Help with Sunfire CRS-3...replace or amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Sunfire CRS-3 in my HT, mainly due to size constraints. The room itself is 15x20x9 but the door entering the room is right at the front wall near the screen requiring very shallow floor standing speakers or on walls. I went with Sunfire at the time because I was rushed and they were small. They are great speakers but I have never really been "wowed" by them while watching movies.

I think they are definitely underpowered, only getting 140watts each. But before I get an amp, I have to ask will it matter? These are small speakers with small woofers and even getting 300-400 watts it seems like they would struggle putting out big theater sound. So my question is can anyone recommend speakers that are very shallow or wall mounted that have a real presence and can throw sound at me...or can anyone recommend a good two or three channel amp for my front stage? Or maybe both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-28-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
What are you using for a sub and what is the crossover ? I find my CRM-2 to be excellent in terms of both dynamics and SPL but a proper sub or two that plays flat to 100 Hz and low down to 20 Hz is required for almost any speaker system to sound theater-like. Sunfire subs are not a good match IMHO. Something liike an SVS PB-13 ultra, Oulaw LFM-1 EX, HSU VTF-3 or higher etc.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-29-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 16
I use mine with the Sunfire 400 amp it was probably designed to go along with the CR3s. I also use the Sunfire CR Bipoles as surrounds. Together they get impressively loud. You can find some of the TGA 400 amps for reasonable cost on the used market. But I would agree they need more than 140 watts to show what they've got.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page