glad I got mine for free. It is a great center though.

post #29 of 35 Old 01-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post

I am glad I got mine for free. It is a great center though.

Reminds me of a lot of reel to reel tape reels i purchased for 230.00. I resold all of them in two weeks for 2000.00, and then found Klipsch RF 5 speakers on sale for 750.00 A PAIR.
So i bought TWO pair, paid 1500.00 for four klipsch RF 5 speakers, another 200 for shipping, and some tax. Worked out I got all the Klipsch speakers for free...... All i had to do is recieve a package and reship 40 more on a two block trip to the post office.

Hows that for FREE. LOL, you bragger:))))

They are an impressive center, I remember buying these first and hoping to get a couple pair of the top of the line AR1 hi res series later, but they went belly up in the buyout. Ended up going the klipsch route for mains. I have even cranked them up using as a main speaker just to test them when they arrived and they were just fantastic. The nice thing about it is the downfiring woofer with ported enclosure, along with the two midrange and single tweeter. It is actually a three way center channel.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/131217-for-my-acoustic-research-homies-and-you-other-guys-some-pics/

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
post #30 of 35 Old 01-14-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo245ls View Post

The two switches on the RC2 are simply level switches, one for the Titanium-Diamond plasma deposited tweeter, and one for the two Mag-alloy 5.25" Mids.
This is done to help balance them against the slot loaded 6.5" subwoofer.
In the plus position, they adjust the level up about 3db.
They are, at 92 db, approximately 3 db more efficient than the AR Holographic speakers I have in the rest of my system.

I was looking through the manual today and the switches are for -1.5 or 0 for both switches. Would the 0 be the plus position?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

Reminds me of a lot of reel to reel tape reels i purchased for 230.00. I resold all of them in two weeks for 2000.00, and then found Klipsch RF 5 speakers on sale for 750.00 A PAIR.
So i bought TWO pair, paid 1500.00 for four klipsch RF 5 speakers, another 200 for shipping, and some tax. Worked out I got all the Klipsch speakers for free...... All i had to do is recieve a package and reship 40 more on a two block trip to the post office.

Hows that for FREE. LOL, you bragger:))))

They are an impressive center, I remember buying these first and hoping to get a couple pair of the top of the line AR1 hi res series later, but they went belly up in the buyout. Ended up going the klipsch route for mains. I have even cranked them up using as a main speaker just to test them when they arrived and they were just fantastic. The nice thing about it is the downfiring woofer with ported enclosure, along with the two midrange and single tweeter. It is actually a three way center channel.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/131217-for-my-acoustic-research-homies-and-you-other-guys-some-pics/

When using the center what did set the crossover for your receiver? It is different because it has that High Excursion Woofer, meaning it probably can handle lower frequencies than my old Polk CS1 that I used to have.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page