Portable Bluetooth Speaker - which one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I put this somewhere else on here, but thought maybe it belonged here...

The Mrs. and I really want a portable speaker to take with us camping, use in the boat to stream satellite and for music in the kitchen, too. I like the idea of being able to control the music from my phone (samsung mesmerize) via bluetooth. Budget is about $250... can I get a decent one for that? Will it sound the same over the bluetooth or should I forget about that idea? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This is a good option, given that the uses you describe suggest you don't want anything too large or heavy:

Logitech Wireless Boombox - the version without the dock.

It says for iPhone but should work with any Bluetooth device. (Or so the box says.) Given that you're talking about using it in a non-controlled listening environment (that is, you're not going to be inside, in a quiet room) - the convenience of Bluetooth should outweigh the small loss in quality.

Amazon listing has some alternatives listed, and user comments.
post #3 of 38 Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Bose Soundlink, I bought one and I'm amazed everytime I turn it on.
post #4 of 38 Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

I saw the bose and that was the first time I noticed the bluetooth capabilities... I know generally speaking, folks on here are anti bose... wasn't sure if there was something else. Jambox is a possibility and so is the logitech listed... was hoping there was a "consensus" on here about which was best... thanks for the suggestions.
post #5 of 38 Old 01-04-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I bought my wife one for Christmas. She wanted something small and portable. I found the Monster iClarityHD on Amazon in silver for $50 shipped, black was $100. I always avoid Monster, but it seemed like a good enough deal. It comes with a built-in rechargeable battery pack and is charged using micro-usb. I can control the music via the phone and it also seems to allow volume control even though the instructions say otherwise. You can also use it as a speakerphone. It says 5 hour playtime per charge with a 3 hour charge time.

I see the silver is now out of stock and is no longer $50 so I'm not sure I'd consider it for the current Amazon listed price. For $50 I'd say it is worth it.

post #6 of 38 Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Really good reviews on the Logitech...sounds like that is what I'm looking for. Like the price too.
post #7 of 38 Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 AM

I had a Logitech BT Speaker. It was rechargeable and very portable. The sound was what you expect from a portable speaker - but better than a laptop. Sub hundred from EBay new.
post #8 of 38 Old 01-04-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

The Logitech talks mostly about using Iphone/Ipad, etc. Will it connect with my Droid system (samsung mesmerize)?
post #9 of 38 Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Liked: 11
Slightly OT, but how does sound quality of Bluetooth compare to AirPlay? I'd think AirPlay would be less compressed and sound a little better, though that may not matter with an inexpensive speaker like is being discussed here. I can see where Bluetooth would be great for traveling or camping, but AirPlay may be superior for home use. The other issue is that AirPlay speaker docks or more expensive than Bluetooth ones.
post #10 of 38 Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood-guy View Post

I saw the bose and that was the first time I noticed the bluetooth capabilities... I know generally speaking, folks on here are anti bose... wasn't sure if there was something else. Jambox is a possibility and so is the logitech listed... was hoping there was a "consensus" on here about which was best... thanks for the suggestions.

Go out and use your own ears to make your buying decision and don't rely so much on the opinions of others. I've seen so much bad advice given on these forums based on "my friend heard this" or just on unfounded bias for or against a particular product. Go out, have some fun and audition different units then make your decision, it's your money don't let other people tell you how to spend it.
post #11 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

The boss just told me she wants radio too!! do they come with radio AND bluetooth?
post #12 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Tell her that radio is obsolete and to use Pandora or Slacker instead.

post #13 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Tell her that radio is obsolete and to use Pandora or Slacker instead.

That's what I already said about the whole radio thing...thought that streaming satellite was a great idea!!
post #14 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, why would I need a radio???? With apps like "tunein radio" I can select most radio stations (local or otherwise) and listen to them as much or as little as I like!! am I missing something ????
post #15 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood-guy View Post

Actually, why would I need a radio???? With apps like "tunein radio" I can select most radio stations (local or otherwise) and listen to them as much or as little as I like!! am I missing something ????

That's what I was saying. Anything that can play audio on your phone can stream that audio to a bluetooth speaker.

post #16 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 12:00 PM

The version of Logitech BT Speaker I had was a AT&T unit made for some cell phone. Worked flawlessly with my Blackberry Storm.
post #17 of 38 Old 01-05-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the help. Guess I need to go out and start listening now!
post #18 of 38 Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Very impressed with the sound of the Logitech... bluetooth is very nice and super easy to set up. Streaming satellite radio is excellent... couldn't be happier with my choice... plus it was on sale for $129 and with my $35 worth of reward zone points at bestbuy, I was out the door for $100... very satisfied so far!! Thanks again for the help.
post #19 of 38 Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
post #20 of 38 Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 PM

This is not an indepth review, and it is just my opinion, and I see this thread is a little old. That said I bought the Logitech boombox and I hate it. I see a ton of great reviews, both user and websites but imho they are quite bright, to the point at which it hurts my ears. Plus when you use battery mid and low end is decreased making the brightness problem worse. I even went to the point of taping paper over the tweeters, which helped, but overall I found the sound quality to be poor. Not a pro review, just my two cents, but you can buy this device from target, ect, so I would recommend if you want one, make sure you can take it back.
post #21 of 38 Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 AM

Hey guys, I've done some extensive writing on Bluetooth speakers and have two articles that could be of great use here.

This first is a Portable Speaker Buyer's Guide just to shake down a number of things to consider when you're looking for a portable speaker.

This other piece I wrote is an extensive piece that goes into great depth on Characteristics of Wireless Portable Speakers.

Hope either of those are helpful. We've also done a number of portable speaker comparisons which are super useful to see how products stack up side by side.
post #22 of 38 Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 AM

Liked: 16
I'm thinking of buying an Eton Rukus XL: http://www.amazon.com/Eton-Portable-Wireless-Smartphone-Charging/dp/B00BUHXQWQ/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370973547&sr=1-11&keywords=eton+solar

I like the idea of being able to use it all day long outdoors because of the solar charging. If anybody has already gotten one, I hope they will start an official owners' thread, and comment on the sound quality.

Also, I've never used Bluetooth to play audio. All my files are FLAC, and I have this feeling Bluetooth is going to compromise the audio quality too much? Any general comments on that?
post #23 of 38 Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Interesting product, I like the built in solar charger.

After buying and returning several portable bluetooth speakers I wouldn't consider anything that doesn't support aptX. There are many good speakers but IMO bluetooth ruins them. That said, most portable solutions also include 3 mm out headphone interface from a portable audio device. I own both the Braven 650 with aptX support, which I really like, and Beacon Audio Phoenix (non aptX but rugged). The Braven I would recommend, although you can expect more like 12 hours of battery life rather than the claimed 20.
Goes to 11 likes this.

post #24 of 38 Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Nethawk.

Currently when I'm outdoors I'm using a Squeezebox Duet connected to a decent pair of computer speakers with 3.5 mm cable, all plugged into AC for power. I'm happy. The problem is, whenever I'm not home spouse runs into some problem. (I have to admit the Duet is a little finicky--maybe a lot--and is a legacy product, anyway.) So, looking to cut all the cords, make life easy, but still be satisfied with the audio quality.
post #25 of 38 Old 06-11-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
post #26 of 38 Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks Chevypower. I bet the Klipsch sounds fantastic, but 8 D cells is turning me off. Sounds like a money pit, and for the sake of convenience, I want to cut the cord.
post #27 of 38 Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Yeah fair enough, I would still get it and buy 8 x 10,000 mAh rechargeables. According to my calculation 12v/130w = 11A, which should give you about 7 hours of play time.

Just something to consider.

http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-000mAh-Capacity-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001AYIRH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370984607&sr=8-1&keywords=rechargeable+batteries+D+cell

Yeah you would have to take them out to charge them. I was looking hard to find a good portable Bluetooth system with Apt-x. I found the press release for the Klipsch a few months before it came out and thought it looked promising. I couldn't find anything else that came close. The reviews seem to confirm it.
post #28 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

After buying and returning several portable bluetooth speakers I wouldn't consider anything that doesn't support aptX.

Thanks. I take it that Apt-X and A2DP are not related? I think I fried the Logitech Duet yesterday using it with the sun beating on it. I might try one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Britelink-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Portable/dp/B0059M4G9K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

with my powered speakers, a cheap way to see what I think of this Bluetooth business before spending big $ on a speaker.
post #29 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
^^^ A2DP is the standard that defines audio streaming across Bluetooth, aptX is a codec.

post #30 of 38 Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Thanks. I've been doing some Googling, and kind of had that figured out. It looks like my wife's Google Nexus 7, which is going to be the source for now, doesn't do aptX. So I think I'm going to give the Britelink cheapo device a try. For outdoor casual listening it might be good enough.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page