Wiring 8 Ohm Surround Speakers for 4 ohm Amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to this stuff so please bear with me. I am going to add an amp to my AVR setup. L/C/R are all 4 ohm speakers (M&K S-150) I have (2) sets of surrounds (Definitive) rated at 8 ohms, then back surrounds. The plan is to have the AVR power the back surrounds. The amp is Emotiva XPA-5. The question is do I (1) wire the surrounds in parallel to the amp to create a 4 ohm load to the amp, (2) use amp to power one set of surrounds creating one set of 8 ohm speakers connected to the amp and the other to AVR, or (3) let the AVR power both sets of surrounds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-06-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Could you clarify? You want to use 4 side surrounds and 2 back surrounds? And plan to power the 4 side surrounds and your center and your fronts with the XPA-5?

If yes to all that then, yes, you will probably want to wire the side surrounds in parallel to 2 channels of the XPA-5. Not BECAUSE they will present a 4ohm load (although they will) but because this is probably your best option if you DO have to drive those 4 side surround speakers with only two channels, because the amp should be capable of driving that 4ohm load.

You COULD use two of the AVR's side surround amps for 2 of the side surrounds but, depending upon the relative power of the AVR's amps to the XPA-5's amps, you might have issues with the relative levels of the 4 side surrounds as you won't have a way to adjust the 2 pair of speakers' relative levels. But you are going to have issues with this relative to where you are seated, anyway. So, I guess you could use the disparity in output to your advantage. Unless your listening spot is equidistant from both pairs, calibrating 4 side surrounds on the 2 side surround channels is going to be problematic, anyway.

I do not think wiring all 4 side surrounds to your AVR's 2 side surround amps is a reasonable course given that the XPA-5 should be more robust. However, you didn't say what your AVR was. I am just assuming the XPA-5 would be more up to the task of driving the 4ohm load.

I assume the reason you are doing this is because you have a longish room or home theater, correct?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 3 Old 12-08-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Correct. (4) Surround speakers and (2) back speakers. AVR is Denon 4308CI so it rated at 140W @ 8ohms.

I do share the concern about the ability to set levels for each set in the room. The room is large at 17 x 32.

If I let the Denon power the surrounds A+B and the backs then I could go with Emotiva XPA-3. Wanted to know if going with 5 was worth it and wiring the side surrounds in parallel to make the amp more efficient or just use a 3 channel amp and use the Denon.

Thanks for your response.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page