HELP! Can speakers lose their magnetic protection? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-04-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just hooked up my CSW Satellite speakers for the 1st time in years. I placed the subwoofer cube behind the TV cart and placed the satellites on either side of the TV (a 32 inch tube Panasonic HDTV). I placed the center channel on top which I had been using more recently with no issues.

I am watching the Pats game right now can I am getting the discoloration on both sides like the speakers are too close. So I disconnect everything and move the speakers far away from the TV. Still getting the discoloration on the sides.

Any ideas what happened?

****** Never mind. I turned off the tv for 15 mins and when it came back on everything was fine. Real odd. ********

Eighty percent of married men cheat in America! The rest do it in Europe! -Jackie Mason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 AM

Liked: 10
magnetic damage can be permanent

If you want to know if a product is "good", please tell us your definition of "bad" for an understood point of reference. Do you want subjective opinions or objective facts?
- FunHouse Media
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunHouse Austin View Post

magnetic damage can be permanent

It can often be fixed, although in some cases the damage will continue to appear until fixed.

I used to have a Sharp tube that we had in a corner of an apartment living room, apparently too close to a wall-mounted air conditioner unit. The upper corner of the TV was always dark as a result, even when moved away from the AC. I figure the magnet in the compressor motor caused the gauss effect. I never did try to fix it (didn't care that much, really).

Years ago when I worked at an electronics retailer's service counter, we had a homemade degausser that the techs used to use to fix magnetic damage. It was really nothing more than an electromagnet (about a one foot diameter coil of wire, wrapped in electrical tape, an plugged into a wall outlet) that the techs would wave around a tube until it looked better. We used to play with it on the CRT monitors for the inventory/mainframe system, although the techs would yell at us. But we never caused any permanent damage. And it looked cool. It's amazing what can count as "fun" to bored teenagers at a part time job.

Some CRT TVs degauss when power-cycled. Some CRT PC monitors have a "degauss" button which can fix magnetic damage when pressed. Otherwise, an external degausser is the best way to fix the damage.

In many cases, the damage is not permanent.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Could also be the subwoofer if it's too close.

I like Ice Cream!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page