post #61 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Ok, what other sites are as good or nearly as good as AG?

None?, if there are please let me know of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

Haven't had that issue. Are you logging in from a bookmark?

Yeah and it takes me here http://app.audiogon.com/

Is this right?

Thanks
Brad
post #63 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADH View Post

Yeah and it takes me here http://app.audiogon.com/

Is this right?

Thanks
Brad

Yes, that is the correct URL. AG's (January 07) blog mentions this:

Update: The upgrade is nearly complete and we’re slowing turning back on user accounts. Please be patience and your account should be accessible soon.

Update2: User accounts are now all active. Thank you for your patience.

Maybe your account was missed.

I was able to login from the previous bookmark, in fact my username and password were still stored.
post #64 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The new site still has MAJOR issues as far as I can tell. Not the least of which is the fact that a receiver I sold in 2010 just showed up on my 'MyPage' as being sold on 1/7/2012. They best not try to charge me commissions because of this crap...

I also don't see a free-text search field (used to be at the top of the page). Is there a way to just type in a work (e.g., Rotel) and do a search?

Brad
post #65 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, that is the correct URL. AG's (January 07) blog mentions this:

Update: The upgrade is nearly complete and we're slowing turning back on user accounts. Please be patience and your account should be accessible soon.

Update2: User accounts are now all active. Thank you for your patience.

Maybe your account was missed.

I was able to login from the previous bookmark, in fact my username and password were still stored.

I will give it a few day and maybe send them an email. I dont think they have all the accounts on yet. We will see

Brad
post #66 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM
dtc

Quote:

I've been playing around with the new site, mostly on my iPad and a little on my iMac. The site has only been active for few days and is still in beta. Frankly, I like the new look and don't have any real issues. The search function does need refinement but can quickly be fine tuned with one or two additional clicks. I would expect a better search function forthcoming. No issues with speed as it as fast or faster than before.

A bit of an over reaction by many to a change. Comments, like goodbye and I'll never use AG again are knee jerk and extreme, IMO.

There is a "let us know" link on the top of the screen at AG. Seems a better place to post comments, gripes rather than on another site.

If you search on a manufacturer (e.g. Cary) do you get a long list at the end of non-Cary equipment? I would hope it was just my system, but I think it is more general. It is hard for me to believe that they released a product with such an obvious problem.

I have no problem with Beta releases. But since the original interface is not available, it is really not Beta, which implies a testing phase before release. I think they needed a little more testing before general release. One of the ideas of new UI development is to not remove options that people use. I believe that they have left off some pretty obvious features of the old system.

I did post my comments on their blog early yesterday afternoon. They are still awaiting moderator review. Unfortunately, that source of feedback seems to be broken or has very low priority. I posted the same things I did above in response to their Jan. 5 announcement. I posted there after sending them an email to which they responded to put my comments on their blog. There was no "thank you for you comments" or any such pleasantries. So, I posted. Just waiting for it to get moderator approval and actually show up on the site.

I am willing to be patient, but my first reaction is that they have a ways to go to get back to the basic functionality of the "old" interface.
post #67 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

The new site still has MAJOR issues as far as I can tell. Not the least of which is the fact that a receiver I sold in 2010 just showed up on my 'MyPage' as being sold on 1/7/2012. They best not try to charge me commissions because of this crap...

I also don't see a free-text search field (used to be at the top of the page). Is there a way to just type in a work (e.g., Rotel) and do a search?

The home page has search box at the top right. I typed in Rotel and all the for sale listings popped up. If you are looking for discussion related topics, you need to go to the forum section and search. The forum section is unchanged and apparently not integrated to the "new" site.

Check your account status, unlikely you have been charged.
post #68 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc View Post

If you search on a manufacturer (e.g. Cary) do you get a long list at the end of non-Cary equipment?

Yes, at the end of the list, all posts that mention Cary (e.g.) in the body of the post show-up. One more click will filter. When AG mentions they are working on the search function, I'm guessing this is something that will be addressed.
post #69 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

eBay works fine for me :-) So goodbye Audiogon

Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post

Uggh. I hate ebay. Between all the low-bidders and the ebay + paypal fees it is hard to make any money or worth the effort sometimes. There needs to be an ebay alternative.

Me too, can't stand the robbery there and the double fee's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADH View Post

I asked yesterday. Are you guys able to login ok?

I still cant.

Thanks
Brad

Yes, I can log in alright..On the top right hand corner it says if you're logged in or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

Ok, what other sites are as good or nearly as good as AG?

Videogon, it's free

DJoel
post #70 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a "let us know" link on the top of the screen at AG. Seems a better place to post comments, gripes rather than on another site.

Apparently they're not showing what people have been posting, I left a note last night, and it'd not there so I'm sure they're being screened or dump like a suggestion box in some hostel in the middle of nowhere.

Djoel
post #71 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 AM
dtc

Quote:

Yes, at the end of the list, all posts that mention Cary (e.g.) in the body of the post show-up. One more click will filter. When AG mentions they are working on the search function, I'm guessing this is something that will be addressed.

What one more click will get me just Cary products? I do not see that option. I want to look at Cary Multi Channel Amps, CD players and Tube Preamps, without having to do multiple clicks, scrolls and screens to view.

If they want a full context search that is a fine addition. But there needs to be a search just on product being sold. I really am not interested in a listing for Nordost cables because the poster is an authorized Cary dealer.

Hate to keep repeating, but this type of issue should have been addressed before this interface became the only one available.
post #72 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I've had no problems logging into A-gon.

As for the search function bringing up seemingly unrelated items - well - yes and no. The search function sorts the search - brings up the hits with the search object in the header line - then lists everything with the search object found in the body of the text below those items.

After playing with it for several days now I find it isn't that bad. The thing I least like is they no longer let you see recently sold items in the search results. What I do like is you can resort the columns by clicking on 'Price' 'Time left' or 'Type'. You can also elect to see only classified ads or auctions - or both.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #73 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What one more click will get me just Cary products? I do not see that option. I want to look at Cary Multi Channel Amps, CD players and Tube Preamps, without having to do multiple clicks, scrolls and screens to view.

If they want a full context search that is a fine addition. But there needs to be a search just on product being sold. I really am not interested in a listing for Nordost cables because the poster is an authorized Cary dealer.

Hate to keep repeating, but this type of issue should have been addressed before this interface became the only one available.

I agree refinement of the search function is needed and I believe this is forthcoming.

As it is now, I don't think you view ALL Carey products for sale on the same screen except in the first general search which will include all mentions.

Separately, clicking amps, CD players, multi-channel, etc. will pare down the search.

Visually and functionally, and at this stage, I think the new site is better.
post #74 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

What I do like is you can resort the columns by clicking on 'Price' 'Time left' or 'Type'. You can also elect to see only classified ads or auctions - or both.

Like those too! Nice to be able to include the auctions with classifieds.
post #75 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The home page has search box at the top right.

Mine doesn't! Is there any way you (or someone) can post a screen shot?

As for my account status, it does appear to be correct. Thanks for the response.

Brad
post #76 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I just reviewed their Help pages briefly, and I see where the Search field is supposed to be in the upper-right portion of the page. Mine, however, is not there. For now, I'm going to write it off to something that just hasn't been enabled for me yet. It appears changes are happening by the minute, as I keep seeing different things. For instance, I just noticed on a listing that they've added Facebook and Twitter icons for sharing a listing.

Update: I see the issue now. When I am not signed in, the Search box appears. When I am signed in, the Search box does NOT appear.

Brad
post #77 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
My account is also messed up. They have things that I never bought and many of the items I sold are not listed. Fortunately I took a print out of the stuff last year.

Like I said before my main complaint is that it is pathetically slow.
post #78 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM
dtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

My account is also messed up. They have things that I never bought and many of the items I sold are not listed. Fortunately I took a print out of the stuff last year.

Like I said before my main complaint is that it is pathetically slow.

It shows that I have purchased nothing, despite several purchases. It does have my feedback, but that is part of the old system.
post #79 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 PM
dtc

To get into the new website I had to change my password, since mine was less than 8 letters. I did that. However for the Forums I still have to use my old password. Looks like they linked the 2 systems but not the passwords.
post #80 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like people's post at the Let us know section are up Took a little while but all the rudeness seem to be flowing in nicely

DJoel
post #81 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 07:37 PM
dtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Looks like people's post at the Let us know section are up Took a little while but all the rudeness seem to be flowing in nicely

DJoel

My comments are still "waiting moderation". I think they are controlling comments.
post #82 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My comments are still "waiting moderation". I think they are controlling comments.

Mine as well Well mine was more of a rant than anything else!

My favorite comment so far are Rolf, and that fellow Tav, the balls on those guys

Djoel
post #83 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 PM

Looks like a third grader built the pages. Search is hosed, items missing that are supposed to be in the classified section. Just a bad attempt at something...
post #84 of 488 Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM

Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Liked: 14
They honestly are trying to sell this new BS website as something the listened to the Audiogon community on??? That is a massive crock of you know what. This new site is all about them selling ads for more revenue and having more space for more ads for more revenue and being able to police user account better for more revenue. This seems to me like a potentially golden opportunity for a site like AVS to make a few adjustments to their own "For Sale" section and grab some market share!!
post #85 of 488 Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 295
One of my biggest issues...this is totally screwing the people who have items currently listed there. One...I have 2 such items, that are listed OBO...and they only have a "buy it now" button. Two...things are so messed-up, confusing, and poorly-received...at least in the short-term...who the hell is going to be inclined to bid or buy right now?

Traffic has got to be wayyy down...if it comes back at all; and they posted on their blog they'll be extending listings by the 2 days they were down. Please...an extra month, if an item doesn't sell during this fiasco, would be in order...and the fact that they didn't volunteer, to smooth things over from a PR perspective, speaks volumes.

However...I agree; there's not really another game in town.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #86 of 488 Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I did get logged in. I use some caps when logging in. Now it only takes lower case.

Anyway I am able to login. I have an item that I sold shows sold twice. Plus it show
I owe for sell of it again. Hopefully they will get everything worked out.

Brad
post #87 of 488 Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Snip:However...I agree; there's not really another game in town.

CD

Videogon folks, videogon...

DJoel
post #88 of 488 Old 01-10-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Classic how not to do it "website upgrade". Sure cure for upgradeitis ...

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #89 of 488 Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM
dtc

This update to the website is clearly having problems. It is really easy to take shots at them over this. However, Audiogon has provided us a great service over the years. Can you image buying a $10,000 amp on e-bay? Sure, it can be done, but I am much more comfortable on Audiogon.

I too dislike the idea of more ads, but I ignore them on other sites so can do the same on Audigon. The alternative is to have them raise their rates. If I sell a used piece of equipment through my local brick and mortar store, they keep between 15% and 25%. Would you change Audiogon's percentage to stop the ads? Those who browse but never buy or sell, would probably say yes. But, for people who buy and sell, I bet most will put up the the ads.

Yes, Audigon has done a really bad job of this update. But, hopefully, they will clear up this mess in a really short time. But, it will take more than a few days. As critical as I am of this new interface, I really do want Audiogon to succeed. I like some of the things they have added. I just hope they fix the things that so many are complaining about (mine first, please). I cannot image living without them.
post #90 of 488 Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Having just recently become comfortable with selling etc. on Gon, I must say
my confidence has been shattered. My account info (history) is a mess and thats just for starters.
No excuse for this misserable fail considering the vast talent pool of code
jockeys out there!

Outsourced? BMMMMerr
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page