Best low profile speaker system to use in my area - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-24-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I have recently started the research to build my first ever surround system. I went through all the beginner phases: HTIB, Bose systems, etc. I came to realize of great brands like Energy, Martin Logan or Mirage that I had not heard before.
With that said, I am trying to get a decent system under $ 900 (not including cables or mounts). I'm inclined for the DENON 1912 receiver or Pioneer 1021, but the speakers are my biggest concern. Please see attached diagram of my space. It is a fairly large volume to fill, a surface area of 21 x 16 and high vaulted ceilings of 11 feet. Also, my living area connects openly with a dining area and the kitchen. I also have tile flooring. I understand that this is not ideal for a home theater experience, but since I have no dedicated space at this time, this would be my only option to enjoy good audio. Also I have to work with the constraint that we have a minimalistic decor and I won't be able to use big speakers (as I would do if I had a dedicated room)

1. What package system do you recommend? Will the Energy RC-Micro 5.1 system fill the room? I prefer them over the Energy Take classic 5.1 due to its low profile design. Another option is the Mirage Nanosat package. Will I get any benefit from the advertised 360 degree audio?
2. If the systems mentioned above are not strong enough for my space. What do you recommend. Instead of bigger speakers I would prefer an in-wall option. Will I get the same sound quality going that route?

Many thanks in advance for your contribution
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-24-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Tiny speakers, large room, tiled floors! Anything on the walls? This seems a recipe for harsh, strained sound unless you EQ the crap out of it.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 9 Old 12-24-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Small is not reccomended - some treatment around the sitting area
is needed. Also in 5.1, the surrounds should go to the sides. You will
also, need to expierment with subwoofer placement - and you will
need a big one. With a tight budget - not a whole lot of options.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 9 Old 12-24-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I suggest, first of all that you get an Onkyo receiver. If you are going to spend $900 total, you should avoid Denon or Pioneer, in my opinion; I can't listen to their cheap receivers without head fatigue; not good.

The Onkyo TX-NR609 is $599 MSRP, but you can get it from Amazon for $379 now. That would be the best place to start. For under $500, I can't recommend any other receiver that will sound as good.

With that limited budget and your room acoustics, I would suggest that you get 2 good front speakers that have enough bass to eliminate the need for a subwoofer (the subwoofers that come as part of a system for less than $700 have atrocious sound quality), and two good rear speakers. Set the receiver up for four channels and forget anything else for now (if you have two good full-range front speakers, the need for a center channel speaker is highly questionable in any case).

A cheap 5.1 "complete system' you can get for $500 will be trash and sound like it. Spend the money you have for better quality, and don't spread it so thin that you get crapola sound. Wall-mounted speakers are awful. I don't see anything in your room layout that would make small-footprint tower speakers a problem. The main part of the speaker needs to be at the level of your ears when seated in any case; small speakers would need to be on stands.

Small tower speakers offer a clean minimal appearance on either side of a TV; a nice symmetrical grouping.

I suggest the Polk Audio Monitor 70 tower speakers for the front channels ($199 each), and the Polk Monitor 30 speakers for $125 per pair for the rear channels (Amazon). (Cheaper somewhere else???)

$520 for speakers, $370 for the receiver.

If you want to up the quality another big step and can spend $200 more, you could go with the Monitor Audio M4 front tower speakers ($498; Audio Advisor) and the Monitor Audi M1 rear speakers ($248).

If possible, put a couple of 3' x 4' rugs a bit in front of the speakers to limit floor reflections somewhat, or put down a larger area rug.

Happy holidays and may you be fortunate in the new year coming.

With that said, I am trying to get a decent system under $ 900 (not including cables or mounts). I'm inclined for the DENON 1912 receiver or Pioneer 1021, but the speakers are my biggest concern. Please see attached diagram of my space. It is a fairly large volume to fill, a surface area of 21 x 16 and high vaulted ceilings of 11 feet. Also, my living area connects openly with a dining area and the kitchen. I also have tile flooring. I understand that this is not ideal for a home theater experience, but since I have no dedicated space at this time, this would be my only option to enjoy good audio. Also I have to work with the constraint that we have a minimalistic decor and I won't be able to use big speakers (as I would do if I had a dedicated room)
post #5 of 9 Old 12-24-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest, first of all that you get an Onkyo receiver. If you are going to spend $900 total, you should avoid Denon or Pioneer, in my opinion; I can't listen to their cheap receivers without head fatigue; not good.

The Onkyo TX-NR609 is $599 MSRP, but you can get it from Amazon for $379 now. That would be the best place to start. For under $500, I can't recommend any other receiver that will sound as good.

With that limited budget and your room acoustics, I would suggest that you get 2 good front speakers that have enough bass to eliminate the need for a subwoofer (the subwoofers that come as part of a system for less than $700 have atrocious sound quality), and two good rear speakers. Set the receiver up for four channels and forget anything else for now (if you have two good full-range front speakers, the need for a center channel speaker is highly questionable in any case).

A cheap 5.1 "complete system' you can get for $500 will be trash and sound like it. Spend the money you have for better quality, and don't spread it so thin that you get crapola sound. Wall-mounted speakers are awful. I don't see anything in your room layout that would make small-footprint tower speakers a problem. The main part of the speaker needs to be at the level of your ears when seated in any case; small speakers would need to be on stands.

Small tower speakers offer a clean minimal appearance on either side of a TV; a nice symmetrical grouping.

I suggest the Polk Audio Monitor 70 tower speakers for the front channels ($199 each), and the Polk Monitor 30 speakers for $125 per pair for the rear channels (Amazon). (Cheaper somewhere else???)

$520 for speakers, $370 for the receiver.

If you want to up the quality another big step and can spend $200 more, you could go with the Monitor Audio M4 front tower speakers ($498; Audio Advisor) and the Monitor Audi M1 rear speakers ($248).

If possible, put a couple of 3' x 4' rugs a bit in front of the speakers to limit floor reflections somewhat, or put down a larger area rug.

Happy holidays and may you be fortunate in the new year coming.

Wow! What a load. Lots of absolutes, conjecture and opinion backed up with no facts. Surprise! It's the Internet after all.

Don't believe the BS about AVRs. They all sound nearly identical at this price range. I guarantee that the OP or anyone else could tell one from another in a blind test.

Next up is the ridiculous advice to get tower speakers large enough to not need a subwoofer. Sure all on $900 total budget.

You'd need a minimum of $2K and a separate amp or even more expensive towers with built in powered subs. Neither of which would be a good as a single $1k sub.

Given the OP's budget he/she has limited options.

My advice would be to go with a 2.1 or 3.1 for now and add some surrounds later.

$300 AVR, $200 for a pair of bookshelfs like the Infinity P162s and $400 for a sub like the Cadence 15MKII which is on sale for $399 shipped or the 12" for $299 shipped (in the continental US).

It would be a nice system for the money and you could add to it later.

Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #6 of 9 Old 12-25-2011, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Wow! What a load. Lots of absolutes, conjecture and opinion backed up with no facts. Surprise! It's the Internet after all.

Don't believe the BS about AVRs. They all sound nearly identical at this price range. I guarantee that the OP or anyone else could tell one from another in a blind test.

Next up is the ridiculous advice to get tower speakers large enough to not need a subwoofer. Sure all on $900 total budget.

You'd need a minimum of $2K and a separate amp or even more expensive towers with built in powered subs. Neither of which would be a good as a single $1k sub.

My advice would be to go with a 2.1 or 3.1 for now and add some surrounds later.

$300 AVR, $200 for a pair of bookshelfs like the Infinity P162s and $400 for a sub like the Cadence 15MKII which is on sale for $399 shipped or the 12" for $299 shipped (in the continental US).

Gene

x2

Besides the Denon avr-1612 is a much better purchase at $300 and it even comes with Audyssey MultiEQ which does a better job than the Onkyo's 2eq. Heck for $400 give me the Denon AVR-1712 with Audyssey MultiEQ XT!
post #7 of 9 Old 12-25-2011, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all again:
thanks a lot for all the opinions. i appreciate an i think the best ideas come from collective contributions i bet you Tesla and Edison had different ideas and they were both great
with that said, i have considered now tower speakers for my front laterals. i think they would go great with my decor and they would give me stronger sound for music than low profile sat speakers. I am brainstorming about buying one of these 5.1 budget systems i mentioned and add two towers for my front and that way get a 7.1. i would go over my initial budget though, but isnt it how it is all the time with these toys . what do you think about this idea? I m not sure about the center channel now. mixing front towers more powerful than a center speaker wouldnt cause a problem? also, for decor purposes (since i have a samsung un55d7000 flush in the wall) i was inclined to the idea of getting an in-wall center speaker to place under the tv. it would go great with the tower speakers.
i started researching and found the mythos 5 by definitive. those are damn nice but above my budget. do you know of something like that and more enconomic? i havent researched how good the mythos 5 are acoustically.
thanks to all of you one more time and hope you are enjoying the holidays
post #8 of 9 Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
When you become more mature, you will hopefully learn that it is possible to express your own opinion without feeling the need to trash someone else's. Everything I said was simply my opinion, based on my listening experience and my long experience as an audio equipment engineer. I am entitled to my opinion, and you are entitled to yours.

I have been listening to, engineering, testing and building audio systems for 40 years. I have my ideas, and you obviously don't share them. Others will have to judge who is more correct. I hope you will eventually become less insecure and get over your need to dump on anyone you disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Gene

post #9 of 9 Old 12-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
sent you a PM

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page