surround sound speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-20-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does it make any since to have 4 surround sound speakers instead of having 2 surround sound and 2 bookcase speakers in a 7.1 setup? is there a huge sound difference or any at all? my surrounds will be klipsch 52ii most likely.

I have a average size living room ( open floor plan) see pictures. placement of speakers will be tricky with an open floor plan.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-20-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I would recommend tower speakers for the front; best sound, best bass. Spend your money on the best tower speakers you can get, use small speakers for the rear, and take any cheap-ass thump-box sub that you have and chuck it in the closet; save $500 minimum for a good one. Forget a center speaker.

How much money are you going to spend?

Which wall will the main speakers be on?

Are you using a receiver for power?

Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedkarpar View Post

does it make any since to have 4 surround sound speakers instead of having 2 surround sound and 2 bookcase speakers in a 7.1 setup? is there a huge sound difference or any at all? my surrounds will be klipsch 52ii most likely.

I have a average size living room ( open floor plan) see pictures. placement of speakers will be tricky with an open floor plan.

post #3 of 6 Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

i just order klipsch rw 12d sub from newegg yesterday.

i dont have a receiver yet but im looking at yamaha rx v671, rx v871 or rx a810.
im planning rf 52ii for fronts, rs 52ii for surround sound, and rc 62ii for center

my budget is limited. the rw 12d sub is not the best but its good.

so is it a good idea to get 4 surround instead of bookshelf speakers? or look at rf62ii for fronts?

looking at the pictures , everything will be going to the right of the fireplace.
or would you put a 60-70 inch led over the fire place for a HT setup?
post #4 of 6 Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 AM
NBR

I'm not a fan of putting the tv over the fire place. If you are going to go 7.1, just make sure you have the space to do it. If not, 5.1 might be the better option. Spend the most amount of money for your left, center, and right speakers. I would go with what ever is cheapest on your surrounds.

What is the size of your room? Is this setup just for movies and tv? Any music? What is your total budget for speakers and sub? Have you listen to this Klipsch model you want to buy? Have you compare them to any other speaker brand? Home theater costs money, you should do your home work and demo as many brand as you can before making your decision.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-14-2012, 03:50 AM

Yeah, hes got a point with putting it over the fireplace. Is it a gas fireplace or a real fireplace? A gas fireplace isn't going to put off nearly as much heat as a real one. You have that huge wall right next to the fireplace, I'd put it there.

As for the speakers, from what I've read they make all the difference in the world. 500 for a sub seems high to me though unless you're going for top of the line. And top of the line does not mean better sound quality. For that size of a room I think tower speakers are a great choice. But then I'm not an expert

I can tell you I have been reading constantly, every day, for the past month on receivers and Yamaha are top notch. Pioneer elite models are also very good.

SimpleC
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Home Theater magazine does the most thorough tests of anyone around, and they consistently rate Denon receivers the best sounding and the best at putting out the power advertised to 5 or more channels.

I would advise any friend of mine to get a Denon receiver. IMO they are the best in most price ranges.

You should NEVER put a TV over the fireplace because the screen will be subjected to excess heat, and smoke film will accumulate on the screen. You also might get warranty service refused if the TV shows signs of this; it is considered misuse and voids the warranty. You want to figure something else out, or never use the fireplace.

From what little I can see in the pictures, it looks like the wall to the right of the fireplace would be the obvious best place to put everything. That angled wall is going to be problematical anyway; Speaker placement????? A 65-inch Mitsubishi on a Tech-Craft stand for the equipment would be molto coolo on that wall...mmmm.

High-quality subs START at $500 and go to $2000 each. There are some marginally decent ones for around $300. The Klipsch RW12D ain't too bad...lol.

If you want high-quality good-sounding speakers, IMO you want to look at Monitor Audio and PSB and KEF. IMO most Klipsch speakers are a long way from the best for the money.

Tower speakers are a waste of money in an HT system. Get good front speakers that go down below 50 Hz so that you have good mid-bass from them. Tower speakers will cost twice as much for the equivalent sound quality and only go 10 Hz lower, which is of no significance when using a good subwoofer.

Fabulous front speakers- Monitor Audio Bronze BX-2 ($489/pair).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleC View Post

Yeah, hes got a point with putting it over the fireplace. Is it a gas fireplace or a real fireplace? A gas fireplace isn't going to put off nearly as much heat as a real one. You have that huge wall right next to the fireplace, I'd put it there.

As for the speakers, from what I've read they make all the difference in the world. 500 for a sub seems high to me though unless you're going for top of the line. And top of the line does not mean better sound quality. For that size of a room I think tower speakers are a great choice. But then I'm not an expert

I can tell you I have been reading constantly, every day, for the past month on receivers and Yamaha are top notch. Pioneer elite models are also very good.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page