Denon AVR-1912 & Energy 5.1 Take Classic? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

So I have a question regarding combining these two items. I purchased the Denon AVR-1912, as it has several features that I really like. However, I realize that this receiver may on more of the higher end than I need. I live in a condo and have a smaller sized living room, and just got a 55" Panasonic VT30.

Anyway, I'm looking for help on speakers. I'm not a total audiophile, don't have a huge room and I'm not looking for the best of the best. I'd like to hook up a nice speaker set with this receiver that will do the job for now, until I can get something on a higher budget in a larger room.

That said, I've read rave reviews of the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater set. I know that it's not the high end, high performing set you might put on this Denon receiver, but can anyone give some advice on whether or not it's a complete and total waste of money? I'm hoping this is a set that the Denon wouldn't blow out and would get me by for now. I don't have the setup to run 7.1 with bookshelf speakers on the sides.

If this is a totally poor choice of speaker set for this receiver, any suggestions on something up to/around $600? I realize speakers are a somewhat personal choice, but I'm not totally clear on what I need to look for in terms of compatibility. I know it's not all about watts

Thanks guys, much appreciated for any help you can provide!

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
How big is your room and can you only have those little satellite type speakers?

Afro GT
post #3 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM

I have a Denon 1912,in my bed room running a set of The Evo2-08 and a EVO2 center..and the sound is amazing..you should really really look into that setup,you wont be dissapointed..
Here ...http://www.musicdirect.com/m-485-wharfedale.aspx
post #4 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

How big is your room and can you only have those little satellite type speakers?

The room is approximately 9 1/2 ft x 13 1/2 ft. I also have to consider my budget for now, as I can't go spend $1k+ on speakers. I've read the 'rule' is speakers should cost twice as much as the receiver, but I can't do that until later.

post #5 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
The Energy 5.1 should sound fine in a room that size, unless you have unusually tall ceilings. Get use to the budget thing..while you will get excellent advice on this forum, someone is always telling you that you should spend more than you can!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #6 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

The Energy 5.1 should sound fine in a room that size, unless you have unusually tall ceilings. Get use to the budget thing..while you will get excellent advice on this forum, someone is always telling you that you should spend more than you can!

Is there any sort of concern with hooking up that 'budget' set with a higher-performing receiver? Like I mentioned, I'm not sure what I need to look at in terms of 'compatibility' and want to make sure they wouldn't be blown out easily

I wish I could spend more here, but would like to wait until I'm in a bigger place to do the speakers the 'right' way. And on top of the TV, receiver, stand, Blu Ray player, etc, I'm a little tapped out

post #7 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 388
That Energy system will be fine for your room and with the Denon 1912. Its not that high end of a receiver. Energy Takes used to MSRP for $699 or $799. Would you feel better if they cost that much again?

Be happy you can get a quality satellite system setup for so cheap!

Enjoy your new setup.

Afro GT
post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

That Energy system will be fine for your room and with the Denon 1912. Its not that high end of a receiver. Energy Takes used to MSRP for $699 or $799. Would you feel better if they cost that much again?

Be happy you can get a quality satellite system setup for so cheap!

Enjoy your new setup.

Ha, I had no idea they used to be that much more.

Thanks for the confirmation man...much appreciated. Now to actually locate these things locally.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page