Bookshelves around $200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jham1496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for 200 or less. They will go on my bedroom and be used for 80% musicand some sports. I don't know of I matters but I listen to mostly classic rock, soft rock and the occasional rap or pop song. I'm overwhelmed with the amount of choices. I wouldnt be using a sub. Some of my top choices:
Polk rti4
Polk tsi100
Polk m30
Bic dv62si
Energy v-mini
Energy cb-5
I don't want to spend over 200 but might if the sound was a lot better.
I would appreciate any input on these and any other suggestions.
jham1496 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 01:14 PM
 
Solid-State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd look to the NHT Zeros, Ascent Acoustics CBM-170 or HTM-200. The 170s/200s have a much nicer Seas 1" dome tweeter than the metal 3/4" NHT tweet...

Ascend Acoustics is an internet direct retailer so you won't be able to audition unless you find someone in your area with them willing to let you have a listen. To be honest I don't believe there are better loudspeakers at that price-point.

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE $298


Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 $298


PS it's the best $98 extra you ever spent!
Solid-State is offline  
post #3 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 145
The Bic DV62si's are quite musical for under $200...

I'll have my Polk RTi4's on the 25th this christmas so I'll be able to give you my impressions
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #4 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
For just a little more at $219, the Cambridge Audio S30s have a nice sound, and due to their rear port, some very adequate bass for their small size. As a consequence, I like mine for rock. But if you can go a little higher, the Energy RC-10s are, to me, a jump in class of speaker at $279. Read in the Energy Owners Thread; they get a lotta love.

cel4145 is online now  
post #5 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,120
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jham1496 View Post

:
Polk rti4
Polk tsi100
Polk m30
Bic dv62si
Energy v-mini
Energy cb-5
I don't want to spend over 200 but might if the sound was a lot better.
I would appreciate any input on these and any other suggestions.

If I had to choose, it would be the RTi4
Not on your list - it would be this NHT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NHT-Model-1-...item27c1771aea

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #6 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jham1496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll do a little research and tell you what I think.
jham1496 is offline  
post #7 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jham1496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Those nhts look good but are a little to big. I like those caimbrige audio. Any other suggestions?
jham1496 is offline  
post #8 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,120
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jham1496 View Post

Those nhts look good but are a little to big. I like those caimbrige audio. Any other suggestions?

If the NHT is too big - then the Cambridge S30 is a real good one.
I prefer it over the RTi4

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #9 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jham1496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Those energy rc10 look great. I might spend 279 and get those but at the moment I have a old receiver that I eventually will upgrade so it doesn't leave me as much to work with.
jham1496 is offline  
post #10 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Member
 
JonCr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got some NHT SuperZero 2.0's and really like them. They are $198 / pair. They are only 9" tall - its hard to get much smaller. Only issue is they are sealed, so are bass challenged, so they work best with a sub.
JonCr is offline  
post #11 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jham1496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCr View Post

I just got some NHT SuperZero 2.0's and really like them. They are $198 / pair. They are only 9" tall - its hard to get much smaller. Only issue is they are sealed, so are bass challenged, so they work best with a sub.

I like the size and price but I would prefer to not use a sub.those cambrige s 30s look great and get almost perfect reviews. Those and the energy rc10s are near the top of my list
jham1496 is offline  
post #12 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 PM
 
Solid-State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jham1496 View Post

I like the size and price but I would prefer to not use a sub.those cambrige s 30s look great and get almost perfect reviews. Those and the energy rc10s are near the top of my list

You couldn't do much better than CBM-170SEs at that price point jham1496!

Those speakers compare to ones costing three to four times the price and are better performers than the other mainstream brands mentioned. Yeah they are ugly but who cares it's the SQ that maters right!

Don't expect big bass performance out of any of these bookshelves either. It's simply not possible with for such small speakers though the CBM-170 SE does drive to 80Hz before it takes a dive and is ported.

Also worth consideration is the DIY speakers from GR Research. The A/V-1s are about $300 a pair all said and done. They are very similar to the Cambridge 30s only are made with higher quality xover and driver components.

Dr. Hsu also has nice CHEAP horns called HB-1 if you like those.

The doc might have a 2.1 set available that might suite you!
Solid-State is offline  
post #13 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post


You couldn't do much better than CBM-170SEs at that price point jham1496!

Those speakers compare to ones costing three to four times the price and are better performers than the other mainstream brands mentioned. Yeah they are ugly but who cares it's the SQ that maters right!

Don't expect big bass performance out of any of these bookshelves either. It's simply not possible with for such small speakers though the CBM-170 SE does drive to 80Hz before it takes a dive and is ported.

Also worth consideration is the DIY speakers from GR Research. The A/V-1s are about $300 a pair all said and done. They are very similar to the Cambridge 30s only are made with higher quality xover and driver components.

Dr. Hsu also has nice CHEAP horns called HB-1 if you like those.

The doc might have a 2.1 set available that might suite you!

The hsu hb1 mk2s are pretty decent too with bass. was considering getting them over the 170s cause of looks

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #14 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Member
 
nm4710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Polk RTi4s. I have listened to them and the other RTi speakers extensively and they're honestly very good. The imaging is impressive, bass is strong, and the cabinets are very very attractive (much more so than some of the other options here). I haven't heard all of the speakers in this thread to compare them, but I do think at the price the Polks hold their own. They are just a little bright but they really do sound very good. A lot of folks don't like Polks for various reasons but the RTi and LSi lines are a great value. It's very easy to spend much more and get much less.

Cheers,
NM
nm4710 is offline  
post #15 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jham1496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post

I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Polk RTi4s. I have listened to them and the other RTi speakers extensively and they're honestly very good. The imaging is impressive, bass is strong, and the cabinets are very very attractive (much more so than some of the other options here). I haven't heard all of the speakers in this thread to compare them, but I do think at the price the Polks hold their own. They are just a little bright but they really do sound very good. A lot of folks don't like Polks for various reasons but the RTi and LSi lines are a great value. It's very easy to spend much more and get much less.

Cheers,
NM

Thanks for the input but it doesnt help with narrowing my choices lol. I do like the looks and the price of the polks but some of the other speakers mentioned seem to be better.
jham1496 is offline  
post #16 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm4710 View Post

I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Polk RTi4s. I have listened to them and the other RTi speakers extensively and they're honestly very good. The imaging is impressive, bass is strong, and the cabinets are very very attractive (much more so than some of the other options here). I haven't heard all of the speakers in this thread to compare them, but I do think at the price the Polks hold their own. They are just a little bright but they really do sound very good. A lot of folks don't like Polks for various reasons but the RTi and LSi lines are a great value. It's very easy to spend much more and get much less.

Cheers,
NM

How do they rti4s fare to the hsus?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #17 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

How do they rti4s fare to the hsus?

I was thinking the same question until I saw that the Polk RTi4's were half the price of the HSU's. I would think the HSU might have more bass but the specs are the same.

When I heard them they blew my Polk Monitor 30's out of the water in terms of imagining, tighter mid range and more bass. They are definitely built a lot better than the Monitor's
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #18 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Ster3ohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wowed by the Cambridge audio s30 when I first heard them. With my setup I preferred the sound of the s30 over the cbm-170se.
Ster3ohead is offline  
post #19 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jham1496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like the horn design of the hus's because I heard that that gives you a greater soundstage but I'm leaning towards the polks or cambrige because of price
jham1496 is offline  
post #20 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jham1496 View Post

I like the horn design of the hus's because I heard that that gives you a greater soundstage but I'm leaning towards the polks or cambrige because of price

You would think the horn tweeter would lead to a larger sound stage but that isn't always the case.

Granted this is a review of the HSU's first version versus the Monitor 30's the monitor 30's had a larger sound stage with its cloth dome tweeter
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...arch-hb-1.html

He is a review of the RTi4's
http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/1004polk/
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #21 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

You would think the horn tweeter would lead to a larger sound stage but that isn't always the case.

Granted this is a review of the HSU's first version versus the Monitor 30's the monitor 30's had a larger sound stage with its cloth dome tweeter
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...arch-hb-1.html

The only reason i'm leaning towards the hsu is I want to play loud and its horn loaded. I enjoyed the demo at hsu too

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #22 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
jham1496's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

You would think the horn tweeter would lead to a larger sound stage but that isn't always the case.

Granted this is a review of the HSU's first version versus the Monitor 30's the monitor 30's had a larger sound stage with its cloth dome tweeter
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...arch-hb-1.html


Thanks, didnt see that article. If the m30s compare to the hb1s then the rti4 should be a good choice. I'm now kinda leaning between the rti4s and the cambrige. Has anyone heard both of these and could compare the two?
jham1496 is offline  
post #23 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 PM
 
Solid-State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster3ohead View Post

I was wowed by the Cambridge audio s30 when I first heard them. With my setup I preferred the sound of the s30 over the cbm-170se.

Very interesting to hear and thanks for sharing! Did you have them both in house for testing?

Yeah they are both great loudspeakers of very similar design.

Lots of really great constructive comments here...

jham1496 you're on the right path now!

Seriously consider the smaller non huge corporate outfits like Audio Partnership Plc and stick it to da man!

I'd narrow it down to

HSU HB-1
CBM-170 SE
A/V-1

You might have fun and learn a thing or two with a DIY like the A/V-1 ! You can get premade cabs as well...

IMHO I'd go CBM-170 SE or the A/V-1s as the larger 1" soft dome is better than any horn or metal.

PS I'd also question the S30 quality control... look at your tweeter experience! The CBM-170 SE has a Seas tweeter of higher quality manufacture!
Solid-State is offline  
post #24 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Oh and I can oick up the hsus locally so its cheaper if its easier to play the polks louder ill go for them. The rating is 88db while the hsus are 92. Not sure if in room or anaehoic

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #25 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jham1496 View Post

Thanks, didnt see that article. If the m30s compare to the hb1s then the rti4 should be a good choice. I'm now kinda leaning between the rti4s and the cambrige. Has anyone heard both of these and could compare the two?

Well I would assume the HB-1 Mk2's have been revised since that review since they are the second version

Cambridge s30's are very widely reviewed I choose the Polk RTi's as though they are rear ported like the S30's they have a designed diverter to direct the air from the rear port away in a manor that allows for better on wall placement

The biggest difference I see between the RTI4's and the S30's is the size.
S30's are 6.3" wide, 9.0" high, 8" deep at 6.6lbs each
RTi4's are 12" H by 7" W by 11½" D, at 12lbs each
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #26 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 07:44 PM
 
Solid-State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jham1496 View Post

Thanks, didnt see that article. If the m30s compare to the hb1s then the rti4 should be a good choice. I'm now kinda leaning between the rti4s and the cambrige. Has anyone heard both of these and could compare the two?

I'd like to know why you make no comment on the unknown/non commercialized brands. I'm trying to understand consumers and their notions regarding speakers and brands. Brand seems to make about 80% of the purchasing decision logic from what I see. I'm trying to understand why when some many people suggest better products yet people still buy the BRAND NAME...

I don't get it!
Solid-State is offline  
post #27 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Member
 
Ster3ohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid-State View Post

Very interesting to hear and thanks for sharing! Did you have them both in house for testing?...

Yea. I bought them at the same time and listened to both for nearly 30 days before deciding which to keep.

Here is my comparison in zieglj01's thread about the s30 if you're interested.

In retrospect the s30 may not be as smooth as I make it sound but it felt that way when directly compared to, and briefly living with, the cbm170se
Ster3ohead is offline  
post #28 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 08:18 PM
 
Solid-State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ster3ohead View Post

Yea. I bought them at the same time and listened to both for nearly 30 days before deciding which to keep.

Here is my comparison in zieglj01's thread about the s30 if you're interested.

In retrospect the s30 may not be as smooth as I make it sound but they felt that way when directly compared to, and briefly living with, the cbm170se

Did you notice the one screwy tweeter during those listening sessions or is this something you figured out later? <- friendly needle

I guess you already sold of the CBM-170s because you might just have a customer here if your trying to get rid of them.

PS Have you looked at S30 mods? I'm curious if anyone like Skiiing Ninja has looked at upgrading some of it's components.
Solid-State is offline  
post #29 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Well I would assume the HB-1 Mk2's have been revised since that review since they are the second version

Then why share that review since other members have pointed out before that the HB-1 MK2 has been revised?

cel4145 is online now  
post #30 of 77 Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 PM
 
Solid-State's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Doh!

Dennis Murphy has placed his golden touch on those S30s!

Dennis Murphy S30 xover upgrades
Solid-State is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off