Upgrade-itis (Aperion Verus Grand or....) - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I currently have a SVS SCS-02 system. Generally happy with it, but I notice that with movies (along with TV 100% of my use) dialogue can be a bit hard to understand, espcially at low-mid volumes - which is 100% of my listening owing to a light sleeping toddler.

My impression is that this is the limit of a $200 speaker, so I have decided to upgrade.

I think I'm settling on the Aperion Verus Grand Center ($699/ea) and Bookshelves ($299/ea) with the idea of adding towers when I move to a new place.

Before I pulled the trigger, does anyone have other suggestions for alternatives I should consider, or any adive pro/con on what I'm proposing to do?

TIA

rest of setup:

Pioneer SC-35
SVS PC12 NSB
SVS SSS-02 for surrounds

room 15x12x12

purley movies/HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Give the Emotiva 6.2 some consideration. They are on clearance right now for $200. They sound fantastic being pushed by my Onkyo 809. I have no doubt the SC-35 can push these as well. For what it's worth, The Verus Grands were on my short list of speakers to try, but once I got the Emotivas set up, they were not going back.
post #3 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The verus grand line is very nice . I do not have any experience with the svs that you have but I suspect you will like the aperions.

The 30 day trial would allow you to give then a try and compare directly with your current setup
post #4 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would really suggest the Boston Acoustics VS-260 Bookshelves and VS-325C center. Trust me, you will get blown away with how good they sound. If you like neutral sound get those. Soundstage and clarity is phenomenal for the price. Each speaker has its own serial number to make sure they match. For the clearance price of $250 each for bookshelves and $350 for center is a no brain-er. I bought them and I can't imagine a speaker sounding better than these do.

Skip the Aperion and buy the Bostons you wont regret it.
post #5 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomchess View Post

I would really suggest the Boston Acoustics VS-260 Bookshelves and VS-325C center. Trust me, you will get blown away with how good they sound. If you like neutral sound get those. Soundstage and clarity is phenomenal for the price. Each speaker has its own serial number to make sure they match. For the clearance price of $250 each for bookshelves and $350 for center is a no brain-er. I bought them and I can't imagine a speaker sounding better than these do.

I completely disagree, and if you don't like the Aperions then you can return them and it cost you nothing.

Close your eyes and hear the truth!
post #6 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 04:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

... I bought them and I can't imagine a speaker sounding better than these do.

Really???
darthray likes this.
post #7 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post

I currently have a SVS SCS-02 system. Generally happy with it, but I notice that with movies (along with TV 100% of my use) dialogue can be a bot hard to understand, expeically at low-mid volumes - which is 100% of my listening owing to a light sleeping toddler.

My impression is that this is the limit of a $200 speaker, so I have decided to upgrade.

I think I'm settling on the Aperion Verus Grand Center ($699/ea) and Bookshelves ($299/ea) with the idea of adding towers when I move to a new place

Before I pulled the rigger, does anyone have other suggestions for alternatives I should consider, or any adive pro/con on what I'm proposing to do?

TIA

rest of setup:

Pioneer SC-35
SVS PC12 NSB

room 15x12x12

purley movies/HT

How long ago did you buy the S series? SVS has 100% trade in value the first year. I would put the M series SVS up against the Aperion you are looking at.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #8 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the repies thus far.

joeyvaz: I looked at the emotiva site, but it appears they are now 'clearance' priced; hence, there is no "try at home" period which makes me a little afraid.

phantom: I am looking to see if there is a way for me to demo the Boston's you mentioned

LowellG: I considered the MCS, but given I wasn't totally satisfied with the SCS (I do love the pc12 sub from them) I was a little gun-shy abpout trying SVS again.

So I also have a bunch of Best Buy cards post christmas, and wasa thinking about the B&W 685 bookshelves along with the HTM-61 center. The cost is roughly the same as the Aperion Verus. I'm going to go "demo" the B&W but given the Magnolia room will be totally differrent than my non-treated family room, I'm not sure how much it will help.

Anyone have thought on the B&W versus the Aperion as well as any other suggestions to throw in the mix?

again, thanks
post #9 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:

phantom: I am looking to see if there is a way for me to demo the Boston's you mentioned
Anyone have thought on the B&W versus the Aperion as well as any other suggestions to throw in the mix?

It is hard to audition the Boston - however, I also reccomend them.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #10 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:

Thanks for the repies thus far.

So I also have a bunch of Best Buy cards post christmas, and wasa thinking about the B&W 685 bookshelves along with the HTM-61 center. The cost is roughly the same as the Aperion Verus. I'm going to go "demo" the B&W but given the Magnolia room will be totally differrent than my non-treated family room, I'm not sure how much it will help.

again, thanks

Can't say about the Aperions, but I did demo the B&W 684 and 683 towers and they were fantastic for music, but needed a LOT of power for HT and the center wasn't that great.

For HT I was most impressed with Klipsch. They really do HT right IMO. Very dynamic, loud, detailed etc... Didn't care for them that much for music though.

Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #11 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

the more I read about the Boston VS series, the more they appeal to me (esp at those prices)

One of my main concerns is, with the towers being discontinued, if/when I move to a bigger house I'm a little limited. ie I can't simply flip the bookshelves to the back and buy towers (as I could with the B&W and Aperion)

On the other hand, these really do seem to be a great price on closeout, so maybe it is worth it just to at least demo them from vann's and if they are great keep them while they are "up to the task"

So I think I'm going to try to decide b/w B&W 685 v. BA VS series v. Aperion Verus Grand
post #12 of 59 Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Hsu makes some very good speakers as well. Their center channel is great with dialogue and their HB-1 bookshelves are better than more than a few towers I've listened to. They have a 30 return policy as well minus return shipping. Look around on here and you'll see I'm not the only fan of these speakers.

http://hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html
post #13 of 59 Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 79
No experience with the BA series but I have three 685s in my second system which are very good. I had the Grand Verus Towers and center in my main system for a home trial and thought they were incredible for the money. Very laid back, no listener fatigue ever. IMO the tweeters in the 685s are better then the Verus (and also my current Kef XQ40s) but overall I would not hesitate to recommend the Aperion. Have not heard a lot of good press on the 600 series centers for HT.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #14 of 59 Old 01-03-2012, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
For what it's worth, I was in the same position and looking for a great 3.1 setup. I had a depth restriction of 10" or less for the bookshelves and ended up opting for the following setup:
  • Verus Grand Bookshelves
  • Verus Forte Center
  • Rythmik D15SE sub

Unfortunately, the Grand bookshelves don't ship until the 5th and I'll be leaving for CES on Sun. Once I get back, I'll be sure to post some feedback.

Given the 30-day window to try them and the absolutely stellar reviews, I don't think you can go wrong with the Aperion Verus Grands.
darthray likes this.
post #15 of 59 Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 AM

I would probably go with the Aperions if you HAD to pull the trigger now.

You should look on Audiogon for a used set. You will get more for your money. Narrow down what you want and look on the site.
post #16 of 59 Old 01-03-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks everyone for the replies.

I pulled the trigger on B-stock Aperion Verus Grnad bookshelves and center today, and will give them the 30 day trial.

With free shipping both ways, figure its a "can't lose"
post #17 of 59 Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I pulled the trigger on B-stock Aperion Verus Grnad bookshelves and center today, and will give them the 30 day trial.

Good Luck

post #18 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

Good Luck

Thanks - my fear of not being able to find matching towers a year from now (when we're planning to move) is the only thing that stopped me from trying the Boston's.

Even still I'm tempted to order the bookshelves from Vann'd and try them out.
post #19 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

What is your experience and what have you compared them to? Sounds to me like you haven't heard much
post #20 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 239
NHT also offers the free 30 day in home free trial. I would recommend the NHT Absolute Zero.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/n...-labs-measures

Another one is the new KEF Q series.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/k...speaker-system

3 people I've talked to who have auditioned the Aperion says they are good speakers, but not great. They have nice measurements on HTM & Audioholic, but they just didn't sound that great.

One person said the Zu Audio speakers sounded much better even though they measured much, much worse than the Aperion.

One person auditioned the DefTech BP7001SC and absolutely love them. So he returned the Aperion Grand towers and bought the DefTech.

One person said the Salk speakers sounded so much better than the Aperion Grand.

AUTHORIZED RBH DEALER
RBH SX-T2/R (5) . DENON AVP-A1HD . ATI 3005/3002/2004
post #21 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

NHT also offers the free 30 day in home free trial. I would recommend the NHT Absolute Zero.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/n...-labs-measures

Another one is the new KEF Q series.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/k...speaker-system

3 people I've talked to who have auditioned the Aperion says they are good speakers, but not great. They have nice measurements on HTM & Audioholic, but they just didn't sound that great.

One person said the Zu Audio speakers sounded much better even though they measured much, much worse than the Aperion.

One person auditioned the DefTech BP7001SC and absolutely love them. So he returned the Aperion Grand towers and bought the DefTech.

One person said the Salk speakers sounded so much better than the Aperion Grand.

Just goes to show that everyone has their own taste in sound. For editors who typically hear a pretty wide variety of products, they seem pretty damn impressed with the Aperion Verus Grand products. Take advantage of the 30-day audition and let your own ears decide.

"Pristine Fidelity" - Audioholics review of the Grand Bookshelf

"...possessing ample amounts of audiophile goodness that should make any enthusiast happy" - Home Theater Review's review of the Grand Bookshelf
post #22 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I spent about 90 minutes watching various movies on the B&W 685 with the 61 center at a local audio store. I don't claim to be a audiophile and clearly don't have a distinguished ear, but having said that I was hard pressed to tell the differrence b/w the B&W and my current SVS setup.

so anyway (in case anyone cares) my current status is:
- placed an order for the verus grand bookshelves and verus grand center, and will give them the 30 day trial
- thinking about the atlantic technology 4400 series if I can find a way to demo them without shipping costs (I'd be paying both ways, which could be a little pricey)
- come close every day to placing an order for the Boston Acoustic VS 260 and 325 series.

Jim: can I ask, have you heard the Boston's in a 2 channel environment or in a HT setup, and if the latter what were your impressions?

AcuDefTechGuy: the Kef's are a little out of my price range. by the way - its neither here nor there - but I saw your comments at Audioholics underneith the Verus Bookshelf review.

TIA all.
post #23 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will be interested to hear what you think of the Aperion's compared to the others you have heard.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #24 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Jim: can I ask, have you heard the Boston's in a 2 channel environment or in a HT setup, and if the latter what were your impressions?

I listen to the Boston speakers both ways - they are very good with
both. They are very transparant and dynamic - with very good detail,
definition and depth. The soundstage is really good for home theater
and music - and the Boston VS 260 can take a lot of power.

post #25 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Madhuski - not sure if you meant to ask me that but I have not heard any recent Boston Acoustic speakers. Regarding the Grand Verus, I thought they were best with music (2 or multi-channel), I enjoyed going through a lot of my collection and added some new CDs while I had them. HT was good but i feel both my previous and current Kef systems seemed better in that regard.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #26 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Madhuski - not sure if you meant to ask me that but I have not heard any recent Boston Acoustic speakers. Regarding the Grand Verus, I thought they were best with music (2 or multi-channel), I enjoyed going through a lot of my collection and added some new CDs while I had them. HT was good but i feel both my previous and current Kef systems seemed better in that regard.

whoops! sorry, no that was directed at the other jim. I suppose I should have stuck to his screen name....
post #27 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I wonder who that person is?
post #28 of 59 Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I ordered the Boston bookshelves/Center from Vanns. I'll compare them to the Aperions and may the best man win. If this thread is still alive in a afew weeks I'll post my impressions.

Cheers all!
post #29 of 59 Old 01-05-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

Well, I ordered the Boston bookshelves/Center from Vanns. I'll compare them to the Aperions and may the best man win. If this thread is still alive in a afew weeks I'll post my impressions.

Cheers all!

Your going about it the right way...IMO. I'd be curious to read your impressions once you've compared the two. After reading other members grumbling with respect to the Aperions lack of resolution or mid range...maybe you could shed some light...

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #30 of 59 Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Cheers all!

I will definitely be interested in your thoughts.

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page