Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 93 Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Nice pickup!

I've been pretty impressed with Mordaunt Short speakers so far. I demo'd a pair of Aviano 1's, and liked them quite a bit, although I didn't keep them.

I recently bought a pair of Mezzo 1's, which are definitely a step up... particularly in the bass - tighter/more controlled. I'd say the high end is smoother as well.

Again, I probably won't keep them since I really like my Wharfedale Jade 1's... so the Mezzo's will be in the classifieds soon if someone is looking for a pair at a nice price wink.gif... but they still did impress me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 93 Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Aviano 6's arrived this morning. Talk about fast delivery, I ordered them on Saturday evening, they shipped out yesterday, and arrived in one day. Granted, I'm only around 180 miles away from HiDEF Lifestyle, but that's still very speedy!!

Taking them out of the box and thoroughly looking them over, I must say that I'm quite impressed with the build quality of them. They pass the knuckle test, giving a fairly solid thud when knocking on the cabinet. Also, the fit and finish is excellent, as good as any other speakers I have owned in their price range (at msrp, and amazing @ $399 a pair). So far, so good!!

I've got them hooked up and I'm playing my first CD through them, Diana Krall's "Stepping Out". I won't go into too much detail just yet, as I want to wait until I do a bit of experimenting with placement, and allow them to break in some. But early on I must say that I'm quite impressed, and I believe I am going to be very happy to live with these for quite some time. I listen to a wide variety of music, ranging from classic rock, blues, folk, country, bluegrass, jazz, americana, classic r&b/soul. I am a HUGE fan of female vocals and guitars (especially the Fender Telecaster), so the midrange is very important to me.

BTW, the Aviano's are replacing a pair of Boston Acoustics VR965 powered towers that have served me fairly well. I picked them up on Craigslist several months back for a steal of a price, and they sound excellent in their own right. The Lynnfield tweeters are especially pleasing to my ears. But, I have grown frustrated with trying to obtain the perfect placement. I have found the built in subs make them hard to place where they don't sound boomy at times, and overall I just don't think the bass is musical enough for my tastes.

The rest of my 2 channel system is as follows:
  • Harman Kardon HK6650R integrated amp (used as a preamp)
  • Rotel RKB-2100 amp (100 wpc 8 ohm, 170 wpc 4 ohm)
  • Music Hall MMF-2.2LE turntable
  • Marantz CD-5004 cd player
  • Yamaha DVD-S2500 universal disc player (for SACD/DVD-Audio playback)
  • Sony BDP-S580
  • Denon DR-M22 3 head cassette deck
  • APC H15 power conditioner

Further thoughts on the speakers to come soon, but here's some pics for now:

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
post #93 of 93 Old 11-20-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post

The Aviano 6's arrived this morning. Talk about fast delivery, I ordered them on Saturday evening, they shipped out yesterday, and arrived in one day. Granted, I'm only around 180 miles away from HiDEF Lifestyle, but that's still very speedy!!

Taking them out of the box and thoroughly looking them over, I must say that I'm quite impressed with the build quality of them. They pass the knuckle test, giving a fairly solid thud when knocking on the cabinet. Also, the fit and finish is excellent, as good as any other speakers I have owned in their price range (at msrp, and amazing @ $399 a pair). So far, so good!!

I've got them hooked up and I'm playing my first CD through them, Diana Krall's "Stepping Out". I won't go into too much detail just yet, as I want to wait until I do a bit of experimenting with placement, and allow them to break in some. But early on I must say that I'm quite impressed, and I believe I am going to be very happy to live with these for quite some time. I listen to a wide variety of music, ranging from classic rock, blues, folk, country, bluegrass, jazz, americana, classic r&b/soul. I am a HUGE fan of female vocals and guitars (especially the Fender Telecaster), so the midrange is very important to me.

BTW, the Aviano's are replacing a pair of Boston Acoustics VR965 powered towers that have served me fairly well. I picked them up on Craigslist several months back for a steal of a price, and they sound excellent in their own right. The Lynnfield tweeters are especially pleasing to my ears. But, I have grown frustrated with trying to obtain the perfect placement. I have found the built in subs make them hard to place where they don't sound boomy at times, and overall I just don't think the bass is musical enough for my tastes.

The rest of my 2 channel system is as follows:
  • Harman Kardon HK6650R integrated amp (used as a preamp)
  • Rotel RKB-2100 amp (100 wpc 8 ohm, 170 wpc 4 ohm)
  • Music Hall MMF-2.2LE turntable
  • Marantz CD-5004 cd player
  • Yamaha DVD-S2500 universal disc player (for SACD/DVD-Audio playback)
  • Sony BDP-S580
  • Denon DR-M22 3 head cassette deck
  • APC H15 power conditioner

Further thoughts on the speakers to come soon, but here's some pics for now:
How are the new speakers treating you??

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page