Speakers for a 'great room' - 20X20X20 - 5.1/music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a huge great room in our new home blueprints that we're building this year.

The room is about 20X20 with 20' ceilings. The room is far from closed off.

We will have speakers in a cabinet on a 'media wall' about 8-9 feet apart. We are flexible on surrounds/subwoofer placement.

What's a good route to go on the 'big speaker' sound? Budget is flexible, but would like to keep it under 2k for the mains...

Receiver is a new, Elite SC-55, but am open to adding an emotiva amp or going a different direction if need be.

We have def tech mythos one's in our current family room -- 17 X 15 X 9 - and they sound good, but not the 'big' sound... I have old AV123 Onix Rockets in the theater room...

Was thinking B&W 682 or CM9s... then heard some Monitor Audio RX8's that I really liked... I've heard very good things about Aperion - and their verus line...

Any other good suggestions? about 70% tv/sports/movies and 30% music...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
focus on the large tower speakers for L & R and the largest center channel that will match the other front speakers. You will need "cone area" producing sound to attempt to fill a huge volume like you describe. Probably two 15" subwoofers (12" at the very least).

How far will the seating be from the media wall ? the 8' or 9' separation between the L & R towers may not be enough.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Ok, I'll give this a try.

In a room this size, your aim should be to duplicate a professional movie theater. You WILL want a projector + screen and appropriate room light control. These don't cost as much as you might think & the audio is also remarkably affordable for "pro" sound.

FRONT CHANNEL POSSIBILITIES:
Klipsch Heresy III - I have seen people with large theater designs on this forum use Klipsch Cornwall and the Heresy series is very similar. You will need to buy them separately (each) and are $800 each normally. I advised finding them at a much lower cost "used".
Here is a used one for $350 with only a cosmetic blemish:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Klip...item3f102c219b

In a pinch, you can buy 2 sets of these affordable speakers for the LCR (but since they're sold in "pairs" you will have one left over as a back in case one of them dies off). Although they are listed as "surround" speakers, there is no reason why these can't work in a home theater for a large room as the "fronts". You can also consider these for use as surrounds although in your room, I would bet the smaller brother 8320 model will work just as well in as a "surround".
JBL 8340A THX $529
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/jbl-8340a.html

For surround speakers, I think you should go for a minimum of 2 sets of these for 7.1 surrounds (I think there might be room to run 8 of these (two for each channel to duplicate an "array" like you see in theaters.)
JBL 8320 THX (Surround) $247
http://www.spectrumaudio.com/jbl-8320.html

You might want 2 subwoofers, but one could do the trick in a corner.

Cerwin Vega Monster CVA-118 from Musician's Friend in the "gently used" section for $764

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...RWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

-------------------------------------

In closing, I think if you're not going to go "all the way" and buy acoustic treatment curtains, panels and some carpeting, then spending a bunch on gear and speakers isn't a great idea in a big room like this. Large rooms REQUIRE treatments to sound good, period. To do anything less is a crap job and you will be disappointed with the results.

I advise you to consult people on this forum who have designed large theaters on a budget for pointers and ideas. Designing a large theater is a challenge and although it can be done on a budget, each piece needs to be thought out. While my equipment links should give a start on thinking about possibilities, there are still more options out there. It took me a while to figure out the "affordable/budget" speaker options I linked in this post and they should be able to get the job done but I'm not the de-facto authority in this area. There is MUCH more planning to consider to do this right.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page