Mordaunt short owners thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 93 Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Recently just got the Mordaunt Short Aviano 1 bookselfs.
Very impressed by them in the little bit of time I had with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 93 Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post

Recently just got the Mordaunt Short Aviano 1 bookselfs.
Very impressed by them in the little bit of time I had with them.

Congrats! I have the Carnival 2 and based on this entry level speaker I am extremely impressed with Mordaunt Short. I wish there were a way locally to hear other speakers from this great company.

Are you using them for music, or are they in your HT?

post #63 of 93 Old 04-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Are you using them for music, or are they in your HT?

Music.

After hearing the Aviano bookselfs I can't help but think the Aviano 6 or especially 8 would be so much better of a tower speaker than the PSBs I currently have.
I can't believe there is almost no buzz about Mordaunt Short they sound really good.
Maybe in Europe they are more popular there is very few dealers in North America.
post #64 of 93 Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, this really surprised me as well. The owner's thread, obviously, is a ghost town! There are even shockingly few reviews on the internet.

My quest for bookshelf speakers included auditioning several pairs (there's a thread here somewhere of the experience), but since this was specific to desktop placement it was very difficult to find speakers I wanted to sit 3 feet from my ears. I heard some good speakers, some outrageously bright speakers, but none came close to the Carnival 2 in overall quality specific to this purpose. Shocking that this level of transparency could be gained for $250 a pair.

I'm happy for you! If you ever get a chance to hear others please report back.

post #65 of 93 Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 AM

That's what I mean by no buzz hardly any reviews around.
And Mordaunt Short isn't new or anything they've been around since 1967.

Anyways the great thing about them is immaculate music enjoyment so far.
Meh recordings sound very enjoyable to listen to.
You know there is still flaws about the piece.
But it's not glaring your ears about it. It's extremely easy to not even care at all about the flaws of a recording and just get back to what is truly important enjoying the music.
post #66 of 93 Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Liked: 10
Does anyone have experience with the Alumni 2? I'm looking at the 5.1 package. I was all set on the Energy micro (small speakers are a requirement), but the MS Alumni looks like a solid package.

Thanks for any input.

bmp
post #67 of 93 Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmp0f5 View Post

Does anyone have experience with the Alumni 2? I'm looking at the 5.1 package. I was all set on the Energy micro (small speakers are a requirement), but the MS Alumni looks like a solid package.

Thanks for any input.

bmp

I have only heard the Carnival series but the step up Aviano 1 and 2's are on sale at A4L at $225 and $275, resp. This appears to be quite a deal since most people grabbed the Carnival 2's at $250 and the S30 goes for $220. For an extra $5 an Aviano 1 sounds like a no brainer.
post #68 of 93 Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 AM

^^^

Thanks, but I'm unable to go with bookshelf speakers in the living room. I will look into those when I build the downstairs HT.
post #69 of 93 Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone actually compared the Aviano 1 to the Carnival 2? I'm debating between these two speakers and the Cambridge Audio S30. I'm guessing they are going to be comparable in sound, although it appears like the Aviano 1 is rear ported. All are also about the same price right now as well. I'm guessing the Aviano has the best "look" to it, so all things being equal this may be the way to go.
post #70 of 93 Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
looking to sell my carnival speakers(2 bookshelf 2 dipole 1 center) if anybody's interested. can ship if price is right. see ad in classifieds biggrin.gif

"To the journey..."
LG 60PV450
Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains
Polk RTi CSi A6 Center
Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600
Marantz BD7004
Dual 1218
post #71 of 93 Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I always loved MS speakers. Unfortunately, they don't get much attention.
Nethawk likes this.
post #72 of 93 Old 06-20-2012, 05:48 PM

Well, I just pulled the trigger for a pair of Aviano 1's at $200 (for both). Too good of a deal to pass up. It will probably be a week or two before I'm able to hook them up and give them a listen.
post #73 of 93 Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Mordaunt short speakers for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only heard the mezzo 2 speakers and aviano 12 inch sub, but liked the sound a lot
post #74 of 93 Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats Geoff, be sure to report back.

Quote:
I always loved MS speakers. Unfortunately, they don't get much attention.

Ain't that the truth! Shhhhhh - it's a secret! biggrin.gif

post #75 of 93 Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 PM

First post!

Has anybody heard the Carnival 1's? Their smaller size/price is attractive, and I wouldn't mind pairing them with a sub.
post #76 of 93 Old 10-02-2012, 07:54 AM

Liked: 31
Just a bump to rave about my Aviano 6s. I've had them for almost a year now and they have settled in to being downright amazing.
At first I found the highs a touch harsh but over time they (or my ears) have smoothed out into all around performers. Great low range extension, amazing lifelike mids, and now silky highs.
Soundstage is fantastic and can really pull together a cohesive 3D image. On some stereo material I've almost gotten a surround type feeling with my eyes closed.
All in all I couldn't be more pleased. Now to find a centre channel.
post #77 of 93 Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Anybody running the Mezzo 8's? None of the west coast dealers seem to stock them.

For Sale:

Salamander Synergy Triple 20 walnut/black aluminum. Like new.
B&W HTM62 Wenge
Rotel RSX-1057

Local only. Photo's up in gallery, PM for additional info.
post #78 of 93 Old 01-24-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefloyd View Post

Anybody running the Mezzo 8's? None of the west coast dealers seem to stock them.
I would love to hear the Mezzo 8's. I have yet to find a dealer that carries them. I too would like to hear some feedback on these from any owners out there!
post #79 of 93 Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 AM

My understanding is MS is in distributor limbo and that's why they're so hard to audition. I've called a fair bit of dealers in Washington and California and none of them actually stock them. Shame since i get the feeling this is a real hidden value brand/model.

For Sale:

Salamander Synergy Triple 20 walnut/black aluminum. Like new.
B&W HTM62 Wenge
Rotel RSX-1057

Local only. Photo's up in gallery, PM for additional info.
post #80 of 93 Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM

I don't think their in limbo they have same distributor as Cambridge Audio and both are owned by the same company. Just very few dealers only like 20 or so for the whole USA.
Only a few Europe speaker companies are really big in North America. B&W,Monitor Audio,KEF,Focal and I guess Dynaudio.

Just like in Europe from what I understand is PSB and Paradigm speakers are hard to come by.

However the are a couple internet dealers so it's really not that hard to actually get Mordaunt Short.
I got a pair at price that I just had to buy them. And WOW they are impressive.
Nethawk likes this.
post #81 of 93 Old 03-03-2013, 03:09 PM

Hi Def Lifestyle has the speaker deal of the decade going on. A pair of Aviano 6 towers for $479 that's just a crazy good deal there.
post #82 of 93 Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Hi guys. I’m really interested in a comparison between the Carnival 2’s and the Cambridge S30’s. Has anyone directly compared them?

I’d like to pair them with their respective center channel speakers (Carnival 5 or Cambridge S50)…and eventually a sub. They all appear to be so similar. I was about to go with the Cambridge set until I discovered the Carnival series.

I plan to place them on a mantle that is 10” deep. Since there will not be much space between the wall and the back of the speaker, would the Carnival 2’s (front-facing port) outperform the S30’s (rear-facing port).
post #83 of 93 Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp McNealy View Post

Hi guys. I’m really interested in a comparison between the Carnival 2’s and the Cambridge S30’s. Has anyone directly compared them?

I’d like to pair them with their respective center channel speakers (Carnival 5 or Cambridge S50)…and eventually a sub. They all appear to be so similar. I was about to go with the Cambridge set until I discovered the Carnival series.

I plan to place them on a mantle that is 10” deep. Since there will not be much space between the wall and the back of the speaker, would the Carnival 2’s (front-facing port) outperform the S30’s (rear-facing port).
Jim Z says that the S30 is one of the best bookshelves he has heard. I have the Carnivals but I am using them for surrounds. I myself would like to hear a comparison of the two.
post #84 of 93 Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Jim Z says that the S30 is one of the best bookshelves he has heard. I have the Carnivals but I am using them for surrounds. I myself would like to hear a comparison of the two.

hi, i would like to know which carnival you got for youre surrounds? i just bought the carnival short 2 too for my surrounds. what crossover do you use for them? thanks.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #85 of 93 Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post

Hi Def Lifestyle has the speaker deal of the decade going on. A pair of Aviano 6 towers for $479 that's just a crazy good deal there.

I live less then an hour and a half away from Hi Def Lifestyle so I'm thinkin about taking the trek to Harrisburg P.A. to have a listen to the Aviano 6 towers. From the few reviews I've been able to find online and their specs it seems like way beyond the deal of the decade. I'm on a bit of a tight budget for towers and I just picked up the polk tsi300 for $300.00 pr but if these are as good as I'm reading for the price I can def. squeeze and extra 180.
post #86 of 93 Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 PM

I just got my aviano 6's home and set up and all I can say is wow, these speakers sound great in my house. The amount and quality of speaker you get for 479.00 a pair is beyond amazing.

Its a shame these speakers are barely known of in the states.
post #87 of 93 Old 05-30-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Congrats! I felt the same way when I first listened to the Carnival 2 (which I just learned made Stereophile's 2012 recommended list) - why aren't more people talking about these speakers??? I'm sure the Aviano are that much better.

post #88 of 93 Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

^^^ Congrats! I felt the same way when I first listened to the Carnival 2 (which I just learned made Stereophile's 2012 recommended list) - why aren't more people talking about these speakers??? I'm sure the Aviano are that much better.

The aviano's are def. a better speaker then the carnivals (not to knock the carnivals, they're still a really good speaker) which really makes it mind blowing that the aviano 6 can be had for less then the carnival 6. I believe the Avianos are their mid teir speaker with the carnivals being at the bottom and the mezzos being at the top.

Mordaunt-short's biggest problem, at least here in the states is that there's hardly anybody that sells them. When I started researching them I think I only came across two retailers that had the 6's available for sale with one wanting twice as much money then the other so it REALLY limits ones choices.

and thanks, I'm really loving these speakers. smile.gif
sheshechic likes this.
post #89 of 93 Old 08-11-2013, 05:30 PM

Anyone have a worthwhile opinion to offer in choosing between an Aviano 7 sub vs. a Sunfire SDS10? The Aviano is selling for $230 at A4L (MSRP is $700), the Sunfire will be about $350, so cost is close enough not to matter.

I've never owned either brand, but have heard some quite good systems with Sunfire subs. OTOH, my mains and center are all KEF (104/2 mains), and maybe the 'British sound' of the Avianos would be a better match? These will be used roughly 50-50 music / HT.

Any thoughts are welcome -- TIA!
post #90 of 93 Old 09-21-2013, 08:09 AM

Hello all!!

I just placed an order for a pair of Aviano 6 towers from HiDef Lifestyle (through Amazon), for the GREAT price of $399 with free shipping. Based on what I've been reading about them, especially the Sound & Vision review (that's now missing from their webite for some reason), I believe they will be right up my alley. I am very anxious to receive them. I'll be posting my thoughts (with pics) sometime in the near future. Stay tuned... smile.gif

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page