Use of vintage high quality audio with hdtv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to buy a 60" HDTV with its typically mediocre sound. I own a Marantz 2270 amp/receiver, a pair of KLH5 speakers and a pair of KLH33 speakers. The amp has RCA connectors and the speakers screw type wire connectors. Can I use this equipment as a sound system for my TV? This is a very robust amp, and KLH was known for good, not to bright speakers. They are pretty low efficiency, so need a lot of amp to keep them from sounding muddy. Should I use amp and speakers, ditch the amp for a new 5.1 amp and keep the speakers, or start anew?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Buy/find a TV that has analog audio outputs (red/white) and it will sound very good.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Buy/find a TV that has analog audio outputs (red/white) and it will sound very good.

The TV I want seems to have only digital output. Ebay has a bunch of digital to analog (RCA) converters for about $25.

This should work, shouldn't it?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:01 PM

You could probably get an older Dolby Digital receiver (used) on ebay or Craigslist for not much more than that. In fact, I just got a Yamaha DD/DTS receiver for free off Freecycle.

Low efficiency is relative, and today's receivers should have no problem driving older speakers, which were designed when 30-50 watts was considered "high power".

If you're lucky, you'll find a receiver with 5.1 preamp outputs, then you can remove the preamp->power amp jumpers on your Marantz and use its power amp section to drive your front speakers (which in turn will allow the surround amps in the receiver to put out more power, since the weak link in most receivers is the power supply). If you can find one more similar speaker to use as a center (either another KLH or an early Advent) you'll be doing quite well, and could probably dispense with a subwoofer for the time being.

"When everyone's out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking"
-- Dr. Johnny Fever
Old 12-08-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 418
But the Marantz is old school with the GYRO Tuning Dial. Ya gotta keep that!

Afro GT
Old 12-09-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindog View Post

The TV I want seems to have only digital output. Ebay has a bunch of digital to analog (RCA) converters for about $25.

This should work, shouldn't it?

Well, yes... but depending if you intend to use the TV's internal tuner (for digital cable or antenna), you must use a converter that supports/converts Dolby Digital also.

Example:
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2.../dp/B0021QBIBQ

If not using the TV's internal tuner you can use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-.../dp/B0013LWK3A
Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If not using the TV's internal tuner you can use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-.../dp/B0013LWK3A

I think this will do the same thing for less money.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Afro GT
Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=afrogt;21322962]I think this will do the same thing for less money.

Concerned about the sentence in red at the bottom of the ebay listing for this item.....about the digital input signal being only stereo....not a complex modern coded signal.......
Old 12-09-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What ebay listing?

Since you only have a two channel receiver, dont you want a stereo signal?

Afro GT
Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Afro GT, as I read it, the device will only turn a stereo digital input into a stereo analog output. I am assuming that a current model year TV will probably have a 5.1 or 7.1 signal coming out of its digital audio feed. The question seems to be whether the device will take this complex digital signal and turn it into stereo. Or am I being thick on the subject?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It depends what your source is. Most HDTV's convert external sources (cable box, sat dish, blu ray, etc into two channel stereo. The only time the tv passes dolby digital is thru the internal tv tuner. That's how my two flat panel TV's work.

So if you're not using the internal tuner you should be fine.

What make and model tv is it? And what devices will be connected?

Afro GT
Old 12-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Depends on the TV. IIRC, my LG 55LH90 always outputs a Dolby Digital signal from its optical output.

You can use this to handle any PCM stereo or Dolby Digital stream:
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-GTV-DD-2...3490936&sr=8-1

It's $92, and you probably won't find anything cheaper that will work, unless you're okay with hunting for a used Technics SH-AC300 or SH-AC500 (or similar from another manufacturer).
Old 12-10-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I will have cable...the TV is set to Ch4, and the cable company remote controls it, so you must be correct....the cable tuner is being used, not the tv tuner. I plan to buy the Sharp 60LE835U. Thanks for the help.....you are a pretty savvy person.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am in the same situation. I needed a 32" set for the bedroom and all the lcd sets I looked at had lousy speakers, partially due to their small size. I have a vintage Realistic 2100 receiver that I am working on (120w of real power per channel, 4 output transisters per channel) so I got a set with an earphone output.
I'll connect that to the receiver, receiver goes under the set, will use two Realistic LX5 speakers and call it a day. I am not worrying about surround as my bedroom doesn't have room for it as it is.
It is actually turning into a nice vintage/modern system as I have an excellent antenna for FM and a Harmon Kardon 491 cassette deck to go with it in case I want to listen to tapes of my vinyl. Along with that, the Roku box will also send
the receiver Pandora.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 260
The Mitsubishi WD-60C9 TV is a great value. The picture quality is unbeatable and it has analog left and right sound outputs which I am feeding to a Musical Fidelity amplifier and PSB Image T6 speakers. The result is great sound and picture. It is recently discontinued, however and the few left online are going for around $800.

The Sharp LC60E69U is a 60-inch LCD TV with analog output jacks, and it is currently on Amazon for about $1100.

Another one that has analog outputs for your use is the Vizio VL series. I see online that the Vizio E550VL model, which is 55", is available at about 10 online retailers for $800-$1000; perhaps that would interest you. Another Vizio model that has analog outputs is the 55" M550SV.

I think most HDTV manufacturers have at least one line of sets that have analog outputs. My mother recently needed a new TV and I called Vizio to find out which ones had the analog outputs (the "VL" models). You just need to look at the manual online for the set where it shows the pictures of the actual connectors on the set (manufacturers' website). The analog outputs are out there; the problem is that one series has them and another one does not; you have to do the research.

Your amplifier and speakers will certainly work fine with any of the ones that have the analog outputs. Yeah, some of the new models only have HDMI or digital outputs, so you have to make certain that you get the right one, that's all. The devil is in the details.

The amp is a bit long in the tooth, so maybe you want a new one? If so, there is a great amp at a great price right now; Audio Advisor has marked the Cambridge Audio A650 down from $779 to $500. It was great amp at the original price, and a steal at $500. I assume that a new model is coming out and they are clearing out the existing stock.

If you really want to go with a multi-channel home theatre receiver, I recommend the Onkyo HT-RC360, for $550. Check the Onkyo website for their line of receivers and the features. Among the many brands of receivers available, I think Onkyo sounds the best and then Marantz; most of the others suck...lol.

If your speakers sound good to you, I wouldn't worry about replacing them until something in there dies, lol.

BTW, the Techcraft HBL-60 stand is a very good thing for holding your TV and your audio-video gear; check it out. It's about $140 at Sears and other stores. It's well-made and easy to assemble, but the glass shelves and steel supports are heavy so shipping will be $50.

Quote:

I am about to buy a 60" HDTV with its typically mediocre sound. I own a Marantz 2270 amp/receiver, a pair of KLH5 speakers and a pair of KLH33 speakers. The amp has RCA connectors and the speakers screw type wire connectors. Can I use this equipment as a sound system for my TV? This is a very robust amp, and KLH was known for good, not to bright speakers. They are pretty low efficiency, so need a lot of amp to keep them from sounding muddy. Should I use amp and speakers, ditch the amp for a new 5.1 amp and keep the speakers, or start anew?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

The sound quality and connections of your receiver don't matter here. The Marantz 2270 = No Remote Control! Forget about using it for TV sound.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Another one that has analog outputs for your use is the Vizio VL series. I see online that the Vizio E550VL model, which is 55", is available at about 10 online retailers for $800-$1000; perhaps that would interest you.

I bought an E550VL last year, great budget set. RCA outs was 50% of the reason I bought it. The other 50% is that is was quite a bit less expensive than than the Sony EX with RCA's, with almost as good a picture.

Quote:

I think most HDTV manufacturers have at least one line of sets that have analog outputs.that you get the right one, that's all. The devil is in the details.

I'm a 2 channel geek that has to have RCA outs on my TV. Converters are pricey and dicey for 2 channel. I looked around a lot, not many quality sets with RCA except for Vizio and Sony.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Point taken......

Perhaps I sell the Marantz and buy a modern AV Receiver