Pioneer Home Theater Speaker Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, thanks for taking a look at my first post here at AVSForum. I received the Yamaha RXV471 receiver for Christmas and the next day purchased the Pioneer Floor Standing 51 speakers after much research and reading on this forum. I've got everything performing as it should be so far, and am very pleased with my first basic home theater/audio system (I'm 19). After selling my iPad2 and receiving some Christmas money I've decided that I'm ready to make another addition to the 'system'. I'm divided as to what piece of the system to purchase next, the corresponding Pioneer SW8 Subwoofer, the BS-21 Bookshelf Speakers or the SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker. Although I could purchase all of them, I'm trying to hold on to a decent portion of my money for when I head back to Fayetteville once Christmas Break is over. I live in an apartment with a few friends and I want to get the next piece of the home theater system that will make the biggest impact in my experience in a best bang for the buck scenario.

Although I have neighbors around me, I don't plan on using the subwoofer late at night or having the volume loud enough to bother them, so please don't consider that as a factor in your considerations.

Also, I've been searching for a decent pair of speaker stands to accomodate the bookshelf speakers once I get them, but haven't really found any with enough positive reviews to make the purchase.

Unfortunately I missed the sale that Newegg had today on the BS21's and I am very upset about it. They retail for $99.00 a pair and newegg had them for $49.99 + free shipping!

So let me know what you think.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

PS - I'm not trying to get any other speakers besides the ones I listed as I'm trying to stay within that budget and not worry about possible voice matching issues etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Get the center speaker if you plan to do any movie watching. I think it only retails for $79.

And then wait and see if the B21 comes on sale again.

I wouldn't get the 8" sub, save up for something better.

Afro GT
Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Get the center speaker if you plan to do any movie watching. I think it only retails for $79.

Isn't the center channel responsible for most of the spoken dialogue in the movie? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, as far as the subwoofer is concerned, what sub would you recommend?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Front L/R = FS41's $99 (Newegg)
Center = SP-C21 $79 ($55 at QVC)
Side surrounds = BS41's $89 (woot)
Rear surrounds = bs41's or bs21's ($49-89)
Sub = Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer ($179 at newegg when in stock and on sale) or BIC PL-200 ($299 shipped)

High quality (for a beginner) 7.1 system at college student prices. Would be around $500 without the better sub. That's almost what a cheap home theater in a box setup costs, and those sound like crap compared to this.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer $129

Good budget sub too.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Front L/R = FS41's $99 (Newegg)
Center = SP-C21 $79 ($55 at QVC)
Side surrounds = BS41's $89 (woot)
Rear surrounds = bs41's or bs21's ($49-89)
Sub = Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer ($179 at newegg when in stock and on sale) or BIC PL-200 ($299 shipped)

Where are you finding the BS41's/BS21's for $49-$89? I believe the center channel (SP-C21) is sold out at QVC.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

All of the Pioneer gear at those prices are sold out just about everywhere. You would have to wait and see if they come back from Newegg/woot.

The BS41's are much better than the 21s.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM

Liked: 18
I would recommend the subwoofer before the surrounds or center, I would also look at a different sub then the pioneer, as it has no power.

Ignorance is a choice
Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 AM

Best Buy still has the Pioneer bundle for $285
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe416 View Post

Best Buy still has the Pioneer bundle for $285

Yeah but i've already purchased the front FS51's for an open box price of $169

BHazard, how much better are the BS-41's than the BS-21's? Enough to justify the $40~ price difference? Keep in mind I've never had a surround sound setup before, so I probably won't be able to tell the difference between the 41's and 21's.

So far I think purchasing the center channel next is my best option since I will have something to take full control of the dialogue so the front speakers can be dedicated to other parts of the soundtrack.

Also, what speaker stands can you guys recommend for the BS21/BS41's? Something that hides the wires would be even better.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichOnesPink? View Post

While normally I think BestBuy doesn't like to take returns on open box items, perhaps you can persuade them to let you upgrade to the full set (talk to a manager, not a flunky). They can still sell the open box speakers at the open box price, and they get a bigger sale. It's worth a shot.

Then get the BIC F12 from Amazon (BTW: the PSW505 previously mentioned for Newegg is now discontinued there). It's considered by many AVS members to be one of the best values for HT for under $200.

All together, this would be a helluva setup for under $500.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 01-05-2012, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

While normally I think BestBuy doesn't like to take returns on open box items, perhaps you can persuade them to let you upgrade to the full set (talk to a manager, not a flunky). They can still sell the open box speakers at the open box price, and they get a bigger sale. It's worth a shot.

Then get the BIC F12 from Amazon (BTW: the PSW505 previously mentioned for Newegg is now discontinued there). It's considered by many AVS members to be one of the best values for HT for under $200.

All together, this would be a helluva setup for under $500.

Yeah I'm very happy with what I have so far, and am glad I purchased the FS51's, and by the way for anyone considering the Yamaha RX-V471, let me tell you that this thing is a beast. It doesn't have all the unnecessary 'features' like internet connectivity that drives the price up (I've got a PS3 that does all this for me) and is very easy to use.

The amount of information on this forum is absolutely ridiculous and I'm glad I did my research before beginning my Home Theater quest. Much like my classic car restoration, I'm sure I'm going to get hooked on this stuff and set myself up for another very expensive hobby.

I've never heard of BIC before, but I'll check it out.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BHazard, how much better are the BS-41's than the BS-21's? Enough to justify the $40~ price difference? Keep in mind I've never had a surround sound setup before, so I probably won't be able to tell the difference between the 41's and 21's.

So far I think purchasing the center channel next is my best option since I will have something to take full control of the dialogue so the front speakers can be dedicated to other parts of the soundtrack.

Also, what speaker stands can you guys recommend for the BS21/BS41's? Something that hides the wires would be even better.

Put it this way, I've replaced speakers that were $250+ a pair with the $90/pair BS-41s. It is well worth the price difference, and you would probably be able to tell a difference because of the different speaker sizes. The BS21's use a smaller woofer than the rest of those speakers (5.25" to 4"), so they wont go as deep.

Forgot about the F12. That is another awesome budget sub. The Polk is officially discontinued, but Polk still produces them for Newegg exclusively.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Put it this way, I've replaced speakers that were $250+ a pair with the $90/pair BS-41s. It is well worth the price difference, and you would probably be able to tell a difference because of the different speaker sizes. The BS21's use a smaller woofer than the rest of those speakers (5.25" to 4"), so they wont go as deep.

Forgot about the F12. That is another awesome budget sub. The Polk is officially discontinued, but Polk still produces them for Newegg exclusively.

Alright, I'll probably just wait out the surround speaker situation until the BS41's go on sale again, but I'm going to snag the center channel as soon as I go to Best Buy again as I can't find the center channel for cheaper online anywhere at the moment (QVC is sold out after offering it for $50 shipped).

Will I be able to tell a difference with the center channel with music? I suppose I'll have to run my receiver in a 5.1 stereo mode (right?), but will this dramatically hurt the soundstage or improve it?
Will the center channel assume the vocal responsibilities as it does in a movie situation?

PS - I can't wait to get back to the apartment and set all this up for my friends to hear. They're still used to my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's and they thought those were good.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:

The amount of information on this forum is absolutely ridiculous and I'm glad I did my research before beginning my Home Theater quest. Much like my classic car restoration, I'm sure I'm going to get hooked on this stuff and set myself up for another very expensive hobby.

I've never heard of BIC before, but I'll check it out.

Yep. You can get much better value for your money by doing your research and often buying online

Here's the BIC F12 owners thread from the AVS subwoofer forum. Good place to learn about it (there are almost 2300 posts) and ask questions.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! What kind of speaker stands do you guys recommend?
Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM

the floor speakers come with a decent base, four screws to mount the base to the bottom...

both are heavier then I expected...
Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochie49 View Post

the floor speakers come with a decent base, four screws to mount the base to the bottom...

both are heavier then I expected...

I actually put the 51's on the speaker stands I had the 41's on. The 51's are a lot smaller than I expected. My Acoustech towers make them look tiny.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I've got the 51's on the bases already. I'm asking about decent bookshelf stands for the 41's/21's bookshelves.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Purchased the center channel today at Best Buy

And yes, the tv is small (32"), but I plan on buying a 51" in February.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Yeah I've got the 51's on the bases already. I'm asking about decent bookshelf stands for the 41's/21's bookshelves.

Sanus stands are one of the best values.

http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-...5909559&sr=8-2

Or if you want to save some $ and are at all handy you can make your own. Lots of speaker stand plans on the internet.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Cabinguy, but I think I'm going to build my own with my dad since he welds.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:

Hey guys, thanks for taking a look at my first post here at AVSForum. I received the Yamaha RXV471 receiver for Christmas and the next day purchased the Pioneer Floor Standing 51 home theader speaker after much research and reading on this forum. I've got everything performing as it should be so far, and am very pleased with my first basic home theater/audio system (I'm 19). After selling my iPad2 and receiving some Christmas money I've decided that I'm ready to make another addition to the 'system'. I'm divided as to what piece of the system to purchase next, the corresponding Pioneer SW8 Subwoofer, the BS-21 Bookshelf Speakers or the SP-C21 Center Channel Speaker. Although I could purchase all of them, I'm trying to hold on to a decent portion of my money for when I head back to Fayetteville once Christmas Break is over. I live in an apartment with a few friends and I want to get the next piece of the home theater system that will make the biggest impact in my experience in a best bang for the buck scenario.

Although I have neighbors around me, I don't plan on using the subwoofer late at night or having the volume loud enough to bother them, so please don't consider that as a factor in your considerations.

Also, I've been searching for a decent pair of speaker stands to accomodate the bookshelf speakers once I get them, but haven't really found any with enough positive reviews to make the purchase.

Unfortunately I missed the sale that Newegg had today on the BS21's and I am very upset about it. They retail for $99.00 a pair and newegg had them for $49.99 + free shipping!

So let me know what you think.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

PS - I'm not trying to get any other speakers besides the ones I listed as I'm trying to stay within that budget and not worry about possible voice matching issues etc.

Oh, i have this problem, too. Can you help me?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkun238_hn View Post

Oh, i have this problem, too. Can you help me?

yess, i can help you, read the above thread.