computer surround sound setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-03-2011, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 5.1 surround sound setup. It works fine when i use it with my tv, radio, dvd player, and laptop. When I hook up my desktop instead of my laptop only the center speaker and the two right speakers play and the left speakers just make a small static noise. When my laptop is connected all 5 speakers play fine, but I would prefer to have it setup through my desktop. My laptop has windows vista. My desktop has windows xp. On my desktop I went into control panel/sound speach and audio devices/change speaker settings. Then went to the advanced menu for speakers settings where there is an option to choose which type of speaker setup you have. I changed it to 5.1 surround sound speakers but nothing changes. No matter which setting I change it to nothing different happens. Any suggestions on what else I should try? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-03-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbacheck View Post

I have a 5.1 surround sound setup. It works fine when i use it with my tv, radio, dvd player, and laptop. When I hook up my desktop instead of my laptop only the center speaker and the two right speakers play and the left speakers just make a small static noise. When my laptop is connected all 5 speakers play fine, but I would prefer to have it setup through my desktop. My laptop has windows vista. My desktop has windows xp. On my desktop I went into control panel/sound speach and audio devices/change speaker settings. Then went to the advanced menu for speakers settings where there is an option to choose which type of speaker setup you have. I changed it to 5.1 surround sound speakers but nothing changes. No matter which setting I change it to nothing different happens. Any suggestions on what else I should try? Thanks for the help.

How do you have your sound system set up/ connected to your computer? ...what type of cable?

Espo77
post #3 of 17 Old 12-03-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

How do you have your sound system set up/ connected to your computer? ...what type of cable?

I have basic composite rca cables from my receiver going into a converter, which then connects into the headphone jack of my computer.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbacheck View Post

I have basic composite rca cables from my receiver going into a converter, which then connects into the headphone jack of my computer.

"converter" why a converter? what is it?

why wouldn't you just come from mini headphone jack out of the computer to an rca jack input on the receiver?

Espo77
post #5 of 17 Old 12-03-2011, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

"converter" why a converter? what is it?

why wouldn't you just come from mini headphone jack out of the computer to an rca jack input on the receiver?

Same idea really. This is just what I had here to use. Remember it works fine for my laptop so it is not the way I have it wired that is the problem.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Yeah, but to echo Espo77, what is the converter? What does that do?

In the meantime, get a mini plug to RCA and use the headphone jack from your computer. Or, if your desktop computer has optical out, you could hook it up to your receiver using a toslink.

post #7 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Yeah, but to echo Espo77, what is the converter? What does that do?

In the meantime, get a mini plug to RCA and use the headphone jack from your computer. Or, if your desktop computer has optical out, you could hook it up to your receiver using a toslink.

....yes it's the "converter" that we are curious about. What is this device?

Espo77
post #8 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

....yes it's the "converter" that we are curious about. What is this device?

I know erbacheck and took a look at his setup - the converter is really more of a splitter - it accepts red, white and yellow composite in one end, and has the male plug for the headphone jack on the other. He is using this because it was available...

post #9 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 04:21 PM

I would connect a PCs audio via a digital connection. This can be done via TOS/link optical SP/DIF or COAXIAL SP/DIF or with newer notebooks and PCs the audio can be carried via HDMI. A lot of notebooks have a minipin connector for external audio BUT that same connector can also do TOS/link in a lot of instances. You need a special min pin to TOS/link adapter. It pushes farther into the TRS 3.5mm socket and presses down a switch that engages the optical diode. A lot of notebooks have this type of TOS/link only people don't realize it. There are also RCA/TOSlink sockets that have this feature.

I hope you understand that the TRS 3.5mm jack on a PC only provides the signal for two channels right! That cable you have is for a CAMCORDER and it's TRS has FOUR conductors if not more to carry Y/C. A stereo TRS 3.5mm has THREE conectors, Tip Ring and Sleeve. To carry ANALOG 5.1 out of your PC if it even has it is via THREE mini pin to RCA cables. This means THREE mini pin sockets on the PC. Don't mix up line in or mic in bro! And don't use that camcorder cable you could damaged you gear!

I suggest you research the basics on cables and understanding the difference between an analog line level signal and a digital one. Your clueless if you think two line level RCAs can carry surround with a camcorder adapter. Chances are if this is the case you prob have a prefab big box store PC and it probably doesn't even offer 5.1 outs in either analog or digital form.

PS if you were getting multi channel/speaker sound from the mini pin to two RCA cable from the notebook it wasn't DISCRETE. You would be running prologic pal from an analog two chan source!
post #10 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

I would connect a PCs audio via a digital connection. This can be done via TOS/link optical SP/DIF or COAXIAL SP/DIF or with newer notebooks and PCs the audio can be carried via HDMI. A lot of notebooks have a minipin connector for external audio BUT that same connector can also do TOS/link in a lot of instances. You need a special min pin to TOS/link adapter. It pushes farther into the TRS 3.5mm socket and presses down a switch that engages the optical diode. A lot of notebooks have this type of TOS/link only people don't realize it. There are also RCA/TOSlink sockets that have this feature.

I hope you understand that the TRS 3.5mm jack on a PC only provides the signal for two channels right! That cable you have is for a CAMCORDER and it's TRS has FOUR conductors. A stereo TRS 3.5mm has THREE conectors, Tip Ring and Sleeve. To carry ANALOG 5.1 out of your PC if it even has it is via THREE mini pin to RCA cables.

I suggest you research the basics on cables and understanding the difference between an analog line level signal and a digital one. Your clueless if you think two line level RCAs can carry surround with a camcorder adapter. Chances are if this is the case you prob have a prefab big box store PC and it probably doesn't even offer 5.1 outs in either analog or digital form.

PS if you were getting multi channel/speaker sound from the mini pin to two RCA cable from the notebook it wasn't DESCRETE. You would be running prologic pal!

I believe the main question erbacheck had was "Why does it work with my laptop but not the PC?" Is it as simple as the PC does not support audio in the same way his laptop does?

post #11 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

I believe the main question erbacheck had was "Why does it work with my laptop but not the PC?" Is it as simple as the PC does not support audio in the same way his laptop does?

It has to do with the TRS 3.5 socket and how it connects "sleeve" and the pinout on the ends of the cable. If you look at the camcorder adapter it has three sleeves spaced with insulator rings unlike a STEREO TRS than has ONE sleeve. The TRS socket sleeve tab will bridge those conductors/pinout depending on it's design. Consumer line level is always −10 dBV so no the output on the notebook and the desktop in terms of analog are the SAME.

Tell him to run down to Radio Shack or what ever and get a long enough 3.5mm TRS "mini pin" MALE to stereo RCA MALE cable and stop using that camcorder adapter as it's pinout or sleeve shorting could damage his gear. If his desktop PC has surround sound out then get three of those cables. If his desktop PC has SP.DIF then why are you even farting around with these analog connections! Personally I've never seen a PC that has analog multi channel out NOT HAVE SP/DIF as well. It's usually RCA or TOS/link or BOTH.

PS BTW don't connect the ORANGE RCA from the PC to an ANALOG input on the AVR if the PC has coaxial SP/DIF !!!

PSS Is that answer good enough for you KtrainHurricane !?!
post #12 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It has to do with the TRS 3.5 socket and how it connects "sleeve" and the pinout on the ends of the cable. If you look at the camcorder adapter it has three sleeves spaced with insulator rings unlike a STEREO TRS than has ONE sleeve. The TRS socket sleeve tab will bridge those conductors/pinout depending on it's design. Consumer line level is always −10 dBV so no the output on the notebook and the desktop in terms of analog are the SAME.

Tell him to run down to Radio Shack or what ever and get a long enough 3.5mm TRS "mini pin" MALE to stereo RCA MALE cable and stop using that camcorder adapter as it's pinout or sleeve shorting could damage his gear. If his desktop PC has surround sound out then get three of those cables. If his desktop PC has SP.DIF then why are you even farting around with these analog connections! Personally I've never seen a PC that has analog multi channel out NOT HAVE SP/DIF as well. It's usually RCA or TOS/link or BOTH.

PS BTW don't connect the ORANGE RCA from the PC to an ANALOG input on the AVR if the PC has coaxial SP/DIF !!!

I am the first to admit that I don't have much experience with this stuff, so much of your answer seems confusing to me. One thing I will say, though, is that I believe the reason for "farting around" with these connections is because erbacheck has his stereo setup in a large living room (which also connects to a kitchen, hallway, indoor/outdoor "game room"), and he wants the ability to play music in such a way that it fills the entire area. Playing in regular 2.1 stereo does not accomplish this as well as 5.1 would.

Quote:

Doesnt really affect me in any way, as it is not my house/setup. Erbacheck is a friend of mine so I was just "chiming in" for him, because I knew the intentions of his original question, and it seemed as though you didn't. Both of us are "noobs" with this stuff so the detailed, technicial and intricate answers don't really help (me, at least) much. I was just trying to "dumb down" the question in hopes of receiving a "dumbed-down" answer in return...but thanks for being a dick!

post #13 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 PM

KtrainHurricane my intend wasn't to be a dick at all! Why would I even bother to help then! Stereo isn't 2.1 it's 2.0 or two channels. The AVR does have an xover though and if it's set to LFE+mains it should send frequencies from a stereo source below the xover point to his sub. As for getting the sound to come out of all five speakers. The best thing for that would be to set the surround sound "mode" to 5.1 channel stereo. The name for this mode depends on the manufacturer. Some call it "multi channel stereo" and others call it "5.1/7.1 chan stereo" depending on your speaker count.

The most important question to ask at this point is what types of audio or video outputs does his desktop HTPC have? I would assume the PC's video output is also connected to his AVR if it's in the same room?

It seems the "surround sound mode" in the AVR is set differently for the input of the desktop PC than the notebook as well.

I hope that helps your friend and perhaps you in realizing I'm trying to HELP.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm pretty sure erbacheck just needs to buy one of the mini plug to RCAs I linked to earlier to solve his problem since he's not getting sound out of the left channel. The right cable for the right job.

However, it might also help if erbacheck can provide much more information about his setup, such as the make and model # of his PC and his surround receiver, as well as where he is plugging his cable into the receiver for his laptop and desktop (which inputs).

post #15 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

KtrainHurricane my intend wasn't to be a dick at all! Why would I even bother to help then! Stereo isn't 2.1 it's 2.0 or two channels. The AVR does have an xover though and if it's set to LFE+mains it should send frequencies from a stereo source below the xover point to his sub. As for getting the sound to come out of all five speakers. The best thing for that would be to set the surround sound "mode" to 5.1 channel stereo. The name for this mode depends on the manufacturer. Some call it "multi channel stereo" and others call it "5.1/7.1 chan stereo" depending on your speaker count.

I hope that helps your friend and perhaps you in realizing I'm trying to HELP.

Quote:

^This rubbed me the wrong way...I guess I interpreted it differently than you intended. We do appreciate your efforts to help, so thanks for that.

I always thought that "true" stereo was 2.1 with Front R, Front L and subwoofer.

post #16 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I always thought that "true" stereo was 2.1 with Front R, Front L and subwoofer.

There is a LFE (low frequency effects) track on movies that is meant for subwoofers, but most of the audible sound on movies and all of the audible sound that a subwoofer gets from music is a combining of the bass from the other channels. That's why you need a crossover setting on a receiver. It tells the receiver what frequency to cut off the bass on full range speakers and where to start letting the bass go to the sub.

post #17 of 17 Old 12-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:

^This rubbed me the wrong way...I guess I interpreted it differently than you intended. We do appreciate your efforts to help, so thanks for that.

Nope...

This is why when you changed your Onkyo xover to 120Hz your new Paradigm speakers sounded a lot better...

BTW what did those speaker cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Hint make sure you have it set to LFE+mains and set it to 120-160Hz and also if the AVR has it make sure it's LFE+mains for "stereo" or "direct" mode. Also make sure the speakers are set to SMALL for ALL CHANNELS.

One thing I think you'll learn from owning very small speakers like your new Paradigms is that a loudspeaker with a driver smaller than 5" doesn't have enough "oumph" to satisfy a lot of people. Simply the law of physics really! You generally want a loudspeaker that can reach 80-100Hz as this is the point where the sound becomes monaural. Those little guys can barely reach 120Hz and prob only around 160Hz! Your sub prob can't reach that high so you end up with a hole in your FR. This is typical of HTIAB and speakers like what you purchased. Again it's simply the law of physics because such a small loudspeaker can't move enough "air".
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page