Old 01-07-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Spending $1000 on either of those speakers WOULD be catastrophic...lol. . . .

The second choice for $1000 would be the PSB Image T5 speakers; again, a much better-sounding speaker in every way.

. . . .

ANY tower speaker you can find On the Audio Advisor speaker website for over $500/pair will sound a lot better than that crummy Mirage, and the Energy isn't much better!

Those speakers you named at the start are speakers that would give any serious listener a serious laugh, at their ridiculous prices. The Mirage has a terrible harsh tweeter and the Energy is just a 2nd-rate speaker in every way.

To the OP: An AVS member just posted in the Energy owners thread today his experience with the RC-70s and PSB Image T6 towers (the model up from the Image T5 commsysman recommends) in his home, and he found the Energy's to be a touch better. And he conducted some tests and found they have a better frequency response.

YMMV, because everyone's tastes are a little different, and the individual in home experience--different for different rooms, different houses--will be different from even what you would hear if you auditioned them in a store.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

The audio press is not perfect, but in general they pick stuff to review that they are fairly sure that they can say something good about; often because they have heard the stuff somewhere first. They are at least pretty knowledgeable and reasonably objective when they do a review in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. Home Theater is another good source.

PSB and Monitor Audio have repeatedly had excellent reviews in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound on several models (they obviously can't review every model from every manufacturer). Compare that to the COMPLETE ABSENCE of ANY review of ANY Energy or Mirage speaker in recent years. Duhhhhhh...

Home Theater, one of your "good sources," seemed to like the Energy (RC-70) and Mirage (OMD-15) speakers in question...
http://www.hometheater.com/content/e...speaker-system
http://www.hometheater.com/content/m...speaker-system

As did Ultimate AV Mag...

And Soundstage...
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc70.htm
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc10.htm

And Home Theater & Sound...http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...restiges10.htm
Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
TEST IT OUT IN YOUR HOME!!! DAMN RIGHT! NO SUBSTITUTE FOR IT.

Choose the speaker from any brand, that attracts you the most - then buy
and test it out in your home, for the 30 day trial period. While Mirage, or
Energy is not my first choice, I do not consider them bad speakers.[/quote]
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes those reviews are a few that I myself saw. So I guess a good question would be can someone recommend somewhere in nyc that I can listen to the speakers in question? Including perhaps the psb and monitor audio although that gentlemen's credibility seems questionable. Or someone that offers this so mentioned 30 day trial period.

Thank you cel I read the post in the energy thread.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Home Theater, one of your "good sources," seemed to like the Energy (RC-70) and Mirage (OMD-15) speakers in question...
http://www.hometheater.com/content/m...speaker-system

As did Ultimate AV Mag...

And Soundstage...
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc70.htm
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc10.htm

And Home Theater & Sound...http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...restiges10.htm

This might get me in trouble with the moderators, but I love this saying,

"To know that one knows what one knows, and to know that one doesn't know what one doesn't know, there lies true wisdom." (Confucius).

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget to review your own; wouldn't want to sell yourself short, would we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post

Thanks for proving me right. That is the most ignorant blanket statement that I think I have read on AVS to date.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone will dump all over me for mentioning Audio Advisor again, but they give you 30 days to try out anything at home and then return it for a full refund. You pay no tax or shipping on your order, but you DO have to pay the return shipping cost.

You can go to the PSB website and put in your zip code and get the local dealer details.

Oops..got to run...these Energy owners have come to question my credibility some more and they have pitchforks and a rope....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

Yes those reviews are a few that I myself saw. So I guess a good question would be can someone recommend somewhere in nyc that I can listen to the speakers in question? Including perhaps the psb and monitor audio although that gentlemen's credibility seems questionable. Or someone that offers this so mentioned 30 day trial period.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Someone will dump all over me for mentioning Audio Advisor again, but they give you 30 days to try out anything at home and then return it for a full refund. You pay no tax or shipping on your order, but you DO have to pay the return shipping cost.

Yea that return shipping would be a doozy. What you figure a 100 for a good pair of floorstanders. I am by all means a limited budget person. I saw the same thing on vanns website.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Since you are in NYC, you should be able to find places to audition. Many major speaker manufacturers have a "where to buy" search function on their website that shows you local dealers. Then if you look up those dealers online, you can probably find a few that have a wide range of speakers to audition so that you only have to go to a few places. For instance, here are the pages for Focal America and Paradigm websites, two brands you should definitely look at if doing local auditioning.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Stereophile and The Absolute Sound did reviews on the Image T6 and gave it rave reviews.

The Stereophile reviewer said it was his new standard for speakers in this price range.

The Absolute Sound editors selected it from all of the speakers in the world as the speaker for its Recommended System for $3600 in a feature article.

The frequency response test John Atkinson did on it showed outstanding results and was published in the article. HIS tests were done by an acknowledged expert in the field and were done under carefully controlled conditions with calibrated equipment, and you can view the results online. It showed an essentially FLAT response within 2db from below 40 HZ to 20 Khz, so I wonder what could possibly be any better. Perfection is hard to beat! (apparently the Energy tested better than perfect...lol)

I think I would need a lot more evidence than one alleged private test by one person who happens to be an Energy owner to contradict all of the accumulated evidence that the PSB Image T6 is one of the most outstanding speakers available.

Of course anything you read about Energy speakers on the Energy Owner's thread would have to be perfectly objective, huh? You think? ROFL!!!

The Soundstage review of the RC-70 is certainly a rave review, however; he left no doubt whatsoever that he found it very good.

You should always hear them in YOUR home in YOUR system before you buy; anything else is a crapshoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

To the OP: An AVS member just posted in the Energy owners thread today his experience with the RC-70s and PSB Image T6 towers (the model up from the Image T5 commsysman recommends) in his home, and he found the Energy's to be a touch better. And he conducted some tests and found they have a better frequency response.

YMMV, because everyone's tastes are a little different, and the individual in home experience--different for different rooms, different houses--will be different from even what you would hear if you auditioned them in a store.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

It should be between $50 and $100 depending (NYC back to Michigan...?)

That is IF you decide to return them, of course. I feel it is worth it to chance the cost in order to have them at home for a couple of weeks to make sure I want them.

Another big deal to me is that by getting them from Audio Advisor I definitely save the $80 in sales tax I would pay in California for each $1000; don't know how it is in NYC.

The ideal thing, of course, is to find a local dealer that will let you take them home yourself for a few days. Lots of luck with that.

Quote:

Yea that return shipping would be a doozy. What you figure a 100 for a good pair of floorstanders. I am by all means a limited budget person. I saw the same thing on vanns website.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Found a few local dealers that carry paradigm, focal, and monitor audio of course no energy or mirage at these stores and I'm sure they will really appreciate me shopping in these places. Too bad for them I guess. Maybe this week I can get out to check out these stores and see what we can come up with now if I could only hear the 2 I originally posted about.

Thanks commsysman for your help and everyone else if anyone else has input please let me know.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think I would need a lot more evidence than one alleged private test by one person who happens to be an Energy owner to contradict all of the accumulated evidence that the PSB Image T6 is one of the most outstanding speakers available.

Of course anything you read about Energy speakers on the Energy Owner's thread would have to be perfectly objective, huh? You think? ROFL!!!

Are you talking to me? Or the OP?

Since you asked, personally, I would rather read subjective listening tests from people in the many speaker owner forums at AVS, over hearing or believing what some guy in the forum has to say who always seems to think he knows it all (despite the contrary), seems mostly focused on trying to impress his opinions on others, and is almost never wiling to qualify the limitations of what he knows, instead always expressing himself as having the absolute best opinion.

So definitely yes! I would rather read in the speaker owner threads. Enthusiast community forums should not be popularity contests when it comes to judging what advice to take. But as a rule of thumb, I find that for me, usually, the least popular person that doesn't play well with others is a poor choice to listen to at all.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stereophile and The Absolute Sound did reviews on the Image T6 and gave it rave reviews.

The Stereophile reviewer said it was his new standard for speakers in this price range.

The Absolute Sound editors selected it from all of the speakers in the world as the speaker for its Recommended System for $3600 in a feature article.

The frequency response test John Atkinson did on it showed outstanding results and was published in the article. HIS tests were done by an acknowledged expert in the field and were done under carefully controlled conditions with calibrated equipment, and you can view the results online. It showed an essentially FLAT response within 2db from below 40 HZ to 20 Khz, so I wonder what could possibly be any better. Perfection is hard to beat! (apparently the Energy tested better than perfect...lol)

The Soundstage review of the RC-70 is certainly a rave review, however; he left no doubt whatsoever that he found it very good.

You should always hear them in YOUR home in YOUR system before you buy; anything else is a crapshoot!

No one is discrediting the reviews of the Image T6... or the measurements in those reviews... No one can argue that the T6 do not measure well, objectively.

Having owned PSB Image speakers, I have no doubt the Image T6 is a great product, as is almost everything PSB puts out it would seem... But that doesn't mean everyone will agree that they sound better than other options mentioned in this thread - that is a subjective opinion. And yet you state your subjective opinion as if it is fact... and **** on others' opinions.

You use reviewers' subjective opinions to support your opinion when it's convenient, but call Energy and Mirage products junk despite the very positive subjective opinions of other reviewers...

And while we're on that topic of subjective vs. objective...
"Of course anything you read about Energy speakers on the Energy Owner's thread would have to be perfectly objective, huh? You think? ROFL!!!"
You're condescending to others for having a different opinion... A member here gave his opinion - the RC-70 sounded better to him, in his room... You and I both know that is SUBJECTIVE (that damn word again)...

He then went on to say that, IN HIS ROOM, the RC-70 measured flatter. You even emphasize the importance of auditioning in one's own room with one's own gear, so I presume you're well aware of the effects a room can have on measurements... He even put in a disclaimer to essentially say that, although he did his best to measure from the same position, there are likely issues due to the room, and in a different setting, he may prefer the T6. No where in his comparison did he say the RC-70 is, objectively, a better speaker.... And I don't see someone here making that claim either...

Yet you seem to ignore that, and have a snide remark for that - "It showed an essentially FLAT response within 2db from below 40 HZ to 20 Khz, so I wonder what could possibly be any better. Perfection is hard to beat! (apparently the Energy tested better than perfect...lol)"

Like I said, I like what I've heard from PSB, and Paul Barton is well respected in the industry for a reason... I haven't heard MA's speakers, but they have a great reputation too.... If the OP can, he should check them out as well...

But the OP asked about 2 speakers specifically, and people gave their input on them... No reason to belittle people for liking those products...
Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nobody has the Omni OMD line in store, but Best Buy does have the newer Os3-fs line, that has a similar soundstage, which is very open.

So you can listen to them and if you don't like that open soundstage sound, you wouldn't like the OMD series either.

I do like the sound of Mirage Omni and EL panels, so I bought the OMD-15's and associated surrounds/center.

Really like them.

Quote:

Found a few local dealers that carry paradigm, focal, and monitor audio of course no energy or mirage at these stores and I'm sure they will really appreciate me shopping in these places. Too bad for them I guess. Maybe this week I can get out to check out these stores and see what we can come up with now if I could only hear the 2 I originally posted about.

Thanks commsysman for your help and everyone else if anyone else has input please let me know.

buytme
Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinion I work for bb actually. Have heard them plenty. Beginning to think I may just splurge on b&w cm9's I'm getting a headache from all this research.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your opinion I work for bb actually. Have heard them plenty. Beginning to think I may just splurge on b&w cm9's I'm getting a headache from all this research.

It shouldn't be a headache... It should be fun...

Reading reviews and visiting the forums is a good start to make sure you're not wasting your money altogether (ahem... Bose, for example)... but opinions will always differ and you'll rarely find a clear consensus on one product over another... There are many here that are happy to share their experiences, but there is no way to know what motives people have when you're only talking to a screen name...

So audition all you can, and let your ears decide. Don't let the bickering on the forums become a buzzkill for you... Ultimately, you have to like what you buy, and no number of professional or forum member reviews is going to change that....
Old 01-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

Nobody has the Omni OMD line in store, but Best Buy does have the newer Os3-fs line, that has a similar soundstage, which is very open.

So you can listen to them and if you don't like that open soundstage sound, you wouldn't like the OMD series either.

I do like the sound of Mirage Omni and EL panels, so I bought the OMD-15's and associated surrounds/center.

Really like them.

I have listened to the Os3-fs line and the OMD-15 is far superior. I will admit that the Mirage do have a unique sound but that does not make them bad just different. I have listened to many speakers B&W, PSB, Klipsch, Def Tech, Goldenear, and it is all personal choice. I love the Mirage and feel them a good value. Are there other speakers in that price range that sound good, well of course we never said there was not. We just tried to answer a question.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Well after a little more listening at bb I liked the mirage but the b & w cms sounded a fair amount better to me. But it was only the os3 mirages so I don't think it was much of a fair shake still have to go to the city and listen to the psb and monitor audio offerings. And of course my room is nothing like theirs.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Then be sure to try to listen to some Focals. I've seen a few threads where people that liked B&Ws found out that they liked Focal speakers better. zieglj01, who has posted in this thread, often recommends them, too.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

I liked the B&W's until I heard The Goldenears. I even put the PSB Synchrony One which I felt still needed a sub, B&W CM9, and B&W 802 Diamonds all against the Goldenears. The Goldenears in my opinion came out on top, for a lot less money.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well I do get the b&w stuff for almost half off. For some dumb reason I feel like a woman saying this but the aesthetics on the mirages keep pulling me back to them and I'm sure there twice as good as my quintet sl's. IDK I am not good with decisions if you can't tell.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Well I don't know what you are getting the CM9's for but if you can get them for $1500 a pair I say go for the B&W package. That will be a hard deal to beat.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I'd get the RC-70s