kef center speaker - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this is a question for my dad. hes looking for a new center speaker and the ones hes been looking at are klipsch kc25 and polk cs20 from best buy.
he has older kef coda 7 bookshelf speakers and im asking what would be a good match. im thinking that going with kef would be the best because it would match the fronts but they dont make that series anymore. i think that he would also buy new kef fronts too when he decides to.

i dont know much about kef speakers so any input on any of these center speakers would be great.
hes has a dennon avr 1905 receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I found a detailed review on the Coda 7 speakers from 2003, in the CNET Archive, and their efficiency and design seem to match up well with the Monitor Audio M2 speakers. For this reason I would suggest that the Monitor Audio Bronze BX Center Speaker would be a good match. I see it listed on the Audio Advisor website for $299. The second choice would be the Monitor Audio MCenter for $199.

Another good choice would be a the PSB Alpha CLR 1 speaker for $200.

The thing you want to match is the efficiency, as well as the general speaker type. The Coda 7 has an efficiency rating of 91db/watt, so you want something that is between 89db/watt and 93db/watt.

The Klipsch RC42 and KC25 are a bad match because they are 6-8 db more efficient than the coda 7 speakers, and that is going to be a big problem; that means that the Coda 7 requires about 8 times as much power for the same volume level compared to those Klipsch speakers; matching the levels would be almost impossible.

I don't think that Polk would be a good match for the Coda 7 from a sonic standpoint.

[quote=craig2425;21369420]this is a question for my dad. hes looking for a new center speaker and the ones hes been looking at are klipsch kc25 and polk cs20 from best buy.
he has older kef coda 7 bookshelf speakers and im asking what would be a good match. im thinking that going with kef would be the best because it would match the fronts but they dont make that series anymore. i think that he would also buy new kef fronts too when he decides to.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the response.
im pretty sure hes going to be upgrading his other speakers i just dont know when. i just know that his current center speaker is shot and my mom wants to buy him a new center speaker for christmas.
so what would be a good speaker? should he wait and buy all new speakers together?

[quote=commsysman;21369648]I found a detailed review on the Coda 7 speakers from 2003, in the CNET Archive, and their efficiency and design seem to match up well with the Monitor Audio M2 speakers. For this reason I would suggest that the Monitor Audio Bronze BX Center Speaker would be a good match. I see it listed on the Audio Advisor website for $299. The second choice would be the Monitor Audio MCenter for $199.

The Klipsch RC42 and KC25 are a bad match because they are 6-8 db more efficient than the coda 7 speakers, and that is going to be a big problem; that means that the Coda 7 requires about 8 times as much power for the same volume level compared to those Klipsch speakers; matching the levels would be very difficult.

I don't think that Polk would be a good match for the Coda 7 from a sonic standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2425 View Post

this is a question for my dad. hes looking for a new center speaker and the ones hes been looking at are klipsch kc25 and polk cs20 from best buy.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=craig2425;21369796]thanks for the response.
im pretty sure hes going to be upgrading his other speakers i just dont know when. i just know that his current center speaker is shot and my mom wants to buy him a new center speaker for christmas.
so what would be a good speaker? should he wait and buy all new speakers together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I found a detailed review on the Coda 7 speakers from 2003, in the CNET Archive, and their efficiency and design seem to match up well with the Monitor Audio M2 speakers. For this reason I would suggest that the Monitor Audio Bronze BX Center Speaker would be a good match. I see it listed on the Audio Advisor website for $299. The second choice would be the Monitor Audio MCenter for $199.

The Klipsch RC42 and KC25 are a bad match because they are 6-8 db more efficient than the coda 7 speakers, and that is going to be a big problem; that means that the Coda 7 requires about 8 times as much power for the same volume level compared to those Klipsch speakers; matching the levels would be very difficult.

post #5 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

sorry but i dont understand what a sonic standpoint is.
what would you think about both those center speakers if the coda 7 speakers werent invloved?
is it better to worry about the center speaker or front? or all equal?
thanks again.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I am very partial to the sound of PSB speakers, personally.

If I was in the situation you describe, I would go ahead and get the PSB CLR 1 speaker $199) right now for the new center speaker, and then plan on getting the PSB Alpha B1 speakers ($299/pair) at some later date.

The PSB CLR 1 should match up well with the existing speakers, and then when you upgrade to the Alpha B1 speakers you will definitely have a matched set.

[quote=commsysman;21369820]
Quote:

thanks for the response.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry but i dont understand what a sonic standpoint is.

I just mean that I don't think the Polk speakers would sound as good as the Codas; it wouldn't be a good match.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

so pretty much he needs to figure out what speakers hes gonna want to go with otherwise hes just wasting his money.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so pretty much he needs to figure out what speakers hes gonna want to go with otherwise hes just wasting his money.

If he knows he is going to buy some new front speakers later for L and R, it certainly would make sense to get the center speaker now that is going to match what you intend to buy later.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page