Sony STR-DH500 + Jamo S 426 HCS 3 (subwoofer and cut-off frequency woes...) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if anyone had some helpful advice on how to set up this set of Jamo speakers with the Sony receiver. Specifically I'm not sure what to do with my old subwoofer. It's also a Jamo and it came with a set of tiny Jamo speakers (which I'm not using any more) many years ago. It is most similar to this one: jamo.com/na-en/products/sub-210-description/ (I have to post links like this atm, since I'm not yet allowed to post full URLs)

Here's a link to the new speakers I just got: jamo.com/na-en/products/s-426-hcs-3-description/

Clearly these aren't the most high-end speakers out there, but they're a major step up from my previous ones. Now, in theory, this set was made to be used without a subwoofer but since I still have one lying around that would go unused otherwise, I'd be stupid not to use it, right?

The STR-DH500 gives me two options for each speaker: SMALL or LARGE. SMALL will cut off the low frequencies and send them to the subwoofer, LARGE will send the full signal to the speaker in question. I set the two front speakers to LARGE and the center as well as the two surround speakers to SMALL. Does this sound like the right thing to do? It seems like if I DON'T have the subwoofer hooked up it would be wiser to just have them all set to LARGE, correct?

The subwoofer itself also has a cut-off knob that goes from 70 hz to 200 hz. With my old set of speakers I had this at 200 hz, which was definitely necessary. With the new ones I'm unsure. To add to the confusion, I can set the crossover frequency on the receiver itself from 40 hz to 160 hz (but this will naturally only affect the signal sent from the SMALL speakers to the subwoofer). Any advice?

As you can probably tell, I'm mostly conflicted about whether to use the subwoofer at all and how this decision influences the settings for the individual speakers on my receiver (and the cut-off frequency on the subwoofer).

Any advice will be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Run the speakers SMALL in your receiver with a crossover setting of 80-100 hz. Keep the subwoofers crossover knob at its highest point.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
Naim Nait XS-2, Jolida FX Tube DAC, Integra DTR-40.2, 55" Panasonic Plasma
post #3 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

Run the speakers SMALL in your receiver with a crossover setting of 80-100 hz. Keep the subwoofers crossover knob at its highest point.

Thanks for the input.

You'd run them all SMALL? Despite the size and frequency range of the two front speakers (down to 48 hz in theory)? How come?

I'm gonna leave the cut-off on the sub how it is then and I'll definitely be testing these settings tonight and see how I like them.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I would run the fronts small. While they might have specs down that far, my bet is that they won't play those low frequencies as well as your sub would. There aren't too many speakers that should be played full range. Not to mention that the receiver you have isn't built with the right amps and power supply to handle the demands of those lower frequencies to be pushed to the speakers.

post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

Yes, I would run the fronts small. While they might have specs down that far, my bet is that they won't play those low frequencies as well as your sub would. There aren't too many speakers that should be played full range. Not to mention that the receiver you have isn't built with the right amps and power supply to handle the demands of those lower frequencies to be pushed to the speakers.

Gotcha.

But by setting the crossover as low as 80 - 100 hz I'm probably losing something on the surround and center speakers, no? Because if it was just for them I'd set the crossover at 160, considering how much smaller they are. Shame it's a global setting and can't be changed for each speaker separately. I suppose this is probably the best compromise though since I don't wanna shave off more of the front speakers' bottom, yeah?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarosh View Post

Gotcha.

But by setting the crossover as low as 80 - 100 hz I'm probably losing something on the surround and center speakers, no? Because if it was just for them I'd set the crossover at 160, considering how much smaller they are. Shame it's a global setting and can't be changed for each speaker separately. I suppose this is probably the best compromise though since I don't wanna shave off more of the front speakers' bottom, yeah?

the lower the crossover, meaning closer to 40 hz, add bass to the speakers, fronts, center, surrounds, the higher the crossover, closer to 120 hz, the more the bass is directed to subwoofer. 80 hz is what THX recommends, and should be fine with the setup that you have. However you may like it a little higher up, closer to 100 hz. Personally, you have to kinda hear it to know what you like. I think 80 is where you should start and then go from there.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

cool. thanks for the advice!

i just tested with 90 and all speakers set to SMALL. sounds good like this, better than before. i think it's more about finding the right setting for the volume knob on the subwoofer from here on out
post #8 of 8 Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarosh View Post

cool. thanks for the advice!

i just tested with 90 and all speakers set to SMALL. sounds good like this, better than before. i think it's more about finding the right setting for the volume knob on the subwoofer from here on out

Yes, that is right.

The thing is that you should be using the filter on the subwoofer OR the fliter in the receiver, but not BOTH!

Since you have both, the best thing to do is to basically disable the subwoofer filter by setting it to 200, which will allow everything in that the receiver sends to it, and then control the crossover frequency with the receiver filter setting.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Sony Str Dh500 5 1 Channel A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Dh500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page