Speaker Help for Noob - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, just recently bought a house and have been getting Home Theater equipment as I have the funds available. I currently have this in my setup

TV - LG 55lw5600
Front - Polk Monitor 70's
Center - Polk CS2
Receiver - Pioneer VSX-1021k

I am thinking about
Sub - Bic F-12 or Pl200 (Any other suggestions?? Max around 250)
Rears - No Idea other than they probably need to be mounted high on the rear wall. (Max budget for 2 is around 200-300)

Should I worry about matching the Rear with the rest?

I am by no means an Audiophile and need top of the line stuff. This stuff is for the family room and it is not the optimum place for a Home Theater but want a decent setup for movie and game play. I have attached a picture of the room with the current speaker placement. The TV is located over a dual gas fireplace (not used at all really) and the entire area is pretty open.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
for a 5.1 setup, the surrounds are more like "sides", but they would be extremely close on the "L" couch side, and possibly very distracting that close to your ears.

The surrounds do not need to match the front three, but Polk Monitor30 bookshelf speakers are always a possibility (good pricing from www.newegg.com).

a good 3.1 setup may work just as well.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

for a 5.1 setup, the surrounds are more like "sides", but they would be extremely close on the "L" couch side, and possibly very distracting that close to your ears.

The surrounds do not need to match the front three, but Polk Monitor30 bookshelf speakers are always a possibility

a good 3.1 setup may work just as well.

I was thinking about butting dipoles up high on each side of the window in the back. Would that be better that putting bookshelf speakers on the sides high on the wall?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
you might consider bi-pole speakers, but they are not a magic cure-all for close spacing.

If the speakers are high, then they need to be aimed towards the listener....still a closeness issue, but sometimes just turning the gain down will make the compromise work out.