Computer Speaker 2.1 Suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking to improve my computer speakers a bit. Currently this is my PC Audio Setup:
  • Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatality PCI-e
  • Logitech Z-2200 2.1 Speakers
I've had these for about 6-7yrs and now after upgrading my HT setup, I've grown tired of the sound on these speakers. At the time I thought they sounded really awesome... but now with a decent HT setup I know the Logitech speakers aren't anywhere close to accurate or flat. Recently did a 10Hz-200Hz frequency sweep and captured it with SpecLab. Pretty lackluster response really.

As nearly all computer speakers aren't going to provide a significant improvement over the Logitech Speakers... I'm leaning toward doing Studio Monitors and a Subwoofer. Wanted to get an opinion on the M-Audio monitors & subs. Looking at these, anyone using these as computer speakers?
  • M-Audio AV40 Monitors
  • M-Audio SBX10 Subwoofer

I'd think these would be a big improvement over the Logitechs, mainly would use these for gaming & music. My other question is how would these connect to my computer. I have no experience at all with Studio Monitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-28-2011, 10:14 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 206
These are a fantastic bargain, and they sound very, very good. Ideal for your application.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 12 Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Also, you're so close, it becomes more difficult to adequately blend a subwoofer into the system, and near-field with the 6.75" drivers in the Berrys, you likely don't need one.

Good luck

post #4 of 12 Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

I think for gaming I'd miss the lower frequencies quite a bit. And I do know it would be harder to blender the speakers & sub. Just trying to improve the frequency response. Also the Logitech speakers fall off sharply below 40Hz. So would be nice to actually hear stuff below 40Hz.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Any other opinions? As I'm mainly using the speakers on my computer for gaming, I think I'd definately want a subwoofer. Also I'd rather not have HUGE studio monitors on my desk, the AV40s aren't that much bigger than the speakers I have currently.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-29-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Look at Swan powered computer speakers and Audioengine A2 multimedia speakers, too.

With the M-Audio, Swan, or Audioengine, you will pay a premium for the subwoofer. Have you considered going instead with passive bookshelf speakers and a sub? That's the route many AVS members go and it would give you a lot more options. Start with a used receiver from your local Craigslist, or get the small Emotiva a-100 or the full sized HK 3390. The Outlaw Audio M8, currently available on b-stock at $225 shipped, would be a great sub for a computer setup. Then pick some bookshelves. Perhaps the Cambridge Audio S30s, Infinity Primus P152s, or NHT SuperZeros.

post #7 of 12 Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdane View Post

Any other opinions?

There are a number of threads already which discuss speakers like those you're
considering. I think it's worth looking into.

The loudspeaker you mentioned, AV-40, gets many good recommendations here
at AVS Forum. I haven't heard it, personally.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-29-2011, 10:04 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

You want killer bass, with no big speakers on your desk....

It's entirely possible I don't understand your application. If it's the typical approach of desktop speakers, music, gaming, videos etc., then full-range mains would serve you best.

The Behringers would have plenty down low for you, whatever sub you're considering, very likely couldn't outperform the Behr's two 9" drivers in a ported cabinets. Plus, the discontinuity of a 3 piece sub/sat rig near-field is significant. You're certainly welcome to do as you wish, however these suggestions are not arrived at merely off the cuff. I'm certainly not the brightest AVS'r around, but I do have decades in and around audio both professionally and at home. And with regard to desktop audio,... been there done that, .... the 2.1 subs are largely garbage. Even the one's that truly excel (never seen a really good one, but there out there), it would be nearly impossible to integrate them properly to achieve anything close to what one could easily get with normal two channel full-range speakers due to the application distance.

Here, is the frequency response of a Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 system at normal near-field conditions for desktop application.

Notice the total lack of any output squarely in the heart of the impact range, additionally, the unacceptable ragged response,....which is even more unbelievable because near-field response should be much smoother than this. I took distortion measurements of the sub as well and they were the highest levels of THD I've ever seen.

Oftentimes individuals utilize a 2.1 sub sat combo with desktop computers. I've had many sets myself. However, once one experiences normal desktop usage with high resolution, wide-bandwidth response, that possesses a coherent presentation top to bottom, they'll never go back to the typical BS that is the 3 piece computer genre of speakers.

Good luck
LL

post #9 of 12 Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 PM

Liked: 10
I got my Son a pair AV40's for Christmas to use on his computer. Uses these for gaming, watching movies and music and he loves them. I have not listened to them much but what I have heard beats the hell out of any computer speakers I heard.
Chris.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-31-2011, 10:43 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw302 View Post

I got my Son a pair AV40's for Christmas to use on his computer. Uses these for gaming, watching movies and music and he loves them. I have not listened to them much but what I have heard beats the hell out of any computer speakers I heard.
Chris.

I'm sorry, what are AV40's?

post #11 of 12 Old 12-31-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I'm sorry, what are AV40's?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioAV40.html
post #12 of 12 Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

I see, ... I can also see that with 4" LF drivers, they possess drastically less LF capability than the Behringers I recommended. Actually, the Berrys have nearly 5 times the cone area,...quite significant.

Again, this is important because integrating a sub to a near-field desktop rig if difficult at best. Therefore, the all in one two way is the superior approach. Space, that's another story,...however they're not that big.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page