JBL LS vs Polk Audio LSi M - Need Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-28-2011, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

I will be replacing my Paradigm Studio 20 and CC-690 combination with either JBL LS40+LS Center or Polk Audio LSiM703+706c combo.

The speakers will be driven by Yamaha RX-V3900 as pre/pro and Parasound HCA-1200 MKII as power amp.

This will be my set-up for both Home theater and audio.

Mainly I listen to mellow and classical sounds.

Need your suggestions guys as this speakers are order basis here where I live. No demo units so there's no chance in auditioning them

Thanks so much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-30-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie_18 View Post

Guys,

I will be replacing my Paradigm Studio 20 and CC-690 combination with either JBL LS40+LS Center or Polk Audio LSiM703+706c combo.

The speakers will be driven by Yamaha RX-V3900 as pre/pro and Parasound HCA-1200 MKII as power amp.

This will be my set-up for both Home theater and audio.

Mainly I listen to mellow and classical sounds.

Need your suggestions guys as this speakers are order basis here where I live. No demo units so there's no chance in auditioning them

Thanks so much!!!

UP. Thanks again
post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Why are you getting rid of the Paradigm Studios? Is there anything you don't like about them? That would be helpful in choosing your new speakers...

The LSIM and LS look like very different speakers on the face of it. Ring radiator tweeter vs compression drivers...
post #4 of 8 Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Can you also tell us a little about your room?

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #5 of 8 Old 12-01-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 View Post

Why are you getting rid of the Paradigm Studios? Is there anything you don't like about them? That would be helpful in choosing your new speakers...

The LSIM and LS look like very different speakers on the face of it. Ring radiator tweeter vs compression drivers...

The Studio 20 is somewhat forward and bright for my taste and I have difficulty driving the CC-690

Looking for a set up that is a little warm to neutral in character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Can you also tell us a little about your room?

Room is around 18sqm.

Thanks guys
post #6 of 8 Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 AM

I've always found JBL'S a bit forwad & bright with receivers. I own the LSIM703 and it is an impressive speaker, closer to neutral. They can play loud without strain. I've had NHT,EPOS & PSB and these bring out nuances I've missed in the others.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-11-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My review for Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity of a complete LSiM system should be up soon, but to be brief I don't think the 703s are going to give you a "warm" sound. They are a very neutral sounding speaker. You can influence them with richer/warmer sounding components, but they don't have a definitive signature of their own. Frankly, I think they are an incredible value for the money. I've been using the 703s in place of my Paradigm Studio 20 V3s in a 2-channel setup and haven't been missing the Studios much (though I still love the old girls). The 703s have a slightly flatter frequency response. The Paradigms have a bit of a mid-bass bump that gives them subjectively more bass impact. Hence it sounds like the Paradigms go deeper in my room, but they really don't. The Paradigms are a bit more sensitive, so that could be important depending upon your amplification. Mid-range/treble detail is superior on the 703s.

What are you using for source components/amplification?

I agree with 60strat's comments on JBLs in general. Defintely bright and a bit more forward from my experience.

Have you considered the Dynaudio X16? Excellent speaker in a similar price class to the Polk. What about something from Sonus faber or Vienna Acoustics? They will give you a slightly richer presentation without sacrificing detail.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM

Liked: 18
Care to give us a preview?

Don't follow me, I'm lost too -Unknown
SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page