$300 dollars to spend on speakers(HK 3490 driven) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have recently sold my iPod touch 4g for $150.

I told myself from the beginning all the profits would go towards something fun. So being that I have the audio bug, I want to put the money towards new speakers.

I now have $300 to spend on speakers.

Keeping in mind they will be driven by a Harman Kardon 3490, and will be for music only, what speakers would you recommend I look at?

-Connor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanatorx View Post

I have recently sold my iPod touch 4g for $150.

I told myself from the beginning all the profits would go towards something fun. So being that I have the audio bug, I want to put the money towards new speakers.

I now have $300 to spend on speakers.

Keeping in mind they will be driven by a Harman Kardon 3490, and will be for music only, what speakers would you recommend I look at?

-Connor

Cambridge. S30s.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

I should also mention I am not afraid to go refurbished.
post #4 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Energy RC-10s. I have a pair in a 2.1 setup driven by an HK 3390.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Cambridge. S30s.

X2

and look at this NHT
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....9;s-like-new-g

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses so far.

Those RC-10's look pretty nice. How are you liking them?
post #7 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the responses so far.

Those RC-10's look pretty nice. How are you liking them?

I love them. I use them for near field listening in a PC setup. And I personally prefer them to the Cambridge Audio S30s, which I also own a pair of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #8 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
audiogon/ pair of jamo c803's wants$350 obo offer $300 great speakers.had apair a few years ago. great bass. to bad the ex ended up with them

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #9 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

post #10 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I love them. I use them for near field listening in a PC setup. And I personally prefer them to the Cambridge Audio S30s, which I also own a pair of.

If the op can still get em on sale than my votes go to the rc's

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #11 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thoughts on these: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

I've had the hb1s, s30s, and the rc 10s. Loved the hsu's for ht usage. S30s were great as 2 channel music. Rc 10s were the ultimate compromise. (Opinions) also none of them were "broken in" yet when I tested them

post #12 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Would it help if I mentioned the type of music I like, and my source?

If so, I like all types of rock(classic, new era etc.), and I like rap and hip hop of all kinds-im 19 cut me some slack .

I will primarily be using my iPhone as my source(downloaded music and Pandora Radio), I will eventually get a decent CD player.

I also already have a subwoofer.
post #13 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would it help if I mentioned the type of music I like, and my source?

If so, I like all types of rock(classic, new era etc.), and I like rap and hip hop of all kinds-im 19 cut me some slack .

I will primarily be using my iPhone as my source(downloaded music and Pandora Radio), I will eventually get a decent CD player.

I also already have a subwoofer.

If you like to listen to music a lot with a touch of movies id recommend the rc 10s. Either way though all 3 are great and you can't go wrong with either. I honestly wanted to keep all 3 sets (pairs) but waf wouldn't agree. Ended up selling the hb1s and moved the s30s to a computer 2.1 set up

post #14 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

If you like to listen to music a lot with a touch of movies id recommend the rc 10s. Either way though all 3 are great and you can't go wrong with either. I honestly wanted to keep all 3 sets (pairs) but waf wouldn't agree. Ended up selling the hb1s and moved the s30s to a computer 2.1 set up

Gotcha.

Just so you know, this system is for music only, as it's going to be the stereo system for a home gym.

Which is why I am leaning towards the HB-1 slightly. I need big sound, as the basement is around 2000 square feet, all open.

I don't want floor standers due to price and size.

I currently have some Polk RTi4's, and they aren't cutting it(granted they were $150).
post #15 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Gotcha.

Just so you know, this system is for music only, as it's going to be the stereo system for a home gym.

Which is why I am leaning towards the HB-1 slightly. I need big sound, as the basement is around 2000 square feet, all open.

I currently have some Polk RTi4's, and they aren't cutting it(granted they were $150).

The Behringer B2030P did very well in this Audioholics budget speaker shootout: "Performed well in a large room . . ." The bigger model, the Behringer TRUTH B2031P, falls within your budget, has an 8 3/4" driver, and is 150 watts at 4 ohms. They have slot ports in front, so you can hang them right up against a wall. Might be worth adding them to your list with the HB-1s.

post #16 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

Gotcha.

What's your issue with e Polk RTi4's if it's lack of bass I would add a subwoofer for $300
post #17 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 536
I have run some Hsu HB-1s and some Behringer 2031p monitors with the HK 3490, both were terrific. If you aren't going to use a subwoofer, either are ideal since they both have pretty good bass for bookshelf speakers, we are talking very good output down to 60 hz. I think the Behringers were a bit more detailed, but if you wanted to run the speakers at louder volumes, I think I would trust the Hsu speakers more, since I have blasted them so hard, and they have rocked high volumes like a champ. Also, they can run with any receiver which furthers their usefulness, whereas the 4 ohm Behringers would work with the HK 3490, but I wouldn't run that load on any entry or mid level receiver. Still, I think you would be very pleased with either speaker.
post #18 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

The Behringer B2030P did very well in this Audioholics budget speaker shootout: "Performed well in a large room . . ." The bigger model, the Behringer TRUTH B2031P, falls within your budget, has an 8 3/4" driver, and is 150 watts at 4 ohms. They have slot ports in front, so you can hang them right up against a wall. Might be worth adding them to your list with the HB-1s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

What's your issue with e Polk RTi4's if it's lack of bass I would add a subwoofer for $300

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I have run some Hsu HB-1s and some Behringer 2031p monitors with the HK 3490, both were terrific. If you aren't going to use a subwoofer, either are ideal since they both have pretty good bass for bookshelf speakers, we are talking very good output down to 60 hz. I think the Behringers were a bit more detailed, but if you wanted to run the speakers at louder volumes, I think I would trust the Hsu speakers more, since I have blasted them so hard, and they have rocked high volumes like a champ. Also, they can run with any receiver which furthers their usefulness, whereas the 4 ohm Behringers would work with the HK 3490, but I wouldn't run that load on any entry or mid level receiver. Still, I think you would be very pleased with either speaker.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

@Crazyrob- There is nothing wrong with the Polk's, but I know I can do better. I recently returned my Pioneer VSX-821-K, and bought the HK 3490. I figured I might as well upgrade the speakers(selling the iPod had a big sway).

After doing some more research, the Energy RC-10's may be in the lead. They have great reviews, look like they can handle power, and are aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Edit: I have, and will be using a sub.
post #19 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:

Gotcha.

I hate to say this, but the only one of those speakers that has a chance of filling a 2000 sq ft basement is the HSU's. In my opinion, even the HSU's dont have much of a chance filling that room with decent sound. If you just want some light background music they should be fine. But if your trying to "rock out" for parties or while working out they are not gonna cut it. I have both the HSU's and the Energys, they are probably only great sounding in about up to a 500-600 sq ft room...thats just my experience though.
post #20 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixonrsx View Post

I hate to say this, but the only one of those speakers that has a chance of filling a 2000 sq ft basement is the HSU's. In my opinion, even the HSU's dont have much of a chance filling that room with decent sound. If you just want some light background music they should be fine. But if your trying to "rock out" for parties or while working out they are not gonna cut it. I have both the HSU's and the Energys, they are probably only great sounding in about up to a 500-600 sq ft room...thats just my experience though.

First off, what are you powering the RC-10's with?

Also, the actual weight room is prob around 700 sq ft, but the basement is mostly open.
post #21 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:

First off, what are you powering the RC-10's with?

Also, the actual weight room is prob around 700 sq ft, but the basement is mostly open.

700 sqft if more doable, but its still open. I have powered all the speakers with either a Emotiva UPA-2 amp or the same HK 3490 you will be using, so they are getting all the power they can take. The HSU's in my opinion will play louder however.
post #22 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

700 sqft if more doable, but its still open. I have powered all the speakers with either a Emotiva UPA-2 amp or the same HK 3490 you will be using, so they are getting all the power they can take. The HSU's in my opinion will play louder however.

Gotcha.

While I still have you here, are you familiar with the Energy V-5.1?

How does it compare to the RC-10?

I ask because it can be obtained for a little more money.
post #23 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:

Gotcha.

While I still have you here, are you familiar with the Energy V-5.1?

How does it compare to the RC-10?

I ask because it can be obtained for a little more money.

I have not heard them in person, but they are just meant to be a more refined version of the RC-10's, and reviews seem to be very good. But to be honest and not sound rude, its just a matter or physics, they both the 5 1/4" woofers and its just not gonna have the sheer output to fill big rooms. I would look for something with higher sensitivity, 94 or above. I know you said you dont want towers but for your situation its gonna work out better I think, and it seems like you have the room. I would check out craigslist for some heritage Klipsch speakers. Maybe the KG series or some small Herseys would be a great fit. Where are you located?
post #24 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have not heard them in person, but they are just meant to be a more refined version of the RC-10's, and reviews seem to be very good. But to be honest and not sound rude, its just a matter or physics, they both the 5 1/4" woofers and its just not gonna have the sheer output to fill big rooms. I would look for something with higher sensitivity, 94 or above. I know you said you dont want towers but for your situation its gonna work out better I think, and it seems like you have the room. I would check out craigslist for some heritage Klipsch speakers. Maybe the KG series or some small Herseys would be a great fit. Where are you located?

West Chester, Pennsylvania

I also am reluctant to buy towers for two reasons:

1. More susceptible to damage in a weight room, where as bookshelves are hung, mounted etc.

2. I want to be able to move it around; take it to the pool room, set it up in my bed room etc.

I don't need deafening noise. The Polk RTi4's do an ok job, but when turned up, they become harsh and lose their sound quality. This where I hope spending more on bookshelf speakers will help.
post #25 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 PM

I would go with the HSU's then, they are very nice speakers and can do everything you are looking for. Here are what they look like all lined up next to each other.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...7&d=1274584161
post #26 of 58 Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would go with the HSU's then, they are very nice speakers and can do everything you are looking for. Here are what they look like all lined up next to each other.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...7&d=1274584161

I hear what you're saying, and I find your input invaluable.

However, the HSU unit is by no means aesthetically pleasing. As much as this 2.1 system will be used in our home gym, it will very well likely make it's way to other more well furnished rooms within our home; the Energy series will look much nicer imo.

Here is a good comparison (on paper) between the RC-10 and V-5.1:

http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...ds=43%3b343%3b

There are subtle differences, and I wouldn't have to put forth too much moolah to get the V-5.1.

Furthermore, the V-5.1 looks the nicest imo.

Regardless of the path I choose, I have no doubt all the choices will be superior to my Polks.
post #27 of 58 Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ascend acoustics cmb-170 se
post #28 of 58 Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update:

I recently got back from demoing a few bookshelf speakers at Best Buy.

*All speakers were driven by a Pioneer VSX-53. We listened to Nirvana and Led Zeppelin songs.

I listened to the Energy CB-10/20 and the Bowers and Wilkins 686/685.

At the end of my demo, it was the CB-20 vs the 685.

Me, my father, and the gentleman assisting us all thought the CB-20 sounded better than the B&W.

It sounded much crisper and clearer, and had punchy bass.

Seeing the CB-20 "do it's thing" makes me wonder how the Energy RC-10 would compare to it....
post #29 of 58 Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

Seeing the CB-20 "do it's thing" makes me wonder how the Energy RC-10 would compare to it....

Might want to read this thread. On pg2 They did a comparison of HB-1 vs RC-10 vs CB-20 vs Pio SP-BS21-LR
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1355638

Try to do a side buy side comparison with your current speakers if you can that way you can really justify the new speakers to yourself
post #30 of 58 Old 01-04-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Might want to read this thread. On pg2 They did a comparison of HB-1 vs RC-10 vs CB-20 vs Pio SP-BS21-LR
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1355638

Wasn't that thread mainly debating about tje mk1 and mk2 ? Lol

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page