New member, help please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, I just purchased two Polk Monitor 70s and a Pioneer VSX-1021-K.
The sub is a BIC PL-200.

I only have one real question, and that is how to go about wiring the Monitor 70s to the receiver. Ironically, the user manual gives pretty clear instructions about how to do this, but there is no indication made about what kind of wire to use. I went to Walmart and bought 75 feet of speaker wire. The back of the Monitor 70s seem to use coaxial cables, however, which doesn't seem to work with the receiver. As you guys can see, I'm very new to this and very confused.
I'm fairly confident that the sub is already properly connected to the receiver with a simple digital audio coax cable.

For the record, I'd like to wire this as a 2.1 setup with the Monitor 70s bi-amped, which I could probably use some help with as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCH View Post

Hello everyone, I just purchased two Polk Monitor 70s and a Pioneer VSX-1021-K.
The sub is a BIC PL-200.

I only have one real question, and that is how to go about wiring the Monitor 70s to the receiver. Ironically, the user manual gives pretty clear instructions about how to do this, but there is no indication made about what kind of wire to use. I went to Walmart and bought 75 feet of speaker wire. The back of the Monitor 70s seem to use coaxial cables, however, which doesn't seem to work with the receiver. As you guys can see, I'm very new to this and very confused.
I'm fairly confident that the sub is already properly connected to the receiver with a simple digital audio coax cable.

For the record, I'd like to wire this as a 2.1 setup with the Monitor 70s bi-amped, which I could probably use some help with as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jeremy, I can't find a pic of the rear of Monitor 70s...but it would be almost unheard of, in my experience at least...for a speaker to connect using "coax" cable. What makes you think so? You should have red and black terminals, and you should be able to loosen the binding-post nut by turning it; that's how you'd connect the speaker wire you bought.

If you find that's not the case, can you take a pic?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 272
The Polk Monitor 70 uses 5-way binding posts.
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...ent/monitor70/
The speaker wire should be attached to the binding posts. Try unscrewing the outer sleeve. You should see a hole in the inner post. Push the speaker wire into the hole and tighten the outer sleeve. Be sure to connect the red to red and black to black.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #4 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 348
There is a picture of the Monitor 70 on Newegg. You can clearly see the back of the speakers and can even zoom in on it. They have two sets of speaker terminals and can handle bare wire with no problem. They definitely do not take coax cable.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290208

I think it is a waste of time to bi amp your speakers but if you want to experiment and learn for yourself, you should try it. Maybe it will sound better to you.

Afro GT
post #5 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay guys, I ended up having a few drinks with my cousins over our break from college. Anyway, I'm still confused how to wire the speaker and receiver with bare wire (which I realize should be incredibly simple). Is there any guide or FAQ on how to do this properly? I do have bare wire here and I've already cut it into sections with the proper length.

Thank you all once more for the assistance.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
each of the binding posts on the back of the speakers and receiver should have a hole in them that you can pass the bare wire thru. You will have to twist the binding post red or plastic piece up a little until you see the hole, slip the wire in and tighten down the plastic nut to hold the wire in place.

Likewise you can get banana plugs or Spades from somewhere like monoprice to make the connections simpler. With banana plugs you simply push the ends into the holes on the top of the banana plugs.

Remember that if you do bi-wire, you HAVE TO take the little brass piece thats connecting the binding posts together out. If you don't remove that brass piece, you could damage the spekaers.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #7 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCH View Post

Sorry for the delay guys, I ended up having a few drinks with my cousins over our break from college. Anyway, I'm still confused how to wire the speaker and receiver with bare wire (which I realize should be incredibly simple). Is there any guide or FAQ on how to do this properly? I do have bare wire here and I've already cut it into sections with the proper length.

Thank you all once more for the assistance.

Watch this video:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/vid...a_speaker.html

The process is the same for the receiver. Unscrew the terminal cap, insert wire into the hole, and then screw the terminal cap back down.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks much guys! I especially found the video helpful, by the way.

I'm slightly intoxicated at the moment unfortunately, but I'll try my best to set this system up. In any case, thanks again for the help
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page