Bedroom setup - completely out of my league - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Just moved all the way cross-country for my new job and to celebrate I decided to upgrade from the usual 20" CRTs purchased off of Craigslist that have usually served as the "entertainment" center during my grad school years.

The current to-be setup is being restricted to my room and the items that I have in mind so far are -

1. 32" LED-LCD TV(1080p so that it can double as a monitor for debugging sessions).
2. Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable
3. Sony SS-B1000 5 1/8-Inch Bookshelf Speakers(double duty with the tv and record player)
4. XBOX360(in the near future)

I have been reading up on the speakers and from what little I have gleaned it seems that these need to be connected to an amp. Unfortunately I have no idea what sort of equipment I need/what price ranges should I be looking at. The setup is for a pretty small room(15x12feet).

Any comments/suggestions are welcome. Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask the question in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
That is a large bedroom, and it's even considered large if it was a dedicated home theater room.

That size room, you should definitely get a larger TV than a 32

Me personally, I do not like the Sony Speakers, they are about the same as getting HTiB speakers.

I suppose the Xbox will be for gaming? Or maybe some Netflix movie streaming?
What about a blu-ray player?

You are missing a receiver on your list.

Once again, that's a big room.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-05-2012, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

That is a large bedroom, and it's even considered large if it was a dedicated home theater room.

Scratch that, there were my old measurements. The new ones have just been updated in the original post.

Quote:

That size room, you should definitely get a larger TV than a 32

I personally like 32" because it fits perfectly on the entertainment table while still leaving room for the record player and some speakers. It also works perfectly for the odd debugging session when I need the screen real-estate.

Quote:

Me personally, I do not like the Sony Speakers, they are about the same as getting HTiB speakers.

Suggestions?

Quote:

I suppose the Xbox will be for gaming? Or maybe some Netflix movie streaming?
What about a blu-ray player?

Gaming + Netflix. Haven't watched a blu-ray movie in ages and don't see myself needing a player anytime soon.

Quote:

You are missing a receiver on your list.

I knew I was forgetting something essential. Do you have any particular picks/suggestions?
post #4 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sounds like your set on that size TV.

When you ask on suggestion about the speakers, are you planning to go 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 or something I didn't mention?

Get to the receiver when we find out what type of layout you plan here.

Your bedroom will be a combo computer room too?

I find this to be a weird statement Haven't watched a blu-ray movie in ages

I think the word ages is kinda funny, blu hasn't been out that long.
Also sorry to read or for me to get the understanding that you might not like exceptional picture quality and/or some fantastic lossless audio.

Also, what is the budget for what you want, not including the TV or TT.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Sounds like you need this to function as a bedroom TV, normal TV setup, and PC setup, as if it was in a studio apartment.

I would put some thought specifically into a IPS type 1080p LCD TV so you get good viewing angles. You won't want to skimp here if it will be double duty as a PC monitor.

After that I would focus on a solid 2.1 setup for audio. A nice set of "softer" sounding bookshelves would be a good idea as you will sometimes be sitting very close to them. On a budget the new Pioneer's come to mind. Add a sub if your tastes need it, an inexpensive 10-12" Dayton or BIC would be fine for such a room. If you don't want to bother with a sub, you may be able to get by with a larger 6.5 - 8" bookshelf.

Sticking to a simple 2.1 audio setup (never 7.1 or more) means you can stick with an inexpensive receiver. I'd suggest a low end Onkyo or Denon that has Audyssey dynamic eq, which is nice to have for low volume listening. The receiver will give you the flexibility you need to set everything up for the smoothest use possible (TV/cable, xbox, PC, odd ipod or whatever here and there). Obviously, make sure it has a phono input. They are not always there these days.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sounds like your set on that size TV.

Pretty much.
Quote:

When you ask on suggestion about the speakers, are you planning to go 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 or something I didn't mention?

I am thinking 2.0, maybe add a sub later if it fits in my budget. I haven't figured on a price range for the receiver yet.
Quote:

Your bedroom will be a combo computer room too?

Yes.
Quote:

I find this to be a weird statement Haven't watched a blu-ray movie in ages

I think the word ages is kinda funny, blu hasn't been out that long.
Also sorry to read or for me to get the understanding that you might not like exceptional picture quality and/or some fantastic lossless audio.

Sorry about that. What I meant to say is that I don't ever recall renting/buying a blu-ray disc, sticking to online streaming for movies/shows. Not to say that this will not change in the future.
Quote:

Also, what is the budget for what you want, not including the TV or TT.

Budget is flexible but I'd like to start small. I'm thinking <200$ for the receiver+speakers. To repeat the post title - completely out of my league here.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutewit View Post

Budget is flexible but I'd like to start small. I'm thinking <200$ for the receiver+speakers. To repeat the post title - completely out of my league here.

At that budget range, your best bet is to look for a used receiver on local Craiglist. And even the speakers, too. Where do you live?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #8 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Seattle.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 752
You should have lots of options in a major metro area like that for a receiver for $100. For receivers, look for Denon, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Pioneer. If you find a few that look interesting to you, you might start a thread in the AVS AMPs, Receivers, and Processors forum, share the links, and see which ones people recommend.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #10 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Two things.

One, most less-expensive receivers don't have phono preamps. Does your turntable have a built-in phono preamp?

Two, don't put the speakers on the same surface as the turntable. Turntables need to be mounted on inert surfaces, particularly not ones that will be vibrated by every bass note that comes out of the speakers.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #11 of 11 Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Two things.

One, most less-expensive receivers don't have phono preamps. Does your turntable have a built-in phono preamp?

Two, don't put the speakers on the same surface as the turntable. Turntables need to be mounted on inert surfaces, particularly not ones that will be vibrated by every bass note that comes out of the speakers.

The turntable does indeed have a built-in phono preamp. From the website - "Pre-amp Phono: 2.5 mV nominal at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec".

Thanks for the tip on the surfaces.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page